Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 17-10-2019, 02:11 PM #51
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
As Dezzy says; it's all wonderful trash honestly.

That said, I'm not the biggest fan of Supergirl... I like Kara herself, but I think it has the weakest supporting characters to be honest. Supergirl is at her best in the yearly crossovers .

Both Flash and Arrow have some weaker seasons (The Flash writers clearly didn't know what to do with his abilities for a while when he got "up to speed", so to speak, so were constantly nerfing him). Arrow started off slightly too brutal, then went too far the other way (lots of arrows hitting guns out of people's hands) but found a balance in the last few seasons - less killing poor random henchmen for no reason like in S1 , but still realistically injuring (and occasional deaths). It's on its final season now though.

Legends... the first season isn't great but at this point it may be my fav CW DC show. Because it KNOWS it's wonderful trash and just runs with it. I mean... it had Biff from Back To The Future as a main character's dad ffs. And he even made the "Make like a tree" joke .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The Arrowverse is quite fun but you have to go into it knowing that it's junkfood TV. Supergirl and Batwoman are part of that as are Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. In order to get the most out of one of those shows, you kinda have to watch all of them since every season they do a week long crossover event and there's little bits here and there that you may miss by not keeping up with all four shows.

If you're gonna watch those shows and you wanna keep in line with each show properly then this is a rough way to watch them

- Watch Season 1 and 2 of Arrow
- Watch Season 3 of Arrow alongside Season 1 of Flash
- Watch Season 4 of Arrow, Season 2 of Flash, Season 1 of Supergirl.
- Watch Season 5 of Arrow, Season 3 of Flash, Season 2 of Supergirl and Season 1 of Legends of Tomorrow.
-Carry on until this year's seasons in which you'll add Batwoman to the list.

There's also a show called Black Lightning but it doesn't take place in the same world although it will have a part in this year's crossover.

Is it worth it to watch them all? Certain seasons are excellent, Season 2 of Arrow for example is damn near perfect, Season 1 of The Flash is both wonderfully magical while simultaneously making you cry ugly tears, Supergirl Season 4 starts off a bit heavy handed but becomes great as it goes on and Legends of Tomorrow is just wacky ridiculous from Season 2 onwards. There's at least one bad season in each show though (Two of an half for Arrow, two for Flash, one and a half for Supergirl and the first season of Legends is difficult to get through).

If you love trash easy-to-watch TV, you'll probably burn through it but if you can't get past the fact that the scripts are never great and the performances are your typical teen drama-esque calibre then you'll hate it.
Cool, thanks both I screenshotted the watching order so I wouldn't lose it 8-)

To me Green Arrow is just "Black Canary's boyfriend", I know next to nothing about him which doesn't come up along with her in the comics. I even thought he might be a renegade Lantern at first, with having "Green" in his name. Ironic really as Dinah joined the Corps!

But yeah thanks, I smell a CW marathon coming on

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 03:36 PM #52
-

-

Be aware that S1 arrow is quite different to the entire rest of the DCTV universe. They went for a grittier "Nolan Batman" style take on things but really his murderous rampage is not justifiable hero-stuff . Though to be fair, I think they do a good job in-story later of explaining his psychology when he started out as a vigilante (and also why he later commits to a "only when there's no choice" philosophy over a "lol arrow for YOU arrow for YOU arrow for YOU too!" attitude)
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 04:40 PM #53
-

-

Forgot to mention that the CW's version of Crisis on Infinite Earths is this year and I'm so here for it .

Apparently, Brandon Routh (Ray Palmer/Atom in Legends) will ALSO be playing his version of Superman (from Superman Returns) and I've also heard Tom Welling is making an appearance . So including the Superman from Supergirl, there will potentially be a 3-superman team up.

It's also just awesome to have Smallville be a canon alternate reality in the CW DC.
Old 18-10-2019, 07:47 PM #54
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Forgot to mention that the CW's version of Crisis on Infinite Earths is this year and I'm so here for it .

Apparently, Brandon Routh (Ray Palmer/Atom in Legends) will ALSO be playing his version of Superman (from Superman Returns) and I've also heard Tom Welling is making an appearance . So including the Superman from Supergirl, there will potentially be a 3-superman team up.

