Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-07-2019, 10:23 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default When did people lose the ability to ‘agree to disagree’ over politics?

People falling out online,insulting each other,even falling out with real life friends and family members..
People throwing eggs and milky beverages at politicians.
‘I could never be friends with a Tory’ ,’If you voted Brexit unfriend me’ etc etc.
People vociferously defending these arseholes in Parliament.

When did it all become so tribal and why can’t people just agree to disagree and move on anymore?
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:25 PM #2

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
People falling out online,insulting each other,even falling out with real life friends and family members..
‘I could never be friends with a Tory’ ,’If you voted Brexit unfriend me’ etc etc.

When did it all become so tribal and why can’t people just agree to disagree and move on anymore?
Great post, we should all be able to air our opinions,without the hassle of people getting irate

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:28 PM #3
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz

I think everything is in extremes now. There is no grey... just black or white... very few party politics sit in the center anymore. It's far right or far left. If you are left leaning on here... you get called antisemitic. If you are rt leaning... a racist. Why? Because there is no left of center parties... only far left to support... and Vissa versa for the right.
That's my perspective of it from middle ground Canada
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:43 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I think possibly the rise of social media and the internet in general has a large part to play in it.
People go at it hammer and tong online and say things they probably wouldn’t say around the dinner table or in the pub and this spills over into real life.
Also online campaigns for ‘real change’ and ‘new political movements’ in politics is bringing the extreme ends of the political spectrum to the fore.
When one side goes hard left or right there’s always an equal and opposite reaction.
Old 18-07-2019, 10:43 PM #5
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

if the topic is on the monarchy and their place in Britain then yeah we can agree to disagree if its a manifesto on why blackface is ok then **** you xo
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:46 PM #6
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post

It is sad to see.
Actually I hold my hands up to being less tolerant myself than I was.

Normal politics can be divisive but usually more constrained, although very heated at times.

The EU referendum brought into play a more tribal faction of remain or leave voters, and the narrow 3.8% majority, added to the friction from both factions.

Then we have the 2 main Parties failing to lead on both brexit and generally.
That also fuels the discord.

I said to parmnion the other day, face to face debate is better in my view, where you hear the tone intended and see the reactions to each sides points.
I find there's less negativity face to face.
Not eradicated but far less.

The written word gives usually little hint of tone or even hurt, and meaning in what's said too.

It is unfortunate and very sad that personal insults, unnecessary getting at others, takes place more now.
That tensions are fuelled further, rather than damping the flames of discord.
I admit I am guilty of that, on here and off here at times.

From my own perspective, life has taught me things are rarely all black or all white, in just about all issues, there are near endless grey areas.

Very sadly, those grey areas are discounted more now, and people get entrenched in whatever side they lean to.
Refusing to compromise and listen more than speak.

It's like, kind of one standing at the top,one at the bottom of the figure 6 drawn on the ground.
To one it's a 6, to the other it's a figure 9.
Change places with each other you can then see really both can be right and have a valid point.

I agree it's all very unfortunate.
Sadly it's now a fact across the whole UK now.

Last edited by joeysteele; 18-07-2019 at 10:49 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:00 PM #7
-

-

I can agree to disagree on plenty of political topics. At the moment though, there is an increasingly emboldened section of "opinion" that is frankly completely ****ing sinister and no I don't think anyone should have to "agree to disagree" and keep quiet about it. The political world was relatively stable for a long time, and people mistakenly think that means that nothing that can happen now can really be "all that serious". But things are actually edging in a very serious and worrying direction. "Agreeing to disagree" from the fence and letting that **** fly in the current climate would be a huge mistake. Even in little corners of the Internet like this one, these things absolutely do matter right now, and I personally hope every single person inclined to do so continues to combat this utterly toxic mess every time they see it.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 18-07-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:03 PM #8

Politics has gotten a lot weirder and opinions more divided over the last few years. I think the start of it was the Scottish independence referendum, which showed a huge change could be contemplated.

I agree that social media makes things worse, as it gives the strongest voice to those who are most dogmatic and less willing to compromise, and it isn't a good arena for political discussion.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:09 PM #9

Things have changed massively. When I was a kid my mum always said to never discuss religion or politics as they always lead to rows. I never knew who she voted for, ever. Since she died my dad will discuss politics a little, but he is the most passive man you will ever meet so would never argue over politics. He said he has no idea who their closest friends voted for as it was an unwritten rule then that you didn't discuss it. Bi kind of like that because if you lean one way or the other, you rarely will convince someone whi leans the other that you're right so why bother when in every other aspect of life you're friends?? As long as they are not actively offensive in any shape or form, I don't care who my friends vote for, politicians are all lying bastards anyway.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:15 PM #10

I think most people avoid talking about politics in real life, because people know they are likely to alienate someone. There's a lot more to life than politics anyway, and politicians only have so much influence on our lives.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:18 PM #11

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

There’s no ‘agreeing to disagree’ when it comes to racism and general bigotry imo, anything else yeah, but people shouldn’t stay quiet just for the sake of peace
Old 18-07-2019, 11:22 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
There’s no ‘agreeing to disagree’ when it comes to racism and general bigotry imo, anything else yeah, but people shouldn’t stay quiet just for the sake of peace
Most people wouldn't say the things the say in RL to peoples faces though, unless they are hard lined racists /bigots. Unfortunately, the internet gives the keyboard.warriors a springboard to voice views almost anonymously and you're right, views like that should be challenged although ultimately that challenge will fall on deaf ears
Old 18-07-2019, 11:45 PM #13
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

