Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:25 PM #2726

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Lime the deal will of course have to satisfy all otherwise it will not be passed so that goes without saying ? no yikes about it
Cherie I do wish you were consisted.

a deal of some sorts is what you said??

Right now Cummings deal is a no go.Of course you know this as a woman from the Rebel county..right??
lime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:30 PM #2727

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Because we've been learning about genders instead.
So your still in school.My apolgagies..I thought you were an adult.Sorry

out of interest ..what is the class you sit in to learn genders?
Old 05-10-2019, 02:36 PM #2728
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
I never ever thought the UK owned Ireland, its pointless explaining to you my thoughts on it,as you know it all in your own head.

Really? Why are you lying? It was only a few pages back, in this very thread
Let's refresh your memory

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry lime I would have answered you earlier, as far as I know Ireland is part of the UK, not the EU but now you point it out, I see what you mean,but hopefully Ireland,England,Wales and Scotland can stay United, no way was I wanting to push Ireland out, I am half Irish myself and have lots of relatives there, so imo you are part of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I think Lime is in Republic of Ireland, not Northern Kaz, so they are not part of the UK and so a member of the EU in their own right.
Quote:
Oh right Annie,thanks for telling me, I didn't realize. I learn something new everyday Annie x
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:39 PM #2729
Banned

Banned

Quote:
you use that pearls analogy so often you must have a drawerful of them by now, try a different analogy maybe, it might have more impact. No one is outraged, just sick and tired of the abuse being hurled on both sides, you revel in in obviously

Given Parliament are striving to take no deal off the table, only a handful want to drive us off a cliff
I don't care if you think my terminology lacks impact, if it fits, I use it.

I don't revel in anything, I just don't care to waste my time being touchy feely with people who, like Twosugars said, place blind faith above knowledge.

Reality is a harsh bitch and it's gonna come down on the Brexiters whether they've buried their heads in the sand or not. Better to face it head on knowing everything there is to know then to cover their eyes and hope for the best. The train that is the Brexit mess has left the station, we can't take it off the tracks without constantly repeating the process of leaving and remaining. There's no point in convincing people who choose ignorance over reality. The best we can hope for is that, when this train crashes, it doesn't burst into flames so we can fix it. The crash has to happen but knowing a crash is coming let's us be better prepared for it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:45 PM #2730

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
How can you claim not to want no deal when you are painting all the analysts whose reputations rely on being correct to be apart of some 'biased media'?

When someone whose career revolves around making accurate predictions about the state of the economy warns against a disaster and when that view is shared among most economic experts from around the world, you listen to what they have to say. They know more than any of us and it's nothing but arrogance to brush their warnings aside because it's not something you want to hear. Are the government in on it too? Is the Yellowhammer report just part of 'Project Fear' too?

Everything that's come to pass so far has been predicted since 2016. Our economy is lurching every time No Deal becomes more of a possibility every expert is pretty much warning against the same thing. I like to live in the real world, I like to know what's coming so I can try to prepare for it, this isn't the work of biased media, all the 'doom and gloom' predictions will come to pass and no amount of hoping the grass is greener on the other side will change that.

The only way we'll make it through Brexit without triggering another recessions or worse, is by going with a deal and even that has it's own pitfalls considering the border situation.
I have read the analysts predictions for remaining, and the analysts case for leaving. They all claim to be experts, yet both sides sound convincing and plausible. Who is right and who is wrong? I think it all might fall in the middle.

I make a point of reading a wide variety of newspapers (not the out and out tabloids though!) and watching a wide variety of programmes. If you just read papers that align with your views you won't get any balance, and it appears you just read the doom merchants take on it all.
That's why I am not strongly on one side or the other, more like 'wait and see'.
Whatever will happen will happen and all the hand wringing in the world won't change a thing.

Last edited by jet; 05-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 PM #2731

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
Really? Why are you lying? It was only a few pages back, in this very thread
Let's refresh your memory
That does not mean I thought Ireland was owned by the UK ,I said it was part of the UK as I view Scotland and Wales to be PART of the UK not OWNED by the UK, that was all I meant , but carry on trying to put people down,you're very good at it, must be annoying that some of us don't give a **** what you think though,.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"

Last edited by Kazanne; 05-10-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 PM #2732
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I have read the analysts predictions for remaining, and the analysts predictions for leaving. They all claim to be experts, yet both sides sound convincing and plausible. Who is right and who is wrong? I think it all might fall in the middle.

I make a point of reading a wide variety of newspapers (not the out and out tabloids though!) and watching a wide variety of programmes. If you just read papers that align with your views you won't get any balance, and it appears you just read the doom merchants take on it all.
That's why I am not strongly on one side or the other, more like 'wait and see'.
Whatever will happen will happen and all the hand wringing in the world won't change a thing.
You assume that I think the way I do because I have a confirmation bias which is just not realistic. I don't have any kind of allegiance to one news source or the other. The reason why I hold analytical view points in high esteem is because there's so many all over the world that are saying the same thing and when that view is reinforced by the Yellowhammer report and so far, they have no been wrong once.

