Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-06-2019, 11:12 AM #1
You know my methods

You know my methods

Exclamation Scottish lad kicked out of class for saying "there are only 2 genders imo"

Good teaching or eerily Orwellian?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:14 AM #2
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):

So the teachers opinion counts but not the lads ? Wow how arrogant
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:14 AM #3

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

But there is only 2 genders? We are taught that at school in science lessons. Your either born a male or born a female its up to people if they change sex but still it's two genders?!
Old 17-06-2019, 11:14 AM #4

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

Good teaching or eerily Orwellian?
How ridiculous ,surely he is allowed an opinion,no need to chuck him out.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:17 AM #5
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

When you actually google it, this is what comes up :

either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
"a condition that affects people of both genders"

2 genders are mentioned but then also "The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female." which to me is re enforcing the idea that gender rather than sex is basing itself on stereotypes.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:17 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...this is where the whole incident/conversation/context etc would be really helpful...impossible really to comment at all without it tbh...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:18 AM #7
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake10 View Post
But there is only 2 genders? We are taught that at school in science lessons. Your either born a male or born a female its up to people if they change sex but still it's two genders?!
Totally agree
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:19 AM #8
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I don’t think the tutor is explaining himself very well though ...or has very good control of what was obviously a ‘situation’...

Last edited by Ammi; 17-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:20 AM #9
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...this is where the whole incident/conversation/context etc would be really helpful...impossible really to comment at all without it tbh...
Haven't watched the video yet but yeah, these mobile recorded evidences can be unreliable and without proper context aswell.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 17-06-2019, 11:25 AM #10
0_o

0_o

Depends how you define gender. Many people use it to mean sex, in which case he is correct of course.

However the meaning of 'gender' has been used another way recently. In short, means the stereotypes associated with your sex that you follow, along with how you 'feel internally'. There are something like 90 'genders' when really, there should be 7billion as its nowt but personality and personal preferences so every single person has a different 'gender' if using the current definition.

It seems quite obvious the lad was meaning gender=sex, so yeah, there are only 2.

Either way, its ridiculous how some behave when talking about this, and kicking a kid out for giving his view is crap, but not the least bit surprising. That kind of thing happens all the time these days.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 17-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:42 AM #11
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Of course there are only two genders.

While it is separate from sex, there are still only two.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:43 AM #12
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

the teacher looked like he didn't really believe in what he was saying, just following rules so he didn't lose his job...
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:54 AM #13
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Depends how you define gender. Many people use it to mean sex, in which case he is correct of course.
This is indeed the issue but it's worth pointing out that the term "gender" has a specific origin and definition and the terms "gender" and "sex" are by definition not interchangeable. Notable because if they WERE interchangeable, the term "gender" would never have been required in the first place. Yes many people (mistakenly) believe that they mean the same thing. They don't. Sex is a biological term and there are two sexes; that is scientific fact. Gender is a sociological term not a biological term and gender is a sliding scale... that's just what it is and what it means.

If we're coming down to personal opinion, the accurate opinion of someone who is critical of that scale, would be that the sociological concept of gender is flawed or false in its entirety.

The statement that there "are only two genders" is false, by definition, and not open to interpretation... there are either a multitude, or it doesn't exist and there are none. There are not "two". Full stop.

So there are several issues here. One being that the pupil actually is both A) factually incorrect and B) over-confident in his reasons for being correct...

BUT yes, also, the teacher himself is blatantly totally unclear on this and is waving his authority wand because he doesn't actually know how to academically address the issue (by explaining the difference between the scientific / biological definition of sex, the sociological concept of gender, and the differences between the two) because HE doesn't understand it either.

So... meh. The kid is incorrect but it's also a piss-poor example of effective teaching, especially because the teacher is clearly on the verge of losing his cool when (from what's in the video) there's no reason to do so, and his approach is actually doing nothing but cementing this belief rather than helping a young mind to engage in some less-rigid thinking.

But what can you really expect in a high school teaching environment? Crap working conditions, crap pay, low prospects, little reward. It's not attracting the best and brightest and it won't - ever - until our governments realise that it is the most important thing that we should be spending on.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:58 AM #14
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
This is indeed the issue but it's worth pointing out that the term "gender" has a specific origin and definition and the terms "gender" and "sex" are by definition not interchangeable. Notable because if they WERE interchangeable, the term "gender" would never have been required in the first place. Yes many people (mistakenly) believe that they mean the same thing. They don't. Sex is a biological term and there are two sexes; that is scientific fact. Gender is a sociological term not a biological term and gender is a sliding scale... that's just what it is and what it means.

If we're coming down to personal opinion, the accurate opinion of someone who is critical of that scale, would be that the sociological concept of gender is flawed or false in its entirety.

