Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-04-2019, 12:44 PM #1
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default 2019 will be Nigel Farage's year. THE BREXIT PARTY

Mrs May's failures have allowed populism to flourish in Britain

Nigel Farage is back. Less than three years after Britain voted for Brexit and Farage left politics to ‘get his life back’,
the former leader of UKIP and now leader of the Brexit Party has been forced to return to the ring. Angered by the ‘betrayal of Brexit’,
Farage looks anything but the ageing prize-fighter. I’ve known him for seven years and today he is as energetic, ambitious and confident
as he’s ever been. And he is cutting through.

Though only launched a week ago, the Brexit Party is already surging in the polls, can claim more than 100,000 registered supporters
and is tearing large chunks off the Conservative Party’s electorate. Farage’s political instincts and timing were always underestimated.
Now, he is tapping direct into a reservoir of frustration among Leavers who feel utterly cut adrift from Mrs May’s vision of Brexit, her
failure to keep ‘no deal’ on the table and decision to lend credence to Jeremy Corbyn,
a man who they were only recently asked to believe posed a major threat to their national security.

This rebooted revolt on the right could yet have profound consequences. If anything there is more space for Farage today
than there ever was before. What started as a campaign against the EU is morphing into a campaign against Westminster.
Last week, one survey suggested that one in two of Britain’s Leavers plan to vote for Farage. As Sir John Curtice noted recently
in the Telegraph, Leavers are no longer leaving the Conservative Party in a trickle but a flood. This is deeply problematic for a party
that relies far more on Leavers than Remainers. In general election polls this past week the Brexit Party is in the 12 to 14 per cent
range, more than enough to put the Conservatives into opposition and Jeremy Corbyn into Number 10. Make no mistake: 2019 could
be the Conservative Party’s annus horribilis.

Shortly after Mrs May unveiled her Chequers Brexit, I warned that Leavers, who want a meaningful and clean Brexit, would soon
abandon the party in droves. This is now happening. There is also evidence to suggest that something deeper is going on.
the Brexit Party is as popular among the working-class as Labour, both of whom are ahead of the Conservatives.
s elsewhere in Europe, national populism is becoming the new home of the working-class.

None of this was supposed to happen. After 52 per cent of the country voted for Brexit,
and David Cameron made way for Theresa May, Britain was supposed to put populism back in the box.
The mainstream Conservative government was supposed to devise a competent negotiation strategy,
trigger Article 50, lead Britain out of the EU and then go back to the country with the offer of a radical new
settlement that would address the other drivers of Brexit, from reforming immigration to tackling regional inequality,
from devolving more powers to the regions, to doing more for left behind and left out Britain. In some other universe
Mrs May is using the remaining months of 2019 to prepare for a general election in 2020, with an ambitious policy platform
that resonates among workers and leaves scant room for Mr Corbyn.

Except, as we now know, none of that happened. What did happen is that Mrs May’s premiership
turned from one of great promise into one of great disappointment. Future historians will likely only
make note of Mrs May when debating contenders for the title of Britain’s worst Prime Minister or, perhaps,
when explaining what pushed the Conservatives into a serious split and a prolonged period in opposition.
The Prime Minister and her team have brought their party to a point where, last week, it reached just 23 per cent in the polls.
If this were replicated at an election it would be the worst result in the entire history of the party.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ilis/#comments

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 25-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 12:46 PM #2
You know my methods

You know my methods

The top comment to date on the article is:

For upwards of 30 years the problem has not only been Brexit but a western-world-wide Political Class which is simply an interest-group,

like estate agents or car salesmen: in politics to collect large amounts of money, privilege and self-importance, with none of yesteryears' concern about issues.

Currently the EU leadership and 7/8ths of MPs twist, writhe, tergiversate - and trample over law and precedent! - in order to accomplish
what THEY want for THEIR careers: a UK still ruled by the EU.

The battle is joined in this country at last between the Real Foes: the People versus the Political Class which does not care for them
and is opposed to looking after their needs.
Old 22-04-2019, 02:12 PM #3
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
The top comment to date on the article is:

For upwards of 30 years the problem has not only been Brexit but a western-world-wide Political Class which is simply an interest-group,

like estate agents or car salesmen: in politics to collect large amounts of money, privilege and self-importance, with none of yesteryears' concern about issues.

Currently the EU leadership and 7/8ths of MPs twist, writhe, tergiversate - and trample over law and precedent! - in order to accomplish

what THEY want for THEIR careers: a UK still ruled by the EU.

The battle is joined in this country at last between the Real Foes: the People versus the Political Class which does not care for them

and is opposed to looking after their needs.
The problem is that comments like these are only "half woke" in that they identify the problem of self-interested political class... But then somehow manage to fail to realise that Farage does not fall outside of that world and is as much a self-interested, self-promoting career politician as any high profile Labour or Tory politician.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:26 PM #4
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The problem is that comments like these are only "half woke" in that they identify the problem of self-interested political class... But then somehow manage to fail to realise that Farage does not fall outside of that world and is as much a self-interested, self-promoting career politician as any high profile Labour or Tory politician.
says you

you have no idea what his motivations are
Old 22-04-2019, 02:34 PM #5
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
says you

you have no idea what his motivations are
I have as much idea what his motivations are as anyone has an idea what any politicians motives are? And the original comment was about the motivations of the political class.
Old 22-04-2019, 02:35 PM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
I have as much idea what his motivations are as anyone has an idea what any politicians motives are? And the original comment was about the motivations of the political class.
true
Old 22-04-2019, 12:47 PM #7
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

ew

britain will be even worse under this self obsessed vain Farage than under the current PM May

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 09:27 PM #8
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
ew

britain will be even worse under this self obsessed vain Farage than under the current PM May
Nicky you have just found the way for me to agree to a positive to Theresa May.

