Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 PM #226
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Can I suggest vaping as a controversial treatment for cessation of smoking? Personally I feel in the future it will be looked upon as the most stupid idea since passing voltage through brains imo.
The topic of depression and addiction was glossed over a bit quickly, it's a very contemporary issue at the moment as stress leads very easily to crutches of many types as a coping mechanism. I'd go as far as to say these are passed down through families.

Last edited by Kizzy; 02-07-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 PM #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant. View Post
Redway I hope you don't mind me asking and I hope I don't seem ignorant (as I've not seen this thread), but can I ask how you're informing people? Like is it information from online? Textbooks? Are you a medical professional? I'm just curious because you're not putting sources and you seem to know what you're on about
Let's just say I've got enough experience and understanding to answer your questions on what you want to know.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 PM #228
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Let's just say I've got enough experience and understanding to answer your questions on what you want to know.
So you been thought the system
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 PM #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael21 View Post
So you been thought the system
There’s people opening up about their expressions with depression and suicide on this thread and you’re here trolling. No one’s giving you the reaction you want so you might as well drop it.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 PM #230

This thread’s for people who want to make active contributions.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 PM #231
User banned

User banned

[QUOTE=Redway;10613912]There’s people opening up about their expressions with depression and suicide on this thread and you’re here trolling. No one’s giving you the reaction you want so you might as well drop it.[/QUOTE

I not made any jokes in this thread it should be open for all to post do you agree

Last edited by michael21; 02-07-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM #232

That’s nice.

Last edited by Redway; 02-07-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:17 PM #233

I've recently been put back on medication and referred to the hospital for counselling/CBT sessions after years of being med and panic attack free so I'll contribute my upcoming experiences with it all if I remember.

Always here to talk also if anyone needs, I'm a bit of an axniety/depression expert now sadly.
LaLaLand is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 PM #234
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLand View Post
I've recently been put back on medication and referred to the hospital for counselling/CBT sessions after years of being med and panic attack free so I'll contribute my upcoming experiences with it all if I remember.

Always here to talk also if anyone needs, I'm a bit of an axniety/depression expert now sadly.
At least the help there for you stay strong
Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 PM #235

Quote:

Is panic disorder your diagnosis?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 PM #236

Quote:
Is panic disorder your diagnosis?
Yes. Almost daily severe physical panic attacks mixed in [now] with depression and also a bout of ME so I've been having a whale of a time lately!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 PM #237
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Yes. Almost daily severe physical panic attacks mixed in [now] with depression and also a bout of ME so I've been having a whale of a time lately!
I hand you over to redway
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 PM #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael21 View Post
At least the help there for you stay strong
Thanks mate!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM #239

Quote:
Trust me when I say I know how scary panic attacks are so you’re not alone. Do you get agoraphobia with it as well?

CBT and SSRIs are your best bet for beating panic attacks but you might need something else on top of that if your daily movements are restricted a lot.

Last edited by Redway; 02-07-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 PM #240
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Can I suggest vaping as a controversial treatment for cessation of smoking? Personally I feel in the future it will be looked upon as the most stupid idea since passing voltage through brains imo.
The topic of depression and addiction was glossed over a bit quickly, it's a very contemporary issue at the moment as stress leads very easily to crutches of many types as a coping mechanism. I'd go as far as to say these are passed down through families.
Idk how vaping is marketed but I always thought of it as a stage, like nicotine gums or patches. It is a step in the right direction as it does away with non nicotine carcinogens. But it is not doing away with nicotine addiction as such. That should follow next

Also passing voltage through the brain is not as stupid as it may sound. After all neuronal conductivity is largely electrical. I'd expect this treatment to continue in more refined and targeted way in future.

Last edited by Twosugars; 02-07-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 PM #241
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Trust me when I say I know how scary panic attacks are so you’re not alone. Do you get agoraphobia with it as well?

CBT and SSRIs are your best bet for beating panic attacks but you might need something else on top of that if your daily movements are restricted a lot.
Good to see you opening up tell more I try and help if I can
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 PM #242

Quote:
Trust me when I say I know how scary panic attacks are so I feel you on that. Do you get agoraphobia with it as well?

Yeah they're awful, started having them when I was about 17 and I'm now 29 so it's been a long time but after about 2/3 years of nothing at all a traumatic time earlier this year brought them back and 10x worse physically.

I had CBT sessions back in the day after I was originally diagnosed and after a few rounds and different techniques I was able to manage, but I've forgotten everything through lack of need from those which is why I'm going back mainly.

Agoraphobia kind of yeah when I have bad spells just purely to do with "what if I have a PA when I'm out and about" you know? But most of the time I just have no ambition/want/energy to go anywhere or see anyone. "Not in the mood".

