Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:50 AM #151
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
This is one that gets me. Other than the "confession" there is absolutely no evidence that her throat was cut or that she was stabbed, all of the evidence shows that she was shot, so to account for him "confessing" to the knife attacks in the bedroom the investigators had to claim that they stabbed her and cut her throat but she was still alive, so they then dragged her outside - with her throat cut - and shot her... leaving no blood trail. It doesn't make sense AT ALL... it's quite clear that the knife attack never happened, which makes it pretty clear that the rest of Brendan's statement is nonsense too. It should have been completely disregarded in the first place.
This sounds so bizarre.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 PM #152
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
Niamh you really must watch series 2 ,you are not seeing the "evidence" on which Avery was charged and found guilty on being ripped to shreds
It's certainly worth watching the episode that focusses on the Manitowoc coroner and the interview with her, there can be no real doubt that something dodgy has gone on after seeing that. The basics are; she was shut out of the case from the start and wasn't allowed to do her job, she was blocked from doing things by people who are actually below her in the pecking order - they wouldn't comply with her requests completely ignoring due process (it is the coroner and ONLY the coroner who is supposed to establish cause of death. They didn't let her do it.)

When she tried to push the issue she was bullied, had her livelihood threatened, and was eventually deliberately intimidated and then when she said all of this in the initial trial she was ignored, and she ended up essentially being bullied out of her job and took early retirement. A total mess.

Like I said above, I don't know if Steven Avery killed Theresa or not - he may well be the one who did it - but the official version of events / timeline that the police put forward plus Brendan's statement are total BS (thus, the majority of circumstantial evidence is unclear) AND a huge chunk of the physical evidence is suspect too, due to at best incompetence and mishandling by the investigators, and at worst some deliberate evidence tampering.

So my personal thoughts are I'm not confident in saying that Avery definitely didn't kill her, it's quite possible that he did, and either way I don't believe the police dept. think they're framing an innocent man - THEY believe he did it - but they were lacking evidence and frustrated that he seemingly "keeps getting away with things" in their eyes so they altered evidence and pressured the Dassey confession because they wanted to be sure Avery would go down for something they were "pretty damn sure" he did.

Basically for me the interest in the story isn't really what happens to Avery - I think it would be a push to describe him as a sympathetic character. And Brendan Dassey again the actual sequence of events aren't all that relevant to me when it comes to him, his case has been horrendously mishandled no matter what the truth of the matter is, he should never have been put on trial as an adult with full capacity because he clearly isn't even now, let alone as a teenager.

But where the interest is... is that I do think that there is SUBSTANTIAL evidence of corruption and other extremely dodgy practices in the investigation that I would love to see explored and exposed.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:09 PM #153
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
This sounds so bizarre.
It's so haphazardly put together. You can even hear their frustration in the interview when they're saying "What about the head, something with the head" and he says "...umm we cut her throat?" and they ask where and he says it was when she was tied up on the bed. There's an obvious pause because they're like "**** that clearly didn't happen, how are we going to explain him saying that?" and then the next we hear of it is Ken Kratz holding the press conference and relaying this horrific - but barely even plausible - story about how they did that "but she still didn't die" so they had to shoot her as well. Hell, Kratz doesn't even do a very good job of making it sound convincing, he SOUNDS like he knows he's making it up.

It's really awful because - while I'm sure the real timeline of her death was horrific in reality - it seems that they've managed to paint an even WORSE picture of how it happened, which surely only causes more anguish for friends and family. While we don't know what happened to her before she was killed, ALL of the physical evidence is that her actual death was simple and quick. She was shot in the head and died instantly.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 01-03-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 PM #154
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's so haphazardly put together. You can even hear their frustration in the interview when they're saying "What about the head, something with the head" and he says "...umm we cut her throat?" and they ask where and he says it was when she was tied up on the bed. There's an obvious pause because they're like "**** that clearly didn't happen, how are we going to explain him saying that?" and then the next we hear of it is Ken Kratz holding the press conference and relaying this horrific - but barely even plausible - story about how they did that "but she still didn't die" so they had to shoot her as well. Hell, Kratz doesn't even do a very good job of making it sound convincing, he SOUNDS like he knows he's making it up.

It's really awful because - while I'm sure the real timeline of her death was horrific in reality - it seems that they've managed to paint an even WORSE picture of how it happened, which surely only causes more anguish for friends and family. While we don't know what happened to her before she was killed, ALL of the physical evidence is that her actual death was simple and quick. She was shot in the head and died instantly.
Don't start me on Kratz My finger is still firmly planted at Mike Halbach and Theresas ex Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tq0peK0MtY
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:43 PM #155
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
Don't start me on Kratz My finger is still firmly planted at Mike Halbach and Theresas ex Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tq0peK0MtY
The only thing I've ever found odd about the family is that they are SO adamant that the right people are locked up and won't hear of it being questioned. When I would have thought that, if there was a question that your family member's killer might actually still be out there, you would at least be keen to have that investigated as well.