I believe that the 9/11 and the rise of muslim extremism plus the economic crisis of 2008 are to blame. They created conditions favourable to the rise of far right in the west.
The far right is trying to roll back time and make multiculturalism, reproductive rights, internatinal cooperation and tolerance into dirty words. They encourage selfishness and isolationism, they thrive on division. Internet is perfect medium to spread their poison by appealing to peoples baser instincts and by using peoples insecurities: economic, cultural etc They are helped by russia trying to destabilize the west for its own ends.
There's a reaction to that from progressives and so all gets polarized and nasty.
Look at the trump presidency and how much damage one well placed demagogue is able to create.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:55 PM #14

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Yeah,When i say ‘agree to disagree’ I don’t mean everyone should just stay quiet and not challenge opposing positions.
I think it’s the extremes and toxicity that debates get to these days.
People actually falling out with each other over their politics.
People hurling insults and hate at each other.

With regard to racism.You don’t often get people saying ‘It’s ok to be racist’.
Very few people other than far right nutters believe that.
It’s usually people disagreeing with each others definition of what constitutes racism.
Old 19-07-2019, 04:20 AM #15
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Politics has been dumbed down to sound bites that encourage a simple response. Brexit means brexit .......

The problem is that things arent simple, there are a million shades of grey, but that doesn't suit a politician trying to win an argument. So, it is simplified to the point that even the least intelligent can form an opinion. Thats what we are seeing now. Everything simplified to yes or no, forcing division where there is none because the pragmatic solution would always be something between the 2 poles. Historically, that is what has changed.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 04:36 AM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I can agree to disagree on plenty of political topics. At the moment though, there is an increasingly emboldened section of "opinion" that is frankly completely ****ing sinister and no I don't think anyone should have to "agree to disagree" and keep quiet about it. The political world was relatively stable for a long time, and people mistakenly think that means that nothing that can happen now can really be "all that serious". But things are actually edging in a very serious and worrying direction. "Agreeing to disagree" from the fence and letting that **** fly in the current climate would be a huge mistake. Even in little corners of the Internet like this one, these things absolutely do matter right now, and I personally hope every single person inclined to do so continues to combat this utterly toxic mess every time they see it.
...a lot of what TS has said I think is worryingly so..and there is less and less thought for others and what their lives are and more of an insular mindset of I’m alright Jack, type thing...it also sometimes feels as though it’s becoming a ‘trend’ to say something ‘edgy’ and controversial etc...and click-bait with the intention to disagree and no intention to agree...using real issues that people have as an amusement, type thing...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 05:27 AM #17
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I agree totally.
Those issues are high tension ones at any given time.
Often those issues then crossover to become more personalised too.
Sometimes by only one or more debating the issue.
That then inflames greatly the already present underlying tensions.

I agree staying silent or rolling over and taking what's thrown out as to racism and bigotry is not the best thing to do.
Doing so can make the issue gain more ground and get significantly worse.

There's a lot of both divisive and toxic issues in politics right now..
Not just in the UK but around the World.
Even the general domestic issues, for too long avoided being really addressed, now for many years.
Have tensions that will surface after, at least for one issue,brexit is near sorted.
Wherever brexit may be even going and end up.
Still a good number of years to go on that issue too however.

Yes absolutely, I agree that bigotry and racism and from that, setting out to incite or fuel the divisions already of both.
Agreeing to disagree is the worst way out if debating both.

Some things have to be called out, otherwise as what has landed with politics after the EU referendum, as a good part of it.
Opening up more extreme and dangerous presentations of positions will only get even worse.

Last edited by joeysteele; 19-07-2019 at 05:30 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 07:36 AM #18
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I'd say as politics has become more polarised so has public opinion. I also think sociology has a part to play, take austerity for instance the degree to which that impacts your life can influence which way you lean left or right.
Media bias (which is a thing) plays a role too.
Old 19-07-2019, 08:53 AM #19
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Gradually over the years when racism and homophobia etc became wholly unacceptable but others still used it as a political motive.

Can’t really agree to disagree on something that is entirely unacceptable across the country.. doesn’t really make sense.
Old 19-07-2019, 10:39 AM #20

Because one side is wrong and the other side is right.
Old 19-07-2019, 11:11 AM #21
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Most people wouldn't say the things the say in RL to peoples faces though, unless they are hard lined racists /bigots. Unfortunately, the internet gives the keyboard.warriors a springboard to voice views almost anonymously and you're right, views like that should be challenged although ultimately that challenge will fall on deaf ears
This is so true.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:14 AM #22
You know my methods

You know my methods

If we had to have a licence to use the internet then it would calm down, knowing that your name and address could be accessed by say YT, Facebook, forums etc would stop the anonymous bravery
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:16 AM #23
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
If we had to have a licence to use the internet then it would calm down, knowing that your name and address could be accessed by say YT, Facebook, forums etc would stop the anonymous bravery
Hey Trumpet, so good to see you...
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 11:20 AM #24
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Hey Trumpet, so good to see you...
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 02:04 PM #25

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

People will argue over the price of fish, so no surprise at venting about something they have strong opinions on, right or wrong.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ability, disagree’, lose, people, politics, ‘agree