Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-01-2019, 06:33 PM #1
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Default Oscars 2019: James Bulger's mother 'disgusted' over nomination

The mother of murdered toddler James Bulger says she is "disgusted" a film about the boys who killed her son in 1993 has been nominated for an Oscar.

Detainment recreates the police interviews with the two young killers using the original transcripts.

It has made the shortlist for the Academy's best live action short film.

"I cannot express how disgusted and upset I am that this so-called film has been made and now nominated for an Oscar," Denise Fergus tweeted.

The film was made by Irish director Vincent Lambe, who has previously apologised for not making Mrs Fergus aware of it soon enough and "for any upset the film may have caused".

t recreates the moments before and after 10-year-olds Robert Thompson and Jon Venables took Bulger from a shopping centre in Bootle, Merseyside, as well as their police interviews.

More than 90,000 people had signed a petition before the nominations were announced on Tuesday asking the Oscars to disqualify the 30-minute film.

After the Oscar nominations were announced on Tuesday, the President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins, tweeted his congratulations to the Irish nominees, including the team behind Detainment.

Last month, Mrs Fergus told ITV's Loose Women she thought Lambe was using the case to further his career, and said she wanted the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences to remove it from contention.

"I strongly do want it pulling, I don't think it deserves any Oscars and he's just trying to big his career up and big himself up by [using] someone else's grief," she said.

She told the programme: "I'm asking people to boycott it because I just don't think it should have been made in the first place, especially without James's parents being consulted."

Mrs Fergus has been a vocal campaigner over the years, pressing for longer sentences her son's murderers, who were sentenced to a minimum of eight years, and publishing her recent book, I Let Him Go.

Speaking to BBC News before Bulger's family made their views known, Lambe said: "I wouldn't expect them to be comfortable with a film which humanises the boys but I do hope they understand the reason it was made, and it certainly wasn't to bring any more grief to them.

"The reason the film was made was to try and offer more of an understanding as to how these two 10-year-old boys could have committed such a horrific crime because I think if we don't understand the cause of it, it's likely that something similar will happen again in the future."

In a statement released after Mrs Fergus first spoke out, Lambe said: "I have enormous sympathy for the Bulger family and I am extremely sorry for any upset the film may have caused them. With hindsight, I am sorry I didn't make Mrs Fergus aware of the film."

He added: "The film was not made for financial gain and nobody involved in the making of the film intends to profit from it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46964691
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:40 PM #2

One of the biggest cases in recent history and one of the most well-known... of course it was for financial gain. They didn't consult the parents because they knew they would protest.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:41 PM #3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

With all due respect to her, she isn't allowed to censor art just because of her personal grief. The story was a huge one that has endured 25+ years after it happened.

It's a short film that I wouldn't have heard about without her protests about it - so I don't really understand the implication that the director is set to profit off of a tragedy. Even if it wins an Oscar, can anyone else name a winner of the Short film category...ever? Besides, if she's so against the idea of people profiting off of her son's death then:

Quote:
Mrs Fergus has been a vocal campaigner over the years, pressing for longer sentences her son's murderers, who were sentenced to a minimum of eight years, and publishing her recent book, I Let Him Go.
Glass houses.

I can totally see why she's upset, though, and would possibly be of the same mindset had it happened to me, but I just don't think you can censor something of public interest just because of your personal attachment to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:50 PM #4
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
With all due respect to her, she isn't allowed to censor art just because of her personal grief. The story was a huge one that has endured 25+ years after it happened.

It's a short film that I wouldn't have heard about without her protests about it - so I don't really understand the implication that the director is set to profit off of a tragedy. Even if it wins an Oscar, can anyone else name a winner of the Short film category...ever? Besides, if she's so against the idea of people profiting off of her son's death then:

Glass houses.

I can totally see why she's upset, though, and would possibly be of the same mindset had it happened to me, but I just don't think you can censor something of public interest just because of your personal attachment to it.
!!!

Part of me think she lives for the attention she gets everytime she can fake some outrage about something new.

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 07:16 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
!!!

Part of me think she lives for the attention she gets everytime she can fake some outrage about something new.
I agree and worse are those who get offended for her.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:18 PM #6
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Shaun I totally agree and said similar in a recent thread.

I feel incredibly sorry for her obviously but it screams hypocrisy to me that she wants this basically shunning but she released a book. Also a lot of protesters who are condemning the film maker haven't even seen it.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:20 PM #7

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
!!!

