Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:16 AM #1
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default NHS TRANS ROW as MEN get access to WOMAN'S wards if they identify as female

Hospitals routinely allow male patients to share female wards if they self-identify as women, an investigation by The Telegraph has found.

Despite official guidance intended to eliminate mixed sex wards, none of the NHS trusts in England require a patient to have begun transition for them to be treated as their preferred sex, according to responses to more than 100 Freedom of Information requests.

One trust even advises staff to consult with the transgender patient if a female victim of sexual assault objects to sharing facilities with someone who may be biologically and legally male.

The NHS is unable to track how many transgender people are accommodated on wards for the opposite sex because data systems record them as their “preferred” sex.

The Department of Health’s “elimination of mixed sex wards” guidance upon which individual trusts must base their policies says that “men and women should not have to share sleeping accommodation or toilet/bathroom facilities”. But the document adds, “except where it is in the overall best interests of the patient or reflects their patient choice”.

As a result, a physically intact male has the right to choose to be treated on a ward for women that is simultaneously declared to be single sex.

David Davies, the Tory MP, described the guidance as “driving a coach and horses” through the need for single sex facilities. “It’s quite right that a Conservative government made a commitment to end mixed sex wards,” he said. “But people with male bodies should be on male wards.”

The Telegraph has been contacted by a nurse at a city hospital with a report of a patient identifying as a transgender woman who appeared to become sexually aroused on a female ward, causing distress to a group of elderly patients.

The incident raises concerns about the lack of “equality impact assessments” (EIAs) that should be undertaken by law to determine the effect on all groups that may be affected by transgender policy changes. EIAs seen by The Telegraph appear to have taken into account the impact only on transgender patients rather than on others who should also be considered because of their sex, age or religion.

“If you aren’t even considering other groups in your equality impact assessments, your policy cannot be lawful,” said Amanda Jones, a barrister at Great James Street Chambers. She described the NHS’s interpretation of the law with regard to the rights of transgender patients as “a mess”.

More than 80 per cent of people who identify as transgender do not undertake “gender reassignment” surgery, according to the Gender Identity Research & Education Society (GIRES), a charity that advises the Government.

Under the Gender Recognition Act 2004, transsexual people must live as the opposite sex for two years and be assessed by a medical panel following a diagnosis of gender dysphoria to qualify for a gender recognition certificate. Despite official estimates that the UK transgender population is between 200,000 and 500,000 or 0.7 per cent of the public, only around 5,000 certificates have ever been issued – and none of the trusts said they required transgender patients to have one.

Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust said it would class someone as transgender “without ever going to see a doctor”.

The definition of transgender within the NHS includes non-binary, gender-fluid, gender queer and non-gender – people who do not feel male or female. It means male patients who do not claim to live as women have the right to choose to stay on women’s wards.

Fewer than 10 trusts considered the needs of the majority of patients when allocating transgender patients to wards, with two more considering accommodation for transgender patients on a case-by-case basis. West Suffolk NHS Trust said the transgender patient’s right to be in a single sex environment of their preferred gender “supersedes objections raised by other patients” despite women and men having a right to segregated facilities under the Equality Act 2010. It said that while a female victim of sexual assault could “reasonably” object to being on the same ward as someone they “perceive to be male”, staff should “seek the view of the trans service user” before any action was taken.

Dr Nicola Williams of Fair Play for Women, said: “In an attempt to accommodate a minority, the state is sacrificing the needs of the majority at their most vulnerable.

“We have sex segregated facilities for a reason and I’m horrified those rights – for both sexes – have been removed without any consultation.”

Fewer than 10 trusts that replied reported complaints or incidents concerning transgender patients. But many pointed out that their systems allow patients to be defined only as male or female, with incidents or complaints involving transgender patients listed by their preferred sex.

A spokesman for NHS Improvement said: “As the guidance on mixed sex accommodation makes clear, decisions should be made in the best interests of all patients and based on the circumstances presented to NHS staff.”

A Stonewall spokesman said: “Everyone accessing healthcare services should be treated with respect, including trans people, who currently face huge levels of abuse in all areas of their lives. It’s important NHS trusts are working to ensure trans patients are treated equally because our research shows two in five trans people (37 per cent) avoid treatment for fear of discrimination.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...entify-female/

Its a long article post as its premium content
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 AM #2
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Given the medical needs of patients are based on their biology, it shouldnt be rocket science to classify them on that basis too.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM #3
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

How many women identifiying as men end up on a male ward I wonder

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM #4
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

You are lucky to get a bed let alone worrying who is on your ward.

Having to share a bed would be more of a concern, add to the fact old people are dying of starvation on wards, people need to pull their fingers out.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:06 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
You are lucky to get a bed let alone worrying who is on your ward.

Having to share a bed would be more of a concern, add to the fact old people are dying of starvation on wards, people need to pull their fingers out.

There are single sex wards for a reason you know, its about dignity, privacy and safety

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

i was in a hospital last night and there are wards for men and wards for women for good reason.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM #7
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
There are single sex wards for a reason you know, its about dignity, privacy and safety
Have you been in any hospitals lately?

I’ve been in them, and seeing old people call out for help, or start choking on their own sick.

There are still male nurses on female wards. The male female wards consist of men on one side of a ward and women on another.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:16 AM #8
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
i was in a hospital last night and there are wards for men and wards for women for good reason.
What was you in hospital for?????
Old 11-01-2019, 10:22 AM #9
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Have you been in any hospitals lately?

