Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 23-07-2019, 12:15 AM #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
Yeah, I've read about this in the past.

There's been theories that Vernita Green's daughter may exact revenge against Beatrice.
Ahhh! I see that, that'd be cool.

There's so many things flying around though now he's confirmed he's absolutely doing -at least- one more "big movie".

There's Kill Bill 3, Star Trek, Django & Zorro crossover and then there's that Australian Western with a female lead that he's spoke about before wanting to do.

Guess we'll find out in about 5 years time!
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:32 AM #402

The premiere is underway, everyone's slowly arriving and going inside. It's really old-school, they have a huge bus with the movie on outside, an old 60's bus advertising the radio station featured in the movie even the huge Pussycat Theatre sign they recreated for the movie, awesome.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 23-07-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 23-07-2019, 02:44 AM #403

Our main attractions!

Old 23-07-2019, 07:50 AM #404

WOW okay so I’m really happy!

Turns out, the “spoiled ending” that was plastered on Wikipedia and the like that I regretfully read was complete rubbish and the ending of this movie is nothing like it.

Phew!!

Last edited by LaLaLand; 23-07-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:04 PM #405

James Marsden’s cut role has been revealed, he should have played a young Burt Reynolds. Reynolds of course was originally meant to play George Spahn in this movie but passed away sadly just before filming.

Would have been great to see both.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 23-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:05 PM #406

I’ve also seen the first few outright negative reviews today, just two or three but still.

However the % has now risen to 96 in Rotten Tomatoes so.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 23-07-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 23-07-2019, 09:54 PM #407

A few of the "awful" reviews:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Self-indulgent. Misogynist. Completely awful. These are but a few words that could be used to describe Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood, the wayward new film from Quentin Taratino. A supposed love letter to old Hollywood, this film is nothing more than Quentin Tarantino being given two hours and forty five minutes to run the audience through all his particular fetishes and indulge his worst instincts.

Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) are an actor-stuntman team that have been friends for years, even as their careers are beginning to wane. Dalton still has the fame of his Bounty Law tv show but is now more known for playing the heavy to other leading men. Booth meanwhile has taken to becoming more like an employee for Dalton, fixing his TV antennae and driving him around. Their lives begin to change as Booth makes the acquaintance of a young girl who hangs around Charles Manson and new neighbors named Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski move next door.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood does manage to nail the friendship between stuntman and actor well. Thank goodness or this movie would not have a single redeeming quality. Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are admittedly fantastic in their roles, even when the movie around is doing everything in its power to get you to not notice. Pitt is particularly great at bending his megawatt movie star power into something breezy, yet maintaining a coiled intensity that allows him to make his presence known in every scene.

It’s too bad the same kind of attention was not paid to anyone else as Quentin Tarantino shows more love and appreciation for the dirty feet of his female characters than he does to the characters themselves. (Seriously, how many shots do we need of dirty feet where they don’t belong: on dashboard and movie seats?) Margot Robbie is completely wasted as Sharon Tate, serving as nothing more than a red herring and a famous face. She barely has any lines and Quentin has no desire to make her character standout without them, calling into question his tirade at Cannes. Margaret Qualley, so vivid in Fosse/Verdon, is used for little more than an elevated manic pixie dream girl who wants to suck Booth’s cock while he’s driving her to a ranch in Chatsworth. The only female character that is served in any kind of significant way other than to be an object of QT’s fetishes is the young actress, played by Julia Butters, on the set of the new western Rick Dalton, who provides a jolt of energy the movie so desperately needs.

The reason that jolt of energy is needed is because the script of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is truly terrible. Tarantino is fully on the loose with this picture and with nothing holding him back (Sally Menke’s editorial eye is forever missed), he unleashes a torrent of bad ideas. There’s a running joke in this film that Booth has killed his wife and gotten away with it and in a flashback we see that his wife was a bitch. No other explanation needed and with even more violence against women set to come up in the movie, it all seems forgotten. This continues to extend through his disregard for the female characters doing anything of substance, the ruining of one potential great scene with Bruce Lee (Mike Moh), and just general nonsense about how great movies are that’s supposed to carry the audience towards an insane third act. Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood’s reputation will mainly rest on whether you think the Booth/Dalton stuff is strong enough to carry you through the muck of the rest of the film. For this reviewer, it was not, landing this film among the worst I’ve seen this year.

Spoiler:

Quote:
I hated it. And it really pains me to say that.

11 months of intense anticipation after spending 3 days on the Hollywood Blvd set last summer may have set me up for a fall. But...

It draaaaaged. Some scenes went nowhere. Most scenes were way too long. I liked Rick's existential professional dilema and the relationship he had with Cliff. The perforrmances were strong.

The Third Act. Jesus, what bull****. It felt like it was from a completely different movie. I still can't believe he made the choices he did.

I think it would be a much better film at, say, 100 minutes (with a different ending!) than this 162 minute mess.

And let's ponder for a moment about the huge bucks he spent regressing all of those cool L.A. locations back to 1969. There was probably less than 45 seconds of that footage in the whole film. That's Heaven's Gate-level excess. Of course, including more of that footage would have made the film drag even more--so it was kind of a lose-lose.

And I'm seriously over of his foot fetish. It's become embarrassing, to be honest.

Seems like feminists will have a real problem with this movie, and people seem to have a problem with the way Bruce Lee is portrayed here, already seen "racist" being thrown around. BUT it was 1969, and the world was a very different place back then and it has to be represented as such to be accurate.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 24-07-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:03 AM #408

Soundtrack is apparently coming out end of the week, Friday possibly (Spotify anyway).

