Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-08-2018, 03:32 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
And your disparaging patonising is the goto response of a parrot fashion taught student. I think for myself thank you, I am not ignorant and elevating yourself above the 'general public' in a public debate says more about you than me.
My concerns are far from hysterical I have first hand experience of this topic not that it's your business. Now if you've the energy to debate without insulting me I have a few questions...

Here is a study.

Answer me this, why were the majority of the people in the study aged between 60-100? And why was the majority reason given for referral 'depression' 2/3 of them women?

In the study almost 700 were not able to consent, and almost 500 people were subjected to 12 treatments ... some more.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/ECTAS%...%202012-13.pdf
I'm against parrot fashion teaching and reciting artificial psychiatric books (aka the DSM). I'm also against stereotyping and hysterics.

ECT isn't a conspiracy against women. It's used more for depression than any other illness and 2/3 of people with non-bipolar depression are women by chance just like 2/3 of people with schizophrenia just happen to be male. Some illnesses are just more common in particular demographics by chance. That doesn't tell anything about preferential treatment or discrimination based on gender or age.

Why were the huge majority of the ECT patients white kiz? Why so few Jamaicans? Is that evidence of systemic racism or does preferential discrimination only work when your particular demographic's included?

And 12 treatments is the standard needed for it to work though isn't it kizzy. Someone nearer the top of this thread voiced an issue with ECT wearing off if it isn't done enough times and that's why every ECT patient needs at least 12 of them. It's for maintenance as well as acute treatment.

Some of the ECT patients who couldn't give their consent would've been either floridly psychotic or literally at death's door. There's such a thing as temporary mental incapacity however non-PC it sounds to you. And most people who got the treatment benefited a lot from it as I see it. A whole 90% improved or are you willing to overlook that just to make ECT sound like a barbaric practice?

Either make a full argument or humble yourself and learn.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 31-08-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
health or controversial, mental, treatments