It's also just awesome to have Smallville be a canon alternate reality in the CW DC.
That's pretty cool It also shows I have some catching up to do - I didn't even realise Atom was in any of the adaptions There was a cool bit in a zombie storyline where he became super small (obvs) and entered a bloodstream to study the virus

Old 18-10-2019, 08:11 PM #55
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
That's pretty cool It also shows I have some catching up to do - I didn't even realise Atom was in any of the adaptions There was a cool bit in a zombie storyline where he became super small (obvs) and entered a bloodstream to study the virus
He's been around for quite a while, maybe longer than Flash I think? He was introduced in Arrow and then moved over to Legends. I'm pretty sure there are some drole Superman jokes scattered around in Legends already . Interesting to have them fully acknowledge Routh's Superman as someone who literally exists.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:25 PM #56
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

I'm really enjoying Arrow so far!
but
Spoiler:

it's odd how Ollie is dating Huntress instead of Black Canary

Old 20-10-2019, 09:21 PM #57
-

-

Quote:
I'm really enjoying Arrow so far!
but
Spoiler:

it's odd how Ollie is dating Huntress instead of Black Canary
Is he? I obviously don't remember the first few seasons very well
Old 20-10-2019, 09:27 PM #58
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Is he? I obviously don't remember the first few seasons very well
oop, not anymore

Old 22-10-2019, 12:02 PM #59
-

-

NGL to you Oliver, you should be prepared for a tonal shift in Arrow mid-S3

Minor(ish since you know the other shows exist) spoiler:

Spoiler:

Arrow was originally going for semi-realism, it wanted to distinguish itself from Smallville by not being about super-powers / sci-fantasy but they obviously changed direction, Barry Allen (pre-Flash) gets a backdoor pilot mid S3 and then from S4 onwards, after The Flash itself started airing, Arrow is obviously part of the same universe with Metahumans, mystical stuff, eventually Multiverse etc. but that obviously changes the overall direction of the show.

Being fair though, stick with it, because while it sort of fumbled a bit trying to make that change initially, it allowed for some of the peak Arrow stuff IMO (Ra's Al Ghul storyline) which wouldn't have been possible without it becoming more... comic-y.
Old 22-10-2019, 02:25 PM #60
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
NGL to you Oliver, you should be prepared for a tonal shift in Arrow mid-S3

Minor(ish since you know the other shows exist) spoiler:

Spoiler:

Arrow was originally going for semi-realism, it wanted to distinguish itself from Smallville by not being about super-powers / sci-fantasy but they obviously changed direction, Barry Allen (pre-Flash) gets a backdoor pilot mid S3 and then from S4 onwards, after The Flash itself started airing, Arrow is obviously part of the same universe with Metahumans, mystical stuff, eventually Multiverse etc. but that obviously changes the overall direction of the show.

Being fair though, stick with it, because while it sort of fumbled a bit trying to make that change initially, it allowed for some of the peak Arrow stuff IMO (Ra's Al Ghul storyline) which wouldn't have been possible without it becoming more... comic-y.
Heh, I won't be too bothered by the change, my "current" Arrow is probably the most serious thing I current watch regularly
Plus as a fan of DC comics, I had an idea things would move in that direction based on some of the episode titles.

Old 30-10-2019, 12:22 PM #61
-

-

In terms of the whole "Crisis" storyline...

Spoiler:

Is it seeming far too obvious? We know Arrow is ending after Crisis... we know Flash is not ending. Flash supposedly disappears in Crisis never to return and it's the only way to save the multiverse - but he obviously doesn't. We've also seen loads of flash-forward sequences in Arrow, where Oliver Queen has been missing for a long time. So... Green Arrow takes Flash's place in doing whatever "needed to be done" to avert Crisis. Surely? They're making it easier to predict than ever though
Old 30-10-2019, 12:28 PM #62
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

those crossovers are annoying

btw as for latest supergirl ep

Spoiler:

more and more signs of the producers turning Lena into a villain, j'onn's brother now locked up in her lab

it was last episode of Jimmy olsen, as mehcad indeed departed the series

and William's plan is revealed, working as undercover to learn more about Andrea Rojas and her business, family etc

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:41 PM #63
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
those crossovers are annoying
They're some of the best episodes of each show. Benefits of a combined budget, I suppose.
Old 30-10-2019, 12:55 PM #64
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Could Arrow continue but with Speedy? Where I am now Olly has recruited the guy I know from the comics becomes Speedy, so I'm guessing he will down the line?
Though Speedy is a silly name and sounds Flash-adjacent, so he'll probably go straight to being Arsenal.

