Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-06-2019, 06:39 AM #51
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:16 AM #52
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...it’ll be interesting to see if the images of the bodies of Oscar Alberto Martínez and his 23-month old daughter Angie Valeria lying face down and lifeless in the Rio Grande ...their heads together and wrapped in a black T-shirt... and her arm reaching out to her father in their last moments...will have any impact in this whole despicable inhumane situation...human beings being treated as if they’re worthless ...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:32 AM #53
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...most are crossing the border to be with family so why are the children not given to the care of those families...surely that’s the most humane thing and the least strain on any resources ...what an awful man... the children could leave if they wanted to, there are no locks on the doors etc..yet when questioned further on that...all he did was to go into an open border rant...so easy to understand his stance on those children...of course the children can’t leave...they’re children, where on earth would they go..?...it’s up to the government to locate any families in the USA and to reunite them...there is nothing humane about what is happening in those camps atm...and to say ‘well children can leave through an unlocked door’ is staggering...he goes back to his home/his family/his comfort and sustenance each day...if those children were able to walk through those ‘open doors’...where on earth does he think they’re going to walk to and what are they going to walk to...where is their life..?...imbecile he is...imbecile in a pompous, privileged, Trump devised suit....
Said perfectly
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:55 AM #54
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...it’ll be interesting to see if the images of the bodies of Oscar Alberto Martínez and his 23-month old daughter Angie Valeria lying face down and lifeless in the Rio Grande ...their heads together and wrapped in a black T-shirt... and her arm reaching out to her father in their last moments...will have any impact in this whole despicable inhumane situation...human beings being treated as if they’re worthless ...
Sadly Ammi, I doubt it. The people who are OK with these camps won't bat an eyelid.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 09:36 AM #55
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I'm not a supporter of these camps, they're a despicable way for one set of humans to treat another, it shames the USA. However, I uphold the idea that the Democrats have used the term "concentration camps" in a deliberately provocative and inflammatory way. Of course, I don't imagine everyone will agree with me, but I would urge you to google the pictures of the internment of Japanese people in the 40s taken by Ansel Adams (or any other photographer for that matter)... and compare those with any googled pictures of Nazi concentration camps and ask yourself if they bear any resemblance to each other.

Using the term 'concentration camps' may be semantically correct, but in my opinion it weakens the term and could give people the idea that those who suffered in Germany's concentration camps - and I don't mean just the Jews, I mean the gays, the gypsies, the disabled - went through no more than the Japanese internees did. Of around 120,000 Japanese internees, less than 2000 died while incarcerated and while I'm not saying that's acceptable, it's not indicative of what has become understood to be a "concentration camp". We can't let this stuff be minimised.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:32 PM #56
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Humans have the concentration span of a fish with subjects like this, read it move on to the next page, then it’s what am I having for tea?.

We just chew the fat on here, don’t matter how informed you are, how disgusted you, it will still be happening.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:38 PM #57
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

We spend hundreds of thousands keeping a murderer alive but we let innocent kids die of starvation.

Last edited by thesheriff443; 27-06-2019 at 01:39 PM.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:40 PM #58
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Humans have the concentration span of a fish with subjects like this, read it move on to the next page, then it’s what am I having for tea?.

We just chew the fat on here, don’t matter how informed you are, how disgusted you, it will still be happening.
True buy what can you do
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:49 PM #59
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I'm not a supporter of these camps, they're a despicable way for one set of humans to treat another, it shames the USA. However, I uphold the idea that the Democrats have used the term "concentration camps" in a deliberately provocative and inflammatory way. Of course, I don't imagine everyone will agree with me, but I would urge you to google the pictures of the internment of Japanese people in the 40s taken by Ansel Adams (or any other photographer for that matter)... and compare those with any googled pictures of Nazi concentration camps and ask yourself if they bear any resemblance to each other.

Using the term 'concentration camps' may be semantically correct, but in my opinion it weakens the term and could give people the idea that those who suffered in Germany's concentration camps - and I don't mean just the Jews, I mean the gays, the gypsies, the disabled - went through no more than the Japanese internees did. Of around 120,000 Japanese internees, less than 2000 died while incarcerated and while I'm not saying that's acceptable, it's not indicative of what has become understood to be a "concentration camp". We can't let this stuff be minimised.
I agree with you in a sense but I would still argue that the extremity and the horror of the usage of concentration camps by Nazi Germany is more semantically appropriate to be labelled as "the Holocaust" more than a complete threshold over the concept of concentration camps itself. Whilst even the most shallow and uninformed observer of WW2 history would associate "concentration camps" with "the deaths of 6m+ Jews" it is still a grotesque situation for the US to find themselves in, especially with the knowledge and supposed wisdom of such horrific treatments of prisoners in the past.

Naturally it's a phrasing that is intended to provoke outrage and disgust but having seen photographs of some of their conditions I don't think that it's really being done falsely or with the intention of misleading people.

