Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-06-2018, 01:50 PM #126
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
He was mentioned by some Roman historians. I have to reason to doubt his existence. Also his original message is hardly easy and opportunistic. Again it makes me think it is true.
What message?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 01:51 PM #127
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Judaism is based on Old Testament so their social etc teachings are not exactly enlightened.
True, they're peaceful because they are not a proselytising religion, more of an exclusive club of god's chosen people, not that keen on multiplying their ranks.
It's true you have some very tolerant strands of Judaism, but you also have very tolerant strands of other religions.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 01:54 PM #128
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
What message?
F00k off, LT I'm not repeating basics here for your indulgence. You know very well what message, otherwise were have you been all your life? Basic tenets of Christianity are common knowledge or at least they should.
Failing that, Google it, you lazy git
Old 29-06-2018, 01:57 PM #129
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

anyways, I'm not even fooking religious! I'm not here to defend religion as such. Just saying, Jesus existed and he was a cool guy. So that's that on that.
Get on with discussing bloody Sanders and American bigots.
Old 29-06-2018, 02:00 PM #130
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
F00k off, LT I'm not repeating basics here for your indulgence. You know very well what message, otherwise were have you been all your life? Basic tenets of Christianity are common knowledge or at least they should.
Failing that, Google it, you lazy git

being nice to people and your neighbours was prevalent in all societies, chinese, celtic etc its not anything specific to christianity

the jesus myth was one of hundreds of similar myths in that area at that time and all followed the same basic premis of death and resurrection

"most secular historians also agree that the gospels contain large quantities of ahistorical legendary details mixed in with historical information about Jesus's life.[9] The Synoptic Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke are heavily shaped by Jewish tradition, with the Gospel of Matthew deliberately portraying Jesus as a "new Moses".[10] Although it is highly unlikely that the authors of the Synoptic Gospels directly based any of their stories on pagan mythology,[11] it is possible that they may have subtly shaped their accounts of Jesus's healing miracles to resemble familiar Greek stories about miracles associated with Asclepius, the god of healing and medicine. The birth narratives of Matthew and Luke are usually seen by secular historians as legends designed to fulfill Jewish expectations about the Messiah"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_...tive_mythology

he may have been a bloke who people liked but the whole cult was fitted onto him many hundreds of years later and all fictitious
Old 29-06-2018, 02:06 PM #131
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

I said, leave supernatural stuff out of it.
Idk who Mary shagged, but doubt he was a god or an angel carrying god's semen

Jesus existed and he tried teaching good and doing good, not budging on that.

Back to Sanders.
Old 29-06-2018, 02:07 PM #132
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
I said, leave supernatural stuff out of it.
Idk who Mary shagged, but doubt he was a god or an angel carrying god's semen

Jesus existed and he tried teaching good and doing good, not budging on that.

Back to Sanders.
yes like every parent does

and parents teach their children not to virtue signal as it could lose you business

Old 29-06-2018, 02:25 PM #133
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Very interesting, 2S. But yeah, I didn't want to go the route of getting into the origins/purpose of doctrine, that is a different discussion... on topic, the discussion is this thing with Sanders, I think they were OK to remove her. However, it is wrong what Maxine Waters & co are calling for, harassment of citizens... I dont like when Trump suggests it either, when he points to the back of the auditorium and swears at the press, encourages the mob to go American Hero against them....not sure it I believe the account of owner following them out of the restaurant. It is not right our politicians are engaging in rhetoric... but thankfully most of them are pushing back. It won't affect them if it gets out of hand and so it is irresponsible for them to encourage it when citizens are put in harm's way...

I wonder what will happen when the Russia investigation wraps up, whatever is announced... will this get better or much worse? I think that is on everyone's mind, but I think it is unnecessary to promote civil confrontation when our system is still working...

Also, I am posting on mobile so sorry in advance as my post may have errors...
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 02:43 PM #134

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The business rejected them ultimately because of their sexuality.

