Notices

BB4 Cameron, Ray, Scott, Jon Tickle, Nush and the others from Big Brother 4 in 2003.

Old 14-08-2002, 10:03 PM #1
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

Default Will BB4 be money driven?

Two main areas to this thread - Something which I was thinking about earlier and wondered what other peoples views are.

With the success of BB1 and BB2, it seems that people weren't impressed with BB3, mainly because of two reasons. 1) the contestants weren't as 'genuine' as previous ones and 2) The producers were messing around with the show too much. Channel4/Endemol seemed to be bothered about ratings and money from the updates etc.
Once the BB3 contestants left the house, it seemed they were snapped up by everyone possible. We have seen Jade in magazines, Alex on adverts etc - ALL contestants making considerable amounts of money.

With BB4 due next year, application forms will be going out in a few months time I would imagine, but it made me wonder, will the money making antics of the BB3 contestants force "money wanting" peeople, and people looking for fame to apply to the show?
Looking back on BB1 - nobody knew much about the show - people genuinely wanted to go into the house to see what it was like and for life experience. I am worried that there are going to be a swarm of people going to apply for BB4 that want to be on the front of every tabloid, and appear on adverts and to scoop the 70k. Just some of these people may get on the show - and the show may plan out not as many of us would like.

This moves onto my next point. Who are the producers going to pick for the next series? Are they going to look for people who love to drink lots and get drunk every night? Are they going to look for mad/loud people? Or are they going to look for genuine people, quiet people, funny people?
I hope they don't get sidetracked by people wanting fame, and I hope they can find the people that we, the viewers, will enjoy watching on TV.
Also I hope we get contestants who want to go in the house and stick the full duration - not people who leave 2 weeks into it.

I also wonder how Channel4 will act. Will they turn the show into a "lets see how much money we can make show" or will they make it "lets keep viewers happy"?
I understand the show needs to make money - but felt that it was too "in our face" this year. After every show, before every show, on the website, adverts on TV all were trying to get us to sign up to news alerts etc. In the background, channel 4 making lots of money.
This sort of sidetracked the whole show itself - which kind of disappointed me.

To sum up all the above - I have a feeling that BB4 will be money driven - in the aspect that people will apply for fame and money, and CH4 will try and make as much as possible, and will do anything to achieve this, in the process not paying enough attention to the show. I do understand that BB is a game show and there is money to be won - but I think people get pulled in by the sign of money. I mean, what would be the difference, and type of people applying if there was no prize money to be won?

I really hope this doesn't happen.

What are your views?

- Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2002, 10:12 PM #2

That's a very detailed thought

I think that as it is C4 beiggest earner it would seem as though they have to try and make more

But i don;t think C4 will mess it up as much as ITV or even teh Beeb would
finch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bb4, driven, money