Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-08-2009, 01:41 PM #1

Default Multiculturalism in childrens media?

Watching Balamory the other day (set on the Island of Mull) many of the nursery children were deliberately asian/arabic (the show is based on the island nursery). 2 of the main characters are black. this does not reflect Mull or a lot of Scotland.

Is it necessary, does it work or is it just hand-wringing middle class white 30 year old BBC producers and execs worrying they will be blamed?
IsleOfWeather is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:51 PM #2

Watching Balamory eh? Oh you Big Kid
Lewis. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 02:03 PM #3

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:

what's your solution IsleOfWeather ?
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 02:39 PM #4
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

I dont watch kids TV (Only peek when my sister has it on) and I have noticed as well that with modern kids shows for the BBC. I dont think it is wrong to have a Multicultural cast as it does show you a glimpse of our society as it is today.

I have not been racist here before you moan.
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 02:42 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by ange7
solution to what?
Old 26-08-2009, 02:44 PM #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry.
I dont watch kids TV (Only peek when my sister has it on) and I have noticed as well that with modern kids shows for the BBC. I dont think it is wrong to have a Multicultural cast as it does show you a glimpse of our society as it is today.

if you watched childrens tv or read modern books you would think that half the UK is black or asian and not under 10%
Old 26-08-2009, 02:46 PM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by IsleOfWeather
Watching Balamory the other day (set on the Island of Mull) many of the nursery children were deliberately asian/arabic (the show is based on the island nursery). 2 of the main characters are black. this does not reflect Mull or a lot of Scotland.

Is it necessary, does it work or is it just hand-wringing middle class white 30 year old BBC producers and execs worrying they will be blamed?
There does not seem any reason not to have diverse casts in programmes. I do feel you have a point though that some ethnic groups seem to be more favoured then others and that this often seems to be based upon current politics rather then concern for representation.

I dont think however that any programme can properly reflect the diversity of our society but that does not mean they should not try do to so to some extent.
Taijitu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 02:48 PM #8

Quote:
Quote:

if you watched childrens tv or read modern books you would think that half the UK is black or asian and not under 10%
Find a way to make a programme with a cast of 60 million and then perhaps percentages represented could be discussed.
Old 26-08-2009, 02:50 PM #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Taijitu
Quote:

There does not seem any reason not to have diverse casts in programmes. I do feel you have a point though that some ethnic groups seem to be more favoured then others and that this often seems to be based upon current politics rather then concern for representation.

I dont think however that any programme can properly reflect the diversity of our society but that does not mean they should not try do to so to some extent.

but if they want to truly reflect it then they should have an all white cast in Balamory and in most of the tv shows.

They are not reflecting they are being deliberately unreflective to make a point that I doubt has been tested. ie if you show lots of black people then the children will grow up to be less racist?

who says so?
Old 26-08-2009, 02:52 PM #10

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
solution to what?
to whatever it is you moaning about. This pc conspiracy theory of yours sound funny. You didn't post a thread like this without having thought of an answer. What is it?
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 03:01 PM #11

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
solution to what?
to whatever it is you moaning about. This pc conspiracy theory of yours sound funny. You didn't post a thread like this without having thought of an answer. What is it?

as this is the "serious" debate area I think I can be forgiven for

1. posting a debate
2. asking for opinions
Old 26-08-2009, 03:05 PM #12

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Balamory is amazing

I hate Archie
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 03:06 PM #13

Quote:
but if they want to truly reflect it then they should have an all white cast in Balamory and in most of the tv shows.

They are not reflecting they are being deliberately unreflective to make a point that I doubt has been tested. ie if you show lots of black people then the children will grow up to be less racist?

who says so?
Firstly I don't believe they do they are most likely responding to current political values and perhaps afraid, as you say, of the consequences if they do not.

But theater, film and television never show truth but merely a perspective of it.

As for children I think they do not need to be taught anything along these lines as until they are told a skin colour makes a difference then it seems of little more importance to them then hair etc.

In an ideal world there would be no reason to have any rules or practices governing this as nobody would consider racism, homophobia sexism etc. in the first place.

However since this isn't an ideal world and people have been persecuted for centuries for their differences it seems a good thing to me to try to have representation even if it is not one hundred percent reflective or even with the best intentions. As long as it is not with bad intention.
Old 26-08-2009, 03:08 PM #14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
solution to what?

as this is the "serious" debate area I think I can be forgiven for

1. posting a debate
2. asking for opinions
Forgiven but possibly laughed at all things being taken into consideration.

