Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-05-2010, 03:24 AM #76

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSid View Post
It has NOTHING to do with being PC Banana.

Caste = latin word for pure therefore half caste = half pure

It comes from the Indian class system.

When you call someone half caste you are calling them half pure and lower class.

That^'s why it's offensive.
Nice ... you explained it in about 4 paragraphs less than I did. Serves me right for trying to break it down for poor ol' poximo.
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 03:36 AM #77

Favourites:

Favourites:

me:"Half-caste" historically has been used to ostracize and demean the children from mixed parents and refers to them being 'lesser' or 'inferior' ...
El:'I doubt that but it doesn't matter what the historical usage was. It matter what the common usage is and in what meaning the sender intends to put into the word envelope.'
So first your point was that the 'receiver' (your words) and how they take the racial slur is what determines if it was racist. Now you've changes your tune and said it's "what the person meant" and that 'common usage' should dictate meaning. I agree that common usage dictates meaning but your problem is that YOUR definition isn't in the majority. Your definition of 'half-cats' isn't the common meaning....'cast' as in blah blah ...crazyness. That's just you and your ignorant mates.
Again...ignorance isn't an excuse but if you only ever mix with people like yourself then it won't ever be a problem.. ( but it could get a little crowded under that rock)
Old 19-05-2010, 03:40 AM #78

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
Any word or combination of words can be "offensive" depending on the intent behind it - but why on earth people are determined to be "offended" by anything total strangers call them is ridiculous. I really couldn't give a toss what such people think of me or call me - their judgments of me are meaningless. It is the politically correct brigade who have given certain words and phrases the power to "offend" by seeking to ban or censure them.
sorry.... you don't get to choose what minorities find offensive. That's a crazy utopia that you might masturbate to but in real life and among human beings ( the people you peep at through your letter box) words CAN be offensive....even from strangers. Humans are funny that way 'angus'
Old 19-05-2010, 03:41 AM #79

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
What's wrong is that people have to tread on egg shells when speaking or writing........PC is about pandering to a bunch of babies who throw their toys out of the pram if a specific wordings of their choice is not used......

Be your self and use words respectfully appropriate. As long as no offence is intended then ignore the babies who can't recognise the difference and want to stifle free expression.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo

"that's you that is"

"it's political correctness gone mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' mahahahaha
Old 19-05-2010, 04:41 AM #80

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange7 View Post
sorry.... you don't get to choose what minorities find offensive. That's a crazy utopia that you might masturbate to but in real life and among human beings ( the people you peep at through your letter box) words CAN be offensive....even from strangers. Humans are funny that way 'angus'
Ah dear "Ange", the font of all wisdom and knowledge, and self appointed arbiter of vocabulary who speaks on behalf of the "minorities" who may or may not be offended by this or that spoken word, usually uttered by ignorant and moronic idiots. If you wish to give power to the imbecilic ramblings of such idiots carry on banning and censuring. I, myself, have been called many quite inventive things throughout my life, but since they are the nonsensical and meaningless opinions of strangers who don't even register on my radar, its all water off a duck's back.

I do so enjoy your swoopings in and out of the forum to dispense your predictable and dismissive opinions in your own inimitable patronising style, often interspersed with random metaphor. Full of wind and p*ss in many cases, but no less entertaining for that.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 05:22 AM #81

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange7 View Post
me:"Half-caste" historically has been used to ostracize and demean the children from mixed parents and refers to them being 'lesser' or 'inferior' ...
What I correctly told you is that nobody in the UK in this era uses that term in a derogatory way or to mean any sort of 'lesser' or 'inferior' sense.

I did know an Indian family who used the term 'caste' in their context and it was something they were proud of.
They were a little happy to boast of their 'caste' which was the 'highest' and 'best' caste.
However,
nobody in modern Britain or, for that matter, the US, Canada, Oz, NZ.. nobody uses that in a derogatory sense.

In fact almost everyone who ever used the term thinks it means 'half cast' in the sense of being 'cast' from two different gene pools.

I might also mention you refer to 'half-caste' people as 'minorities' which is 'by definition' a lesser and inferior term.
I decided that is offensive and therefore you are guilty. Racist bigot.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 05:40 AM #82

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=ElProximo;3238437]What I correctly told you is that nobody in the UK in this era uses that term in a derogatory way or to mean any sort of 'lesser' or 'inferior' sense.

I did know an Indian family who used the term 'caste' in their context and it was something they were proud of.
They were a little happy to boast of their 'caste' which was the 'highest' and 'best' caste.
However,
nobody in modern Britain or, for that matter, the US, Canada, Oz, NZ.. nobody uses that in a derogatory sense.

In fact almost everyone who ever used the term thinks it means 'half cast' in the sense of being 'cast' from two different gene pools.

