Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-10-2018, 10:47 PM #51

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Yeah agree with Cherie and Livia.There wasn’t any racial abuse involved.
The only way the News network could get a storyline out of this was to sensationalise it by putting “white woman” and “black man” in the title.

She should’ve shut the door on him and she made some bad decisions but there was no racism there.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 10:56 PM #52

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Yeah agree with Cherie and Livia.There wasn’t any racial abuse involved.
The only way the News network could get a storyline out of this was to sensationalise it by putting “white woman” and “black man” in the title.

She should’ve shut the door on him and she made some bad decisions but there was no racism there.

You don't have to have racist abuse & ignorant slurs for there to still be an undertone of racism .

Even if it wasn't racism,she was still in the wrong . As I've said already why didn't she just phone someone to clear things up ?? .

The guy had his keys to his apartment,she harassed him & followed him all the way to his door !! . Makes you wonder if she has already seen him but decided to confront him still to get a reaction out of him .

Well for all we know she probably wouldn't of done anything if a white guy entered who was a tenant she didn't recognise . I doubt she would of blocked the door way,who in their right mind tries to take the law in their hands anyway .

I bet there's all sorts of dodgy characters that she would never approach but he was probably an easy going guy so she tried to look like she was "following safety rules" , I'm not buying it! She's crazy ! .
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 11:00 PM #53

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
You don't have to have racist abuse & ignorant slurs for there to still be an undertone of racism .

Even if it wasn't racism,she was still in the wrong . As I've said already why didn't she just phone someone to clear things up ?? .

The guy had his keys to his apartment,she harassed him & followed him all the way to his door !! . Makes you wonder if she has already seen him but decided to confront him still to get a reaction out of him .

Well for all we know she probably wouldn't of done anything if a white guy entered who was a tenant she didn't recognise . I doubt she would of blocked the door way,who in their right mind tries to take the law in their hands anyway .

I bet there's all sorts of dodgy characters that she would never approach but he was probably an easy going guy so she tried to look like she was "following safety rules" , I'm not buying it! She's crazy ! .
She might be crazy,That i can agree with but the rest is just speculation.There was no evidence of racism.It just makes a better storyline.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 01:04 AM #54
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
proof of wrong doing, dont make me laugh

if a resident cant easlity and with some charm and humility explain to another that they are a resident then it stinks

He could have easily and without drama diffused the situation - all he could think of was YOutube and getting in the media

awful
Ah, a white person calls the police on a black person for existing and you don't think that's wrong? Says it all really.

You're just proving me right there about how black people have to go above and beyond to be treated with some semblance of respect (but rarely the same respect a white person would get in the same situation). A white person in this situation loses their temper and people get over it, they try to empathise with them. A black person gets harassed and gets the police called on him for entering his own apartment and it's his fault for not putting up with this racist bint's attitude and actions.

You basically gave a list of conditions that the black person in this situation had to comply to to be seen as a victim yet you defend the white person for following this man to his apartment and then calling the police on him for no reason after she sees him enter his own apartment. Why the double standards LT? Can you explain it?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:18 AM #55
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Maybe, just to be safe, white people should never confront back people about anything for fear of being called a racist, ridiculed on the Internet and losing your job.

Neither of these people covered themselves in glory.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:23 AM #56
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Ah, a white person calls the police on a black person for existing and you don't think that's wrong? Says it all really.

You're just proving me right there about how black people have to go above and beyond to be treated with some semblance of respect (but rarely the same respect a white person would get in the same situation). A white person in this situation loses their temper and people get over it, they try to empathise with them. A black person gets harassed and gets the police called on him for entering his own apartment and it's his fault for not putting up with this racist bint's attitude and actions.

You basically gave a list of conditions that the black person in this situation had to comply to to be seen as a victim yet you defend the white person for following this man to his apartment and then calling the police on him for no reason after she sees him enter his own apartment. Why the double standards LT? Can you explain it?

Any normal person would have shown the lady the key fob or politely explained who they were and shown her their key or something that could identify themselves but this person had so many chips on their shoulder, so arrogant, they did neither they filmed it to get likes on youtube and play the victim race card

vile

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 02:29 PM #57
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Maybe, just to be safe, white people should never confront back people about anything for fear of being called a racist, ridiculed on the Internet and losing your job.

Neither of these people covered themselves in glory.
Or, perhaps don't harass black people for existing? Don't be like 'AH! A BLACK PERSON! CALL THE POLICE!'