You can't twist this situation into being different than the cake situation, if that situation was fine and dandy then no one who believes that the bakery situation was resolved correctly can complain about this at all.
Why do you keep trying to compare the 2 ! .

The gay couple were NOT "rejected" , who's twisting things now . They were still allowed in the bakery but were asked to choose another type of cake ,it's completely different .

Trump's secretary was actually kicked out because she works for Trump and it was clearly a political decision , as she works for Trump and people actually dislike both her & Trump .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 29-06-2018 at 02:46 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 02:48 PM #135
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
No time atm to corroborate, but here's a link to Tacitus's confirmation of Jesus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ
Tacitus was born nearly 2 decades after jesus was supposed to have died, which means he wasn't a contemporary. There are no written accounts of his life emanating from the time he was supposed to have lived.
Old 29-06-2018, 04:22 PM #136
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

SR, still not convinced?

Old 29-06-2018, 04:29 PM #137
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
SR, still not convinced?

My apologies, it seems as though I'm mistaken!
Old 29-06-2018, 06:13 PM #138
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
SR, still not convinced?

Is it bad that I think this comic would be better if it were a selfie?
Old 30-06-2018, 09:49 PM #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
If you support the rights of a business to refuse service to someone else, then it's exactly the same.
Please STOP using a falsehood as a premise because Ashers did NOT refuse Gay Activist Lee's order because he was 'Gay', they refused it specifically because he wanted a 'Support Gay Marriage' message on the decoration and THAT was not only asking law-abiding people to support an unlawful act but also contravened the bakers religious beliefs.

Ashers had served many 'Gay' customers so were NOT 'Homophobic' (what a ****ing tiresome term that has now become) and would have served Lee with his cake minus the message.

Ashers were cynically TARGETED by activist Lee specifically because he KNEW what their reaction would be and that brought worldwide publicity to the cause which he is an activist for.

In my opinion.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 11:15 PM #140

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Please STOP using a falsehood as a premise because Ashers did NOT refuse Gay Activist Lee's order because he was 'Gay', they refused it specifically because he wanted a 'Support Gay Marriage' message on the decoration and THAT was not only asking law-abiding people to support an unlawful act but also contravened the bakers religious beliefs.

Ashers had served many 'Gay' customers so were NOT 'Homophobic' (what a ****ing tiresome term that has now become) and would have served Lee with his cake minus the message.

Ashers were cynically TARGETED by activist Lee specifically because he KNEW what their reaction would be and that brought worldwide publicity to the cause which he is an activist for.

In my opinion.
Yeah I think some people can't defrentiate between being kicked out and being refused a particular item

Last edited by GoldHeart; 30-06-2018 at 11:18 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:29 AM #141
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:

In my opinion.
Yeah, it is so exhausting now. Compassion fatigue is going to be a big problem here in the near future. Much of our headlines now center around those particular oppressed groups. It's not like these folk are not being "heard". In fact, one could even say the world revolved around those people, just based on the sheer magnitude of coverage. Have we seen anything like this before? I mean news cycle can be intense in the US, but it has felt never-ending since the last election... it never really completely calmed down either.

I'm not saying that those angles shouldn't be covered. What I am saying is, when the media is constantly drumming up outrage and the "they're oppressing us" narrative at every single turn, it gets to a point where the facts become secondary to the narrative and the saturation point is reached with the consistent drumming of identity politics... naturally, the compassion fatigue that is going to set eventually will be pretty hardcore. I don't the Democrats are being careful enough about this. If I were on that side, I'd want the media to scale back the constant outrage, at least somewhat. It's not helping their cause. Their core message is getting lost more and more with every news cycle that feeds off the same narratives... is my opinion.

