Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-06-2019, 01:44 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Former Japanese internment camp to house migrant children...

Quote:
rump administration officials have chosen an Oklahoma military base that was used as a World War II internment camp for Japanese and Japanese American people to shelter undocumented immigrant children apprehended at the border without an adult.

Starting as soon as July, Fort Sill will be used as a “temporary emergency influx shelter” to mitigate overcrowding at existing facilities, the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Refugee Resettlement said Tuesday. The agency cited “a dramatic spike” in unaccompanied minors detained by border officials this year — just under 41,000 as of April 30, an almost 57% increase from the same period in 2018.

The Army base, located near Lawton, Oklahoma, about 90 miles southwest of Oklahoma City, was selected after officials toured several military bases in recent weeks to assess which could be used to hold the migrant children.

HHS officials previously used Fort Sill during the Obama administration, detaining about 1,800 undocumented children from May to August of 2014, during a swell in border crossings that year. The facility was among several other military bases used between 2012 and 2017 as temporary facilities for undocumented immigrant children.

During World War II, the Army’s War Relocation Authority infamously held nearly 120,000 Japanese and Japanese American people at 10 long-term camps — euphemized as “relocation centers.”

Fort Sill was among 14 U.S. Army bases used as temporary detention camps, usually for “first generation Japanese residents detained early into U.S. involvement in WWII,” according to the National Japanese American Historical Society. They later “would be held, processed, and transferred from these locations to other facilities.”

Link to story
Grim, the internment of american-japanese civillians is a dark mark on the US' history and to see a former site being used for the inhumane containment of children is just sick. Sadly this story won't get much traction because there's too much dehumanisation aimed at these children. It's ****ing gross.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 01:49 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

They could always leave them In a field to fend for themselves I suppose.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 02:06 PM #3
Banned

Banned

Or, alternatively, house them in places that weren't the US' take on concentration camps and take care of them better so that the number of children dying in the border control's custody isn't sky high.
Old 13-06-2019, 02:10 PM #4

Its better than nothing
Dezzy.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 02:12 PM #5
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Very sad and it is depressing how these children aren't even viewed as people it seems. I say it everytime on this subject but we are all just lucky that we've been born in places that allow us to live a decent life, if we weren't we'd all be trying to get somewhere where our kids could have a better shot in life aswell

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 13-06-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 02:16 PM #6
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Its better than nothing
Dezzy.
A weak answer that only justifies the poor treatment of these children. The US government are flouting the Flores agreement when it comes to the treatment of these children and it's going under the radar for the most part. More migrant children have died in custody in the past year than any other year on record and that's down to the conditions of the tent cities and housing that they've locked the children up in and making a former internment camp the next site for these kids is sending very grim messages.
Old 13-06-2019, 02:28 PM #7
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
Its better than nothing
Dezzy.
Barely Arista. Its a crying shame.

Kate! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 02:36 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
A weak answer that only justifies the poor treatment of these children. The US government are flouting the Flores agreement when it comes to the treatment of these children and it's going under the radar for the most part. More migrant children have died in custody in the past year than any other year on record and that's down to the conditions of the tent cities and housing that they've locked the children up in and making a former internment camp the next site for these kids is sending very grim messages.

At least the are safe.

The other day they over 200 Illegals were let go
as the Depot was overloaded.
Old 13-06-2019, 02:37 PM #9
Banned

Banned

Quote:
At least the are safe.

The other day they over 200 Illegals were let go
as the Depot was overloaded.
Safe? Did you miss the part when I said that more children have died in custody than ever before?
Old 13-06-2019, 02:55 PM #10
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Very sad and it is depressing how these children aren't even viewed as people it seems. I say it everytime on this subject but we are all just lucky that we've been born in places that allow us to live a decent life, if we weren't we'd all be trying to get somewhere where our kids could have a better shot in life aswell
Very true, superiority some people display when it comes to immigrants is disgusting
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 03:08 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Fort still was a temporary detention camp and has reopened to house some kids that desperately need housing and shelter......sorry, why should we be outraged at this again?

Last edited by parmnion; 13-06-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 13-06-2019, 03:08 PM #12

Quote:
Safe? Did you miss the part when I said that more children have died in custody than ever before?

No I did not miss it
But No One has Died at this location.

You Dig it all up

I deal with markets and facts,
Old 13-06-2019, 03:12 PM #13
Banned

Banned

It doesn't matter if no one has died at that location as a record number of children have died in these temporary camps so far. The problem is that these children in custody aren't being taken care of and shipping them off to an ex internment camp isn't exactly a sign of things improving.
Old 13-06-2019, 03:14 PM #14
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Fort still was a temporary detention camp and has reopened to house some kids that desperately need housing and shelter......sorry, why should we be outraged at this again?
Because kids are dying in these camps and putting them in a place like that is just grotesque. The border services are failing in their duty of care and the government are failing in upholding the Flores Agreement.

We should be outraged because children are ****ing dying in custody, do you not understand that?
Old 13-06-2019, 03:17 PM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Because kids are dying in these camps and putting them in a place like that is just grotesque. The border services are failing in their duty of care and the government are failing in upholding the Flores Agreement.

We should be outraged because children are ****ing dying in custody, do you not understand that?
Yes we should and that's exactly what's wrong with the world atm

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 03:22 PM #16

It's just heartbreaking..
Old 13-06-2019, 03:29 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Look for a ****ing solution then instead of hanging around pointing the finger of blame at the wrong people....you have taken a positive step by the trump establishment and twisted it round to have a go at him..
Old 13-06-2019, 03:32 PM #18

Quote:
It doesn't matter if no one has died at that location as a record number of children have died in these temporary camps so far. The problem is that these children in custody aren't being taken care of and shipping them off to an ex internment camp isn't exactly a sign of things improving.

