Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 31-08-2007, 01:22 PM #1

Default Princess Diana - 10 Years Today

I'm just making a thread to remember and commemorate Princess Diana, who tragically died 10 years today.

She was a wonderful person who touched the lives of many. It is so sad that her life was taken from her so tragically.
Jack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 01:35 PM #2
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Good to see William and Harry coping well considering the circumstances.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 03:55 PM #3
Z

Z

Not to detract from the sadness of her death, but I honestly don't care, I didn't feel sad when she died, and I still don't feel sad that she's dead. I appreciate that she did a lot of charity work, but a lot of other people have done charity work, and many of them have done a lot greater things than she ever did. I'm sure she was a good person, but I think it's ridiculous that the headlines of the news are about a woman who died 10 years ago, in a car crash. :|
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 03:57 PM #4
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Not to detract from the sadness of her death, but I honestly don't care, I didn't feel sad when she died, and I still don't feel sad that she's dead. I appreciate that she did a lot of charity work, but a lot of other people have done charity work, and many of them have done a lot greater things than she ever did. I'm sure she was a good person, but I think it's ridiculous that the headlines of the news are about a woman who died 10 years ago, in a car crash. :|
A woman who saved thousands of lives through introducing the first AIDs clinic into the UK. A woman who managed to stop the use of mines in warfare thus saving even more innocent civilian lives. A woman whom we watched break down and tear apart yet still managing to make a difference for other people. A mother, a daughter, a sister and a wife.

I'm pretty sure that the royal family share your sentiments about it being on the news. I'm also pretty sure it's been a horrible 10 years for Will + Harry to see their mother constantly being spoke about. They can't help that the public WANT to see it on the media, that why it's there.

I'm not a fan of the royal family either.
Old 31-08-2007, 03:59 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Favourites (more):

I agree Z, there are other people who do great things, IE Teachers, Nurses, Doctors, Firemen, but they dont get all this, even though Diana was a great person, its time to move on
Billy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 03:59 PM #6
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
A woman who saved thousands of lives through introducing the first AIDs clinic into the UK. A woman whom we watched break down and tear apart yet still managing to make a difference for other people. A mother, a daughter, a sister and a wife.

I'm not a fan of the royal family either.

She introduced the first AIDs clinic into the UK, that's admirable, and like I said, I can appreciate what she did, but I've never felt sad about her death, and it's annoying, personally, to be met with "10 years today" everywhere I go, and I imagine there'll be articles about her for the next week or so as well.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:00 PM #7

Its so sad though because she was still quite young.
Jackie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 04:00 PM #8
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by OfficialSuperstar
I agree Z, there are other people who do great things, IE Teachers, Nurses, Doctors, Firemen, but they dont get all this, even though Diana was a great person, its time to move on
Like I said before, Diana wouldn't want the media attention! Thats the media and popular demands fault.
Why should we detract from the fact that she was a caring, loving mother and charity worker just cos people are sick of the medias coverage of it?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:01 PM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Im not saying it was Dianas fault, Im just saying its time for everyone to move on.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:02 PM #10
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Im not saying it was Dianas fault, Im just saying its time for everyone to move on.
Everyone has moved on.
This is a celebration of her life, not a mourning of her death.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:03 PM #11
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said before, Diana wouldn't want the media attention! Thats the media and popular demands fault.
Why should we detract from the fact that she was a caring, loving mother and charity worker just cos people are sick of the medias coverage of it?
I was too young to ever fully understand everything about Princess Diana, but I'm not detracting from anything, my opinion is that the fact she's been dead for 10 years shouldn't be so newsworthy, and that, quite frankly, people need to get over it. I don't understand people who actively mourn, cry, over her death, that didn't know her, or didn't benefit from any of the charity work she did. That's my point. I do appreciate that she did a lot of good things in her life, but I don't feel sad about it, and I get annoyed at people who harp on about it, especially when I really don't want to know.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:03 PM #12

If you don't care about Diana's death than simply don't post in this thread because it's actually quite disrespectful.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:05 PM #13
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
I don't understand people who actively mourn, cry, over her death, that didn't know her, or didn't benefit from any of the charity work she did. That's my point. I do appreciate that she did a lot of good things in her life, but I don't feel sad about it, and I get annoyed at people who harp on about it, especially when I really don't want to know.
As I've said already, today wasn't about mourning, crying etc... it was about a celebration of her life - something most of us benefitted from. Albeit not directly, yet it makes me happy to know lives were saved - therefore that affects me.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:05 PM #14

