Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-02-2019, 10:38 AM #1
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Default US/UK right wing terrorism thread

I know that terrorism is a big issue on the TIBB boards; a quick glance at the SD section will show a few jihadi threads at any one time, and yet all these people that consume this news and post it here never ever seem to read anything about any other kind of terrorism, which I'm sure is just an oversight and not done intentionally.

If anyone wants to create a left wing terror thread, then go for it, that would be interesting too.

So lets kick off with some recent news stories.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8794476.html

An alleged right-wing extremist has been arrested on suspicion of preparing acts of terrorism.

Counterterror police are searching the 33-year-old man’s home in Leeds following an “intelligence-led” operation.

Investigators said the man was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of terrorist acts.

“He has been taken to a police station in West Yorkshire for questioning,” a spokesperson for Counter Terrorism Policing North East said.

“This is a pre-planned, intelligence-led arrest as part of an investigation into suspected extreme right-wing activity.”

Superintendent Chris Bowen urged anyone with concerns to speak to local officers, or contact the national counterterror reporting service.

“I understand our communities will have concerns about this police activity but I want to offer my reassurance that public safety is our top priority,” he said.

It comes after the head of UK counterterror policing warned of a rise in far-right activity.

Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner Neil Basu told The Independent: “We’re dealing with a record number of operations and the potential of a growing extreme threat from the extreme far-right community for all kinds of reasons – not just because of the Islamist threat but things like Brexit, and some of the far-right political rhetoric which hasn’t helped.”

Speaking last month, he urged the public to stay alert and warned of “insidious tactics” being used to recruit online.

The counterextremism group Hope Not Hate has found that children as young as 13 were becoming involved in a new wave of neo-Nazi groups that are gathering support on the internet.

“The trend towards younger, more violent Nazis is a real concern and needs to be monitored closely,” researchers said.

“The threat of far-right terrorism comes from both organised groups, like National Action, but increasingly from lone actors who get radicalised on the internet.”

Security services say the dominant terror threat to the UK comes from Isis and other Islamist groups, but have warned of the growing risk posed by the far right following the Finsbury Park attack and murder of Jo Cox.

Neo-Nazi group National Action became the first right-wing group banned in Britain in 2016.

Former members include a man who plotted to murder a Labour MP, another who tried to behead an Asian man in Tesco, a teenager who tried to make a pipe bomb and an extremist who planned a massacre at an LGBT+ pride event.

The proportion of far-right terror suspects has been rising in the UK, and the number of people referred to the Prevent programme over suspected far-right extremism has rocketed by 36 per cent in a year.

In the year to September, 40 per cent of terror suspects arrested were white, 33 per cent were Asian, 12 per cent were black and 14 per cent were recorded as other.

Police say 14 Islamist terror plots and four from far-right extremists have been foiled since the Westminster attack in March 2017.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coast-g...ot-11550706915

WASHINGTON—A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant and self-described white nationalist was arrested after authorities said they found more than a dozen firearms, ammunition and a hit list of Democratic lawmakers, activists and media personalities in his Maryland home.

Lt. Christopher Paul Hasson was arrested Friday on charges of illegal gun possession. But prosecutors said in subsequent court filings that those charges were the “proverbial tip of the iceberg,” accusing him of being a domestic terrorist “bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct.”

Neither Lt. Hasson nor an attorney representing him could be reached for comment.

Lt. Hasson is expected to appear before a judge Thursday for a hearing to determine whether he should remain detained while he awaits trial, as prosecutors recommend.

“The defendant intends to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country,” federal prosecutors said in court filings. The government said he had been stockpiling weapons since at least 2017 and recently developed a spreadsheet of targets that included House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other prominent Democratic officials, journalists and pundits.

The list also included Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.), to whom he referred as “Sen blumen jew,” and former Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta. He developed the list in an Excel spreadsheet he created last month while searching the internet and reviewing various cable news websites at work, prosecutors said.