It does matter Dezzy.
You just want to dig up
on every thread you make.

If you viewed the Depot's
when they were live on CNN USA
and FoxNewsHD
you would understand that using this location is better.

You never give any of them a chance
Old 13-06-2019, 09:03 PM #19
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Look for a ****ing solution then instead of hanging around pointing the finger of blame at the wrong people....you have taken a positive step by the trump establishment and twisted it round to have a go at him..
'You can't criticise this government that I happen to like unless you can solve it's problems!'

What a gross thought process and one that's only meant to silence opinions you don't happen to like.

As for you saying that opening another temporary inevitable tent city is a good thing and that I'm twisting things to have a go at Trump.... CHILDREN. ARE. ****ING. DYING. IN. CUSTODY. What part of that do you not understand? Why is it that your first reaction is not to be outraged over a situation that has both sides of the aisle outraged but to defend Trump's honour?

As for a solution, there's a simple one. DO WHAT THEY AGREED TO DO WHEN THE FLORES AGREEMENT CAME INTO LAW.
Old 13-06-2019, 09:06 PM #20
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It does matter Dezzy.
You just want to dig up
on every thread you make.

If you viewed the Depot's
when they were live on CNN USA
and FoxNewsHD
you would understand that using this location is better.

You never give any of them a chance
Another person more bothered about defending Trump then the children that have died under his regime, children that his government had a duty of care to.

It shouldn't be used because of it's history and because internment echoes too closely to what is happening to these children. It's sick.
Old 13-06-2019, 10:42 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
'You can't criticise this government that I happen to like unless you can solve it's problems!'

What a gross thought process and one that's only meant to silence opinions you don't happen to like.

As for you saying that opening another temporary inevitable tent city is a good thing and that I'm twisting things to have a go at Trump.... CHILDREN. ARE. ****ING. DYING. IN. CUSTODY. What part of that do you not understand? Why is it that your first reaction is not to be outraged over a situation that has both sides of the aisle outraged but to defend Trump's honour?

As for a solution, there's a simple one. DO WHAT THEY AGREED TO DO WHEN THE FLORES AGREEMENT CAME INTO LAW.

They have followed that, they have forced the countries that these "children" are fleeing from into taking "drastic"measures to stop the "uncontrollable" influx of "unnacompanied"children that are "caught" at the "border" of the USA and Mexico.

Just tell me what they should do cause I am all ears...you can't put them.all together because I'm "assuming" that may incite some murders amongst eachother....so what, what should they do?

Open up new places for them to stop the attacks amongst themselves, or just leave them and accept them mounting them up in tents in fields so you can then compare it to some lousiana prison.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from the USA here dezzy, and I fully understand that kids are dying, bit without opening thier borders and housing these kids in foster homes far and wide across the USA, then I'm not to sure what else they can do.
Old 14-06-2019, 01:52 AM #22
Banned

Banned

Quote:
They have followed that, they have forced the countries that these "children" are fleeing from into taking "drastic"measures to stop the "uncontrollable" influx of "unnacompanied"children that are "caught" at the "border" of the USA and Mexico.

Just tell me what they should do cause I am all ears...you can't put them.all together because I'm "assuming" that may incite some murders amongst eachother....so what, what should they do?

Open up new places for them to stop the attacks amongst themselves, or just leave them and accept them mounting them up in tents in fields so you can then compare it to some lousiana prison.

I'm not sure what you are expecting from the USA here dezzy, and I fully understand that kids are dying, bit without opening thier borders and housing these kids in foster homes far and wide across the USA, then I'm not to sure what else they can do.
You really need to do your research into what the Flores Agreement is because you obviously don't know what it is if you think it's being upheld.

The fact that you think these children would murder each other says it all. You don't see them as children, you said as much when you said children in speech marks. You see them as an enemy, inevitable killers based on absolutely nothing aside from the fact that they are migrants and that is so completely ****ed up.

It explains why you're so unbothered by the deaths of children in captivity. They are enemy combatants to you, evidently.

The answer is simple, uphold the law the US agreed to and follow the Flores Agreement. They have a duty of care to unaccompanied children and they must offer these children legal aid and education as well as ensuring their safety. These children are dying due to poor conditions in the tent cities and camps that the Trump Administration have set up and they are being denied the things that the US are legally obligated to provide.

You can't silence criticism of the president you love by demanding people do his job for him. He is the elected official, it's his administration that is in control and it's not down to the people to figure out his messes, only to air their views so that the administration could listen and fix the problems the people have. This is basic tbh, you should understand how democracy works.
Old 14-06-2019, 07:07 AM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

The kids are not dying in the tent cities, they are taken to hospital when they come unwell.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...since-december
Old 14-06-2019, 07:49 AM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/07/10....google.com%2F

I'm not sure what part the trump administration isn't upholding dezzy...nor why you would think and claim that I see 2 4 and 6 yr old kids as enemy combatants...That sounds as silly as it looked in your post.
Old 14-06-2019, 09:28 AM #25
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Agree with this 100%. We are extremely lucky, and really thats all it is, luck. Where you were pushed out of a vagina defines if you are an actual person or someone who it just a parasite who wants to take all of a countries money and be looked after as clearly theres no reason to move unless you are greedy. Even kids. I never understand those berating parents for wanting a better life for their kids. I know I would do it, if in the situation, and fairly sure near all others would too. No way is someone going to sit and think 'well my kids couldhave a decent education, be safer and looked after etc, however the people in that country would not be happy so of course I won't go'
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
camp, children, house, internment, japanese, migrant