Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-07-2018, 03:04 PM #1

Default James Gunn back for next Guardians Of The Galaxy dispite tweets

https://news.sky.com/story/james-gun...-rape-11443986

[James Gunn has since posted several tweets saying he is sorry for trying in the past to get laughs through shock value.]

[James Gunn has been sacked as director of Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3 after old tweets emerged where he joked about paedophilia and rape.
Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement that the tweets are indefensible and the studio has severed ties with Gunn.
Gunn has been writer and director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy franchise from the start.]

Yes its been dug up from
10 years ago.
its Disney
so he had to go.

Sign Of The Times

Last edited by arista; 16-03-2019 at 08:37 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 03:23 PM #2
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

On the one hand, it sucks that a climate has been created where someone can be fired for a joke they made nearly a decade ago.
On the other, some things you just don't joke about, and he did it too often to be a one-off lapse in judgement, and he was too old to have been a "controversial edgelord" even then.

Do I believe in freedom of speech? Yup! Do I believe businesses should have the right to hire and fire as they please, especially when it involves a family company and paedo jokes? Yup!

It's a shame though, the GotG movies and Thor Ragnarok are better Star Wars movies than any of the recent cack.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 07:27 PM #3

The cast have put out a statement saying they want him rehired.

I thought it was bit funny how they sign it, 'The Guardians Of The Galaxy' at the end rather than, 'The cast of Guardians Of The Galaxy'.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 07:33 PM #4
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

Glad to see Chris Pratt (a known Republican) speaking out against what was esentially an attempt by a bunch of alt-righters to dig to find enough dirt (i.e. bad jokes from a decade ago) to make a vocal Trump critic in Hollywood lose his job

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 05:38 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
Glad to see Chris Pratt (a known Republican) speaking out against what was esentially an attempt by a bunch of alt-righters to dig to find enough dirt (i.e. bad jokes from a decade ago) to make a vocal Trump critic in Hollywood lose his job
..is that Chris Pratt quoting the bible.....well that’s a thing, then...

...but yeah, thou shalt not make the joketh about about certain sensitive things and then expect Disney-eth to keep your employ 10years later when all is revealed-eth....there is a statute of limitations on certain felony type things-eth...but Old Testament tweets or jokes or whatever have no such limitations, they can go back thousands of years and hit your face, baby in the present day...

...on the silver lining side of it all for him...he made some big bucks on the two Guardian movies before Disney said no...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 05:39 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The cast have put out a statement saying they want him rehired.

I thought it was bit funny how they sign it, 'The Guardians Of The Galaxy' at the end rather than, 'The cast of Guardians Of The Galaxy'.
..what do you mean ‘cast’, James...they are THE guardians of the galaxy....pfft with your cast, go away and think about the use of that word please...
Old 31-07-2018, 06:32 AM #7
-

-

Bautista has a great signature. Look it it. That is just stunning.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 06:35 AM #8
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
...is that Jeff Goldblum..?...I can’t quite make it out if it is or not...Lord you’re weird to notice that...very weird...
Old 31-07-2018, 06:36 AM #9
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...mind you I looked straight away though...so...that’s a thing as well...
Old 31-07-2018, 06:59 AM #10

Quote:
I honestly thought the same. So unexpected. Book, Cover, Judging?

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 02:19 AM #11

I've been thinking about this sacking (and the Roseanne Barr one), and the differing reactions to it, in the light of Ellis's removal on Big Brother.

There was a petition going about demanding he be rehired.

I'm not fussed about it because I saw the first Guardians OTG film, and didn't think it was that good. Definately not as good as Star Wars, which was less knowing and less about winking at the audience.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 02:37 AM #12

Quote:
I've been thinking about this sacking (and the Roseanne Barr one), and the differing reactions to it, in the light of Ellis's removal on Big Brother.

I'm not fussed about it because I saw the first Guardians OTG film, and didn't think it was that good. Definately not as good as Star Wars, which was less knowing and less about winking at the audience.