I'd have her there any day of the week over, as you describe him, self obsessed Farage.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 01:03 PM #9

Yes the Eu Elections
End of May
Loads of the Conservatives are now backing
the Brexit Party.

Some Conservatives refusing to be MEP's

Even Old Ann Widdecombe is backing Nigel Farage.

Last edited by arista; 22-04-2019 at 01:07 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 01:11 PM #10

Old 22-04-2019, 02:19 PM #11
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Something will happen. People feel like they've been shafted. We voted to leave... here we are still dicking around. The silent majority will be heard. Maybe no one believes that... but then, no one thought we'd vote to leave. Some people demonstrate and shout and holler, other people quietly vote and expect their democratic vote to count.

Last edited by Livia; 22-04-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:50 PM #12
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

It’s a party that wants to leave but can’t really explain why or how. They’re perfect for a good 25% of the population. They’ll do well.
Old 22-04-2019, 03:01 PM #13
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

keep churning out the propaganda
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 05:03 PM #14
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):

If he can stop Corbyn getting into number 10 that fine by me !!
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 06:00 PM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
If he can stop Corbyn getting into number 10 that fine by me !!
They're mainly siphoning off the chunk of the working class that was duped into voting for the Tories 10 years ago and got them into / kept them in power. We're not going to have a PM in Westminster who isn't Tory or Labour for a long time yet. So if anything Farage's new group will HELP Corbyn into No. 10 by default, by significantly weakening the Tory vote in every constituency they stand in.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 22-04-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 23-04-2019, 01:43 PM #16
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They're mainly siphoning off the chunk of the working class that was duped into voting for the Tories 10 years ago and got them into / kept them in power. We're not going to have a PM in Westminster who isn't Tory or Labour for a long time yet. So if anything Farage's new group will HELP Corbyn into No. 10 by default, by significantly weakening the Tory vote in every constituency they stand in.
The working class Labour voters were duped by their MPS who scuppered Brexit, against their voters wishes
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 07:48 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
The working class Labour voters were duped by their MPS who scuppered Brexit, against their voters wishes
In 2008?
Old 22-04-2019, 08:56 PM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Isn't it funny that when working class people vote Tory, they must have been duped into it. My experience of the working class is that they're pretty savvy and can make a judgement as well as anyone. Furthermore, having had access to the party membership records I can tell you that there are plenty of working class members. Another mistake that's made is the supposition that people who voted for Farage were all Tories... and that simply is not true.

Last edited by Livia; 22-04-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 22-04-2019, 09:08 PM #19
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Isn't it funny that when working class people vote Tory, they must have been duped into it. My experience of the working class is that they're pretty savvy and can make a judgement as well as anyone. Furthermore, having had access to the party membership records I can tell you that there are plenty of working class members. Another mistake that's made is the supposition that people who voted for Farage were all Tories... and that simply is not true.
They were duped into it because the promises that were made to lure a specific voting demographic were proven to be false... and the tories have done nothing but systematically destroy small towns and villages all across Britain through under-funding, and demonise the working poor as "lazy", for the past 10 years.

I also don't think there's any supposition that "all" Brexit party voters are Tories either - Labour are losing votes to them too - but the currently available stats show quite clearly that it's the Conservatives who are going to suffer the most from having their vote split. You can ignore the figures if you want but it doesn't change them.
Old 23-04-2019, 10:17 AM #20
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
They were duped into it because the promises that were made to lure a specific voting demographic were proven to be false... and the tories have done nothing but systematically destroy small towns and villages all across Britain through under-funding, and demonise the working poor as "lazy", for the past 10 years.

I also don't think there's any supposition that "all" Brexit party voters are Tories either - Labour are losing votes to them too - but the currently available stats show quite clearly that it's the Conservatives who are going to suffer the most from having their vote split. You can ignore the figures if you want but it doesn't change them.

Oh sorry, I forgot you were working from the "current available stats" and the rest of us were just expressing an opinion based on everything we've read.
Old 23-04-2019, 12:10 PM #21
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Oh sorry, I forgot you were working from the "current available stats" and the rest of us were just expressing an opinion based on everything we've read.
So it's false that the Conservative are losing more to the new Brexit parties than other parties are?
Old 23-04-2019, 01:22 PM #22
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
So it's false that the Conservative are losing more to the new Brexit parties than other parties are?
Who knows? Probably...
Old 23-04-2019, 12:14 PM #23
0_o

0_o

I am worried that this will fracture the vote enough for a Corbyn win (as yes, the party seems to be siphoning more tory votes than Labour). But at the same time, another 4 years of Tory rule makes me feel ill. I don't think this party has any chance of 'winning' as such, they might gain a few seats if the popularity keeps coming though. But its pretty much always going to be Tory or Labour I think. And the thought of either in their current state, brings on a sense of impending doom tbh.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 23-04-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 03:37 PM #24

[Former Communist Party member Claire Fox is the director of the Academy of Ideas,
which she established to create a public space where ideas can be contested without constraint.
She is a panelist on BBC Radio 4’s The Moral Maze and is frequently invited to comment on developments i
n culture, education, media and free speech issues on TV and
radio programmes in the UK such as Newsnight and Any Questions?]

A good mixture of People for MEP's

Last edited by arista; 23-04-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 24-04-2019, 06:54 AM #25

Anne Widdicombe
Live in GMBHD itv
confirmed she has now joined the Brexit Party
to be a new MEP

Last edited by arista; 24-04-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2019, brexit, farage, nigel, party, populism, rise, year