Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 14-11-2018, 10:47 PM #101
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Yeah I kind of agree with this. There's lots of things many of us are "accosted" for in society relating to stigmas growing up... part of becoming a whole person is rebutting and saying f** society and what it feels.

Though if your childhood was not supportive, it's very difficult to get off the ground. The emphasis shouldn't be on fixing "society" though, because society is not "fixable" and can't be micromanaged in that way... but rather, finding like-minded folk who will support those individuals and help guide them on their path.

I would think the lack of these types of role-models are more the issue. In my experience though, it seems many people prefer a victim-narrative than paving their own way. The problem is when it's most of us claiming dire need in some manner, it's not very good for the social fabric. I read a statistic yesterday, that nearly 40% of kids hitting 21 (or something like that) were born to unwed mothers... I knew it was high, but not quite that high.
I'm sorry Maru, I'm sure it's my fault for being thick, by I still don't know what you're trying to say here re. gays.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't changing attitudes in society a sign that it is "fixable"? I.e. that it things change?
Are your musings on victim-narrative connected to gays as a group?
I thought we have fought hard for all changes in law that happened over the last 50 years or so, with the help of our straight alllies. So where's the victimhood?
I might have got it wrong so would appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Twosugars; 14-11-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 10:56 PM #102
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
You brought unhappiness into the discussion so no winder you use the hang your head smiley

Surely its more shame in the family home rather than society itself that makes the majority of people afraid to come out, come out.
Did I? It is your thread about god fixing gayness, which implies somebody has to be unhappy about gayness in the first place, right? I didn't bring unhapiness to your thread, your thread is about unhappy gays, full stop.

Ok, then not society but environment, is that better? Environment which include home, school, work, neighbours.

The bottom line is people are born being gay, but they're not born being ashamed/unhappy about being gay. That they acquire from somewhere else. The world around them.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 11:40 PM #103
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
I'm sorry Maru, I'm sure it's my fault for being thick, by I still don't know what you're trying to say here re. gays.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't changing attitudes in society a sign that it is "fixable"? I.e. that it things change?
Are your musings on victim-narrative connected to gays as a group?
I thought we have fought hard for all changes in law that happened over the last 50 years or so, with the help of our straight alllies. So where's the victimhood?
I'm sure I got it wrong so would appreciate your thoughts.
It's down to how you look at it I guess. (I don't think that angle is thick at all, 2S) Society for me is the last point of change that is affected by culture. It's usually hit&miss how laws/mantras/"movements"/etc effect how people interact, so I tend to see it as a passive change, not a direct one. i.e. It's not a "fixed" equation, like we plug in a couple of variables and everyone starts behaving differently, interacting in a healthier way, etc. There is this thought we can place in a middleman (like a school system) inbetween the individual who desires change and society in every instance to create the effect we want. I actually think it's down to exposure: more & more folk running into other kids/people who have come out of the closet earlier and earlier in their life. If those interactions are healthy and not force-fed, then that will tend to lead to progress I think... but if it's not done in a healthy manner, there will backlash. So I think it comes down to homosexual folk to being that first/second/third generation of role-models... not happy go-lucky narratives of "gay people good!1"... for instance, I heard plenty of the pro-Christian/anti-Satanism rhetoric growing up in the US and in Texas schools, but I seldom hear anyone quote a Bible and there's only been an increase in secularity ever since. (Hopefully I explained that well.)

If we wait on society to pick up all the burden, then changes will take way too long*(edit) I think.

Re: Victim-narrative relates to that above, but it's more to do with cultural trends (all peoples), not just LGBT folk. If more and more people are looking towards the external for the solution(s) to their problems, then they're not part of the solution. That will and has caused a deficit in positive role-models over time... for instance, higher suicide rates in males (lack of father figures don't help).

Last edited by Maru; 15-11-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 07:02 AM #104

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Did I? It is your thread about god fixing gayness, which implies somebody has to be unhappy about gayness in the first place, right? I didn't bring unhapiness to your thread, your thread is about unhappy gays, full stop.

Ok, then not society but environment, is that better? Environment which include home, school, work, neighbours.

The bottom line is people are born being gay, but they're not born being ashamed/unhappy about being gay. That they acquire from somewhere else. The world around them.

People are unhappy at a lot of things in life, work, money marriage...
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 09:45 AM #105
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to talk to all those progressives but I wonder how far their acceptance goes? Do they still think homosexuality is a sin, but we're all sinners etc. That's the line the pope takes for example. I.e. they'd happily embrace homos etc but still think we're wrong about our sex lives, just politely not say it?
Re. your second para, you know that I had Islamist terrorists in mind, but ta for the mental image Would choking them on matzo (no water allowed) be the method of killing?
I don't know anyone from my family, nor anyone from my synagogue who has the slightest thought that gay people are different and shouldn't be happy. I can't speak for people of all faiths, and not everyone in my own, but the consensus amongst Jews I know is that God doesn't make mistakes.

