Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-10-2019, 12:22 PM #26
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
According to LBC,this morning Britain is only responsible for 2% of climate change so we are doing something right, these people should target China and the like as if they and similar countries don't comply,what we are doing is absolutely useless, or maybe they could go and clear the beaches etc of rubbish and plastic,they would be sending out a message and doing some good,I think most of us know the planet is in a mess,but if some people don't give a ****,its pointless trying to save it, the planet would probably thrive better without us anyway.
Oh okay, we count for so little pollution we may as well just keep expanding until there's no green left and continue using toxic solutions to create energy. Got it.

Polluted areas cause more illnesses, especially among children and the elderly, so it's not just a global problem.

Last edited by Oliver_W; 13-10-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:26 PM #27
Banned

Banned

I'll always be bemused by parents that are apathetic or downright oppose any kind of environmental action. This is the world your children will inherit.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:28 PM #28
Sod orf

Sod orf

Just bored people with too much time on their hands and wanting to feel and look important.

People get bored of Peace time, that's why there will always be war.

Last edited by Alf; 13-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:37 PM #29

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Oh okay, we count for so little pollution we may as well just keep expanding until there's no green left and continue using toxic solutions to create energy. Got it.

Polluted areas cause more illnesses, especially among children and the elderly, so it's not just a global problem.
I didn't say that Oliver of course we have to keep doing our bit , we are at least trying unlike some countries who aren't , so no you haven't got it, I am all for saving the planet, but, other countries also have to do their bit, I never said we should be building everwhere and using toxic solutions,i don't know where you pulled that from tbh.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:40 PM #30
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I didn't say that Oliver of course we have to keep doing our bit , we are at least trying unlike some countries who aren't , so no you haven't got it, I am all for saving the planet, but, other countries also have to do their bit, I never said we should be building everwhere and using toxic solutions,i don't know where you pulled that from tbh.
For all their faults, Extinction Rebellion don't live in India or China. While I don't agree with their methods, they're doing what they think will make a difference in their own country.

Old 13-10-2019, 12:50 PM #31

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
For all their faults, Extinction Rebellion don't live in India or China. While I don't agree with their methods, they're doing what they think will make a difference in their own country.
I know they are, but it seems to be having a negative effect.

Old 13-10-2019, 12:54 PM #32
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That's literally the point my o/p was making

Old 13-10-2019, 01:04 PM #33
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
There were death cults around then too. Go look them up, you'll see a resemblance to the ones we see now.
You've been brainwashed by the fossil fuel industry and climate deniers but you dont even realise that
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 01:08 PM #34
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twosugars View Post
You've been brainwashed by the fossil fuel industry and climate deniers but you dont even realise that
Maybe, or maybe it's you who has?

Time will tell.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 01:09 PM #35
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Populations of the UK’s most important wildlife have plummeted by an average of 60% since 1970, according to the most comprehensive analysis to date.

The State of Nature report also found that the area inhabited by officially designated “priority species” has shrunk by 27%. The species are those deemed most important and threatened, and include hedgehogs, hares and bats, many birds such as the willow tit and the turtle dove, and insects such as the high brown fritillary butterfly.

The report finds the losses to all animals, plants and marine life show no sign of letting up, despite some successes in protecting individual species. It found that 41% of species have decreased in abundance, while just 26% have increased.

A quarter of UK mammals and nearly half of the birds assessed are at risk of extinction, according to the report, which was produced by a coalition of more than 70 wildlife organisations and government conservation agencies. When plants, insects and fungi are added, one in seven of the 8,400 UK species assessed are at risk of being completely lost, with 133 already gone since 1500.

The causes of the losses are the intensification of farming, pollution from fertiliser, manure and plastic, the destruction of habitats for houses, the climate crisis and invasive alien species. The State of Nature report shows no significant improvement since the last one in 2016, which said the UK was “among the most nature-depleted countries in the world”.The Guardian

If you paid attention you'd realize by their name this particular movement emphasizes the mass extinction we are living through
Britain's wildlife is dying

Last edited by Twosugars; 13-10-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 13-10-2019, 01:12 PM #36
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Maybe, or maybe it's you who has?