I'm at this point, I just want November to be here... please please please, just let me cast my ballot and be done with it. It won't change the news too terribly much, but I've noticed the closer we have gotten to November, the more desperate it really seems to be getting with the call to action(s), the rhetoric, etc being in the thick of campaign season... It's almost like both parties are in the middle of fighting extinction... :|

I don't know that this restaurant owner wanted to cause any sort of publicity. They probably wouldn't have minded(?) if it was a side effect... but I don't think it would've been that big deal in the past if it were the staff of any other candidate... I'm sure politicians/staff are always getting all sorts of "interesting" feedback from citizens... that's we see some that keep a constant security detail. So like we would read stories, usualyl PR folk who get into some snaffoo with the public... but they don't necessarily comment on it publically, it just hits the papers and then maybe a one-off comment is made after the fact...
Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 AM #142

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:

In my opinion.
Yep,That’s what i been saying for years.
It was the particular item that they didn’t offer.They didn’t just say
‘No gays
No dogs
No Irish’

If this couple wanted to buy a pack of fudge or some buns they wouldn’t have been told ‘No!You’re gay GET OUT!’
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:13 AM #143

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Mary, mathew, mark, luke, john.........jesus....yeah ok..im convinced.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:55 PM #144
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Why do you keep trying to compare the 2 ! .

The gay couple were NOT "rejected" , who's twisting things now . They were still allowed in the bakery but were asked to choose another type of cake ,it's completely different .

Trump's secretary was actually kicked out because she works for Trump and it was clearly a political decision , as she works for Trump and people actually dislike both her & Trump .
Of course they were rejected, they went into a bakery that offered custom cakes and their order was rejected because the owners decided to choose to follow homophobic passages in the bible because it 'justified' their views.

If you oppose someone's custom being rejected on the grounds of their political views then you can't be okay with the cake story. What you are trying to do here is push a double standard.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:52 PM #145

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Of course they were rejected, they went into a bakery that offered custom cakes and their order was rejected because the owners decided to choose to follow homophobic passages in the bible because it 'justified' their views.

If you oppose someone's custom being rejected on the grounds of their political views then you can't be okay with the cake story. What you are trying to do here is push a double standard.
I'm not pushing any double standard , I don't really care that much about Trump's secretary being kicked out of 1 restaurant , I'm not a Trump fan .

You could argue is it right to penalise someone just because they work for a certain obnoxious mentally unstable person in power ??, but it's the price you have to pay working for Trump of all people . Plus I doubt she has that much grief given to her .

Maybe I need to research more about this secretary but it sounds like she's annoyed alot of people anyway with her politics & attitude ,so she doesn't sound that nice .

I'm just saying you can't compare the two stories . Let's be sensible, the bakery wasn't an arse hole and he was still willing to serve them something . But you're making it sound like he verbally attacked them and told them to leave the premises . Which is ridiculous .
Old 01-07-2018, 04:36 PM #146
User banned

User banned

Quote:

In my opinion.
It’s pretty tiresome how issues like this regularly get twisted to suit some idiot’s agenda. And boy people are gullible - they fall for it hook line and sinker at every turn. I feel embarrassed for them.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 PM #147
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Yep,That’s what i been saying for years.
It was the particular item that they didn’t offer.They didn’t just say
‘No gays
No dogs
No Irish’

If this couple wanted to buy a pack of fudge or some buns they wouldn’t have been told ‘No!You’re gay GET OUT!’
Equality... they didn't offer equality, that displays prejudice and is by definition discriminatory. As a business under the hate laws that is an offence.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:53 PM #148

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Equality... they didn't offer equality, that displays prejudice and is by definition discriminatory. As a business under the hate laws that is an offence.
Just like me and my baseball cap n hoody look....no pub wants me anymore.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 PM #149
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Tacitus was born nearly 2 decades after jesus was supposed to have died, which means he wasn't a contemporary. There are no written accounts of his life emanating from the time he was supposed to have lived.
Tacitus is pretty reliable on the times of the Julio-Claudian dynasty, don't see why we should doubt him on Jesus

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
asks, leave, owner, press, restaurant, secretary, trump, usa