I'm certainly not wringing my hands, my viewpoint has always been the same, you can't run from reality and hoping for the best without preparing for the worst is pointless.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 PM #2733
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
That does not mean I thought Ireland was owned by the UK ,I said it was part of the UK as I view Scotland and Wales to be PART of the UK not OWNED by the UK, that was all I meant , but carry on trying to put people down,you're very good at it, must be annoying that some of us don't give a **** what you think though,.
When a territory is part of a country it is owned by that country.

I dont care what you think about me, dear. I just care about facts in a discussion I'm a part of. If you carry on spreading falsehoods I will carry on correcting you. Nothing personal
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:04 PM #2734

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I dont care what you think about me, dear. I just care about facts in a discussion I'm a part of. If you carry on spreading falsehoods I will carry on correcting you. Nothing personal
Don't call me dear, I am not

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:08 PM #2735
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
So your still in school.My apolgagies..I thought you were an adult.Sorry

out of interest ..what is the class you sit in to learn genders?
Where is your argument going here?

You wondered why the people of the UK didn't know about Ireland, and I give you a suggestion as to why it might be.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM #2736
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:

It is.
Scotland Wales and N Ireland have assemblies but are still governed and controlled more fully by the UK and its government.

The Republic of Ireland, obviously, as it should be clear to all on these shores, is NOT part of the UK.
Therefore neither owned or governed by the UK and the UK government.

I'm pretty sure the great Republic of Ireland is really glad of that fact too.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM #2737

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
How dare you align my attitudes in any way to the UVF! Any time I have been discussing the Troubles on here it is mainly in reference to Corbyn's involvement to the IRA.
If he had been on the side of the UVF I would have been referring to those murderous pigs instead, but he wasn't.
I have many times past and present denounced ALL terrorism.
You see Jet ...I have being living in Ireland since 1999...now a proud Irish citizen.

no matter what side you come from I'm sure we can agree..Corbyn is irrelevant.

He is a pathetic man who played no part in the peace process.

I stand by my word ...you consitley critizice the Irish ..never the British for their part,,

So yeah I guess I do dare...show me a post where you called out a massacre carried by the British here in Ireland
Old 05-10-2019, 03:24 PM #2738

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well excuse us for caring and protesting when the country is about to be wrecked!
We should just roll over right? And you claim to care about the irish peace process? Dont make me laugh! The best deal for the UK and peace in ireland is no brexit at all
Did you miss the word 'personally' in my post. Good debating skills require good comprehension abilities. Being continually misrepresented is another reason I don't personally want to get into discussions about Brexit.
Living in N.Ireland,I care deeply about the peace process, unlike some, who pretend to care to bolster their arguments.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:25 PM #2739

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Where is your argument going here?

You wondered why the people of the UK didn't know about Ireland, and I give you a suggestion as to why it might be.
Not an argument.I would never do that with a child.

You didn't give me a suggestion..you told me you were learning about genders in school.

We will end this now as I don't feel comfortable talking to a child of school going age
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM #2740
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Not an argument.I would never do that with a child.

You didn't give me a suggestion..you told me you were learning about genders in school.

We will end this now as I don't feel comfortable talking to a child of school going age
Are you taking the Mick?
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM #2741

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Gosh, nobody knew the above until you told us, it's not like its been rammed down our throats ad infinitum 24 hours a day

the point I am making is if you want to someone to come round to your way of thinking, abusing them is not going to make them in any way amenable,

gammon, remoaner, bigot, racist, undemocratic, stupid, deluded ect ect what's the point in trotting out these insults, and then expecting the other side to nod along with what you are saying, the problem we have here is people take a childish delight in slinging out as many insults as they can to describe the people on the opposing side, then they expect that side to actually listen to what they are saying....incredible! and then have the nerve to call people stupid
Old 05-10-2019, 03:38 PM #2742
-

-

Quote:
I have read the analysts predictions for remaining, and the analysts case for leaving. They all claim to be experts, yet both sides sound convincing and plausible. Who is right and who is wrong? I think it all might fall in the middle.
If you have genuinely read any analysts predicting good things about a no-deal Brexit then by all means PLEASE post them here, because it's starting to become a very real - and very scary - prospect and we could all do with some reassurance.

If you haven't actually read any then stop giving people false hope .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 05-10-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 PM #2743

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
If you have genuinely read any analysts predicting good things about a no-deal Brexit then by all means PLEASE post them here, because it's starting to become a very real - and very scary - prospect and we could all do with some reassurance.

