Notices

Soaps Discuss Eastenders, Coronation Street and the rest of the soaps in this sub-forum.

Old 23-01-2014, 11:51 AM #1
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Exclamation EastEnders to get a brand new exterior set - See the plans!

BBC One’s flagship continuing drama series has been granted approval to rebuild and expand the exterior set at its Elstree home in order to secure the long-term future of both the show and site.

The BBC Executive Board has approved the terms of the build, and subject to planning permission, the works will start soon, with completion expected in 2018.

EastEnders has been filming on the existing exterior set for nearly 30 years and the improvements to the new extended set will provide both the scale and flexibility necessary to support and develop the show so that it continues to deliver for audiences in the years ahead.

The new set will provide a modern, upgraded exterior filming resource for EastEnders, replicating the appearance of the existing set but 20 per cent bigger to enable greater editorial ambition and improve working conditions for staff. A temporary set will be created on site to enable filming to continue while the permanent structure is rebuilt. The BBC is currently exploring legacy options for the long-term use of the temporary set including visitor tours and educational opportunities.

Dominic Treadwell-Collins, Executive Producer, EastEnders, says: “This is a really exciting project and firmly demonstrates the BBC’s commitment to the future of EastEnders. We have ambitious plans for the show and the new exterior set will help bring those to life and better reflect the East End of London on screen for audiences. The bigger and improved set will increase the potential for storylines, increase quality and meet the demands of future technology requirements. Crucially, it will provide a greater sense of scale with more locations for our characters to spend time in, opening up new areas and opportunities that haven’t been possible before – all of which are in the best interest of our viewers.”

Kate Harwood, Head of Drama England at BBC Drama Production, says: “I’m glad the BBC Executive Board has agreed that this project is crucial to investing in the future of EastEnders. The improvements and modernisation are vital to the growth and development of the show. As we approach the show’s 30th anniversary, this is a really exciting opportunity to underpin the future of one of the BBC’s most important programmes.”

An independent review highlighted the importance of the show to audiences and to the BBC as a whole, and supported investment in the exterior lot.

It is expected that preparatory work will begin at BBC Elstree later this year, followed by the start of the construction works for the temporary set in early 2015.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:18 PM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Edele
BB15: Helen

Favourites (more):

"CORRIE DID IT"

~ the stars are ours tonight ~

Last edited by HD; 23-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.
HD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 12:19 PM #3
User banned

User banned

so will it look really different on tv or
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 12:28 PM #4
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
so will it look really different on tv or
Like Corrie, it'll probably look pretty similar, but slightly different, also there's gonna be a bunch of new areas on the EE set that you wont have seen before.

A comparison of how similar Corrie managed to get theirs looking

At the moment, a lot of EastEnders set's are basically just facades, especially the ones on the street where the market stalls are, its likely that on the new set they will be built as proper buildings.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:49 PM #5
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

A picture of the original (and current) set being built

Apparently it will be built on the same site as the current set.... really not sure how that is going to work. Work is set to be complete in 2018.

Quote:
Preparatory work on the new set will begin at BBC Elstree later this year, with construction works due to begin on the temporary set early next year.

A temporary set, which will be used during the building of the new exterior, will be kept, with the BBC exploring "legacy options" including using it for visitor tours and educational opportunities.

Dominic Treadwell-Collins, the soap's executive producer, said: "We have ambitious plans for the show and the new exterior set will help bring those to life and better reflect the East End of London on screen for audiences.

Last edited by Scarlett.; 23-01-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 06:54 PM #6
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:
BB17: Lateysha

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:
BB17: Lateysha

Awesome news and i'm excited about the new changes, that set did need a revamp and now the time has come, plus a sign that the BBC are passionate about EastEnders (arguably their biggest ever programme).

Champions 2013! #20
Thanks for everything SAF- Legend!
Proud HHH fan- TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!
bbfan1991 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 06:58 PM #7
User banned

User banned

Ah okay
I'm confused.. are those real buildings? Like built with bricks? And are indoor scenes filmed in a separate studio? Or are they filmed in those houses
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:32 PM #8
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
Ah okay
I'm confused.. are those real buildings? Like built with bricks? And are indoor scenes filmed in a separate studio? Or are they filmed in those houses
They're empty shells pretty much, the interiors are generally filmed in a studio. There's also a few places in EE which are just a facade (basically a big board that are made to look like buildings.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM #9
Get it? Got it? Good!

Get it? Got it? Good!

Yeah the difference with the EastEnders & Corrie exterior sets are that Corrie's were built of real brick. The EastEnders set was built of wood on a metal framework & the bricks are fibreglass moulded panels stuck on. This is very clear when you see them close up. Obviously when the set was first built they didn't know the show was going to last as long as it did, so they have had to constantly re-build bits & tart it up regularly. Now that it is filmed in HD these flaws show up even more & probably spurned on by Corrie building a new set they have decided to do the same...