His internet searches included, “where do most senators live in dc” and questions about whether lawmakers and Supreme Court justices have law enforcement protection, according to court documents.

Lt. Hasson, who prosecutors said had long espoused extremist views, called for violence to establish a “white homeland,” writing in letters to a friend that, “I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on the earth.”

Court documents list an arsenal of weapons allegedly stockpiled by Lt. Hasson, including rifles and pistols. Records also show he purchased “80% lower receivers,” which are partially-machined components that can be used to make firearms that don’t have serial numbers or fall under typical federal-firearms laws.

Lt. Hasson also purchased body armor, which is lightly-regulated by federal authorities and has come under scrutiny because of its ready availability even to civilians.

Court documents also allege Lt. Hasson stockpiled human growth hormone “to increase his ability to conduct attacks” as well as Tramadol, a narcotic. He also allegedly purchased synthetic urine online, and when law enforcement agents searched his workspace they found items he appeared to have on hand in case he was randomly drug tested as a member of the military.

Lt. Hasson’s arrest came after an investigation led by the Coast Guard Investigation Services in cooperation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Justice Department. Lt. Hasson was stationed at Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, D.C. Coast Guard spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride declined to provide further details about the defendant.

Court documents say that in his capacity as an acquisitions officer, Lt. Hasson hasn’t received any tactical, weapons or explosives-related training. But prosecutors note that he was a U.S. Marine and spent two years on active duty in the National Guard following that.

Lt. Hasson joined the Marine Corps in 1988 as an F-18 jet-aircraft mechanic and rose to the rank of corporal in 1992, according to Marine spokesman Capt. Joseph Butterfield. The Marines couldn’t immediately say when he left the service because his record is archived at a remote location.

Prosecutors describe him as obsessed with neo-Nazi views. In a draft letter discovered by investigators, he wrote that he had been a skinhead for 30 years, since before joining the military, and advocated for “focused violence” to create a “white homeland.” He had been fixated on a manifesto by Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, mimicking the preparations he took for a 2011 attack that killed 77 people.

“Guide my hate to make a lasting impression on this world,” he wrote in one letter cited by prosecutors.
Old 25-02-2019, 10:51 AM #2
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I'm sure everyone here knows there's more than one kind of terrorist. Of course Right Wing terrorist are just as bad as any other kind, especially in the USA with their access to firearms. But in balance, the fact that the FBI's most wanted list is made up almost entirely of Jihadis , it's obvious why Islamic terrorism is discussed more than any other - because it's more prevalent. My own community is under attack from both Muslim extremists and from the Right... and I don't mind admitting that at this point, I'm more worried about the Islamist terrorists, the people with apparently free access to all kinds of weaponry and explosives and no apparent fear of the law.

That said, they're all worryingly unhinged.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:57 AM #3

Yes it is a problem in America , Germany and UK
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:14 AM #4
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I'm sure everyone here knows there's more than one kind of terrorist. Of course Right Wing terrorist are just as bad as any other kind, especially in the USA with their access to firearms. But in balance, the fact that the FBI's most wanted list is made up almost entirely of Jihadis , it's obvious why Islamic terrorism is discussed more than any other - because it's more prevalent. My own community is under attack from both Muslim extremists and from the Right... and I don't mind admitting that at this point, I'm more worried about the Islamist terrorists, the people with apparently free access to all kinds of weaponry and explosives and no apparent fear of the law.

That said, they're all worryingly unhinged.
I didn't intend to make it a competition, as that would be distasteful - even for me! My point was that we constantly get to see these stories posted on here (and rightfully so) and yet mysteriously the folks who seem to consume the most news and do a valuable service posting about it, never seem to post news stories that don't reflect well on the ideology they are happy to push on here every day.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 25-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:20 AM #5
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i think we should be concerned about all forms of terrorism, bullying and racism. There is a general trend upward on all these areas and it involves multiple groups.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:24 AM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I didn't intend to make it a competition, as that would be distasteful - even for me! My point was that we constantly get to see these stories posted on here (and rightfully so) and yet mysteriously the folks who seem to consume the most news and do a valuable service posting about it, never seem to post news stories that don't reflect well on the ideology they are happy to push on here every day.
Are you under the impression that there are people on the Far Right here on the forum?

