Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Celebrity Big Brother 2024 CBB 23 starts March 4th 2024 on ITV.

Old 24-03-2024, 10:13 AM #26
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

For me there were too many hm's with a similar character type, and they overwhelmed the ones that could have made it interesting.

Some well thought out tasks could have brought different aspects of peoples characters out into the open, but little thought went in to all but one of the tasks.

They also put way too much emphasis on sharon and louis and that certainly didn't help
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 10:30 AM #27

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
For me there were too many hm's with a similar character type, and they overwhelmed the ones that could have made it interesting.

Some well thought out tasks could have brought different aspects of peoples characters out into the open, but little thought went in to all but one of the tasks.

They also put way too much emphasis on sharon and louis and that certainly didn't help
I fully agree with you last statement bots, it was all about them really.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 04:07 PM #28
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

The BB brand brings more attention to their channel, so we will probably see more ITV-adjacent personalities (mostly reality people probably) and that may just mean the drama is more pre-produced based on things that happen just before entering the house... They could take someone controversial from popular show X and throw them in with other very controversial and attention-seeking neurotics from popular show Y and let it rip... it's not the original spirit of BB, but it's also just so hard to find "normal" people to throw in there that haven't already been touched by media and made some links to that industry.

I can see it being very hard to avoid recycling the same reality TV people across the spectrum/multiple programs. The reality TV industry is very incestuous. As such, they probably get a lot of interest from people who are creatively active, but because they already know what they will get from them, especially if they're seasoned in whatever douchebaggery they specialize in, it's not a good fit for what BB is meant to be: a social experiment. It's not meant to just be a house for people to just come in and shout at cameras so their faces will be plastered everywhere. Maybe they risk annoying and scaring off the audience if they cast mostly these kinds of publicity-greedy personalities. (They would want people to understand and actually play the game for it to really work)

Last edited by Maru; 24-03-2024 at 04:10 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 05:22 PM #29
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
The BB brand brings more attention to their channel, so we will probably see more ITV-adjacent personalities (mostly reality people probably) and that may just mean the drama is more pre-produced based on things that happen just before entering the house... They could take someone controversial from popular show X and throw them in with other very controversial and attention-seeking neurotics from popular show Y and let it rip... it's not the original spirit of BB, but it's also just so hard to find "normal" people to throw in there that haven't already been touched by media and made some links to that industry.

I can see it being very hard to avoid recycling the same reality TV people across the spectrum/multiple programs. The reality TV industry is very incestuous. As such, they probably get a lot of interest from people who are creatively active, but because they already know what they will get from them, especially if they're seasoned in whatever douchebaggery they specialize in, it's not a good fit for what BB is meant to be: a social experiment. It's not meant to just be a house for people to just come in and shout at cameras so their faces will be plastered everywhere. Maybe they risk annoying and scaring off the audience if they cast mostly these kinds of publicity-greedy personalities. (They would want people to understand and actually play the game for it to really work)
That's true, just look at how the BBC described David's 'celebrity' status:

Quote:
Potts, 30, who rose to fame as a holiday rep on ITV2's Ibiza Weekender, beat fellow finalists Louis Walsh, Fern Briton, Nikita Kuzmin and Colson Smith.

Potts was previously also known for appearing on shows including Celebs on the Farm, Celebrity Karaoke Club and Celebrity Ghost Trip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68631473
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 05:25 PM #30
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

The best celeb series have been when there's a few unpolished housemates, one or two who don't really know what the show is about, a couple from non-TV backgrounds, and maybe a housemate at the end of their career who are past caring or have no interest in redemption arcs. A few reality personalities are fine especially ones who deliberately stir things up knowing it makes good telly, just not a whole house of them
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 06:51 PM #31
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Could the shorter length actually help with it being easier to produce, if they actually produce? They can keep the HMs on their toes by switching up things more often and maybe stop some of the predictable alliances and usual celebrity bullshit from getting in and killing the spontaneity. It could be more interesting for the HMs as well... putting people in a house without social media and cell phones is probably hard for the younger ones especially who are used to flicking through their phones all day and so aren't accustomed to needing to entertain themselves or others without it