Forum wise that is not refering to your posts.
Old 26-08-2009, 03:11 PM #15

^^^

eh?
Old 26-08-2009, 03:20 PM #16

Quote:
^^^

eh?
Well since you are talking about representation the general concensus here is that 18 is about the oldest one should be to lose one's virginity, 14 is about average and 21 is way too old.

£100,000 isnt much to earn a year and low earners like nurses, firemen and policemen are just lazy compared to bank directors.

Some could argue that views here may not very representative of the adult population of the UK in the first place and to expect any serious debate may be close to laughable.
Old 26-08-2009, 03:46 PM #17

Quote:
Quote:
^^^

eh?
Well since you are talking about representation the general concensus here is that 18 is about the oldest one should be to lose one's virginity, 14 is about average and 21 is way too old.

£100,000 isnt much to earn a year and low earners like nurses, firemen and policemen are just lazy compared to bank directors.

Some could argue that views here may not very representative of the adult population of the UK in the first place and to expect any serious debate may be close to laughable.

but I am not arguing that it should be completely representative (you are) I am asking if over representing race is correct and indeed effective or is it just an adult liberal indulgement?
Old 26-08-2009, 03:57 PM #18
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Balamory is amazing

I hate Archie
he is a right tw@
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 03:58 PM #19

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Corrie
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Balamory is amazing

I hate Archie
he is a right tw@
he is the weakest character, agreed. and what is with his pink castle?
Old 26-08-2009, 04:02 PM #20

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
^^^

eh?

but I am not arguing that it should be completely representative (you are) I am asking if over representing race is correct and indeed effective or is it just an adult liberal indulgement?
Then my thoughts are it is probably an adult liberal action that is safer there then not and that without huge casts shows cannot avoid over representing.

I have never seen the show but if there is is one person of ethnic minority on the Isle of Mull then having a fully caucasian cast would be equaly unreflective of the area or of Scotland (where I also live).

If, however, you have a cast of two and one is chinese then you could run the risk of it being labled as not reflecting the population as half of Scottish people are not visibly of Chinese decent.

Given that choice why not have any mixture as children will most likely not care as long as something entertaining jumps up and down singing and if adults watch it they should know better?
Old 26-08-2009, 04:04 PM #21

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
^^^

eh?

Then my thoughts are it is probably an adult liberal action that is safer there then not and that without huge casts shows cannot avoid over representing.

I have never seen the show but if there is is one person of ethnic minority on the Isle of Mull then having a fully caucasian cast would be equaly unreflective of the area or of Scotland (where I also live).

If, however, you have a cast of two and one is chinese then you could run the risk of it being labled as not reflecting the population as half of Scottish people are not visibly of Chinese decent.

Given that choice why not have any mixture as children will most likely not care as long as something entertaining jumps up and down singing and if adults watch it they should know better?

is a good answer
Old 26-08-2009, 04:11 PM #22
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Corrie
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Balamory is amazing

I hate Archie
he is a right tw@
grr he annoys me too. I swear he is gay in denial?
Ninastar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 04:14 PM #23

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
^^^

eh?

is a good answer
Ta.

Just talking the other day about Philosophy. We came to the conclusion that it is far better considered in reverse as wisdom and truth have a tendancy to pursue us. We thought that the most harmonious way to live is to learn how to be aware of this and except it rather then running the other way.

Im off out now but it would be interesting what you think of that.

Edit: Our conclusion that is not the fact I am off out.
Old 30-08-2009, 01:53 PM #24

[rquote=2483887&tid=143481&author=IsleOfWeather]
Quote:

if you watched childrens tv or read modern books you would think that half the UK is black or asian and not under 10%[/rquote]

Mmmmmm. Do you always believe the statistis put out for public consumption!!!!!!!

bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 08:28 AM #25

[rquote=2501154&tid=143481&author=bananarama][rquote=2483887&tid=143481&author=IsleOfWeather]
Quote:

if you watched childrens tv or read modern books you would think that half the UK is black or asian and not under 10%[/rquote]

Mmmmmm. Do you always believe the statistis put out for public consumption!!!!!!!

[/rquote]

yes if they are home office stats with no political status.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
childrens, media, multiculturalism