Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-07-2018, 06:43 AM #26
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I might of gone off topic there, sorry if I did...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 07:08 AM #27
-

-

The problem there Ammi, is that the high profile pro-Brexit Conservative politicians are literally some of the worst people on the planet. Just a horde of smirking, uncaring troglodytes.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 07:18 AM #28
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The problem there Ammi, is that the high profile pro-Brexit Conservative politicians are literally some of the worst people on the planet. Just a horde of smirking, uncaring troglodytes.
...well we didn’t make a choice of having a general election when it happened either...democratic can only answer when it is called to and we all have to go with the majority voice, whether we wanted to or not...the true democratic would be having a vote first on whether we should have a vote or not.....(..if I were PM, you’d all really know the meaning of frustration and slow process..)...
Old 18-07-2018, 03:31 PM #29

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...hmmm I think why your sport analogy doesn’t quite work for me, Jaxie..?...is that people have a choice to go into competitive sport...it’s completely their choice to accept ‘the win or the lose’ thing...they can’t replay on and on as you say...until the acceptable result is had because they’ve chosen something which entails both by the nature of it...but with the EU referendum, having the referendum in the first place and ‘becoming a team player in the referendum’ with our votes, whichever way the individual vote was...wasn’t a choice the nation made...it was something enforced on us and many didn’t want that enforcing in the first place..so that has to be respected as well...as does the vote as it stands as Brexit..that the majority wanted it and to leave the EU...the rules weren’t entirely in place either by deciding on the referendum because if they were and they had been..?...all of these struggling negotiations wouldn’t be necessary...

...I’m not pro a 2nd referendum btw...even though I voted to remain in the EU and even though a 2nd vote may achieve that...I just think in the enormity of Brexit, that thing that isn’t going to be voted again after a term in office, type thing...that ‘forever’ thing...it would need to be led by someone who completely believes in it, someone who has great faith in it and always had...and that person is not Theresa May...so yeah, another worry atm...I mean it just makes sense that you have to have great belief in something so important for it to become successful for us all...that’s just such a basic thing...
The sports analogy was a bit of a joke as was the dig at England team. Maybe I should have added a laughing emoji.

The problem with appeasing or respecting those who didn't get what they wanted in the referendum is you end with a partial EU membership with no say. That isn't the leave that was voted for. Had remain won would people have expected to appease leave by partially leaving the EU? I don't think they would. People like Anna soubry would give a little laugh and say not likely, we voted to remain.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 04:14 PM #30
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
The sports analogy was a bit of a joke as was the dig at England team. Maybe I should have added a laughing emoji.

The problem with appeasing or respecting those who didn't get what they wanted in the referendum is you end with a partial EU membership with no say. That isn't the leave that was voted for. Had remain won would people have expected to appease leave by partially leaving the EU? I don't think they would. People like Anna soubry would give a little laugh and say not likely, we voted to remain.
just out of interest Jaxie, as there are things brewing. What would be your position if it was proven that Russia had interfered with the vote to get a brexit result. Would you still say the result should stand? Or would you accept the vote as flawed?
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 06:30 PM #31
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post

...ah ok, I didn’t realise it was more a jokey type analogy, Jaxie...and no, you don’t have to use laughing emojis ...it didn’t feel jokey just because when another member questioned the analogy, you hadn’t said it was joke there...so I thought it was a serious analogy...

...hmmm I do see what you’re saying if it had been a Remain vote majority...I guess the assumption would have been that everything would just remain the same in staying in the EU....that’s what I assumed anyway...but maybe it wouldn’t have been that simple....because the referendum had already been put out there...so that in itself, the very questioning of the EU...may have caused a soft or hard Remain...a reaction from the EU...a kind of this is your punishment, type thing for criticising us, for calling the referendum in the first place....?...so there’s that as well to consider....what would have been the terms of Remain...I mean whichever way the vote flipped...there was always going to be opposition to a soft as oppose to a hard...the negotiations were always going to be gruelling and tough...so the person who led the country was always going to be so important and was always going to have to believe in the thing they were fighting for around those negotiating tables...sadly as we are Brexiting, I have no confidence in Theresa May to be THAT PERSON...it feels a bit of a ‘no win’ for both Remainers and many Brexiters atm...
Old 18-07-2018, 11:27 PM #32

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...ah ok, I didn’t realise it was more a jokey type analogy, Jaxie...and no, you don’t have to use laughing emojis ...it didn’t feel jokey just because when another member questioned the analogy, you hadn’t said it was joke there...so I thought it was a serious analogy...

...hmmm I do see what you’re saying if it had been a Remain vote majority...I guess the assumption would have been that everything would just remain the same in staying in the EU....that’s what I assumed anyway...but maybe it wouldn’t have been that simple....because the referendum had already been put out there...so that in itself, the very questioning of the EU...may have caused a soft or hard Remain...a reaction from the EU...a kind of this is your punishment, type thing for criticising us, for calling the referendum in the first place....?...so there’s that as well to consider....what would have been the terms of Remain...I mean whichever way the vote flipped...there was always going to be opposition to a soft as oppose to a hard...the negotiations were always going to be gruelling and tough...so the person who led the country was always going to be so important and was always going to have to believe in the thing they were fighting for around those negotiating tables...sadly as we are Brexiting, I have no confidence in Theresa May to be THAT PERSON...it feels a bit of a ‘no win’ for both Remainers and many Brexiters atm...
I didn't really realise that the sports analogy was being taken completely seriously until you as the second person remarked on it. I was just trying to lighten things up a bit and obviously failed.

I agree at the moment it feels like a no win situation and I don't rhink May is strong enough or committed enough to take us through a successful Brexit.

I'd be happy to leave and try to adopt an Canada or Japanese model, whichever was best suited.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 18-07-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 18-07-2018, 11:35 PM #33

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
just out of interest Jaxie, as there are things brewing. What would be your position if it was proven that Russia had interfered with the vote to get a brexit result. Would you still say the result should stand? Or would you accept the vote as flawed?
The problem is that there would have to be convincing proof that any meddling affected the outcome of the vote and I can't see that kind of evidence coming forward. It would also have to be clear it wasnt some sort of remain plot.

There are compelling reasons why leaving is a good idea. It's not just some kind of immigration gripe as some would like to suggest.

I couldn't quite believe we won the vote. I would be unhappy if it was overturned. I genuinely believe leaving the EU is a good thing and will be good for this country. We have never really embraced the EU wholeheartedly. We are an independent people.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 18-07-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2nd, chance, fat, referendum, slim