Just find it weird that they are going to build a temporary set somewhere else to use, then re-build on the current site. Surely it would be easier & far less time consuming (as well as cheaper) to just build a whole new set somewhere else?? So they are having to build TWO new sets instead of one!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 AM #10

Favourites:
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites:
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

they need to work on getting better actors and storylines first and steer away from the cliche they have been doing now for a few years.
its still no better. dyer is a waste of a actor serving pints just as i expected

they should spend the money on bullets and have a cull instead
Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
they need to work on getting better actors and storylines first and steer away from the cliche they have been doing now for a few years.
its still no better. dyer is a waste of a actor serving pints just as i expected

they should spend the money on bullets and have a cull instead
EastEnders may be far from perfect but it pisses all over the last three years' output. DTC has totally revitalised the show and barely 2 months I'm we've got a solid family unit, some decent returnees and some characterisation shifts (Masoor and Ronnie's villainous behaviour). We also have Carol's breast cancer and so far Sonia's been a lot better than I thought she'd be,

Danny Dyer's decent as well. He may not be perfect but it's a soap, not Hamlet. He'll do.

Whatever about personal opinion but it's taken a turn for the better in terms of critical acclaim and public response since Christmas. Certainly for me it's enjoyable.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:00 PM #12

EE has definitely improved since DTC took the helm. New set should be a great way to have new sls and new kinds of characters - glad he's talked about the Shoreditch-ification of Walford. More hipsters, stalls selling Polish food, internet start ups, Somali lads selling cheap mobiles , farmer's market and pop up shops and a token posh development with a banker as a recurring character ( preferably Nigerian). The show does need a few rich middle class people and people from a non white British background. 1980s EE had Debbie and Andy http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Wilkins , Colin the gay graphic designer, and the posh James Wilmott Brown. It also had a full black family Carpenters, plus Cypriot Turk Ali, Mehmet and Sue Osman who ran the cafe and cabs, plus edgy characters like Nasty Nick, Mary the punk.

I like how despite the age of Twitter, spoiler etc we were surprised by Jane's return, Cindy deciding to keep baby and Kat having twins.

The Carters are brilliant. Jonny funny without being a cliché gay, Linda is reminiscent of Angie Watts with a splash of Peggy Mitchell, Danny Dyer as Mick has shocked me as most of DD's films are s*** but he's been great, he won't win a BAFTA but he does have screen presence. He has echos of Frank Butcher, Den Watts and early Pete Beale. Nancy is played by the best young actress and Lady Di is adorable. Tina is a cool non cliché lesbian (although she seems more into men imho), and Shirley is revitalised, nor just mooching around Walford drunk and saying "Hev".Stan and Aunt Babe look promising.

The Massods are relevant again, 2014 Masood is like Frank Gallagher off Shameless. Got a feeling Massod is going to get an STD. Tamwar is getting back to 2008 Tamwar. Love the way he's now realising Massood is flawed. Even my most hated characters Dexter and Fatboy serve a purpose and the market inspector intrigues me. Shabnam is going to be a great character (original actress must be kicking herself), I can't wait to see this new Islamified Shabnam square up to the Carters returning soldier son Lee -imo will deliberately controversially stir up debate of Drummer Lee Rigby and the Muslims who tragically took his life.

Also like how EE is not being too PC: Shabnam's racism to whites, David's "good Muslim" comment to Masood, Tina's "do you want to be white" comment to Denise, Denise's "vaguely racist oven gloves" from Ian and Nikki's blase attitude to cancer. Actually Nikki is a great addition, a stirring little bitch who looks like butter won't melt. David Wick is the best down to earth day to day type character on soap/ TV imo.

The brief glimpses of Sonia have been surprisingly enjoyable on return and the Carol BRAC1 storyline is very strong . However I am a bit annoyed by Stacey's return as she dominated too many SLs.

Last edited by alex_front2; 04-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 PM #13
jackc1806

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi
jackc1806

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

Great news, especially if they open it up to the public!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM #14

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_front2 View Post
EE has definitely improved since DTC took thr helm.

The Carters are brilliant. Jonny funny without being a cliché gay, Linda is reminiscent of Angie Watts with a splash of Peggy Mitchell, Danny Dyer as Mick has shocked me as most of DD's films are **** but he's been great, he won't win a BAFTA but he does have screen presence. He has echos of Frank Butcher, Den Watts and early Pete Beale. Nancy is played by the best young actress and Lady Di is adorable. Tina is a cool non cliché lesbian (although she seems more into men imho), and Shirley is revitalised, nor just mooching around Walford drunk and saying "Hev".

The Massods are relevant again, 2014 Masood is like Frank Gallagher off Shameless. Tamwar is getting back to 2008 Tamwar. Even my most hated characters Dexter and Fatboy serve a purpose and the market inspector intrigues me.

This, just a shame he is about to ruin it for me by bringing back Little Miss Misery
HD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 12:57 AM #15
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Plans for the new set here
http://www6.hertsmere.gov.uk/online-...=N1CKAUIF1W000
Old 21-03-2014, 01:07 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
dyer is a waste of a actor serving pints just as i expected
The character owns the pub what did you expect him to do, pick his arse?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 01:07 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Can you do a screen grab please? The PDFs won't open for me.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 01:01 PM #18
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

5 years later...

Bookmark/share this topic