If you haven't actually read any then stop giving people false hope .
Stop playing the I'm so scared innocent TS. Several papers, eg the Times, give widespread balanced views as do many online articles. I'm sure you don't need me to do your research for you, you are one of the most informed people on here on a wide range of subjects. (no sarcasm invovled).
Old 05-10-2019, 04:06 PM #2744
-

-

Quote:
Stop playing the I'm so scared innocent TS. Several papers, eg the Times, give widespread balanced views as do many online articles. I'm sure you don't need me to do your research for you, you are one of the most informed people on here on a wide range of subjects. (no sarcasm invovled).
I do like to think I am Jet and I'm not being sarcastic or joking; I haven't seen any economic analysis of no-deal Brexit that shows it being anything but damaging. The range is from "Definite recession but manageable" to "huge economic shock with global knock-on effect". I genuinely haven't seen any that suggest a positive economic effect, or even anything approaching "negligible". I'm not talking about newspaper articles, those are spinning off in all directions, you said economic analysis so that's what I asked about. Fairly conservative estimates show that over time the likely impact on the UK could easily be 8 - 10% of GDP which is frankly huge.

I have done my research. I can't find any economic report (NOT article) that in any way shows anything promising. I'm not having a go, or keyboard-battling, the situation is immensely stressful and I'm worried about my own and my family's futures. So like I said if you really have seen economic analysis that is in any way reassuring, I'd want to see it, but yes I am very skeptical that it exists. The most level-headed reports from economists who have nothing to do with the UK or EU and no vested political interests are saying recession is inevitable. The only debate is over "how bad".

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 05-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:06 PM #2745

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You see Jet ...I have being living in Ireland since 1999...now a proud Irish citizen.

no matter what side you come from I'm sure we can agree..Corbyn is irrelevant.

He is a pathetic man who played no part in the peace process.

I stand by my word ...you consitley critizice the Irish ..never the British for their part,,

So yeah I guess I do dare...show me a post where you called out a massacre carried by the British here in Ireland
As the leader of the opposition Corbyn is unfortunately not irrelevant (btw if he cares about this country and no deal he should have stepped down.)

As for me constantly criticising the Irish, you are talking s......
Maybe you are mixing it up with me criticising the IRA.
It's up to you to prove I have in all these mythical posts. Good luck on your search.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM #2746
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM #2747

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I do like to think I am Jet and I'm not being sarcastic or joking; I haven't seen any economic analysis of no-deal Brexit that shows it being anything but damaging. The range is from "Definite recession but manageable" to "huge economic shock with global knock-on effect". I genuinely haven't seen any that suggest a positive economic effect, or even anything approaching "negligible". I'm not talking about newspaper articles, those are spinning off in all directions, you said economic analysis so that's what I asked about. Fairly conservative estimates show that over time the likely impact on the UK could easily be 8 - 10% of GDP which is frankly huge.

I have done my research. I can't find any economic report (NOT article) that in any way shows anything promising. I'm not having a go, or keyboard-battling, the situation is immensely stressful and I'm worried about my own and my family's futures. So like I said if you really have seen economic analysis that is in any way reassuring, I'd want to see it, but yes I am very skeptical that it exists. The most level-headed reports from economists who have nothing to do with the UK or EU and no vested political interests are saying recession is inevitable. The only debate is over "how bad".
There are a lot of articles by experts saying how dire things are going to be, that we face years of hardship and might never recover, our place in the world is damaged forever etc etc. Then other experts predict that there will be only very short term teething problems and in the long run we will prosper.

This is one I read recently:
https://www.finance-monthly.com/2017...act-of-brexit/

Your thoughts on it?

Last edited by jet; 05-10-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:39 PM #2748
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

The reignition of the Scottish independence movement.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:41 PM #2749

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Spurs got beat again.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:10 PM #2750
-

-

Quote:
There are a lot of articles by experts saying how dire things are going to be, that we face years of hardship and might never recover, our place in the world is damaged forever etc etc. Then other experts predict that there will be only very short term teething problems and in the long run we will prosper.

This is one I read recently:
https://www.finance-monthly.com/2017...act-of-brexit/

Your thoughts on it?
I mean... for a start, the article is from 2017 and the entire premise on it is based on trying to predict "what the terms are of the deal we secure with the EU". Two years ago a deal was very much still expected and now it's looking impossible so that immediately makes the article less relevant to the current situation. Secondly, the focus is on the long-term prospects which really apply more to business and the wealthy who can afford to "ride the waves". The short-term impact is looking to be a disaster for the middle and working classes, i.e., "normal people with normal lives".

The current situation is unprecedented. I wasn't particularly worried in 2017. I thought Brexit was a mistake but fully expected there to be a trade deal in place by the point of exit - just one that would be a bit of a drag on the economy. I am extremely worried right now. I don't trust that the current government is "prepared" for no-deal in the slightest and I think it's going to happen. I think there will be very noticeable immediate food and medicine shortages. I know that jobs will be lost. I think people and families will end up in debt/poverty spirals. I think lives will be ruined.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
approved, asked, boris, parliment, queen, suspend