But then, Meredith Kercher's family are the same when it comes to that case, and it only takes a brief look at the evidence in that case to know that Knox and Raffaele Sollecito had absolutely nowt to do with Meredith's murder and the right person *is* locked up for it. The evidence in that case was absolutely ludicrous too, but thankfully the Italian supreme courts got it spot on in the end in my opinion: The small local police force came under the international gaze because of the murder and felt pressured to secure a quick result, pinned it on Knox and Sollecito. It's actually a prime example of the fact that it IS totally feasible that small departments like the Manitowoc Sheriff's Dept. don't always do things by the book. As soon as real forensic and DNA experts got involved it was clear that they didn't do it and weren't even there. But Meredith Kercher's family are still pretty upset about their acquittal so maybe it's understandably common for families of victims to not be able to be rational and objective.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:02 PM #156
0_o

0_o

Ugh watching this now, he set the family cat on fire for a laugh?! What the actual ****. And people excusing it as 'stupid things he did but owned up to'? I cannot see me rooting for this guy mind
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:07 PM #157
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The only thing I've ever found odd about the family is that they are SO adamant that the right people are locked up and won't hear of it being questioned. When I would have thought that, if there was a question that your family member's killer might actually still be out there, you would at least be keen to have that investigated as well.

But then, Meredith Kercher's family are the same when it comes to that case, and it only takes a brief look at the evidence in that case to know that Knox and Raffaele Sollecito had absolutely nowt to do with Meredith's murder and the right person *is* locked up for it. The evidence in that case was absolutely ludicrous too, but thankfully the Italian supreme courts got it spot on in the end in my opinion: The small local police force came under the international gaze because of the murder and felt pressured to secure a quick result, pinned it on Knox and Sollecito. It's actually a prime example of the fact that it IS totally feasible that small departments like the Manitowoc Sheriff's Dept. don't always do things by the book. As soon as real forensic and DNA experts got involved it was clear that they didn't do it and weren't even there. But Meredith Kercher's family are still pretty upset about their acquittal so maybe it's understandably common for families of victims to not be able to be rational and objective.
We said the same thing, i wouldnt want the wrong person locked up for life just to have SOMEONE locked up, but they seem fine with it, not a single tear from the Mother, as a Mother myself I cannot even think of sitting looking at my childs bones on a tv screen, but she seemed un-phased by it in court ,this is another reason why I think the brother and ex did it
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM #158

Favourites:
BB16: Sarah

Favourites:
BB16: Sarah

I'm baffled how they have such intricate "factual" details on how Theresa died when all they found were fragments of bone.

How could they tell she was sexually assaulted (barr that ridiculous confession), strangled, had her throat slit and was then shot?

There seems to be so much more evidence pointing towards him not committing the murder that i cannot see how so many obvious suspects are just out there living their lives without any form of questioning from the police.
daniel-lewis-1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:11 PM #159
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 View Post

How could they tell she was sexually assaulted (barr that ridiculous confession), strangled, had her throat slit and was then shot?
They can't; there is physical evidence from the skull fragments that she was shot in the head. The rest is based ENTIRELY on Brendan Dassey's coerced statement where he said all sorts of things... a lot of which contradicts the physical evidence that exists... and even contradicts other things he said himself. They just cherry-picked the part of the statement that they want to be true.

Again... I honestly don't know if Steven Avery shot her. He may well have done; he HAS done some other horrendous things in his youth and circumstantially, he certainly had opportunity. I do know that it didn't go down the way that they're saying it did though because it simply doesn't make any sense. And some of the physical evidence doesn't make sense either.

Really the simplest explanation for it all is that Avery did indeed kill her, but he did a good job of covering his tracks and so the police decided to plant evidence and coerce Dassey into making a statement so that they could arrest & convict. Which obviously is a huge problem and needs to be uncovered. The ends don't justify the means when it comes to things like this.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 01-03-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM #160
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Bumping bc I want to know if Niamh/Vicky have watched anymore

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:49 PM #161
0_o

0_o

I managed 2 episodes and cannot get into it at all
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 PM #162
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I managed 2 episodes and cannot get into it at all

Tbf it ep3/the end of ep 4 (iirc) that grabs you, I’d say keep trying!

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:59 PM #163
Adios

Adios

When you do we can go to the ‘Free Brendan and Steve’ rallies and show our support

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
avery, case, steven