But to me it's a little like someone arguing that someone who's killed 10 people shouldn't be called a mass murderer because Pol Pot killed 2 million or so Cambodians. We don't need to witness the literal worst ever example of a phenomenon to label it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 02:08 PM #60
Banned

Banned

Quote:

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. As I said before, concentration camps existed before WW2 and we shouldn't be hesitant to call out other instances of concentration camps being used just because of the past, the horrors of the past should encourage us to speak out against it, in fact. After all, when the Nazi concentration camps were first introduced, they weren't death camps, that is what they became when they went unchallenged.

Call them what they are, concentration camps and shame the administration for it. Being hesitant to say what they are only allows them to go unchallenged.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 02:30 PM #61
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):

The lack of compassion for these poor kids from some is really disturbing tbh (mostly the 'Trump can do no wrong' MAGA brigade), I can't wait for him to be booted out of office in 2020 and someone sane can come in and sort this out.

Easy to see how fascism rose in the 1930-40s looking at today

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:04 PM #62
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:

Yeah as AOC is American she was probably using the term from an American perspective rather than the European one. To the Americans it probably doesn't bring to mind the same images.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:47 PM #63
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I agree with you in a sense but I would still argue that the extremity and the horror of the usage of concentration camps by Nazi Germany is more semantically appropriate to be labelled as "the Holocaust" more than a complete threshold over the concept of concentration camps itself. Whilst even the most shallow and uninformed observer of WW2 history would associate "concentration camps" with "the deaths of 6m+ Jews" it is still a grotesque situation for the US to find themselves in, especially with the knowledge and supposed wisdom of such horrific treatments of prisoners in the past.

Naturally it's a phrasing that is intended to provoke outrage and disgust but having seen photographs of some of their conditions I don't think that it's really being done falsely or with the intention of misleading people.

But to me it's a little like someone arguing that someone who's killed 10 people shouldn't be called a mass murderer because Pol Pot killed 2 million or so Cambodians. We don't need to witness the literal worst ever example of a phenomenon to label it that.
I agree with you too, in a sense. I wouldn't want to minimise what the internees in the USA are going through. It was the provocative use of the word. And yes, we have the Holocaust. And most people remember the six million Jews, but Jews make up only about a third of the total deaths during the Holocaust. I don't think it was entirely my faith made me object to the word although obviously part of it.

Good post though.
Old 27-06-2019, 04:15 PM #64
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

I'd argue that nazi camps should be called death camps rather than concentration camps. That was their raison d'etre, extermination not detention. Very often new shipments of people were herded to gas chambers without setting foot in barracks.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 06:48 PM #65

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
I'd argue that nazi camps should be called death camps rather than concentration camps. That was their raison d'etre, extermination not detention. Very often new shipments of people were herded to gas chambers without setting foot in barracks.
I would agree.Concertaton camps existing long before WW2.We Boers were held in them during the Boer War..we staved and were beaten during this time...the Boer women were raped and murdered if they didn't disclose where their brothers or husbands were.....There is a difference between Death camps and consertration camps
lime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 07:01 PM #66

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
The lack of compassion for these poor kids from some is really disturbing tbh (mostly the 'Trump can do no wrong' MAGA brigade), I can't wait for him to be booted out of office in 2020 and someone sane can come in and sort this out.

Easy to see how fascism rose in the 1930-40s looking at today
But he won't be booted out of office...This is a small forum but check how many support him.We in Ireland are listening to the hustings...and it it nothing short of bizzare that these guys are never challlenged on facts....Why does the British media ...and I don't want to say they should be challenged on feelings...WHY for the love of all things sacred are they not challenged on facts???.

We have all given up in the EU now...We respect you want no deal..The DUP and ERG want no deal ...so why is this buffon talking about a deal ...So frustrating ..Don't we all just want to move on
lime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM #67
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Canadian cartoonist loses job after illustration of Trump went viral

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 PM #68
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 AM #69
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
And most people remember the six million Jews, but Jews make up only about a third of the total deaths during the Holocaust.
Is that true? I always assumed it was a 90-95% case, but I guess political opponents and other races / non-Jewish eastern Europeans would've been a large portion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:18 AM #70

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
how disgusting is that...
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 AM #71
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Is that true? I always assumed it was a 90-95% case, but I guess political opponents and other races / non-Jewish eastern Europeans would've been a large portion too.
Maybe Jews make up slightly more than a third... but much less than half.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Livia; 02-07-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 AM #72
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Not a fan of Trump. not in any way, shape or form... but that is a disgusting cartoon.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM #73

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
And some people lap this **** up .

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM #74
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Not a fan of Trump. not in any way, shape or form... but that is a disgusting cartoon.
agreed, i'm myself usually liking cartoons in our tabloids but they should be kept funny, and this one is quite disgusting

we also have a comic in our magazines here called ''jan jans & kinderen (children)'' also more in a funny way about all sorts of things being shown in news daily

but this De Adder (what is a bit dutch last name btw) he's quite edgy and here he crossed that line of funny into unfunny and disgusting

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM #75

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek

The cartoon is disgusting, but that’s the point, it’s showing Trump’s and the average right-winger’s contempt and lack of empathy for these people, so in that case, it’s a brilliant piece of art.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
camps, concentration