I like that Canary was in a clock tower, when she's a member of Birds of Prey in the comics they're based in a clock tower <3

Old 30-10-2019, 01:06 PM #65
-

-

Quote:
Could Arrow continue but with Speedy? Where I am now Olly has recruited the guy I know from the comics becomes Speedy, so I'm guessing he will down the line?
Though Speedy is a silly name and sounds Flash-adjacent, so he'll probably go straight to being Arsenal.

I like that Canary was in a clock tower, when she's a member of Birds of Prey in the comics they're based in a clock tower <3
It's been confirmed to be ending, though because of the show being a "universe" that obviously doesn't necessarily mean "the end" as characters can always show up in other shows, as either recurring guests or regulars (and have already, e.g. most of the original Legends line-up came from Arrow and Flash, and there has been a fair amount of villain crossover too).

Minor spoiler you are correct that Roy goes straight to Arsenal . However... another minor one...

Spoiler:

There is ALSO a "Speedy", just not Roy

Slightly bigger spoiler

[spoiler]They have also been flash-forwarding to a whole new Team Arrow 20 years in the future for this season and the previous one, with the descendants of some of the main cast (and a few aged-up series regulars thrown in). If they were to do another Arrow spin-off, I could see it being a backdoor pilot... but I'm not sure they'll want more than 4 DC shows running concurrently, there's only 5 right now because Arrow is getting a half-season (to end with Crisis, clearly).

I have also just found out from checking air dates that the Crisis storyline is actually 5-part not 3-part . It's 3 part across Flash, Supergirl and Batwoman in December, then another two-parter with the Legends season premier and Arrow in January. Then it looks like there are two more "untitled" Arrow episodes wrapping up.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:05 PM #66
Banned

Banned

CW are working on two more shows, a spinoff for Arrow called 'Green Arrow and the Canaries' and a Superman and Lois series.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 02:11 PM #67
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
CW are working on two more shows, a spinoff for Arrow called 'Green Arrow and the Canaries' and a Superman and Lois series.
I heard about the Superman and Lois show, looking forward to that I wonder if they're gonna have Jon.
I hadn't heard about the other one though! I wish there'd be a Birds of Prey show, especially if it was like Gail Simone's version. I've seen Canary and Huntress, but has there been a Babs anywhere in the Arrowverse?

Old 30-10-2019, 02:14 PM #68
-

-

Quote:
Ahh I knew the 2040 stuff felt like a back-door pilot . I'd guess
Spoiler:

Mia Smoak gets transported to 2020 when everything hits the fan in Crisis? Actually my new theory, then, is that Oliver Queen doesn't die but somehow swaps places with Mia: She ends up in 2020 as the new Green Arrow, he ends up living out his life in 2040 onwards... thus, missing in action for 20 years.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:21 PM #69
-

-

Quote:
I heard about the Superman and Lois show, looking forward to that I wonder if they're gonna have Jon.
I hadn't heard about the other one though! I wish there'd be a Birds of Prey show, especially if it was like Gail Simone's version. I've seen Canary and Huntress, but has there been a Babs anywhere in the Arrowverse?
There have been multiple Canaries

Spoiler:

Sarah Lance, Laurel Lance, Dinah Drake, Laurel Lance 2.0... maybe others I can't remember...

But anything Gotham/Batman related was "off limits" until very recently for licensing reasons I believe. When that expired they had a throwaway line in Arrow where I think Oliver scoffed about "the guy in the bat suit in Gotham", establishing Batman as existing, and now obviously there is a full Gotham in Arrowverse and they've made a point of repeatedly mentioning Gotham in passing having never mentioned it before .