If you're going to kill a Frommer, best thing to use would be a pork chop.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 09:51 AM #106
You know my methods

You know my methods

what is mental is that for Christianity in the past a sure-fire career for a homosexual man was in the ministry
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 10:00 AM #107
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I don't know anyone from my family, nor anyone from my synagogue who has the slightest thought that gay people are different and shouldn't be happy. I can't speak for people of all faiths, and not everyone in my own, but the consensus amongst Jews I know is that God doesn't make mistakes.
Right but the idea from religious people I've talked to in any depth about this (all Christian, admittedly) is that they generally argue that homosexuality (or at least homosexual acts) are a choice borne of free will, and that as God knowingly gave people free will, it's not God's mistake if someone "chooses" to be actively homosexual - it is their own.

I would add though that none of these people were "hateful" towards gay people or didn't want gay people to find happiness, more of a philosophical acceptance that it "is a sin" but that that's between that person and God and it's not other people's place to judge (as everyone sins to some degree, etc etc).

I've also had a iscussion with one person who was pondering whether maybe people were actually born gay, God might actually have chosen to make them gay, as some sort of Book of Job style "test" i.e. chose for some people to be born with strong homosexual urges to test their ability to resist those urges, as it's only the act - not the desire - that's sinful.

Which is an interesting(?) perspective... I suppose...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 10:05 AM #108
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
what is mental is that for Christianity in the past a sure-fire career for a homosexual man was in the ministry
The reasons are pretty obvious for that to be fair. The man is attracted to other men and not to women. His religion tells him that he's not allowed to be with a man, but he doesn't WANT to be with a woman... but there is an expectation to be a husband and father and people are going to ask questions. But not if you're a priest - priests aren't supposed to be interested in men OR women - so it was historically a natural "hiding place" for gay men who didn't want people asking why they weren't interested in women. Though of course, repression inevitably leads to "scandal" which is, I believe, a large part of the reason that Protestantism started allowing their "holy men" to have a wife / family, to make it a more "normal" path through life rather than a huge alternative lifestyle decision.
Old 15-11-2018, 10:06 AM #109
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Right but the idea from religious people I've talked to in any depth about this (all Christian, admittedly) is that they generally argue that homosexuality (or at least homosexual acts) are a choice borne of free will, and that as God knowingly gave people free will, it's not God's mistake if someone "chooses" to be actively homosexual - it is their own.

I would add though that none of these people were "hateful" towards gay people or didn't want gay people to find happiness, more of a philosophical acceptance that it "is a sin" but that that's between that person and God and it's not other people's place to judge (as everyone sins to some degree, etc etc).

I've also had a iscussion with one person who was pondering whether maybe people were actually born gay, God might actually have chosen to make them gay, as some sort of Book of Job style "test" i.e. chose for some people to be born with strong homosexual urges to test their ability to resist those urges, as it's only the act - not the desire - that's sinful.

Which is an interesting(?) perspective... I suppose...

That sounds unbelievably cruel, who would want to follow a god like that?

Also, what is the story with all this "testing of faith"? I never understood why it would be so important to god to want people to blindly believe he exist? Why?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 15-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 10:44 AM #110

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
i have been thinking about that the last few days and my thinking is that they joined the clergy to innitially supress those homosexual thoughts...
Old 15-11-2018, 11:15 AM #111
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
i have been thinking about that the last few days and my thinking is that they joined the clergy to innitially supress those homosexual thoughts...
yes id imagine some did and some thought it a way to avoid persecution. As for the catholic ones , a lot thought it a great way to get access to boys and use the god bolloxio in their abuse
Old 15-11-2018, 11:18 AM #112
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
yes id imagine some did and some thought it a way to avoid persecution. As for the catholic ones , a lot thought it a great way to get access to boys and use the god bolloxio in their abuse
You're getting homosexuality and paedophilia mixed up there LT. That's pretty offensive. Little girls were also abused by these paedophile priests

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 15-11-2018, 11:42 AM #113
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
That sounds unbelievably cruel, who would want to follow a god like that?
I don't know, compared to the actual content of the Book of Job it's pretty easy-going . It's so grim
Old 15-11-2018, 11:48 AM #114
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
You're getting homosexuality and paedophilia mixed up there LT. That's pretty offensive. Little girls were also abused by these paedophile priests
No i am not (although yes it reads like that) I mean a lot of paedos not a lot of gay people targetted catholic priest jobs
Old 15-11-2018, 11:54 AM #115
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No i am not (although yes it reads like that) I mean a lot of paedos not a lot of gay people targetted catholic priest jobs
Oh ok, that's fair enough. I did think when I was younger that priests became paedophiles because of the weird sexual repressions and thinking kids would keep quiet etc but I've changed my mind about that now and yeah I agree it probably just looked like a Utopian existence to a paedophile

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 15-11-2018, 01:31 PM #116
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Personally no but I have a friend who was “healed” by God and turned straight
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 02:34 PM #117

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germyle View Post
Personally no but I have a friend who was “healed” by God and turned straight
So it is possible then...with some mind control?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fix, gayness, god