Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 AM #1

Default smoking ban in UK.

i personally object to the smoking ban cause it seems gradually ,by steath,our civil liberties are being eroded.
whats wrong with there being smoking pubs/restaurants and non smoking ones.?

no,i dont smoke and frankly smokers dont bother me.

i heard the next thing will be banning drinking in pubs. lol.
secrets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 AM #2

Do you work in a pub?
Dr43%er is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 AM #3

I'm against the smoking ban as well. I don't smoke myself, and while I don't work in a pub now, I have worked in a total of 8 pubs in the past.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 AM #4

I smoke myself but as for the smoking ban instead of having a ban why dont they start to have the seperate bars in a pub as they used to have like have a smokers room and a none smokers room
Ann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 PM #5
Banned

Banned

The Smoking ban is a great thing

Those who choose to ignore it will get fined, if they are caught, that is

Naturally, I am a Non-smoker and hate the smell and everything which goes with it. But I have much stronger views against it, so this is like Birthday & Xmas all rolled into one.

I know quite a few smokers who have now kicked the habit.

That is the best direction to go. It's for the best, in every way

nodisharmony
nodisharmony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM #6
Banned

Favourites:
UBB: Victor
Banned

Favourites:

I love the smoking ban.
Cant wait for the winter and all the smokers outside there work places getting wet.
spitfire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM #7
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by spitfire
I love the smoking ban.
Cant wait for the winter and all the smokers outside there work places getting wet.

I know spitfire.

In the past, non-smokers had to suffer in offices and enclosed spaces, pubs, clubs, etc.. and try to breathe too.

If you go up to one smoker and ask politely that it is making you feel ill or you are finding it hard to breathe, they will reply:-

***** off, I will smoke when I *****ing like.

Look's like the tables have turned now.

Justice for a change

nodisharmony
Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 PM #8

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

The smoking ban is terrible. It's a nanny state gone mad.

The government heaps up the tax on cigarettes and then what do smokers get? A ban? How nice of them.

And if people are now forced to smoke outside, they'll start leaving cigarette stubs in the streets, etc...

What's wrong with smoking areas and non-smoking areas?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like smoking and I will never smoke, but no-one forces anyone to smoke, and people should not be punished just because they smoke.
Matt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 PM #9
Banned

Banned

The smoking ban is great!

Why should non-smokers put up with the augmented risk of developing lung cancer because of second hand smoke?

Imagine the smoke a barman/barmaid used to inhale during an evening of work.
cepb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 PM #10
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt

The government heaps up the tax on cigarettes and then what do smokers get? A ban? How nice of them.

And if people are now forced to smoke outside, they'll start leaving cigarette stubs in the streets, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I don't like smoking and I will never smoke, but no-one forces anyone to smoke, and people should not be punished just because they smoke.
It is the neverending inconsideration for non-smokers which has prompted this ban, along with this Americanized society, where everyone is suing each other.

Not to mention, what it is costing the NHS.

Also, the Customs and Excise are not checking as many bags and cars coming from Europe, checking for contraband Fags & Tobacco.

It is all about so many issues, but it will be a great move, when everyone just accepts the inevitable.

nodisharmony
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM #11
Banned

Favourites:
Banned

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt but no-one forces anyone to smoke, and people should not be punished just because they smoke.
Exactley Matt,no one forces smokers to smoke but smokers force me to smoke,pre-law.So why should i be punished for not smoking.
And they do have seprate smoking areas now.......outside!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM #12

Can i just say, i went clubbing over the weekend and it was 10x better.

I didn't come home smelling like an ashtray, my chest wasn't hurting and i wasn't coughing up my lungs due to passive smoking and i didn't get burnt by a fag! Which is great!

What i did notice was the amount of people outside the clubs smoking, all i can say is... bring on the winter!
Tanser_Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:43 AM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by nodisharmony
Quote:

It is the neverending inconsideration for non-smokers which has prompted this ban, along with this Americanized society, where everyone is suing each other.

Also, the Customs and Excise are not checking as many bags and cars coming from Europe, checking for contraband Fags & Tobacco.