I’ve been in them, and seeing old people call out for help, or start choking on their own sick.

There are still male nurses on female wards. The male female wards consist of men on one side of a ward and women on another.

Yes I have and when someone rings the buzzer it takes about 20 minutes for someone to arrive, and that's not a one off its a regular thing, what have male nurses got to do with this, that is a totally different thing, a male nurse will have to have a female in attendance if he is attending to a female patient, and if any personal care is taking place two people have to be in attendance, this is for the protection of the patient and the staff so they can't be accused of anything.

What has elderly people choking on their own sick have to do with mixed wards?

I have not seen any mixed wards, but what difference does having the men on one side and women on the other make to personal safety, and dignity ?

Last edited by Cherie; 11-01-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:26 AM #10
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Yes I have and when someone rings the buzzer it takes about 20 minutes for someone to arrive, and that's not a one off its a regular thing. what have male nurses got to do with this, that is a totally different thing, a male nurse will have to have a female in attendance if he is attending to a female patient, and if any personal care is taking place two people have to be in attendance, this is for the protection of the patient and the staff so they can't be accused of anything.

What has elderly people choking on their own sick have to do with mixed wards?

I have not seen any mixed wards, but what difference does having the men on one side have and women on the other make to personal safety, and dignity ?
Well, if we go down the route of patients privacy dignity, have a male nurse is more intrusive than having a trans on your ward.

My view is stop the elderly needlessly suffering on ward first before kicking up a stick about tras people on a ward.

Priorities more than agendas
Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 AM #11
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
What was you in hospital for?????
Me old mum has been in for about 10 weeks now so I have had plenty of experience of hospitals and wards etc, well 2 big hospitals and countless wards

sick of them
Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 AM #12
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Me old mum has been in for about 10 weeks now so I have had plenty of experience of hospitals and wards etc, well 2 big hospitals and countless wards

sick of them
Sorry to hear that lt, was visiting someone in intensive care and on various wards throughout last year
Old 11-01-2019, 10:40 AM #13
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well, if we go down the route of patients privacy dignity, have a male nurse is more intrusive than having a trans on your ward.

My view is stop the elderly needlessly suffering on ward first before kicking up a stick about tras people on a ward.

Priorities more than agendas

You can refuse to be seen by a male nurse and ask to be seen by female only if you want. There is no correlation between the elderly needlessly suffering and mixed wards, the former is down to staffing or careless staff who have no interest the latter is about treating trans people who have not yet gone through the reassignment process and where they should be put in hospitals, its interesting isn't it that this isn't an issue with females transitioning to male, no males wards are affected it would appear

Old 11-01-2019, 10:43 AM #14
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You can refuse to be seen by a male nurse and ask to be seen by female only if you want. There is no correlation between the elderly needlessly suffering and mixed wards, the former is down to staffing or careless staff who have no interest the latter is about treating trans people who have not yet gone through the reassignment process and where they should be put in hospitals, its interesting isn't it that this isn't an issue with females transitioning to male, no males wards are affected it would appear
It is. Same with prisons etc

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:46 AM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

and @ Sherriff, I hope you raised a complaint about what you have witnessed

Old 11-01-2019, 10:46 AM #16

"a patient identifying as a transgender woman who appeared to become sexually aroused on a female ward, causing distress to a group of elderly patients."

Shocking
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 AM #17
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
How many women identifiying as men end up on a male ward I wonder
All of them. But that wont send you and others into the frenzy that this article does so theres no point writing an article about it.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:48 AM #18
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
All of them. But that wont send you and others into the frenzy that this article does so theres no point writing an article about it.
How do you know that?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 11-01-2019, 11:49 AM #19
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
How do you know that?
Because the NHS doesn’t discriminate
Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 AM #20
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I mean how do you know that biologically born female's who are trans men (without the OP) have decided that they're going to go into mens wards pre op?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-01-2019, 11:52 AM #21
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I mean how do you know that biologically born female's who are trans men (without the OP) have decided that they're going to go into mens wards pre op?
Same answer as above
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 AM #22
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
yeah sure

"Black and other minority ethnic staff are less likely to be promoted, or made executive directors or board members. A 2014 study, The Snowy White Peaks of the NHS, examined BME progression in the health service in London and exposed the lack of representation of BME staff in the upper echelons of the NHS. This was reflected nationally across other NHS bodies.

Furthermore, significantly greater numbers of NHS staff from BME backgrounds experience discrimination and bullying in the workplace than their white colleagues – and they are more likely than white colleagues to be disciplined over comparable issues. A survey of every NHS trust and primary care trust in England proves that BME workers are disproportionately involved in disciplinary procedures, grievances, bullying and harassment cases and capability reviews."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...discrimination
Old 11-01-2019, 11:54 AM #23
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If you can give me some links and examples rather than your own thoughts that would be great

Old 11-01-2019, 11:57 AM #24
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

here's a link for you Withano

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...leap-pool.html

Can you provide some where females transitioning to males demanded to go into male prisons, male hospital wards etc of their own free will pre op of course

Last edited by Cherie; 11-01-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 AM #25
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It will only become a "proper" issue when it upsets men of course

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
access, female, identify, men, nhs, row, trans, wards, woman