Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Should the UK remain in the EU or leave?
Remain 30 54.55%
Remain
30 54.55%
Leave 18 32.73%
Leave
18 32.73%
Undecided 7 12.73%
Undecided
7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-08-2019, 04:24 PM #4776
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
To be fair, unicorns don't exist. The next labour leader that stepped up as acceptable would just be another tory-lite, which are the only folks that wouldn't be smeared and lied about in the same way Corbyn has.
Not surprising really as some of Corbyn's policies endanger the interests of the wealthy elite who also happens to own a big chunk of the media
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:30 PM #4777
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Not surprising really as some of Corbyn's policies endanger the interests of the wealthy elite who also happens to own a big chunk of the media
This is what I find the most bizarre thing about politics; the way people can be swayed/hoodwinked to vote against themselves and their own interests (not cherie - talking generally), in order to put the next member of the bullingdon club in power to try and steal even more from their plates.
Old 19-08-2019, 04:32 PM #4778
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
This is what I find the most bizarre thing about politics; the way people can be swayed/hoodwinked to vote against themselves and their own interests (not cherie - talking generally), in order to put the next member of the bullingdon club in power to try and steal even more from their plates.
Bc they cleverly employ peoples preexisting beliefs and prejudices. And people hate being wrong so
Old 19-08-2019, 04:53 PM #4779
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To be fair, unicorns don't exist. The next labour leader that stepped up as acceptable would just be another tory-lite, which are the only folks that wouldn't be smeared and lied about in the same way Corbyn has.
Labour will never get into power with Jeremy at the helm, Farage has more chance

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:04 PM #4780
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
The opposition haven't even been given a chance have they, he's made a reasonable time limited proposal to end the prospect of no deal... What's the problem?
Yes.
I agree with all that.

I don't see how those who don't just want no deal but want to remain, can't tolerate Corbyn as PM for a few weeks.
He's going to in effect risk voting himself out of power from the start.
After putting in place the extension for a general election to take place.

It's telling how the Lib Dems can work with Con leaders but not Labour ones.

Nick Clegg in 2010 said he couldn't work with Brown.
Indicating he'd have to stand down.

Now the same with Corbyn, they'd support another leader for the same plan.
Although their first choice is Conservative Ken Clarke.

Very telling to me.
Especially when they could support Cameron and all his austerity and heartless policies.

Last edited by joeysteele; 19-08-2019 at 05:05 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:11 PM #4781
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Im disgusted by BBC news and there bias reporting. Project fear is clearly in overdrive.
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:35 PM #4782

[Jeremy Corbyn smirks as Labour activists BOO
and heckle journalists as they try to quiz him
at his chaotic 'election pitch' news conference]
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rm-Brexit.html

He wants a a Vote
with Remain or Leave vote
if he is elected
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 05:42 PM #4783

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 10:01 PM #4784
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
a chance? they have been in opposition since the ref vote? how much longer do they need?

I just heard Jeremy say he will do everything in how power to stop a no deal Brexit, step down mate and give it to someone the country can actually get behind would be a start
How could he do anything cherie ..he wasn't in charge to do anything was he? That's why he's saying put me in charge and I will present a cross party approach.
What's wrong with the democratic approach...if theres no confidence in the pm the leader of the largest opposition leader asks to be interim pm, whats wrong with that?

He has a perfectly reasonable and legitimate mandate, so which Tom dick or Harry would you prefer... what are their credentials to facilitate brexit? Seems to me you're being influenced by tabloid chatter, just like in the failed coup anyone will do as long as it's not corbyn!
Where are those great redeemers now...Owen smith? Angela eagle? Chukka?! Sloped off with their tails between their legs they don't give a toss about Britain, brexit or even Labour come to that. The only goal was to oust corbyn, the ONLY goal.
That same media focused drive to replace the labour leader is in play now...we don't care who it is or what their policies are as long as it's not corbyn... it's not rational or in any way logical.. it makes zero sense.
On the one hand you have someone who has the right to mount a challenge, a clear and overt time specific mandate and... who? .... proposing what?... Britain should be renamed crazy town, that's what it is!

Last edited by Kizzy; 19-08-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 10:09 PM #4785
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSince2005 View Post
Im disgusted by BBC news and there bias reporting. Project fear is clearly in overdrive.
Project fear...another media inspired nonsense phrase.
Old 19-08-2019, 10:18 PM #4786
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rexit-backstop

Well well...what did I say? All bojo wants is rid of the backstop, note the lie in the peice... once we leave the customs arrangements can be made in the 2yr transition period? If we crash out there is NO transition period, unless this is him asking for an extention ..but it's doesn't look like it just more bull :/
Old 20-08-2019, 03:15 AM #4787
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Not Crash out

Leap victoriously clear unfettered by scuzzy deals

STOP USING THE LANGUAGE OF PROJECT FEAR!!!