Yeah I didn't want to say it and come across as harsh but she has professional griever tendencies. Obviously feel for her. Must have been awful but she's always on Loose Women or This Morning giving a new interview.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 07:21 PM #8
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

I can name a short film winner though, The Silent Child. An incredible short and well deserved Oscar winner.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:07 PM #9

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The mother of murdered toddler James Bulger says she is "disgusted" a film about the boys who killed her son in 1993 has been nominated for an Oscar.

Detainment recreates the police interviews with the two young killers using the original transcripts.

It has made the shortlist for the Academy's best live action short film.

"I cannot express how disgusted and upset I am that this so-called film has been made and now nominated for an Oscar," Denise Fergus tweeted.

The film was made by Irish director Vincent Lambe, who has previously apologised for not making Mrs Fergus aware of it soon enough and "for any upset the film may have caused".

t recreates the moments before and after 10-year-olds Robert Thompson and Jon Venables took Bulger from a shopping centre in Bootle, Merseyside, as well as their police interviews.

More than 90,000 people had signed a petition before the nominations were announced on Tuesday asking the Oscars to disqualify the 30-minute film.

After the Oscar nominations were announced on Tuesday, the President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins, tweeted his congratulations to the Irish nominees, including the team behind Detainment.

Last month, Mrs Fergus told ITV's Loose Women she thought Lambe was using the case to further his career, and said she wanted the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences to remove it from contention.

"I strongly do want it pulling, I don't think it deserves any Oscars and he's just trying to big his career up and big himself up by [using] someone else's grief," she said.

She told the programme: "I'm asking people to boycott it because I just don't think it should have been made in the first place, especially without James's parents being consulted."

Speaking to BBC News before Bulger's family made their views known, Lambe said: "I wouldn't expect them to be comfortable with a film which humanises the boys but I do hope they understand the reason it was made, and it certainly wasn't to bring any more grief to them.

"The reason the film was made was to try and offer more of an understanding as to how these two 10-year-old boys could have committed such a horrific crime because I think if we don't understand the cause of it, it's likely that something similar will happen again in the future."

In a statement released after Mrs Fergus first spoke out, Lambe said: "I have enormous sympathy for the Bulger family and I am extremely sorry for any upset the film may have caused them. With hindsight, I am sorry I didn't make Mrs Fergus aware of the film."

He added: "The film was not made for financial gain and nobody involved in the making of the film intends to profit from it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46964691
Quite right James family should be upset about this,and of course it's made for financial gain,why make it otherwise but the most awful thing is that James family were not even consulted or told about it being made, why wouldn't they be upset that the heinous murder of their baby boy,has been made into a film,I am sure they do not need to be reminded of what happened to him all the time, there have been enough documentaries,let the boy rest in peace.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:11 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I am sure they do not need to be reminded of what happened to him all the time
I can think of many valid reasons agains the film but this isn't one.

It's not as if she's trying to move on and away from it otherwise, is she? With her campaigning and book writing. So, to suggest the film is going to rake things up for her is false.

Not to mention, she has the free will to not watch it.

Last edited by Marsh.; 22-01-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:20 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I can think of many valid reasons agains the film but this isn't one.

It's not as if she's trying to move on and away from it otherwise, is she? With her campaigning and book writing. So, to suggest the film is going to rake things up for her is false.

Not to mention, she has the free will to not watch it.
Well it's hard for them to move on from it as something is brought up about it all the time,there have been numerous documentaries, the book was her own way of coming to some kind of closure , as she blames herself which in itself must be crushing,she has campaigned tirelessly for justice for James which has never been sated,maybe it's her way of coping with his loss,and I am sure if that was my son,I'de be watching it as curiosity would get the better of me,some people grieve forever,not everyone would get over something like that very easily.

Old 22-01-2019, 10:24 PM #12
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

I don't believe any parent would "get over" something like that. I wonder how many of those casting criticism her way are parents.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:35 PM #13

Quote:
I don't believe any parent would "get over" something like that. I wonder how many of those casting criticism her way are parents.
Nobody's suggesting she should "get over" it. Read properly instead of jumping to defence.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:36 PM #14

Quote:
Well it's hard for them to move on from it as something is brought up about it all the time
Primarily by herself.
Old 22-01-2019, 10:39 PM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Who would would be happy to have a movie made out of terrible event in their lives without being consulted

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:46 PM #16
Banned

Banned

I agree with Shaun.

Nobody earns anything from short films and it's the category that has the least interest for pretty much everyone and this film's nomination would have come and gone with no bother had it not been Fergus kicking up a fuss. She has made it into a story by bringing attention to it, and, although it's going to sound incredibly harsh, I do think the timing is suspect if she's just brought out a book at the same time.