Time will tell.
The science is objective. Always stick to science, not the spin
Old 13-10-2019, 01:20 PM #37

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Thats the problem isn’t it, standing around hand wringing and expecting someone else to do something, while carrying on with business as usual, its up to every individual to look at their own habits and dial it back if they are really serious about helping the planet

Old 13-10-2019, 01:26 PM #38
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Clap away.

XR and other people will carry on and only get stronger no matter what a few pearl-clutchers on tibb say
This convo is a waste of time

Last edited by Twosugars; 13-10-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 13-10-2019, 01:28 PM #39
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Populations of the UK’s most important wildlife have plummeted by an average of 60% since 1970, according to the most comprehensive analysis to date.

The State of Nature report also found that the area inhabited by officially designated “priority species” has shrunk by 27%. The species are those deemed most important and threatened, and include hedgehogs, hares and bats, many birds such as the willow tit and the turtle dove, and insects such as the high brown fritillary butterfly.

The report finds the losses to all animals, plants and marine life show no sign of letting up, despite some successes in protecting individual species. It found that 41% of species have decreased in abundance, while just 26% have increased.

A quarter of UK mammals and nearly half of the birds assessed are at risk of extinction, according to the report, which was produced by a coalition of more than 70 wildlife organisations and government conservation agencies. When plants, insects and fungi are added, one in seven of the 8,400 UK species assessed are at risk of being completely lost, with 133 already gone since 1500.

The causes of the losses are the intensification of farming, pollution from fertiliser, manure and plastic, the destruction of habitats for houses, the climate crisis and invasive alien species. The State of Nature report shows no significant improvement since the last one in 2016, which said the UK was “among the most nature-depleted countries in the world”.The Guardian

If you paid attention you'd realize by their name this particular movement emphasizes the mass extinction we are living through
Exactly! This is the kind of stuff which worries me most at the moment - whether or not we make a big difference to the world is one thing; but we're certainly having a negative effect on our little section of the wider world.

Old 13-10-2019, 01:51 PM #40

If I ran such a group I would encourage governments to set up a worldwide fund for research and development into new technology that will combat climate change.

Last edited by James; 13-10-2019 at 01:51 PM.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 01:54 PM #41
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Clap away.

XR and other people will carry on and only get stronger no matter what a few pearl-clutchers on tibb say
This convo is a waste of time
Not sure you understand the term ‘pearl clutchers’ as you are the one who appears to be doing that, supporting a protest that is achieving nada, even one of the co-founders on the blog I posted yesterday acknowleged that climate change isn’t their primary aim

So pat away :

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 01:57 PM #42
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Not sure you understand the term ‘pearl clutchers’ as you are the one who appears to be doing that, supporting a protest that is achieving nada, even one of the co-founders on the blog I posted yesterday acknowleged that climate change isn’t their primary aim

So pat away :
You don't understand what 'pearl clutching' means if that's what you are leading with, Cherie.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 01:59 PM #43
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You don't understand what 'pearl clutching' means if that's what you are leading with, Cherie.
I believe I do...

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 13-10-2019, 02:02 PM #44

Quote:
Let's see what the Boomers say.

Climate kids, when pointing fingers, just remember. It was our generation that introduced re-cycling to keep up with the demand of consumption from your generation.

When we were kids the only fast food was the local chippy and it came wrapped in newspaper not a polystyrene case. Our energy drink was Lucozade and it came in a glass bottle that we would take back to the shop to re-cycle. We walked or biked to School or work and didn't ask mum or dad to drive us because it was raining and we didn't want to get wet.

We had hand me down clothes and used a payphone if we needed to make a call. We remember power cuts on a regular basis and played board games and read by candlelight. Our homes had single glazed windows that would ice up in winter and we shared our bedrooms that were so cold you could see your breath, with our brothers or sisters. We didn't have central heating.

Have you ever had to use somebody else's bath water after they have finished? We have.

We didn't have TVs in our bedrooms left on standby 24 hours a day or mobile devices that have to be charged if the battery drops below 80%.

Our holidays were in the UK in tents not in ibiza and we didn't get there by plane.