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 04:56 AM #4788
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

It is project fear because the UK has to deal with ever changing economic conditions all the time. The world wont stop if we leave without a deal. No one can force feed you chlorinated chicken with an American trade deal. The NHS already contracts out to private firms for its services. The Americans don't have an entirely different set of drug companies to the ones in the UK.

Yes, brexit is a big step, one that I would prefer us not to take, but it is what it is. We deal with it and we move on

Another interesting aside. Many attribute blame/responsibility for brexit on older generations yet older people are notoriously resistant to change. They like the status quo by nature. It is younger generations that step boldly into the unknown ....... what happened there then

Last edited by bitontheslide; 20-08-2019 at 05:58 AM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 06:22 AM #4789
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rexit-backstop

Well well...what did I say? All bojo wants is rid of the backstop, note the lie in the peice... once we leave the customs arrangements can be made in the 2yr transition period? If we crash out there is NO transition period, unless this is him asking for an extention ..but it's doesn't look like it just more bull :/
The withdrawal agreement includes a 2 year transition period, so he's talking about if an altered deal is passed
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:23 AM #4790
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
It is project fear because the UK has to deal with ever changing economic conditions all the time. The world wont stop if we leave without a deal. No one can force feed you chlorinated chicken with an American trade deal. The NHS already contracts out to private firms for its services. The Americans don't have an entirely different set of drug companies to the ones in the UK.

Yes, brexit is a big step, one that I would prefer us not to take, but it is what it is. We deal with it and we move on

Another interesting aside. Many attribute blame/responsibility for brexit on older generations yet older people are notoriously resistant to change. They like the status quo by nature. It is younger generations that step boldly into the unknown ....... what happened there then
The world deals with ever changing economic conditions, only idiots force those conditions to be worse than everyone else.

American health care is a for profit industry, where their prices can be changed and upped on a daily basis if a ceo fancies a new jet that week. We all saw that Martin Skrelli (can't be arsed to google him) guy raise the price of a drug into the thousands.

Americans have to pay thousands every month for their healthcare policies, that turn out to not actually cover you when you need it most. They put limits on the amount they will spend on you before flat out refusing to pay for anything else, which will obviously help those brave older people and their thirst for change.

Seriously my friend, your post has no basis in reality.
Old 20-08-2019, 09:33 AM #4791
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
The world deals with ever changing economic conditions, only idiots force those conditions to be worse than everyone else.

American health care is a for profit industry, where their prices can be changed and upped on a daily basis if a ceo fancies a new jet that week. We all saw that Martin Skrelli (can't be arsed to google him) guy raise the price of a drug into the thousands.

Americans have to pay thousands every month for their healthcare policies, that turn out to not actually cover you when you need it most. They put limits on the amount they will spend on you before flat out refusing to pay for anything else, which will obviously help those brave older people and their thirst for change.

Seriously my friend, your post has no basis in reality.
On the contrary sir, my post is 100% factual and accurate.

Drug prices are set by region ... thats why America pays more than Canada or Mexico or 3rd world countries. It's the same drug companies. Also, where possible the NHS uses generic drugs where prices can't be fixed by drug companies. BTW ... Mexico and Canada both have trade deals with America

The NHS is contracted out to the private sector, and no-one did more to achieve that than the labour government.

We already have private health insurance schemes here ... same companies running things as do in the USA ....

Our food is marked with country of origin and you can bet that UK producers will plaster it everywhere when we leave the EU ... we don't need to eat American.

Before we joined the EU ... the motto was always buy British. It will revert to the same. People proud to support their local producers as they have always done

Just one more thing. ANY future government, as a sovereign nation is perfectly free to negotiate future trade deals or cancel them however they like. If labour dont like something, they will simply change it when they get in power. That's what being a sovereign nation allows you to do

Last edited by bitontheslide; 20-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 20-08-2019, 09:41 AM #4792
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
On the contrary sir, my post is 100% factual and accurate.

Drug prices are set by region ... thats why America pays more than Canada or Mexico or 3rd world countries. It's the same drug companies. Also, where possible the NHS uses generic drugs where prices can't be fixed by drug companies. BTW ... Mexico and Canada both have trade deals with America

The NHS is contracted out to the private sector, and no-one did more to achieve that than the labour government.

We already have private health insurance schemes here ... same companies running things as do in the USA ....

Our food is marked with country of origin and you can bet that UK producers will plaster it everywhere when we leave the EU ... we don't need to eat American.

Before we joined the EU ... the motto was always by British. It will revert to the same. People proud to support their local producers as they have always done
Currently, the NHS pays the private companies if it sends you to them, in the US there is no NHS, and there is no choice.

Yes, we have private healthcare over here, but you choose to pay for it if you want it. When you buy drugs with the purchasing power of a government behind you, you get a much cheaper deal across the board, when individuals buy drugs, then the costs are a lot higher, it's basic economics.