Last edited by LaLaLand; 02-07-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 AM #243
-

-

Quote:

Redway not to put a debbie downer on the thread but I'm a bit uncomfortable with (and to be honest, the site should be uncomfortable with) you giving out mental health advice with the vague / veiled intimation that you're a mental health professional, as I'm pretty sure you aren't one (as you consistently brush aside or give vague responses when people ask).

There's nothing wrong with giving personal mental health advice, obviously, but you need to be really clear that that's what it is if you're NOT a qualified, certified MH professional. Posing as one and giving authoritative advice puts yourself and the site in a dubious position.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:14 PM #244

I suffered with panic attacks for years (brought on by my own actions and life choices ) - crippling attacks that left me feeling the only safe place was home. I lost count of the number of times I bolted from wherever I was to get home being unable to breathe and convinced this time I would actually die. I had various medications to treat the symptoms and underlying issues but the best advice that worked for me was when a Dr told me to welcome the attack, recognise it for what it was and sort of repeat "this will not kill me" and I honestly can say it worked for me. It took time for me to get it and recognise when an attack was coming and I could then stop it before it got a grip.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:36 PM #245
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I suffered with panic attacks for years (brought on by my own actions and life choices ) - crippling attacks that left me feeling the only safe place was home. I lost count of the number of times I bolted from wherever I was to get home being unable to breathe and convinced this time I would actually die. I had various medications to treat the symptoms and underlying issues but the best advice that worked for me was when a Dr told me to welcome the attack, recognise it for what it was and sort of repeat "this will not kill me" and I honestly can say it worked for me. It took time for me to get it and recognise when an attack was coming and I could then stop it before it got a grip.
Twosugars is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:22 PM #246
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
a Dr told me to welcome the attack, recognise it for what it was and sort of repeat "this will not kill me" and I honestly can say it worked for me. It took time for me to get it and recognise when an attack was coming and I could then stop it before it got a grip.
I'd say that sounds like he was introducing the basics of CBT, which is about disrupting cognitive distortions (and a panic attack is essentially an out of control cognitive distortion), correcting the thinking, and putting it aside. A lot more complicated than that obviously but even the very basics would probably help many people.

I don't think I've ever had a full blown panic attack. I have suffered with generalised anxiety and TWICE I thought I was on the verge of a panic attack when coming out of the cinema - pounding / racing heart that I couldn't get under control, feeling spaced out and lightheaded, sweating - thought it was maybe about being overwhelmed in the movie...

...have since realised that it happens because I get a massive bucket of fizzy / sour pick 'n' mix and large drink... and tango ice blast... every time I go to the cinema and binge it in the first hour of the movie, so when I get up to leave, I'm in the midst of a catestrophic sugar crash .

I worked out that I was consuming nearly half a kilogram of sugar in an hour. HALF A KILOGRAM! An actual half bag of pure sugar . Me: "Wow why do I feel so weird..."
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 04:53 PM #247
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

alongside what you already know about my autism

i also have anxiety, stress problems, for example i easily stress into thinking what other people think of me or my opinions, favourites etc

and also some anger management issues, if something isn't going my way i'll freak out real easily, and i can say some really nasty mean, sometimes quite racist things

reason why i am opening up about this now, i don't want to pretend to be someone i'm not, just being the real me, and because some have been quite irritated by me recently

also when i got obsessions i tend to have more anxiety, anger issues

i love this forum, i like most of its members in here, i just don't want you guys to think i'm some attention seeking troll or a random weirdo

opening up about this puts some weight of my shoulders i guess

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 05:03 PM #248
The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
alongside what you already know about my autism

i also have anxiety, stress problems, for example i easily stress into thinking what other people think of me or my opinions, favourites etc

and also some anger management issues, if something isn't going my way i'll freak out real easily, and i can say some really nasty mean, sometimes quite racist things

reason why i am opening up about this now, i don't want to pretend to be someone i'm not, just being the real me, and because some have been quite irritated by me recently

also when i got obsessions i tend to have more anxiety, anger issues

i love this forum, i like most of its members in here, i just don't want you guys to think i'm some attention seeking troll or a random weirdo

opening up about this puts some weight of my shoulders i guess
No, the reason you’re opening up now is because I screenshotted your racist messages to me and you want to gain more sympathy, you can’t blame your prejudice on anger management...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
And if not, maybe try your hand at being an author for Mills & Boon.
He/him
Mitchell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 05:06 PM #249
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
No, the reason you’re opening up now is because I screenshotted your racist messages to me and you want to gain more sympathy, you can’t blame your prejudice on anger management...
no really i didn't do it because of that

if i was to be banned, so be it, but i want to be straightforward about who i am, what my problems are, for people to understand me better

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 05:09 PM #250

Not autism making you racist.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
health or controversial, mental, treatments