It is all about so many issues, but it will be a great move, when everyone just accepts the inevitable.

nodisharmony
The NHS makes more money from smokers than it spends on curing smoking related diseases though! They now spend twice as much treating obesity related disease as they do treating smoking related diseases. If everyone in Britain stopped smoking all at once, the government would NOT be happy about that at all!

The smoking ban is a terrible thing.

Also the smoking ban will not stop people smuggling fags into the country!
Old 13-07-2007, 12:46 AM #14
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

If someone chooses to smell like a pigs arse then let them, but it shouldn't be forced onto me. They made a choice to smoke, I didn't make a choice not to smoke - I just didn't do it. If they don't wanna go outside in the freezing cold to smoke then don't - just don't smoke - surely as humans they have the miniscule amount of self-control needed to just not stick the fag in their gob.

All my family smoke apart from me, and I'ma putting my foot down *stamps*
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:54 AM #15

great in other ways bad because in pubs my daddy goes and my uncle and im used 2 smokers in the pubs when i go there with my dad !!
x-xSapphirex-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 01:07 AM #16
Banned

Favourites:
Banned

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Quote:
Quote:

nodisharmony
The NHS makes more money from smokers than it spends on curing smoking related diseases though! They now spend twice as much treating obesity related disease as they do treating smoking related diseases. If everyone in Britain stopped smoking all at once, the government would NOT be happy about that at all!
So smoke to save the NHS?
Old 13-07-2007, 07:17 AM #17
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth

The smoking ban is a terrible thing.

Also the smoking ban will not stop people smuggling fags into the country!
Hi Ruth, our first debate together since you left, but eh, all roads that leave TIBB, are circle-roads that lead back here.

Glad your back

You say that the NHS makes more money from people smoking than those who don't smoke.

I haven't even thought about that statistic and if you wrote a letter to the Health Secretery, I am sure the reply may differ considerably. Then visit a Hospital and talk to nurses, doctors & sergeons and see what they say and think on the matter.

Obesety is another subject matter and I agree it is also a problem, even more so in the USA, but as this is a smoking debate, I shall place that issue to one side.

Nobody in the Government will ever think that everyone will stop smoking at once, it won't happen & can't happen.

They are realists and so am I, and certainly much more on this matter of disgusting cigarette smoke.

The smoking ban in a great thing and something I wished had happened 23 years ago, when I was working in an office and choking on the smoke from other smoking employees. That is the worst part about Cigarettes, "Passive smoke"

I know that the Smoking ban won't stop people stop bringing fags & tobacco into the country, but the Customs & Excise could do a lot more about it though, if the government intervenes.

What I suggest, is, a more stringent operation and anyone who exceeds the amount which is allowed into the country legally is fined £1000 instantly and all cigs & tobacco confiscated.

The rule being implemented properly and enforced to the letter. Also, anyone going beyond that and bringing 1000's & 1000's of Cigs & Tobacco back, get's a £10,000 fine instead.

Get things in perspective...

nodisharmony
Old 13-07-2007, 07:22 AM #18
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
If someone chooses to smell like a pigs **** then let them, but it shouldn't be forced onto me. They made a choice to smoke, I didn't make a choice not to smoke - I just didn't do it. If they don't want to go outside in the freezing cold to smoke then don't - just don't smoke - surely as humans they have the miniscule amount of self-control needed to just not stick the fag in their gob.

I know how you feel Lauren and I am going to start a thread all about that issue, of Smoking in the house and the family all breathing in the horrible Cigarette smoke.

Smokers will have to go outside and smoke, cold, wet, snow, rain, sunshine, thunder/lightning.