Quote:
Time for her children to move on? Time for her family and close friends to move on? If people wish to remember her then that's their wish to do so.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:05 PM #15
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
If you don't care about Diana's death than simply don't post in this thread because it's actually quite disrespectful.
Ah, now, I know what you mean, but I wouldn't say I don't care, I just don't think it's very important in the grand scheme of things, the woman has been dead for 10 years, it shouldn't be front page news. I don't think I'm being disrespectful, it's just my opinion, and I have said it already, I appreciate that she did a lot of good things in her life, but I don't appreciate her, if you see what I mean?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:05 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Lauren to be fair, there seems to be a celebration of her life all the time
Old 31-08-2007, 04:07 PM #17
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Quote:
Ah, now, I know what you mean, but I wouldn't say I don't care, I just don't think it's very important in the grand scheme of things, the woman has been dead for 10 years, it shouldn't be front page news. I don't think I'm being disrespectful, it's just my opinion, and I have said it already, I appreciate that she did a lot of good things in her life, but I don't appreciate her, if you see what I mean?
It shouldn't be front page news when there's people dying all over the World today. It's unjust. But to say that people should move on?

Like I mentioned before, the service today was simply for people to reminisce and think back to the services she has done for this country. The main service was for family, friends and acquaintances. Should they also move on?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:07 PM #18
Z

Z

Quote:
I agree, there was the concert in her name a couple of months ago, I can't remember precisely what it was for, but it seemed very pointless to me at the time. I can't express this enough, I think that she was a good woman, for all the charity work she did, but I don't think that she's important enough to be on the front page of the news, 10 years after she died.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:08 PM #19
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
So there should.

However, today isn't for us - the public. It's for her family (her sons, her ex-husband) to celebrate the time they had together. Should they have cancelled this occasion just because people are sick of reading about it? Seriously?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:09 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Why do we need big flashy services and stuff to remember the stuff shes done? If the stuff she has done helped people, then they shouldnt need all that to remember her. I do appreciate that she has done loads of good stuff for people but I dont see why she gets all this stuff
Old 31-08-2007, 04:09 PM #21

Quote:
Originally posted by Z
I wouldn't say I don't care...
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
I honestly don't care
Like Lauren said, this is not a mourning of her death but a celebration of her life.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:09 PM #22
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Z
Quote:
It shouldn't be front page news when there's people dying all over the World today. It's unjust. But to say that people should move on?

Like I mentioned before, the service today was simply for people to reminisce and think back to the services she has done for this country. The main service was for family, friends and acquaintances. Should they also move on?
I don't think I said people should move on in that post, though I think I did in another one. Yes, I think people should move on. 10 years is a long time to be grieving for somebody. And no, I don't think her family and friends should move on, but I think the public should, and if the people who are saying that I am being disrespectful, I'd like to say in return that I think the media are disrespectful, turning her life into some kind of spectacle by plastering the fact she died 10 years ago over the headlines. Lauren, you said it, she wouldn't have wanted the media attention.
Old 31-08-2007, 04:10 PM #23
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Why do we need big flashy services and stuff to remember the stuff shes done? If the stuff she has done helped people, then they shouldnt need all that to remember her. I do appreciate that she has done loads of good stuff for people but I dont see why she gets all this stuff
It wasn't a big flashy service? It was a simple church service that a lot of people have done reaching 10 years since their loved-ones death. I don't see what was so flashy about it?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:10 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
So there should.

However, today isn't for us - the public. It's for her family (her sons, her ex-husband) to celebrate the time they had together. Should they have cancelled this occasion just because people are sick of reading about it? Seriously?
Why put it on tv then?
Old 31-08-2007, 04:11 PM #25

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
It wasn't a big flashy service? It was a simple church service that a lot of people have done reaching 10 years since their loved-ones death. I don't see what was so flashy about it?
Oh Ok I dont see why she needs it all though. We dont need a celebration of her life every few months

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
10, diana, princess, today, years