Also, to make out that it's for profit is both petty and wrong on her part, it wasn't a major film, it's not nominated for best picture. Nobody pays to see short films, they don't make money and the director wouldn't have got much attention even if the film did win. She's trying to antagonise the man and stir up a mob mentality against him by spreading falsities based on her own ignorance. She has a lot of people who listens when she speaks without question and the way she's going about this is just irresponsible.

I have sympathy for her, I truly do. No one deserves what Jamie Bulger or his family went through but she doesn't own that story. She can't censor art and she can't dictate who decides to tell the story either or how they tell it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:47 PM #17
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
I don't think any parent could get over it, losing a child would be bad enough but in that way in particular, I just can't even imagine. This case always stuck in my head more than any other over the years, it was so horrific

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:48 PM #18
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying but I've also got to say, the whole 'you don't understand if you aren't parents' attitude that often gets thrown around in topics like these is tiresome and lazy, it's just a way for people to devalue an argument they dislike without bothering to come up with a decent counterpoint to what's been said.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:52 PM #19
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I agree with Shaun.

Nobody earns anything from short films and it's the category that has the least interest for pretty much everyone and this film's nomination would have come and gone with no bother had it not been Fergus kicking up a fuss. She has made it into a story by bringing attention to it, and, although it's going to sound incredibly harsh, I do think the timing is suspect if she's just brought out a book at the same time.

Also, to make out that it's for profit is both petty and wrong on her part, it wasn't a major film, it's not nominated for best picture. Nobody pays to see short films, they don't make money and the director wouldn't have got much attention even if the film did win. She's trying to antagonise the man and stir up a mob mentality against him by spreading falsities based on her own ignorance. She has a lot of people who listens when she speaks without question and the way she's going about this is just irresponsible.

I have sympathy for her, I truly do. No one deserves what Jamie Bulger or his family went through but she doesn't own that story. She can't censor art and she can't dictate who decides to tell the story either or how they tell it.
Her book was published in January 2018

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 11:23 PM #20
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Her book was published in January 2018
Quote:
Specifics don’t really matter, any attention she gets know she knows will lead to a mention of her book, like in this article

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 11:29 PM #21
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I don't think anyone is saying but I've also got to say, the whole 'you don't understand if you aren't parents' attitude that often gets thrown around in topics like these is tiresome and lazy, it's just a way for people to devalue an argument they dislike without bothering to come up with a decent counterpoint to what's been said.
i think its pretty clear that those pointing a finger at the lady don't have kids, and i'm sorry, you cant understand that unless you are a parent. Its possible to sympathise and show compassion, but there is no substitute to actually being a parent.
Old 22-01-2019, 11:37 PM #22

Quote:
i think its pretty clear that those pointing a finger at the lady don't have kids, and i'm sorry, you cant understand that unless you are a parent. Its possible to sympathise and show compassion, but there is no substitute to actually being a parent.
Nobody's "pointing the finger". People are sharing their views on the situation.

And, sorry, no. Congratulations on your ability to act on humankind's ability to procreate but it doesn't make your opinions or your feelings more valid than anyone else's.

We could go one step further and say "no one can understand unless you've had a two year old snatched and murdered", it's just thrown around to dismiss contributions.

Last edited by Marsh.; 22-01-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 23-01-2019, 12:01 AM #23

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Used to be a thing called respect.
These stories were held back from films being made about them until the close family had passed.
On a personal level I find it distasteful, I can’t imagine the horror this poor family have been through.
Surely permission should have been asked for, out of common decency.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 01:48 AM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Primarily by herself.
Not true, she is asked for interviews as one of her babies murderers is still offending and she rightly so wants him locked up where he should have been years ago,what should she do just shrug her shoulders and forget it ? There are plenty of documentaries and crime files on this , no need to make a film and get noted on it's notoriety.They weren't even told about it or even asked , very disrespectful to this boys memory. And you bet it's about money as everything is

Last edited by Kazanne; 23-01-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 23-01-2019, 02:02 AM #25

Quote:
Not true, she is asked for interviews as one of her babies murderers us still offending and she rightly so wants him locked up where he should have been years ago,what should she do just shrug her shoulders and forget it ?
Not at all. I was responding to your comment that she tries to move on but then it's brought up all the time. Yes, she rightly wants him locked up, so she willingly and actively brings it up herself by selling interviews and writing books. Yes, that is true. She isn't forced into interviews.

Last edited by Marsh.; 23-01-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2019, bulger, disgusted, james, mother, nomination, oscars