I might just add, my own community is currently being attacked from both the Far Right and Far Left... and also by Islamists. So even if it was a competition, I'd be hard-pressed to call it.

Last edited by Livia; 25-02-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 25-02-2019, 11:37 AM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Morons.
Reacting to terrorism with more terrorism doesn’t make anything better for anyone.
It unsurprisingly makes more terrorism.Which can never be a positive thing and if unchecked can lead to civil war.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:25 PM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The forum is open to everyone to make threads, you can't complain that you don't see enough of this type of thread if you don't make any yourself!

Of course all terror is terror, people of all creeds are blown up or shot at if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, thats a given, during the IRA bombing campaign, the news was dominated by that, now its dominated by Islamic terror because it outweighs far right terror at the moment

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:26 PM #9
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I think this illustrates my point

Police say 14 Islamist terror plots and four from far-right extremists have been foiled since the Westminster attack in March 2017.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 25-02-2019, 12:50 PM #10
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The forum is open to everyone to make threads, you can't complain that you don't see enough of this type of thread if you don't make any yourself!

Of course all terror is terror, people of all creeds are blown up or shot at if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, thats a given, during the IRA bombing campaign, the news was dominated by that, now its dominated by Islamic terror because it outweighs far right terror at the moment
It wasn't a complaint, which is why I made this thread so people can now record these incidents. It also wasn't a thread aimed at attacking the other threads that do highlight Islamic terror.

Just found it an interesting curiosity.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:55 PM #11
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
I think this illustrates my point

You mean the sentence that I bolded myself?

So if Islamic terrorism is the considered the greatest threat to public safety in the UK/US, then shouldn't the fact that right wing terrorism is currently being foiled at 30-40% of that, be at least worthy of a discussion? Maybe even make the news occasionally? But again, this thread isn't about Muslims, use one of the other 8969677676878 threads for that, this is a thread so we can shed some light on what our alt-right, nationalist brothers and sisters are currently up to.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:59 PM #12
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You mean the sentence that I bolded myself?

So if Islamic terrorism is the considered the greatest threat to public safety in the UK/US, then shouldn't the fact that right wing terrorism is currently being foiled at 30-40% of that, be at least worthy of a discussion? Maybe even make the news occasionally? But again, this thread isn't about Muslims, use one of the other 8969677676878 threads for that, this is a thread so we can shed some light on what our alt-right, nationalist brothers and sisters are currently up to.
yes its on the rise and of course it should be discussed and I would expect if the situation was reversed and it was a 10 per cent far right and 4 per cent Islamic terror then we would be talking about it more. I don't see any recent terror threads on SD with regard to Islamic state, just threads about returning Jihadis?

Old 25-02-2019, 01:11 PM #13
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
yes its on the rise and of course it should be discussed and I would expect if the situation was reversed and it was a 10 per cent far right and 4 per cent Islamic terror then we would be talking about it more. I don't see any recent terror threads on SD with regard to Islamic state, just threads about returning Jihadis?
I've made a specific thread with specific thread content that's not about Muslims/islamic terror.

Interesting word association though; I said "this thread isn't about Muslims, use one of the other 8969677676878 threads for that". You say "I don't see any recent terror threads".

I'm not sure if I need to mention this again, but this thread is not about Muslims.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:19 PM #14
You know my methods

You know my methods

so your opening points are an alleged individual case that has not been proved yet and some bolloxio from a "charity" who use language like “The trend towards younger, more violent Nazis is a real concern"

I dont think the Great British Public will be bothered tbh, they are quite aware where the real threats come from
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:27 PM #15
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
so your opening points are an alleged individual case that has not been proved yet and some bolloxio from a "charity" who use language like “The trend towards younger, more violent Nazis is a real concern"

I dont think the Great British Public will be bothered tbh, they are quite aware where the real threats come from
I've posted 2 recent foiled right wing terrorism attacks. One here, and one across the pond.

