Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

View Poll Results: How loud or quiet is your voice?
Quiet but my voice is deep as well, not just quiet (it’s more bass-y than anything) 2 18.18%
Quiet but my voice is deep as well, not just quiet (it’s more bass-y than anything)
2 18.18%
Quiet in the soft-spoken (rather than deep/low bass-y for males) sense 0 0%
Quiet in the soft-spoken (rather than deep/low bass-y for males) sense
0 0%
Just normal/average 5 45.45%
Just normal/average
5 45.45%
On the louder side 2 18.18%
On the louder side
2 18.18%
Definitely loud 2 18.18%
Definitely loud
2 18.18%
Depends on the environment 0 0%
Depends on the environment
0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2023, 10:54 AM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
I also physically CAN'T scream at a high pitch which my kids find hilarious, and like to attack & tickle me, as I hate being tickled, and my natural inclination is to scream, but instead it comes out as this breathy, strangulated warble. APPARENTLY that is very funny .
I’d like to hear you at Six Flags, New Jersey. That might activate your inner scream.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:17 AM #27
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
I’d like to hear you at Six Flags, New Jersey. That might activate your inner scream.
I've actually never been one to scream on rides/rollercoasters. Not that I like them or that I'm not screaming internally - just always been more of a "wide eyes, clenched jaw and white knuckles" look than a scream .

I won't go on anything these days though, I've seen too many horror stories on TikTok about broken seats, derailed rides and lost limbs .
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 05:41 PM #28

Quote:
I've actually never been one to scream on rides/rollercoasters. Not that I like them or that I'm not screaming internally - just always been more of a "wide eyes, clenched jaw and white knuckles" look than a scream .

I won't go on anything these days though, I've seen too many horror stories on TikTok about broken seats, derailed rides and lost limbs .
Half of what you see on TikTok (especially when it comes from anyone under the age of 21) ought to be taken with a pinch of salt. That incident in Alton Towers in 2015 was one of the first and last incidents I’ve credibly heard of involving someone getting stuck or losing half a limb (and, I mean, bless them). It’s not as common as you seem to think.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 20-06-2023, 05:16 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
When i am out with my girls I get scolded and told to use my indoor voice like in a shop or whatever
“Dad, you’re embarrassing me. You’re not supposed to tell me that so loudly in public.”

Old 20-06-2023, 07:27 PM #30

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
I also physically CAN'T scream at a high pitch which my kids find hilarious, and like to attack & tickle me, as I hate being tickled, and my natural inclination is to scream, but instead it comes out as this breathy, strangulated warble. APPARENTLY that is very funny .

Beautiful...I love this post.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 07:50 PM #31

Brian Blessed what a booming voice too much for me , i used to have a friend ( sadly passed)with a booming voice like Brian and i used to say can't you speak quieter ? the whole bloody pub knows whats your saying but it was him and how he spoke,big and loud.

Last edited by hijaxers; 20-06-2023 at 07:51 PM.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:48 AM #32

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm quiet in normal conversation but have a similar issue with my voice being quite deep. It's fine in normal circumstances and I wouldn't say quiet - but I do struggle to "project" louder than normal e.g. public speaking or in a loud environment like a bar. I can actively feel the strain and a lump building in my throat .
Does it annoy you when people keep telling you that you’re too quiet/low in your voice or have you gotten to the point when you’re just unapologetically yourself and anyone who doesn’t like it can f-off kind of thing?

Old 09-08-2023, 01:06 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Beautiful...I love this post.
I relate to it a little as well (I can actually scream though). With the whole low voice thing I’ve had comments like “how is your voice so deep/low?” (I take the deepness as a compliment because it is) for a long time and I don’t mind that at all but when it comes to people who are a bit deaf/inattentive/anti-quiet the fact that I’m quite quiet vocally overshadows the actual deepness of my voice, to the extent where they think I’m losing my voice or something. I used to be extremely self-conscious about it but now I just laugh it off and keep it pushing. We can’t all be loud and annoying and if someone’s hard of crystal-clear hearing because they’re biased against people being a little quiet (it’s not even like you’re whispering) that’s their problem.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:26 PM #34
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Old 09-08-2023, 01:38 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
The quiet power of bass and that Susan Cain book (the power of quiet in a world that can’t stop talking) are a revelation. People often make it out to be almost a crime to be any more quiet than average or strictly what the situation calls for but it’s not (it’s a good thing in many ways). By all means project as much as you need to when it’s necessary and make sure your speaking voice is loud enough (and clear) but there’s a difference between loud enough and loud just for the sake of being loud. Once you get good with being tonally quieter you stop obsessing over how other people think your voice comes across as and eventually just stop caring. It doesn’t detract from what you say or anything to actually do with you as a person. With a population of 7 billion we’re bound to all be different (in terms of voice-tonality, personality, ethnicity, height, weight, etc.) and diversity’s ultimately a good thing. You don’t need to get into the habit of making silly excuses for just being the way you are. You could be a chain-smoker with intermittent severe tonsillitis or you could just have a low, husky voice. So long as you’re heard and don’t get asked to speak up too much what does it really matter.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
voice, volume, what’s