That's a shame not...

nodisharmony
Old 13-07-2007, 08:57 AM #19

the smoking ban will of course create more non smokers which is a good thing , i smoke have tryed so many times cant give it up . if so many people give up great. but taxes will get higher as a smoker we pay tax on our fags so the goverment will get that tax from everyone else including you non smokers
sarahtheangel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 09:03 AM #20

I'm not saying smoke to save the NHS!!! I don't smoke myself anyway. BUt I'm pointing out the government's hypocrisy in this matter. People are all thinking the ban is great because they are only thinking about what they want personally. There is a much bigger issue here, and not many people seem to be addressing it. You're all happy for the government to take away your civil liberties when it's something that you don't want to do anyway. Let's see what happens when they try to ban something that you do want to do. It's not a question of whether you like smoking or not. If it was that simple, I would support the ban, seeing as I don't smoke.

I think smoking in pubs should be at the discretion of the landlord. If, for example, and landlord runs a famly pub with lots of children, he may well decide that he will ban smoking in there. However, some of the pubs I've worked in have been little local pubs where the vast majority of customers are smokers. I believe the landlord should have the choice of keeping smoking in that pub. If non-smokers choose not to go in there, well, that's fine.

Further - I cannot believe that they have banned smoking in private members clubs. That's disgraceful.

Edit: Hi Nodis - thanks for your kind comments
Old 13-07-2007, 09:26 AM #21

you are absolutely right Ruth.
just wait until they ban something that other folks want to do,then it will be a different story.!
lets ban chocolate,alcohol,doughnuts,eggs,cheese.....its all bad so we are told.!

welcome to police state Britain. gggrrrr
secrets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 09:28 AM #22

I am an ex-smoker (nearly a year) and in fact I am opposed to the smoking ban. As I am a home based worker should I still smoke I would not be allowed to smoke in my own home!! my husband has his own business and is not allowed to smoke in his company vehicles!

I never as a smoker would have told anyone to get lost if they told me the smell was making them feel sick, I do have a little more character about me. Also I hate the way the non-smokers see it as a punishment for smokers and enjoy their discomfort.

I agree with those who are enjoying cleaner clubbing etc.. but I dont agree with many aspects of the current law.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 09:30 AM #23
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella

Quote:
Originally posted by spitfire
I love the smoking ban.
I totally Agree with that, i lost my nana because she smoked so i'm strongly for the ban.
Ruth*Star is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 09:36 AM #24

I love the new smoking ban! I can go out for a drink (Non Alcoholic!) and not have to worry about my baby being poisioned! It's about time smoking in public places was banned, If people are that desperate fir a cig they can go outside!
Ella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 09:37 AM #25
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
If someone chooses to smell like a pigs **** then let them, but it shouldn't be forced onto me. They made a choice to smoke, I didn't make a choice not to smoke - I just didn't do it. If they don't want to go outside in the freezing cold to smoke then don't - just don't smoke - surely as humans they have the miniscule amount of self-control needed to just not stick the fag in their gob.

I know how you feel Lauren and I am going to start a thread all about that issue, of Smoking in the house and the family all breathing in the horrible Cigarette smoke.

Smokers will have to go outside and smoke, cold, wet, snow, rain, sunshine, thunder/lightning.

That's a shame not...

nodisharmony
Your coming off as the classic ignorant , gleefull non smoker who wishes those who choose to smoke to be more like them.

Im not living in England and im not sure on the specifics of the smoking ban over their but if people want to enjoy a quiet cigarette [like me] then let them. Health risks yes , but its their life. As strange as it sounds , the gradual forbidding of cigarettes may in fact romanticize them to a degree.

Its like what John Stuart Mill said , lets do unto ourselves what we want as long as it does not harm anyone else.

And for those complaining about passive smoking , really , their is many , many places you can move to where your not in the company of smoke. And please stop making posts describing your epic battles with the evils of ash smelling clothes on a Saturday night. Its not that bad guys.

If we look at it that way , we should ****ing ban drink because of people getting sick on the streets IM WALKING ON and random scumbags pissed getting stuck into me on while walking home on a Saturday night.

Isint that passivly affecting me?! What does more damage.? Joe #477 outside the bar having a cigarette , or John #777 falling over , getting into fights , and pissing on the dustbins?!

I certainly have a feeling its John thats making the streets look worse.

But I guess some of you non-smokers drink , so banning drink would effectivly bring about the end of civilization as we know it.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ban, smoking, uk