You know, maybe just leave security issues to the security and not stalk someone to their front door? A big ask I know but it seems more rational than what you're proposing.
Old 24-10-2018, 02:38 PM #58
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Any normal person would have shown the lady the key fob or politely explained who they were and shown her their key or something that could identify themselves but this person had so many chips on their shoulder, so arrogant, they did neither they filmed it to get likes on youtube and play the victim race card

vile

So more victim blaming towards the black person and more attempts at vindicating the racist. I'm not surprised.

If someone asked me my address and where I lived when they were following me and preventing me from returning to a home I pay rent for then I'd say a lot worse things than what this man did who kept calm in the face of blatant racism.

She was not security, she had no right to bypass security to block him or demand information from him. She could have called security and he could have proven he lived there to them, she had no right to demand anything of him. But oh wait, he's black and she's white so he had to dance to her tune.

Last edited by Tom4784; 24-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 24-10-2018, 10:38 PM #59
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

I guess another thing to consider, if the roles had been reversed. Had this lady had been male and the entrant were female, this would be a different type of discussion in my view.

There's always going to be some narrative no matter who/what reports. That's the nature of the media in general which has always been the case. It's driving controversy, but I do think this type of story is really relevant in terms of everyday folk. What level of privacy can we realistically expect in this day and age? Do we want bystanders to get involved to police their community or to mind their own business? I'm in the latter camp personally, but those are important considerations for our culture.

However in this case, it was not appropriate for a civillian to continue to harass him when it is not her private property. If this had been her private residence, I think no question the man would have explained his reasoning for being there. However, it being a multi-residential area, her solution was to call security as she can't regulate the space. I do not think the renters would be too happy if residents themselves began harassing folk who entered the building on a regular basis. Most renters (and tenants) would have words for residents who try to be the community busybody.

For her part, I generally disagree with people being fired from work over recorded incidents, etc. It just enables another type of harassment. So I agree with LT to a degree, but I do think it's more of a double-edge in this case. The lady called the police after he had walked into his own apartment, so she could have made other false claims, and depending on where cameras were placed (in the apt) it may have looked another way.

Cameras are not bulletproof evidence. My husband has to write reports constantly at work detailing altercations/legal use-of-force. Recently he was questioned on footage that made it look like he didn't report his colleague making physical contact with another person. He's never been accused of lying, but the camera angle made it look like it was visible to him. So he had them pull other footage and the camera revealed he was on the other side of the door leaving down the hall to go answer another call. So there's no way he could've seen or been able to report that particular incident.

Moreover, she made the claim that he pushed his way in and yet we've heard nothing from the apartment supporting her claim. It's on her to provide evidence of this. However, her pushing the situation is what warranted her getting into more heat than what was necessary. As much as we can say he should've done XYZ, the same could be said for her. Basically, they were at a stalemate and she decided to push the issue. There comes a point where we ask ourselves, is it really worth the trouble? He had already stated she was not security and so he did not feel compelled to answer her questions out of principle. Most people I've met who are truly suspicious do it in a stealth-like manner, i.e. hiding around corners to see where someone has gone, etc... not confront them and then continue to goad/harass them as they walk to their apartment. So her decision-making could've been improved to keep the situation from escalating. I don't think a simple question would've gone viral. Maybe would've simply highlighted an example of possible racism.

Personally, in a similar situation, I would be inclined to think it is no one's business. I would tell them to call security and just walk. If I were a black, I would be concerned about racism just by the nature of the climate we are clearly living in. It doesn't mean it was racial, but it wouldn't have felt good in that position to be singled out in that manner. So that question would have absolutely been in the back of my mind, whether the intent was actually there or not. We can say that he could've disescalated it, but truthfully, he may not have felt "compelled" to given her behavior and the way she seemed to ask him prying questions as if it were her business where he lived, what he was doing there. That was uncomfortable to watch as a viewer because the lady clearly doesn't understand the concept of personal boundaries. I think whatever color we are, we have a reasonable expectation of privacy. We shouldn't be automatically suspicious of anyone entering the building anyway. That's not a culture I would want to live in to be honest. We can carry a firearm here if I were really that worried.

By the way there are videos on YT of activists who are legitimately angry at this man for not taking it a step further. For example, he was too passive and was enabling white supremacy. That's another take on the situation that I don't agree with, but it is interesting nonetheless... not necessarily shared by the masses...

(Actual video starts at 1:10)

Last edited by Maru; 24-10-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
4th, apartment, apt, attempts, becky, black, block, building, entering, flood, floor, man, overly, patient, white, woman