Edit: That doesn't mean they can't lengthen it later once they find a workable formula

Last edited by Maru; 24-03-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 08:07 PM #32

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Yeah it wasn't the best. Actually quite a few episodes I found that I had literally fallen asleep ten minutes before the end. I wasn't really gripped at the cast, I loved Sharon but once she had gone I just didn't really support anyone. It seemed like everyone just wanted to be nice. Fern was irritating me with all the crying all the time. The lads were just nice, David had some funny moments but I think he could have been even better with some better fellow housemates. There were some moments I enjoyed but it just really really lacked something. Channel 5 gets slated a lot but they had amazing series of CBB at times when they had a more interesting cast.

The civilian one was good but not brilliant. And felt slightly too short and it really should be over summer. I think that's all it lacked really.

AJ and Will I think are getting better but they don't have that Davina or Emma feel for me. I don't know I don't think it will last as long as the channel 4 and channel 5 series did.

As for competition with Love Island, love island has been drawn out too much now it's way past its sell by date, noone I know even watches it anymore
Old 25-03-2024, 05:47 AM #33
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

…I really personally don’t think it’s so important which aspect of entertainment/celebrity the housemates have hailed from…some of the best celebrity housemates have provided some of the most watchable CBB times over the years and can have us screaming at our TV in create so many talking points…I think in Stephen Bear’s year/edition, it was very heavily realty star based…it’s not what they do in terms of a career, it’s who they are in terms of how they blend together and thinking of it as a complete house as well…I’m not sure that seems to be given the thought in terms of what has made the best celebrity viewing in days gone by and reality TV stars can give great reality tv, that’s the point…if they’re well chosen with thought…I mean a fundamental of…’we’re going to go back to basics and give you more a back in the day CBB…’…etc…is that they look at past celebrity editions and the essence of how a house has been put together in the more talked about and more watched and ‘controversial’ versions…this felt as though there was choosing as individuals for individual limelight and highlight and fingers crossed, people…and it fell short quite a bit…
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 08:01 AM #34
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Could the shorter length actually help with it being easier to produce, if they actually produce? They can keep the HMs on their toes by switching up things more often and maybe stop some of the predictable alliances and usual celebrity bullshit from getting in and killing the spontaneity. It could be more interesting for the HMs as well... putting people in a house without social media and cell phones is probably hard for the younger ones especially who are used to flicking through their phones all day and so aren't accustomed to needing to entertain themselves or others without it

Edit: That doesn't mean they can't lengthen it later once they find a workable formula
I can easily agree with this.

Again personally for me, I'm just pleased BB is back.
It also depends what people watching it want to see too.

I found the drama, the arguments, which were in my view sometimes staged too just false and not really enjoyable at all in many previous series.

I liked this CBB it could have been longer but even more as to challenges could have been done in the time it was on.
I like to learn more about the housemates.
I said earlier when Fern interviewed briefly David and Nikita.
I found that interesting.
I'd like more of that

Another issue however is the highlights.
I don't think any BB series gets the right balance of the events in the house shown in the highlights.
That's all down to production of course.

All I know is last night it was a big miss on TV and I was still wishing it was on.
So it's been enjoyable enough although no BB or CBB series will please everyone watching.

Again, I'm just so glad it's back and will watch and support it whatever.

Last edited by joeysteele; 25-03-2024 at 08:02 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 12:17 PM #35
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

The shorter length is just a reflection of peoples reduced attention span.

I don't think i was alone in thinking that 3 weeks was more than long enough for the latest celeb BB. If it had been any longer, i would probably have switched off after the first couple of days
Old 25-03-2024, 01:13 PM #36
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The shorter length is just a reflection of peoples reduced attention span.

I don't think i was alone in thinking that 3 weeks was more than long enough for the latest celeb BB. If it had been any longer, i would probably have switched off after the first couple of days
…I would have read your 2nd paragraph as well…but honestly my attention wandered toward the end of the first sentence…
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 03:36 PM #37
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…I would have read your 2nd paragraph as well…but honestly my attention wandered toward the end of the first sentence…

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bigger, cbb, hit, itv, it’s, thinks, thought’…, trouble