Countries with government healthcare use collective bargaining to lower prices, the US is exposed to a purely capitalist healthcare system where profit is driving the providers. It's not comparable.
Old 20-08-2019, 11:05 AM #4793
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
How could he do anything cherie ..he wasn't in charge to do anything was he? That's why he's saying put me in charge and I will present a cross party approach.
What's wrong with the democratic approach...if theres no confidence in the pm the leader of the largest opposition leader asks to be interim pm, whats wrong with that?

He has a perfectly reasonable and legitimate mandate, so which Tom dick or Harry would you prefer... what are their credentials to facilitate brexit? Seems to me you're being influenced by tabloid chatter, just like in the failed coup anyone will do as long as it's not corbyn!
Where are those great redeemers now...Owen smith? Angela eagle? Chukka?! Sloped off with their tails between their legs they don't give a toss about Britain, brexit or even Labour come to that. The only goal was to oust corbyn, the ONLY goal.
That same media focused drive to replace the labour leader is in play now...we don't care who it is or what their policies are as long as it's not corbyn... it's not rational or in any way logical.. it makes zero sense.
On the one hand you have someone who has the right to mount a challenge, a clear and overt time specific mandate and... who? .... proposing what?... Britain should be renamed crazy town, that's what it is!
I am actually basing my thoughts on seeing JC interviewed time time again on political programmes , and on the news where he failed time time again to get off the fence over Europe and would not commit to a second ref, heck he could have run with policy that against Mrs May could he not? and only now when he sniffs the possibility of him getting into No 10 is he willing to commit, I'm not blinkered by blind loyalty to any party thankfully

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 11:22 AM #4794
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I am actually basing my thoughts on seeing JC interviewed time time again on political programmes , and on the news where he failed time time again to get off the fence over Europe and would not commit to a second ref, heck he could have run with policy that against Mrs May could he not? and only now when he sniffs the possibility of him getting into No 10 is he willing to commit, I'm not blinkered by blind loyalty to any party thankfully
i still remember before the ref vote and he was supposed to be campaigning for remain and he was the invisible man. If he puts the same vigour into the next ref if it were to ever happen, the UK would certainly be in a better place ..... not
Old 20-08-2019, 11:25 AM #4795
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

@Cherie

Corbyn is still better than that media attention hungry Farage who has insulted the EU, pretended to care about eu elections just for him to win and troll in the european parliament which is disgusting behaviour

like if you don't care about the eu, don't bother to be in the eu elections, i think corbyn and labour should they have won in eu elections they would've been more respectful in european parliament, but GBP likes voting for trolls i guess rather than taking politics seriously

farage and his brexit party clan can say ''eu doesn't respect us'' but all the elite have done is nothing but disrespectful towards the EU, while EU has given plenty of time and now time has ran out, well i hope these idiots get their way with the ''no deal brexit'' and then well ''i told you so'' coming from me in a few months after

i care about the UK, about the middle class and poor in britain and i will continue to do so, and i feel sad for them that elite are so stuck up and power hungry

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 02:05 PM #4796
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
The withdrawal agreement includes a 2 year transition period, so he's talking about if an altered deal is passed
IF.......
Old 20-08-2019, 02:43 PM #4797
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
i still remember before the ref vote and he was supposed to be campaigning for remain and he was the invisible man. If he puts the same vigour into the next ref if it were to ever happen, the UK would certainly be in a better place ..... not
The invisible man.... google it he was everywhere :/
Old 20-08-2019, 02:55 PM #4798
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

what Boris is suggesting is to kick the can down the road 2 years on the backstop, make the decision then. I'ts not actually that unreasonable, because if that "is" all that's stopping a deal, then make use of the 2 years we are in transition because the back stop refers to how things will be handled after the transition period has ended, not before and the deal or no deal refers to the transition period, not the future relationship. The EU don't need anything more than that, they are, in that sense, being obstructive to a deal being done.

Last edited by bitontheslide; 20-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 20-08-2019, 04:37 PM #4799
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
what Boris is suggesting is to kick the can down the road 2 years on the backstop, make the decision then. I'ts not actually that unreasonable, because if that "is" all that's stopping a deal, then make use of the 2 years we are in transition because the back stop refers to how things will be handled after the transition period has ended, not before and the deal or no deal refers to the transition period, not the future relationship. The EU don't need anything more than that, they are, in that sense, being obstructive to a deal being done.
Are you sure?
Old 20-08-2019, 04:55 PM #4800
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Are you sure?
yep, once you think about it for a minute it's not unreasonable, and i'm no Boris fan. During transition we are still effectively in the customs union, so none of the arguments apply until after transition

Last edited by bitontheslide; 20-08-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2016, 23rd, brexit, eu, june, opera, referendum, soap