But up until the 2018 season, Batman stuff including most side characters and villains have been off limits, other than vague references. Superman was also until Supergirl moved over to CW, which is why Supergirl stuff all happens on "Earth-S" not "Earth-1" - they don't meet until Barry figures out using the speedforce to hop between realities. Though I strongly suspect Earth-S and Earth 1 might merge in Crisis .

[edit]Earth-S, not Earth-X. Earth-X was the one that was full of nazis

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:33 PM #70
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Spoiler:

Mia Smoak gets transported to 2020 when everything hits the fan in Crisis? Actually my new theory, then, is that Oliver Queen doesn't die but somehow swaps places with Mia: She ends up in 2020 as the new Green Arrow, he ends up living out his life in 2040 onwards... thus, missing in action for 20 years.
Spoiler:

Crisis will end up with all the shows that are on different earths and times into one world and timeline, I bet. Supergirl will be on Earth 1 etc so they don't have to faff about with the multiverse anymore unless they need to. Apparently there's been pictures released of Mia during the crossover so I'd assume you're correct. Mia, Dinah and Laurel will probably front the spinoff.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:34 PM #71
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Minor spoiler you are correct that Roy goes straight to Arsenal . However... another minor one...

Spoiler:

There is ALSO a "Speedy", just not Roy

OHHH of course! He sometimes calls her that as a nickname, but it didn't click because comics Speedy is Roy Olly's girl sidekick is usually Red Arrow.

Quote:
There have been multiple Canaries

Spoiler:

Sarah Lance, Laurel Lance, Dinah Drake, Laurel Lance 2.0... maybe others I can't remember...

But anything Gotham/Batman related was "off limits" until very recently for licensing reasons I believe. When that expired they had a throwaway line in Arrow where I think Oliver scoffed about "the guy in the bat suit in Gotham", establishing Batman as existing, and now obviously there is a full Gotham in Arrowverse and they've made a point of repeatedly mentioning Gotham in passing having never mentioned it before .

But up until the 2018 season, Batman stuff including most side characters and villains have been off limits, other than vague references. Superman was also until Supergirl moved over to CW, which is why Supergirl stuff all happens on "Earth-S" not "Earth-1" - they don't meet until Barry figures out using the speedforce to hop between realities. Though I strongly suspect Earth-S and Earth 1 might merge in Crisis .

[edit]Earth-S, not Earth-X. Earth-X was the one that was full of nazis
I find it interesting how they "mix and match" with the Canaries, as the "main" comics Black Canary is Dinah Lance
[Quote]she's Olly's long term girlfriend, and becomes a Green Lantern! [/SPOILER]

Old 30-10-2019, 02:36 PM #72
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It sounds like they will, they've said that the show will be focused more on Superman and Lois' home life so I imagine they've taken a lot of inspiration from the rebirth comics in which Clark and Lois are balancing family life with superhero antics.

I don't think they'd do a Birds of Prey show since the film is coming out, they couldn't use Suicide Squad anymore when the first film came out so I'm guessing the Birds are off the table.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:37 PM #73
-

-

Quote:
OHHH of course! He sometimes calls her that as a nickname, but it didn't click because comics Speedy is Roy Olly's girl sidekick is usually Red Arrow.

I find it interesting how they "mix and match" with the Canaries, as the "main" comics Black Canary is Dinah Lance
Spoiler:

she's Olly's long term girlfriend, and becomes a Green Lantern!
There is a Dinah Lance in Arrow... Sarah and Laurel's late mother, who had nothing to do with the canaries or any form of crime fighting (other than being married to a cop ). They do like to make it complicated.

Also I'm pretty sure neither Sarah nor Laurel have even mentioned in passing that Dinah Drake has the same name as their mum . You'd think it would warrant a "Oh, that was my mothers name" or something.

.... ....... ... ... save Marthaaaaa... etc.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 30-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:40 PM #74
-

-

Quote:
they couldn't use Suicide Squad anymore when the first film came out so I'm guessing the Birds are off the table.
It really says a lot that CW's Deadshot was a better-developed character than Will Smithshot, too.
Old 31-10-2019, 12:35 AM #75
-

-

Quote:
Spoiler:

Oh lelz

Spoiler:

Just watched the most recent episode and it has indeed ended with Mia & Friendz being zapped back in time to 2019.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
arrow, flash, makers, supergirl, trailer