Apparently the songs have been picked very cleverly and allude to the plot which possibly explains the late release/lack of info. For example, I've heard "Out of Time" by The Rolling Stones is on there - who exactly is "out of time" and for what only the people who have seen the film will know.

I'm seeing time after time that whatever goes down in the end is mind-blowing, "comes out of nowhere", some huge twist.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 24-07-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:07 AM #409

Calling it "cruel" and "insulting" is intriguing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 01:11 AM #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Calling it "cruel" and "insulting" is intriguing.
Yeah it kind of makes me get the feeling that this may not be so revisionist like Inglorious after all...
Old 24-07-2019, 01:13 AM #411

I'm imagining some kind of Kill Bill style fight between Sharon and the Mansons with her winning?

Last edited by Marsh.; 24-07-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:15 AM #412

Quote:
I'm imagining some kind of Kill Bill style fight between Sharon and the Mansons with her winning?
That's what I'd imagined all along yano, but seeing those bad reviews kind of alludes to a possibility that Tate isn't "saved" perhaps, but idk.

I want to go in completely blind to what happens in August so I get potentially genuinely shocked. NOTHING prepared me for the ending of Inglorious Basterds, I remember sitting there with my jaw almost on the floor, wasn't a sound in the cinema, people even stopped eating!

Last edited by LaLaLand; 24-07-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:23 AM #413

OH the guy calling it cruel has expanded his thoughts in another summary:

Quote:
10. "Once Upon a Time in … Hollywood" (2019) Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) is a meaningless footnote in her own life story in Quentin Tarantino’s baffling and insulting ode to 1960s Hollywood. Robbie is criminally underutilized, taking a backseat to a fictional, mediocre actor (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his stunt double (Brad Pitt). They worry about their careers and mock Bruce Lee for two hours, until the film builds to a cruel, misogynistic Manson Family climax that finally reveals the true reason the film exists: to be a shameless self-insert fantasy. “Once Upon a Time” is by far Tarantino’s most immature film, a nonstop nostalgia fetish parade with no demonstrable respect for the real-life tragedies it portrays.
He's ranked it as QT's worst movie...

1. Jackie Brown (I love it but better than Pulp/IB/Bill? Nah!)
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Kill Bill 1
5. Django Unchained
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Proof
8. Kill Bill 2
9. The Hateful 8
10. OUATIH

Last edited by LaLaLand; 24-07-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:27 AM #414

Quote:
a meaningless footnote in her own life story
Hmm, this might be his issue. He was expecting a Sharon Tate life story but Tarantino has never stated it was.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:39 AM #415

Quote:
Hmm, this might be his issue. He was expecting a Sharon Tate life story but Tarantino has never stated it was.
True! Sharon/Manson is a "backdrop" to the movie, this has been made clear from day 1. This has never been, in any way, "a movie about Sharon Tate". It's a movie about Hollywood and the industry of 60's Hollywood first and foremost.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:43 AM #416

I watched a few videos on YouTube that gave it 7 out of 10 type reviews.

Last edited by James; 24-07-2019 at 01:45 AM.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 03:58 AM #417

New sister-website launched, "Once Upon a Time in 1969" - 1969 changed everything — explore the dramatic events, iconic locations, and the cultural shocks that shaped life Once Upon a Time … In Hollywood.

Link

VERY cool! Puts the setting and events of the movie in context.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 24-07-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old 24-07-2019, 10:14 AM #418
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLand View Post
A few of the "awful" reviews:

Spoiler:

Seems like feminists will have a real problem with this movie, and people seem to have a problem with the way Bruce Lee is portrayed here, already seen "racist" being thrown around. BUT it was 1969, and the world was a very different place back then and it has to be represented as such to be accurate.
My prediction of a flop carries a bit more weight now.

Tarantino has lived off the reputation of his early 90s films, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. He's never improved as a director since then, and that was almost 30 years ago.

Last edited by Alf; 24-07-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 07:21 PM #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post

Tarantino has lived off the reputation of his early 90s films, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. He's never improved as a director since then, and that was almost 30 years ago.
Inglorious Basterds is cinematically incredible though so.
Old 24-07-2019, 07:32 PM #420
Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
DOI 2020: Maura Higgins

Why So Serious?

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
DOI 2020: Maura Higgins

Quote:

Again, all of his films post Pulp Fiction have been critically acclaimed apart from Death Proof. Both Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained were nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and Tarantino won Best Screenplay for Django, as well as receiving nominations for Best Director in both films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Oh yeah, you could definitely see the memory of his cock in her eyes
Tony Montana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 07:38 PM #421
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
Again, all of his films post Pulp Fiction have been critically acclaimed apart from Death Proof. Both Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained were nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and Tarantino won Best Screenplay for Django, as well as receiving nominations for Best Director in both films.
Can't really count the Oscars as a credible sauce, lots of tripe wins and gets nominated for Oscars. Their judgement has been found wanting on many occasions.
Old 24-07-2019, 08:33 PM #422

Quote:
Can't really count the Oscars as a credible sauce, lots of tripe wins and gets nominated for Oscars. Their judgement has been found wanting on many occasions.
Ugh LOVE credible sauce on my chips!

Only messing!
Old 24-07-2019, 09:56 PM #423
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLand View Post
Ugh LOVE credible sauce on my chips!

Only messing!
I did that purposely and you can't prove otherwise.
Old 25-07-2019, 02:44 PM #424
Sod orf

Sod orf

Scorsese Is due to have a film out by the end of the year.

The Irishman

Starring
Robert De Niro
Al Pacino
Harvey Keitel
Joe Pesci
Old 25-07-2019, 08:32 PM #425

Advert was just on the TV!! First one I’ve seen

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2019, cast, date, details, dicaprio, july, manson, margot, movie, pitt, plot, release, tarantino