Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

International Big Brother Big Brother around the world!

Old 27-01-2002, 11:26 AM #1

Default Big Brother Russia

The following article is in this week's 'News of the World' magazine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
It’s Big Brotherski!

Russians craving more than their regular dose of Big brother style action had to wrap up warm for a ringside seat.

Thousands of reality TV addicts queued up in the freezing cold for a glimpse of the randy Russki housemates through a one-way mirror.

Not surprising, as the audience was treated to lesbian shower romps and full sex scenes.

Copycat show ‘Za Steklom’ – meaning ‘Behind the Glass’ – is Russian TV’s biggest hit.

Half of the countries TV viewers watched seven contestants spend 34 days in a specially converted flat in a Moscow hotel.

To encourage more steamy moments, the competition was won by a duo rather then an individual.

Just like our own version of the show, viewers watching through 60 cameras had to oust the losers and ultimately pick the victors.

The winners walked away with a luxury apartment each, a cash prize, plus lucrative advertising and showbusiness contracts.

Just days into the show, the real fun began. Marguerita, 22, became a star thanks to her saucy antics and apparent willingness to do anything to stay in the game.

She kicked off by getting her kit off with Olga, a 24 year old lesbian gym instructor. They were filmed belly dancing, kissing passionately and frolicking in the shower.

However, this was not to last, as Olga was swiftly voted out.

Undeterred, Marguerita opted for another bathroom seduction – this time with male contestant, Alexander, whose girlfriend was so upset she told the press she was dumping him.

So Alexander decided to throw in the towel and leave the house to woo her back.

Then the unstoppable Marguerita got it on with Max, to become the first copulating couple.

They made Russian TV history by having sex in front of millions – for just 63 seconds – and even enjoyed a repeat performance in the shower a few days later.

The couple then moved onto one of the rooms together and spoke about marriage.

But it appears to have been a waste of time. They became a hit with the peeping tom public but still didn’t win first prize.

Boring Zhana and Denis won over £10,000 by being nice and managing to keep their clothes on.

The show certainly made waves while on air. Russia’s Orthodox Church and education ministry described it as ‘depraved’.

And Victor Anpilov, a leading communist, says: "It is terrible. People who used to go to museums and the theatre are being corrupted by this sort of Western trash.

"Those who watch it are sexually immature. As for the contestants, they need to seek serious professional help."

Muslim cleric Talgat Tadjuddin adds: "This shameful school of lechery should be banned."

Not all politicians condemn the programme, though.

Vladimir Zhirinovsky, the attention seeking leader of the far right Liberal Democratic party, who has boasted of his own sexual prowess, complained that too many of the male and female participants were sleeping in separate rooms!

However, the show’s makers could be in hot water as Endemol, owners of the official Big Brother format, is considering legal action for infringement of copyright.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ignoring the tabloid sensationalism for a moment, I thought this was quite interesting.

What do you think of the idea of being able to go there live and watch what was happening through one of the mirrors? I think that, providing it could be done safely and without any risk of contact to the housemates, it would be a really interesting thing to be able to do. I think they would have huge amounts of people who would pay to do this.

And what about the fact that the organisers told Alexander that his girlfriend was about to leave him. I wonder what would have happened over here if Channel 4 had adopted the same policy with Helen.

If we had had 2 winners, both Brian and Helen would have shared first prize.
LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2002, 12:54 PM #2
Administrator

Administrator

Thanks for posting up that article, LEE.

It would be fascinating to watch what was happening live. Just imagine during BB2 you might have come face to face with Paul sorting his hair, Brian putting aftershave on a spot, or Helen putting on her mascara!

The Russian programme must have had different rules concerning contact with the outside world, if a contestant was told about his girlfriend. You mention the Paul & Helen situation, but I also wonder how Bubble would have reacted to news about his girlfriend 'playing away' while he was in the house.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2002, 01:58 PM #3

I wonder how they find out about these things? There was certain information about the outside world that had them all wondering.

Brian really didn't know how his family would react to him being gay and gay on tv. Penny could have done with a few warning words from her school, Liz's friends would have told her to lighten up, and Dean's friends would have told him to spend less time with Liz.

I'm a bit confused about the Bubble thing, because it's only afterwards that I heard he had serious doubts about her fidelity during his time in the house. If they'd known that, surely they wouldn't have mentioned the newspaper thing? Or am I being niaive?

Personally, if you are doing a show like that then not knowing about the outside world is pretty important. I suppose there would be ways of telling you about things in the real world without hinting at how the real world saw you.

Back to the mirror thing. It could be really dangerous. If something really good was happening I'd find it hard not to have my nose pressed up against the glass, or to shout out advice. I already have visions of Davina watching Helen and Paul almost, but not kiss before his eviction, holding her breathe and letting out an exacerbated grunt when they didn't. Or gasping when they were admitting to fancying each other.

Can you imagine having a tender moment in the bb house, only to hear faint cheering from behind a mirror? Or worse, booing?
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, russia