Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-06-2019, 04:39 PM #126
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I get that but there's no single way to react to what might be a threat, some people do react with anger in those circumstances rather than quivering fear or uncertainty. Given that numerous protestors were able to enter a room full of quite powerful and important people and roam freely suggests security was not particularly hot so there's no reason to assume it was impossible to get a weapon in

I'm not defending him but I think there's room for some understanding of the situation but it seems unless you get all angry and call him an evil Tory scumbag etc then you support violence against women so..
But..it really does look like that People all over are finding thousands of ways to make out he did nothing wrong and the woman deserved it. Like usual tbh. Just grates after a while..thats all
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:09 PM #127
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

The protester speaks to the Guardian
Looks like Vicky was right.

Quote:
Bruised and still shaken, Janet Barker is incredulous at the violent reaction of the Foreign Office minister Mark Field to her peaceful protest with fellow Greenpeace activists at the chancellor’s Mansion House speech.

However, she has no plans to press criminal charges over the physical assault. “I think it is something best dealt with in the court of opinion,” she said, while welcoming his suspension as a minister.

Barker said she had been trying to deliver leaflets to guests on Thursday evening when she was grabbed by the neck and arm and forcibly ejected by Field, despite her pleas for him to release his grip and allow her to walk from the dining hall.

“I remember a chair being pushed out. Then being shoved. I was saying, over and over: ‘This is a peaceful protest, a peaceful protest.’ I was saying it quite audibly, certainly loud enough.”

She could not see the man’s face, and had no idea who he was: “I just knew it was a guy. And that he was very, very angry. You could hear that in the tone of his voice.

“I knew he wanted me out,” said Barker, 40, who was carrying a phone and a small handbag. “ I thought if I just keep saying ‘peaceful protest, peaceful protest’ you hope to defuse the situation. But there was no diffusion in his anger.

“He continued to grip me by the neck and the arm all the way to the door of the building. Then, when we got to the door, he shoved me outside on to the street, and said: ‘This is what happens when people like you disturb our dinner.’”

Barker, from Builth Wells, Powys, has been a Greenpeace volunteer for many years and had entered the dinner with 20-30 activists who were hoping to deliver a speech about the climate crisis.

Predominantly women, they wore red dresses with sashes stating: “Climate emergency”.

“We wanted to enter in a very dignified way,” Barker said. “We were respectful. We even ensured that our dresses were the correct length, because women who attend the Mansion House have to have a specific length.”

They entered as “a block of red”, said Barker, who works in environmental education and homelessness prevention, and runs a small holding and ethical angora business. “The doors were open as we were going in, and when security staff clocked what was happening they did start to close the doors.”

Each had their roles, and hers was to deliver copies of the climate emergency speech to guests in the form of sealed letters.

Barker, whose Greenpeace activism has included joining a protest against dams on the Tapajós River in the Brazilian Amazon in support of the Munduruku people, said she believed she was one of the last to get in.

She was to walk to the right of the room with several others, but they had been locked out. Other protesters, walking to the left of the room, were being detained by security staff, so she found herself alone.

She thought if she walked around the back of the diners, she could hand a copy of the speech to Philip Hammond. “Nobody bothered me. It was fine.”

She estimates she was about 10 metres from Hammond, just approaching the right-hand corner of the top table. “Then a gentleman in front pushed his seat out and just grabbed me.”

Asked if she was carrying or doing anything that could possibly have indicated she might be armed and threatening, she said: “I had a phone, and a tiny handbag, which was open and full of leaflets. The only thing I was armed with was peer-reviewed science.”

She made no sudden movements, she said. “I was walking past him just like a waitress or waiter would.”

Field refused to relinquish his grip, she said. “I kept saying: “Look, just let go. I will walk on my own. I am not about to start a wrestling match with you. I will walk.’ He said: ‘I’m not letting go until you are out of this building.’”

She said no one came to her defence. “I think people were taken aback, like ‘What?’”

She said Field’s anger shocked her; it was palpable in his voice and grip. “The pressure on my neck never eased all the way down the stairs and until we were outside.” The inside of the top of her right arm was still red on Friday morning.

Once at the door, he shoved her with such force, she said, she struggled not to fall over. A woman, also at the door, told her: “You’re not welcome here.”

Once outside, Barker realised she was trembling.

“I think he needs to seriously look at why he reacted like that, why his anger went from 0-60 in 0.2 seconds. He needs anger management. Because I worry maybe he’s on a bit of a simmer all the time, that just one or two things might tip him over, especially for him to be like that towards a woman. It makes me wonder what else might trigger him off, and who else might be at the receiving end,” she said.

“I want him to think about what he did, and why he did it. And address his behaviour.”

Barker said she had anticipated verbal resistance. “We thought we might be ushered out, politely.”

Looking back on the incident, she said it was the authoritarianism that angered her. “That’s what I felt. He was very domineering. He seemed to think he was in the right.

“Those in power are very privileged. They are very disconnected with the everyday struggles of everybody else. And I really felt that was apparent in his behaviour. They are in power. They believe they are right, and I was a silly little girl.

“I still find is unbelievable. We are in a climate emergency. Fossil fuels, the Greenland ice sheet is melting, the Himalayan ice caps are melting, there’s going to be massive water shortages in the future and they are worried about their dinner being disturbed.

“I think we should remember that protest is a legitimate part of our democracy. It helps us evolve. Good things come from it. Look at the suffragettes, India democracy and Gandhi, the Black Power movement.

“And behaviour like this is trying to crush it, and we will keep rising up, because we have got to.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ger-management
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:39 PM #128
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Is that lunatic seriously comparing her little protest to Suffrage, Gandhi, and the abolition of slavery?