I might also mention you refer to 'half-caste' people as 'minorities' which is 'by definition' a lesser and inferior term.
I decided that is offensive and therefore you are guilty. Racist bigot.[/QUOTE

I find it extremely patronising and self aggrandising that the self appointed politically correct brigade determine firstly WHO are the "minorities", and secondly get to determine what words and phrases those "minorities" may or may not be offended by. Having thus determined these issues, these sanctimonious and self righteous prigs set about banning and censuring "offensive" vocabulary.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 06:04 AM #83

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
I find it extremely patronising and self aggrandising that the self appointed politically correct brigade determine firstly WHO are the "minorities", and secondly get to determine what words and phrases those "minorities" may or may not be offended by. Having thus determined these issues, these sanctimonious and self righteous prigs set about banning and censuring "offensive" vocabulary.

Exactly and I'm now going to say something that seems to surprise most people but I challenge everyone to think about this:

Almost ALL of the people in this PC thinkspeak movement are white privileged liberal elitists,
and,
It is actually the WORST kind of condescending racism there is on the planet.
It is a 'patronising' type of 'white liberal guilt' that is so selfish it finds a way to 'alleviate their guilt' yet by putting it on OTHERS,
and,
then also getting 'credit' afterward.
It is just the most disgusting selfish condescending elitist type of superiority racism there is.

I know for sure many or even most people are momentarily confused that I am calling the PC crowd the worst racists,
but,
all i ask is that people think about this. If you think of it long enough you will see what I mean.
Old 19-05-2010, 06:23 AM #84

I read through this thread, so I dont need to explain why its offensive anymore, as setanta, sashown, Ange7 and Digitalsid, have explained it perfectly well. If you want know, the answer to the OPs question, refer to their posts.
Now, for the life of me, I cant understand why some of you folks, insist on using terms that others find offensive, just because you dont want to be restricted in what you can, or cannot say. Ever! Surely, its not difficult to just say mixed race, or whatever other term, thats not known to offend?
But, it is a free country, its not illegal to say, so if you insist, use away. Thats fine, if you want to be considered either racist, or ignorant, because you will. I, and most people that I know, find it offensive, period! But again, like I said, its not illegal, so I cant punch you for saying it, I will only be glad to know what type of person you are. Of course there are exceptions when someone just doesnt know it does offend, as I am sure its the case for some people in this thread. BUt Id like to think that when they realize it offends certain people, they will stop using it. If not, carry on. There are people that carry on Using words like the N word for Black people, or the P word, for some asians. Its your right of freedom of expression. NO one can stop you from doing it.
I also have no problem with someone calling themselves half cast, if they so choose, there is nothing wrong with that, Just like if a black person refers to themselves as a ******. Got no problems with that. But If I was of mixed heritage, someone who calls me half cast wouldnt be a person I would have respect for, or even acknowledge. I tend to just ignore such people.

SO there you have it, you know what it means, you know why its offensive, its your choice weather you want to carry on using or not!

PS: for the person who says its not used in a deragatory way in the US, well Ive got new for you: Its not used, ever! Ive never heard it used there, never read about it, if you asked 90% of them, they woudlnt even know what you are reffering to. I think its mainly because people over there dont really refer to them as mixed, most of the time, even if they are. So that term, dont know about the past, but nowadays, it has completely vanished. JUst to tell you, its not difficult never to use it.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat!

Last edited by Wildcat!; 19-05-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 07:59 AM #85

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
Surely, its not difficult to just say mixed race, or whatever other term, thats not known to offend?
I told you that 'mixed race' is offensive so why do you insist on using that term?
I asked you use 'half-cast' instead.
Yet you keep using insult terms even after it was explained to you its offensive and derogatory.

Why are you hurting half-cast people like that?
I want you to explain why you offended someone with that 'mixed-race' slur?

Please feel free to explain this to me now?
Old 19-05-2010, 09:54 AM #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElProximo View Post
I told you that 'mixed race' is offensive so why do you insist on using that term?
I asked you use 'half-cast' instead.
Yet you keep using insult terms even after it was explained to you its offensive and derogatory.

Why are you hurting half-cast people like that?
I want you to explain why you offended someone with that 'mixed-race' slur?

Please feel free to explain this to me now?

there you have it! it is a free country indeed, so ahead, carry on, and play dumb while youre at it.
At least people know what kind of a person you are. And at least i know to ignore you from now on!

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat!

Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 10:00 AM #87
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I actually didn't know it was considered offensive Wildcat but having said that I never used the term anyway cos I don't like the sound of it. Not that it comes up much anyhow but yeah I can't understand why people would insist on using it when they know it's offensive other than that their goal is to offend of course

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 10:03 AM #88
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
there you have it! it is a free country indeed, so ahead, carry on, and play dumb while youre at it.
At least people know what kind of a person you are. And at least i know to ignore you from now on!
the famous Wildcat IGNORE

hehe
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
halfcaste, offensive, term