Yes some Actors (Dave Bautista)
saying he must be Re Hired.
Now that other film is sadly Shelved , even more.

And F. Disney

Last edited by arista; 17-09-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 17-09-2018, 06:57 AM #13
-

-

Quote:

I personally think the difference is the time gap. If he'd said these things in recent tweets then yeah, by all means, it's highly unprofessional conduct and damaging the image of the company and he has to go. But ten years ago?? A person changes so much in the space of a decade that you're practically firing something for a joke some other immature guy made in the past . And for things that passed back then and are only considered (universally) unacceptable now. It's not just moving the goalposts, it's moving the goalposts and then saying that a goal scored before they were moved is now void, because it went wide of the new marker.

It's like firing Matt Lucas from whatever he's doing now for his trans / blackface / learning disabled sketches on Little Britain... even though he's vocally expressed that he regrets making them and cringes when he sees them.

Everyone has said sh*t they would now deeply regret in the past. Everyone. If someone could dig up things I said when I was in my early 20's I'd be screwed . Things that I didn't even believe at the time, and wouldn't joke about now, with the benefit of experience and hindsight.

Luckily, all of it was either fleetingly said in person and not recorded, or on anonymous accounts online. There's a reason all y'all don't know my name or what I look like; I mean I don't think I've said anything career-wrecking on here but honestly who ****ing knows.
Old 17-09-2018, 07:02 AM #14
-

-

So, Re: Ellis I don't think she should have been booted out on the grounds of the posts she made years ago. They could have called her in and asked her how she feels about those posts now and given her the chance to express regret / that she was young and stupid and is disgusted by the things she said... She actually did seem genuinely sorry for those... And I almost felt a bit bad for her.

However they did only tell half of the story on BB by focusing on the older racist posts; her aggressive sectarian posts are very recent and there's really no scope for her to say that she doesn't stand by things she said less than 6 months ago. In a way I *still* feel bad for her, because I imagine she's grown up in a world where those things are considered "normal banter" (I know many, many people who think sectarianism is normal) and she probably doesn't really understand what she's said that's so bad. But she clearly does still hold those beliefs, and couldn't stay.

In ten years time... Who knows.
Old 17-09-2018, 07:19 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...the problem is now...and why I feel BB is at huge fault as well here with Ellis...is that her 10 years time is going to be much harder now, surely..?...she’s going to be so judged on those tweets and her views...(...which yes are probably a huge part of her life so far influences... but may have changed drastically as her world expanded...which BB opportunities may have given for that expansion outside of her previous environments and influences...)...James Gunn was given those 10 years to create a balance and perspective ...but Ellis is not being given that, BB’s ineptitude have deprived her of that...James is cushioned to an extent by lots of successes and financial securities ...as well as huge celebrity name support...etc, etc...but she doesn’t have those cushions at all...she’s just a little itty bitty Scottish girl who worked for MacDonalds...there are too many differences for me to make any comparisons...

Last edited by Ammi; 17-09-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 17-09-2018, 07:41 AM #16
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

I thought guardians of the galaxy was crap.

In law, in the UK, you can only be penalised to the extent of the crime as was applicable at the time of the offence. You can't say 10 years after the event that it is now a hanging offence when previously it was considered a joke.

To me, that seems to be what has happened here.

Ellis was and is an uneducated bigot. I think if she had remained in BB it could have become a lot worse for her. Going out after 24 hours, it will be long forgotten very soon.

Last edited by bitontheslide; 17-09-2018 at 07:42 AM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 07:45 AM #17
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
I thought guardians of the galaxy was crap.

In law, in the UK, you can only be penalised to the extent of the crime as was applicable at the time of the offence. You can't say 10 years after the event that it is now a hanging offence when previously it was considered a joke.

To me, that seems to be what has happened here.