Last edited by Oliver_W; 21-06-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:40 PM #129
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Nah he cant get away with that. She should be prosecuted too but to lay hands on her and walk her out like that is assault. She didnt seem enough of a threat for him to plead self defence so he's in trouble.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:48 PM #130
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Is that lunatic seriously comparing her little protest to Suffrage, Gandhi, and the abolition of slavery?
Well, climate change is serious enough dont you think?
It certainly wont be combated by doing nothing and criticising everything
Old 21-06-2019, 06:49 PM #131
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

But he showed that he has what it takes to be chief whip and get reluctant MP's to vote the way they are told.

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 06:55 PM #132
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Sure. But the better way to do that would be to suggest -or even better, pioneer- viable alternatives and strategies. Do they think the government is gonna push the button labelled "make everything better" once a certain number of roads have been blocked?

Old 21-06-2019, 06:56 PM #133

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Sure. But the better way to do that would be to suggest -or even better, pioneer- viable alternatives and strategies. Do they think the government is gonna push the button labelled "make everything better" once a certain number of roads have been blocked?
Well said Oliver

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:07 PM #134
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
Nah he cant get away with that. She should be prosecuted too but to lay hands on her and walk her out like that is assault. She didnt seem enough of a threat for him to plead self defence so he's in trouble.
..yeah she obviously shouldn’t have been there...and he was angry that she was and used unreasonable force...just because he wanted to and because he could...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:12 PM #135
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
It is very serious.
Many things have had to have more prominent and intrusive action taken to right wrongs.
Or to win just causes.

Some seem to want to remove from anyone,(who is not on a right wing agenda), the right to protest.

They really are unbelievable.
I'm actually sickened people on here are dressing up what this man did.

Probably just because he's a Conservative MP.

Because had this been a Labour MP.
Their statements would be likely a whole turnaround.

I would be saying all I've said no matter what Party this man was from.
He was out of order 100% and he initiated and committed an assault.
On someone who made no move to him or even attempted to harm him by fighting back either.

To read of people putting her down for her cause rather than condemning an unprovoked assault.
Fills me with despair for the UK.

Is that the gutter level we've sunk to.
Disgraceful.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:25 PM #136
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
It's about showing people wont let them compromise on the urgency for action

And in this case is about raising awareness among business leaders

It all leads to developing critical mass for the movement and also making a nuisance of themselves so that everybody understands the protest wont go away.
Very much like the other causes she compared it to did. Those activists were also called lunatics in their time.
Old 21-06-2019, 08:27 PM #137

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

He was too rough.
Although he was right to react before she reached the chancellor he should’ve reacted calmer and blocked her then lead her out or if she refused then got a licensed security staff member to kick her out.
He seems to have not assessed the situation properly and acted purely on instinct.
The frightening thing for me is the total lack of security.He should never have been put in that situation.That could have been any nutter.
Nobody unauthorised should be able to get anywhere near that table or even in that room.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 08:51 PM #138
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
The frightening thing for me is the total lack of security.He should never have been put in that situation.That could have been any nutter.
Nobody unauthorised should be able to get anywhere near that table or even in that room.
Yeah, that is much scarier than some woman being removed from a room.

Old 21-06-2019, 09:43 PM #139
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's about showing people wont let them compromise on the urgency for action

And in this case is about raising awareness among business leaders

It all leads to developing critical mass for the movement and also making a nuisance of themselves so that everybody understands the protest wont go away.
Very much like the other causes she compared it to did. Those activists were also called lunatics in their time.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 10:26 PM #140
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Good job on completely missing the point to focus on one tiny bit to try to discredit her.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:43 PM #141

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Matt, I would take that explanation IF he had seemed like..worried or unsure, rather than raging mad. Her was not hesitant in the slightest which you would be if you even thought it was possible someone was armed. There were security scanners also. I actually find it really sad that people seem to be using endless excuses to make out a guy who randomly attacked a woman was in 'self defense' or whatever, when the video kind of shows..it clearly was not.

Anything to excuse violence against women though, or even blame it on the woman. Twas ever thus.
It wasn't in self defense....it was to get the noisy **** out the party. ..and boy did he do that.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 11:48 PM #142
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
It wasn't in self defense....it was to get the noisy **** out the party. ..and boy did he do that.
Somehow May and party chairman disagree with your assessment saying his actions are very concerning and hard to defend.
Now, who is better informed them or you?
Old 21-06-2019, 11:50 PM #143

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Somehow May and party chairman disagree with your assessment saying his actions are very concerning and hard to defend.
Now, who is better informed them or you?
Me.
Old 21-06-2019, 11:52 PM #144
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Night night
Old 21-06-2019, 11:58 PM #145

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Night night
Why do you think he did it then?

And don't you think he made a good job of it?
Old 22-06-2019, 12:06 AM #146
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post

Tea
true
Old 22-06-2019, 12:25 AM #147
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post

Tea
- Farage was making political appearances, no danger to anyone

- Brand jokingly incited violence, but chimping over that is stupid

- woman broke into a political meeting and was striding over toward one of the members. She could easily have been a threat.

Old 22-06-2019, 12:25 AM #148

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
true
What is the right? ?

Can you explain to me what "the right" is.?
Old 22-06-2019, 12:28 AM #149
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
What is the right? ?

Can you explain to me what "the right" is.?
Have a strong feeling you’re already prepared to argue back at any answer given
Old 22-06-2019, 12:30 AM #150
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
- Farage was making political appearances, no danger to anyone

- Brand jokingly incited violence, but chimping over that is stupid

- woman broke into a political meeting and was striding over toward one of the members. She could easily have been a threat.

Jokingly inciting violence is worse than actual, literal violence

Ok oliver

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
climate, event, field, grabs, house, mansion, mark, mp, neck, protester, tory