It is you that is the mass consumer that demands the latest phone, fashion, fast food, holidays and transportation. So point the finger of blame at yourselves, you self-indulgent, needy, greedy, ignorant, unapologetic, rude, selfish generation.
"Were" "did"

If you're not doing all that now it's useless bleating about bathing in dirty water.

As though today's youth are living in an electrical/throw-away world that YOU aren't a part of.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 02:03 PM #45
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Hand wringing? ... I dont understand the mocking tones and the refusal to acknowledge that this is bigger than a societal problem, this is a governmental issue whatever we do individually it will never be enough to prevent climate change.

There has to be energy industry changes, legislation to reduce pollution levels and prevent mass extinctions, a global effort.
This is what holds back progress, the 'I'm alright jack' attitude to the issue which denigrates anyone who challenges the status quo.

Can you not see the legions of doctors protesting because infant mortality is rising exponentially here due to air quality?
All we can do is protest for change, campaigning has not worked nobody listened.

We only contribute 2% to global pollution. .. this country is a thousand miles from one end to the other so proportionally on a global scale that is a MASSIVE amount, the commentators at LBC won't share that perspective though as we then look like China who have other priorities over the environment.

Hand wringing. .. pffft!
Old 13-10-2019, 02:16 PM #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Hand wringing? ... I dont understand the mocking tones and the refusal to acknowledge that this is bigger than a societal problem, this is a governmental issue whatever we do individually it will never be enough to prevent climate change.

There has to be energy industry changes, legislation to reduce pollution levels and prevent mass extinctions, a global effort.
This is what holds back progress, the 'I'm alright jack' attitude to the issue which denigrates anyone who challenges the status quo.

Can you not see the legions of doctors protesting because infant mortality is rising exponentially here due to air quality?
All we can do is protest for change, campaigning has not worked nobody listened.

We only contribute 2% to global pollution. .. this country is a thousand miles from one end to the other so proportionally on a global scale that is a MASSIVE amount, the commentators at LBC won't share that perspective though as we then look like China who have other priorities over the environment.

Hand wringing. .. pffft!
Old 13-10-2019, 02:19 PM #47
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:

It's really worrying.

I think the movement could tone down a little and ensure little disruption takes place when they're protesting.

Having said that, I won't condemn them and actually if I was where they were would even join in with the campaigning.

I admire their efforts..
.sadly some like to pay lip service to the worrying losses and dangers as listed in your post.
Then can only condemn those fighting against it and drawing attention to the issues.

Like this thread.
The group doing these protests have got people talking.
The list you have posted above..
The other issues they are highlighting too, getting raised and talked about.

So I applaud what they are doing.
Far more than I ever would those who may possibly prefer to moan at them and put down their efforts.
While adding some token lip service to the glaring dangers to come, if much more isn't done to deal with the issues being raised and highlighted.

Great post from you Twosugars.

Last edited by joeysteele; 13-10-2019 at 02:21 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 02:21 PM #48
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
It's really worrying.

I think the movement could tone down a little and ensure little disruption takes place when they're protesting.

Having said that, I won't condemn them and actually if I was where they were would even join in with the campaigning.

I admire their efforts..
.sadly some like to pay lip service to the worrying losses and dangers as listed in your post.
Then can only condemn those fighting against it and drawing attention to the issues.

Like this thread.
The group doing these protests have got people talking.
The list you have posted above..
The other issues they are highlighting too, getting raised and talked about.

So I applaud what they are doing.
Far more than I ever would those who may possibly prefer to moan at them and putbdown their efforts.
While adding some token lip service to the glaring dangers to come, if much more isn't done to deal with the issues being raised and highlighted.

Great post from you Twosugars.
very easy for you to say when you have been unaffected by their protests

Old 13-10-2019, 02:24 PM #49

Quote:
very easy for you to say when you have been unaffected by their protests
Very easy for you to say when you've not experienced the effects of climate change!
Old 13-10-2019, 02:25 PM #50
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Very easy for you to say when you've not experienced the effects of climate change!
I'm currently very hot

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
extinction, rebellion, similar