I could go back years and post actual right wing violence that has occured, but chose this as a starting point so TIBB's alt right wouldn't be that offended from the off. Ooops, I guess I gave you too much credit
Old 25-02-2019, 01:32 PM #16
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Maybe even make the news occasionally?
Tbf it does make the news, not as often though (which it wouldn't be in the news as often if there is less of it). BUT its generally reported as 'mentally ill person commits act of violence' rather than how Islamic terrorism is. I hate that, how when its a white person its 'just' mental illness. Noone rushes to say Jihadis are mentally ill...

Also, things tend to only make the news when an attack is successful. I actually can't remember the last time it was a 'mentally ill white man'. I think possibly the attack on the Mosque, that was generally framed as retaliation to violence rather than terorrism. Which is what it is, just with different victims.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 25-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:32 PM #17
You know my methods

You know my methods

its just not a thing, sorry
Old 25-02-2019, 01:34 PM #18
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Of course it is..as is violence and such from the far left (some still refuse to admit the far left even exist, so theres a fair while to go on that...)
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:40 PM #19
Banned

Banned

It's remarkable and grotesque that the Coast Guard story hasn't really gained traction.

Right Wing terrorism is a growing threat, it's the most prominent form of terrorism after Islamic terrorism and it's something that should be spoken about when it's not really discussed all that much.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:43 PM #20

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
So only brown foreign people can be terrorists in your eyes?

Last edited by Liam-; 25-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:45 PM #21
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
So only brown foreign people can be terrorists in your eyes?
well as someone here who actually lived through the troubles that is a pretty silly thing to post
Old 25-02-2019, 01:45 PM #22
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Of course it is..as is violence and such from the far left (some still refuse to admit the far left even exist, so theres a fair while to go on that...)
Of course violence exists across the whole spectrum, even centrists can turn violent depending on the circumstances, but I'm curious what left wing terrorism would actually look like.

I'm further left than I would guess pretty much everyone on this forum, but my ideology is only based around tolerance and ways to raise the bottom sections of society upwards in ways that are beneficial to society as a whole.

The far left exists in some foreign governments that push communism in dictatorships, but you will struggle to find left wing people who push for communist ideals in today's world, but you get right wing people pushing fascistic aims and goals.

It's not really a both sides issue, yeah the left has it's problems because no ideology or political system is foolproof, but there is no modern far left in the same way there is a modern far right.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:49 PM #23
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

What people dont seem to realise by giving terrorist groups blanket media coverage they are feeding them with the publicity and the means to expand, hence they don't tend to be highlighted by the media unless offences have occurred.

Last edited by bitontheslide; 25-02-2019 at 01:50 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 01:51 PM #24
0_o

0_o

Antifa, would be far left terrorism looks like IMO. Terrorism whilst saying they are doing the right thing and helping people. Because they bombed a building full of Tories or something..for example.

Its not a 'both sides are as bad as each other' thing. But nor is Islamic terorrism and far right terrorism (yet, I suspect if we don't do brexit in March then this will rise quickly)

I agree there is not modern far left the same as far right, but I do think this is because the far left is just emerging recently, where the far right have been 'there' for quite some time. I genuinely dread to think what it will be like in say 10 years time.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 25-02-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:53 PM #25
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
I'll ask again... do you think there are people on this forum who support the far Right? Who, "never seem to post news stories that don't reflect well on the ideology they are happy to push on here every day" Because unless you've phrased that wrong, you're clearly saying that Right wingers are on here pushing their agenda every day. And I have to say, while I've seen some awful people on this forum, I don't believe anyone on here now is a far Righter.

Last edited by Livia; 25-02-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
terrorism, thread, us or uk, wing