Ellis was and is an uneducated bigot. I think if she had remained in BB it could have become a lot worse for her. Going out after 24 hours, it will be long forgotten very soon.

...I didn’t even get to read any of the rest of your post...
Old 17-09-2018, 07:46 AM #18
-

-

To be fair, the people she's surrounded by in her "real world" aren't going to judge her for this and to be honest will probably find it all hilarious. She was, after all, happily sharing these things publicly with friends and family. But as you say Ammi she is now pretty much limited to that social circle and that life, and apparently even McDonald's won't have her now so I'm not sure what she's supposed to do in terms of work .
Old 17-09-2018, 07:48 AM #19
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post

I agree with that, if she had stayed longer she would almost certainly have said something in the house. However, considering how easily the tweets were found there's very little excuse for them picking her in the first place.
Old 17-09-2018, 07:54 AM #20
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
To be fair, the people she's surrounded by in her "real world" aren't going to judge her for this and to be honest will probably find it all hilarious. She was, after all, happily sharing these things publicly with friends and family. But as you say Ammi she is now pretty much limited to that social circle and that life, and apparently even McDonald's won't have her now so I'm not sure what she's supposed to do in terms of work .
...well that’s it though, TS...was this not an expansion opportunity outside of her environment..(..potentially..)...to have experienced time in the house with a diversity of lives and characters and thoughts, which many people don’t get... that is the thing isn’t it....the sad reality of what can create ‘racist’ and other worrying views...I mean maybe it would have made no difference but it would have been an opportunity..now she’s going to be at a complete disadvantage in being branded a ‘racist’ so young in her life...she won’t have 10 years of looking back, as James has had...you know...they just don’t compare to me ...also because his is a misguided humour type thing of years ago...not something he actually believed as such..?...whereas hers is a mindset, a belief she genuinely appears to have...and learned from her environment influences throughout her life, I would think ...
Old 17-09-2018, 07:56 AM #21
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I agree with that, if she had stayed longer she would almost certainly have said something in the house. However, considering how easily the tweets were found there's very little excuse for them picking her in the first place.
...yeah that’s my dog with my bone and I’m not easily letting go of it...what they did was reckless and dangerous to a young member of the public...
Old 17-09-2018, 08:01 AM #22
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I mean I just find these things massively irritating to be compared as well...as there is only the tiniest shred of similarity...in that they were both fired from their jobs for past tweets...but each has their own specifics about them as well, which are completely relevant...there is no one size fits all for anything...
Old 17-09-2018, 09:19 AM #23
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...yeah that’s my dog with my bone and I’m not easily letting go of it...what they did was reckless and dangerous to a young member of the public...
I think that's a major danger of the "18" cut off... like "You're 18 now so you're a grown up!" which, to most of us once we hit 25+ and certainly 30+ we realise is nonsense. They wouldn't be able to have done this to a 16 or 17 year old, but when it's a 19/20 year old they're "an adult" and so, fair game? When if we're being really honest and realistic, people in their early 20's are pretty much still kids. Most have very little experience of the world, most are still emotionally very immature... jusat babies really . My sister-in-law has just turned 23 and it's really only the last 6 months or so that she's started to seem a bit more like a "real adult"... when she was 20/21 she was basically the same 13 year old kid I met when I first got together with my wife.

Basically I think most people should be given some leeway with things they've expressed before maybe their mid 20's. A lot of it is utter garbage that bears very little relation to who they are as an adult.

I dunno.

I'm 33 and I'm not entirely the same person I was when I joined TiBB, and that was only 5 years ago .
Old 17-09-2018, 11:22 AM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post

...I didn’t even get to read any of the rest of your post...

Yes Good for you
Ammi.
Old 17-09-2018, 04:40 PM #25
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Guardians of the Galaxy is a better "Star Wars Movie" than anything that came out of LucasArts after Ep 3.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
back, dispite, fired, galaxy, guardians, gunn, james, rape, tweets