Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:53 PM #1
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Default The Watch - TV adaption of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books!

I've been looking forward to/hoping for a series of the Watch books for well over ten years, and now it's in development ... and it's gonna suck

They've taken such liberties with most of the characters they may as well have just invented their own show. It's just soo disappointing.

Quote:
Richard Dormer stars as Sam Vimes, Captain of The Watch, disempowered by a broken society that’s reduced his department’s jurisdiction to almost nothing.
Yeah sure. That's not too far from the books, I guess. When he's just the Night Watch Captain anyway.

Quote:
Jo Eaton-Kent is Constable Cheery, the ingenious non-binary forensics expert, ostracized by their kin and finding a new home and identity.
Um, no. Cheery isn't nonbinary - the whole point of her character is that she's a female, and proudly so! The first openly female dwarf! Obviously it's fine that she's being played by a man, as all dwarfs look male, but he's really tall. Unless he's just providing the voice for a CGI character, is he even playing her as a dwarf?

Quote:
Adam Hugill plays Constable Carrot, the idealistic new recruit, raised by dwarfs, but really a human abandoned at birth.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Marama Corlette is the mysterious Corporal Angua who is tasked with Carrot’s training and keeping the rookie alive.
Um, no. Carrot was the one who trained Angua! She was basically smirking behind her hands while the Sergeant was trying to train the new recruits and making fun of him to his face, but she was also more than capable of taking care of herself. Also, she was a werewolf! Why wasn't this mentioned?

Quote:
Lara Rossi plays the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility, who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism.
BIG NO! Lady Sybil is a kind-hearted woman who only notices what's going on outside her dragon barn when she's attending the various "High Society" events. She has a big social conscience, but uses the influence she has among the other toffs, rather than being a "chaotic vigilante" ...

Quote:
Sam Adewunmi is the wounded and wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality.
No! Carcer is meant to be a broken person, an unhinged psycho. He's not been "wronged" by society, the only wrong society has done when it comes to him is letting him constantly evade justice.

Quote:
Set in the fictional city of Ankh-Morpork, where crime has been legalized
Ish. Assassins and thieves have their own Guilds, but outright murder and muggery are still illegal.

Just ... urgh

http://narrativia.com/watch.html

Last edited by Oliver_W; 11-10-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:52 AM #2

So its on BBCAmerica First.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM #3
-

-

It's been a long time since I read any of the books (my teens) but yeah... it doesn't sound quite right .

I mean, Angua being a werewolf (and using her werewolf abilities in her job) was sort of a main plot point of the character. Though they might be keeping it out of the blurbs so that it's a surprise / "twist" for people who don't know the books?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM #4
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I mean, Angua being a werewolf (and using her werewolf abilities in her job) was sort of a main plot point of the character. Though they might be keeping it out of the blurbs so that it's a surprise / "twist" for people who don't know the books?
Hmm, maybe. It was a semi-surprise because of the bait-and-switch: Sergeat Colon was annoyed they hired "a w-" and we're meant to think he was gonna say "woman", but it turned out to be "werewolf". well it might have been both, Colon was a bit old fashioned, but in-story it was werewolf.

The only fantasy element mentioned in the whole thing is that Carrot was raised by dwarfs, it it wasn't for that I'd wonder if it was set in modern times on Earth...

Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM #5
-

-

I'm not 100% sold on Dormer for Vimes either, but we'll see. I'm not sure his face looks jaded enough
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:42 PM #6
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm not 100% sold on Dormer for Vimes either, but we'll see. I'm not sure his face looks jaded enough
I've not seen Dormer in anything, but I like the look of him well enough.

I always pictured Vimes as looking like Pete Poselthwait, but with some scraggly hair remaining

Old 13-10-2019, 12:07 PM #7
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

With Lady Sybil being young instead of bordering middle age, my mum had a theory that this is for a "Night Watch" episode where Vimes is back in time. I'd be okay with that - when Vimes met her in the past she wasn't quite a vigilante, but was more trigger-happy.

For the adult Sybil I'd actually really like Octavio Spencer.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
adaption, books, discworld, pratchett, terry, tv, watch