The statement that there "are only two genders" is false, by definition, and not open to interpretation... there are either a multitude, or it doesn't exist and there are none. There are not "two". Full stop.

So there are several issues here. One being that the pupil actually is both A) factually incorrect and B) over-confident in his reasons for being correct...

BUT yes, also, the teacher himself is blatantly totally unclear on this and is waving his authority wand because he doesn't actually know how to academically address the issue (by explaining the difference between the scientific / biological definition of sex, the sociological concept of gender, and the differences between the two) because HE doesn't understand it either.

So... meh. The kid is incorrect but it's also a piss-poor example of effective teaching, especially because the teacher is clearly on the verge of losing his cool when (from what's in the video) there's no reason to do so, and his approach is actually doing nothing but cementing this belief rather than helping a young mind to engage in some less-rigid thinking.

But what can you really expect in a high school teaching environment? Crap working conditions, crap pay, low prospects, little reward. It's not attracting the best and brightest and it won't - ever - until our governments realise that it is the most important thing that we should be spending on.
...brilliant post.....if only schools attracted such people as yourself...what an education world for our children, eh.....
Old 17-06-2019, 12:14 PM #15
You know my methods

You know my methods

he was pretty angry
Old 17-06-2019, 12:20 PM #16
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
"But what can you really expect in a high school teaching environment? Crap working conditions, crap pay, low prospects, little reward."
what utter tosh. My kids school is brand new (as are all the HIgh Schools around this region), the facilities excellent, nice pupils and they get half the bloody year off and if they dont like it there are plenty other jobs in this age of record employment

Every advert for teaching and every teacher clearly states that IT IS A REWARDING JOB

Its not Grange Hill anymore
Old 17-06-2019, 12:30 PM #17
-

-

Quote:
what utter tosh. My kids school is brand new (as are all the HIgh Schools around this region), the facilities excellent, nice pupils and they get half the bloody year off and if they dont like it there are plenty other jobs in this age of record employment

Every advert for teaching and every teacher clearly states that IT IS A REWARDING JOB

Its not Grange Hill anymore
I'm not saying it's as bad as retail or other minimum wage slog but the realistic upper salary cap is around Ł35k and the prospects for development beyond a senior classroom role are low. It's never going to attract the upper levels of academic talent because the pay and prospects are quite simply better and more achievable elsewhere. The profession attracts A FEW who have a genuine passion for education - those teachers certainly do exist - but is it the majority of teachers? I highly doubt it.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 17-06-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 17-06-2019, 12:32 PM #18
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
I'm not saying it's as bad as retail or other minimum wage slog but the realistic upper salary cap is around Ł35k and the prospects for development beyond a senior classroom role are low. It's simply never going to attract the upper levels of academic talent because the pay and prospects are quite simply better and more achievable elsewhere. The profession attracts A FEW who simply have a genuine passion for education - those teachers certainly do exist - but is it the majority of teachers? I highly doubt it.
agree the real talent goes into the private sector but who wouldn't for extra money?

also totally agree with your main post explaining the whole semantic issue problemo

If the teacher had been more clued up he could have turned it into a great learning experience for the whole class
Old 17-06-2019, 01:05 PM #19
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
agree the real talent goes into the private sector but who wouldn't for extra money?

also totally agree with your main post explaining the whole semantic issue problemo

If the teacher had been more clued up he could have turned it into a great learning experience for the whole class
exactly, why would you kick a kid out just for having an alternative view, his job is to educate him, he was kicked out because the teacher didn't have a clue how to respond...apart from errr 'inclusion'

Last edited by Niamh.; 17-06-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 01:08 PM #20
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Did nobody spot the immense irony. "You can't voice your opinions here, we are inclusive"
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 01:09 PM #21
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

So basically you agree with Vicky that gender basically means personality type then?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 17-06-2019, 01:13 PM #22
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Did nobody spot the immense irony. "You can't voice your opinions here, we are inclusive"
Exactly, there's clearly huge confusion over this topic but it seems like we're not allowed to talk about it, you're just shut down and that's it

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 17-06-2019, 01:14 PM #23
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
So basically you agree with Vicky that gender basically means personality type then?
No, that would be a gargantuan over-simplification. There are entire Masters degrees in gender psychology.
Old 17-06-2019, 01:15 PM #24
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No, that would be a gargantuan over-simplification. There are entire Masters degrees in gender psychology.
So unless people have a masters degree they're never going to understand what gender is?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 17-06-2019, 01:18 PM #25
slé

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Julie
RPDR UK 2: Tayce
slé

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Julie
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

There are two SEXES, there are lots and lots of genders. Get your facts right!
sleleen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
class, kicked, lad, scottish