Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2010, 02:00 PM #1576
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:
X Factor 2010: Matt Cardle

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

George Gillett and Tom Hicks look set to be on their way out of Anfield, with a High Court ruling giving Liverpool power to push through a takeover.

The American duo, who have co-owned the Reds since 2007, have been reluctantly forced to concede that they cannot block a £300million bid from New England Sports Ventures.

NESV, who own the Boston Red Sox and are fronted by John W Henry, saw a formal offer accepted by the Liverpool board against the wishes of Hicks and Gillett.

With that offer set to see them make a sizeable loss on their investment, the Reds' co-owners attempted to disrupt proceedings and retain their stranglehold on the Merseyside giants.

However, their efforts to remove high-ranking members of the board proved fruitless and it quickly became apparent that they were fighting a losing battle.

Taking the matter to the High Court was Hicks and Gillett's last chance to stave off a sale they did not sanction and ensure they continued to hold power at Anfield.

Those efforts have been in vain, though, as Mr Justice Floyd has given Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton the go-ahead to sell the club.
Debt

He sided in favour of the Royal Bank of Scotland, who are owed over £230m by Hicks and Gillett following their takeover.

The deadline for repayment on that loan was set at Friday, with fears raised that Liverpool could be docked nine points were the debt not settled and the club's holding company, Kop Holdings, were forced into administration.

That situation will be avoided should a takeover agreement with NESV now be put in place, with Henry making it clear that all outstanding debts will be cleared should he take charge.

Hicks and Gillett had asked a judge to delay the hearing of an application by RBS for mandatory orders but, at the bank's request, injunctions have been imposed on the two men requiring them to restore the original constitutions of the companies and managing directors.

While the way has now been paved for NESV to complete a takeover, there is still a chance that a rival bid from Singapore billionaire Peter Lim could be negotiated.

He has vowed to stump up £320million in cash to get the club back on an even keel, with £40m available for players in the January transfer window.

The saga could rumble on for some time yet, with a takeover deal now needing to be thrashed out, but Hicks and Gillett have been refused the right to appeal, meaning one hurdle has been cleared.

A statement released by Liverpool on their official website read: "We are delighted that the court has clarified the issue of board composition and has removed the uncertainty around the sale process.

"We will now be consulting with our lawyers and planning for a board meeting tonight (Wednesday). A further statement will be made in due course."

I'm glad Hicks and Gillett have been denied the right to appeal, will be interesting to see where it goes from here, there's still an awful lot of mess to clear up and I think the saga is far from over yet tbh. I wouldn't want any Yank with pots of money and no clue about football taking over my club, get rid of two and get another one in? Could be a case of same story different name.

“Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same” ~ Alan Ball
♥♥♥

Old 13-10-2010, 02:00 PM #1577
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

George Gillett and Tom Hicks look set to be on their way out of Anfield, with a High Court ruling giving Liverpool power to push through a takeover.

The American duo, who have co-owned the Reds since 2007, have been reluctantly forced to concede that they cannot block a £300million bid from New England Sports Ventures.

NESV, who own the Boston Red Sox and are fronted by John W Henry, saw a formal offer accepted by the Liverpool board against the wishes of Hicks and Gillett.

With that offer set to see them make a sizeable loss on their investment, the Reds' co-owners attempted to disrupt proceedings and retain their stranglehold on the Merseyside giants.

However, their efforts to remove high-ranking members of the board proved fruitless and it quickly became apparent that they were fighting a losing battle.

Taking the matter to the High Court was Hicks and Gillett's last chance to stave off a sale they did not sanction and ensure they continued to hold power at Anfield.

Those efforts have been in vain, though, as Mr Justice Floyd has given Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton the go-ahead to sell the club.
Debt

He sided in favour of the Royal Bank of Scotland, who are owed over £230m by Hicks and Gillett following their takeover.

The deadline for repayment on that loan was set at Friday, with fears raised that Liverpool could be docked nine points were the debt not settled and the club's holding company, Kop Holdings, were forced into administration.

That situation will be avoided should a takeover agreement with NESV now be put in place, with Henry making it clear that all outstanding debts will be cleared should he take charge.

Hicks and Gillett had asked a judge to delay the hearing of an application by RBS for mandatory orders but, at the bank's request, injunctions have been imposed on the two men requiring them to restore the original constitutions of the companies and managing directors.

While the way has now been paved for NESV to complete a takeover, there is still a chance that a rival bid from Singapore billionaire Peter Lim could be negotiated.

He has vowed to stump up £320million in cash to get the club back on an even keel, with £40m available for players in the January transfer window.

The saga could rumble on for some time yet, with a takeover deal now needing to be thrashed out, but Hicks and Gillett have been refused the right to appeal, meaning one hurdle has been cleared.

A statement released by Liverpool on their official website read: "We are delighted that the court has clarified the issue of board composition and has removed the uncertainty around the sale process.

"We will now be consulting with our lawyers and planning for a board meeting tonight (Wednesday). A further statement will be made in due course."

I'm glad Hicks and Gillett have been denied the right to appeal, will be interesting to see where it goes from here, there's still an awful lot of mess to clear up and I think the saga is far from over yet tbh. I wouldn't want any Yank with pots of money and no clue about football taking over my club, get rid of two and get another one in? Could be a case of same story different name.

♥♥♥

Old 13-10-2010, 05:33 PM #1578
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Was great news to wake up to this morning. Also that Torres is now expected to be fit to start on sunday

Board meeting is tonight at 8 to talk about the bids that have been received

Last edited by Locke.; 13-10-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 13-10-2010, 06:59 PM #1579

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

A scotland squad with 6 Rangers players in the starting 11 Ran the world's best team so close last night and it was a former celtic player to blame for Spain's winner

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Old 13-10-2010, 09:30 PM #1580
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:
BB17: Lateysha

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

England match was bloody crap, still at least we got a point but the performance again abysmal and there needs to be improvements.

Scotland can be proud of their display too against Spain..

Champions 2013! #20
Thanks for everything SAF- Legend!
Proud HHH fan- TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!
Old 14-10-2010, 02:05 PM #1581
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

Saga gets worse for Liverpool.

Bring on Saturday games.

Champions 2013! #20
Old 14-10-2010, 02:12 PM #1582
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

I've added Cristiano Ronaldo on Twitter LOL.

Champions 2013! #20
Old 14-10-2010, 02:43 PM #1583
Banned

Banned

Did you hear Rooney telling the press he hasn't been injured at all and has no idea why he was left out of the United squad that faced Everton and played in Europe? You don't do things like that when Ferguson is your boss and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's sold at this stage, which is something I wouldn't have been able to contemplate prior to the Word Cup.

Last edited by setanta; 14-10-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:11 PM #1584
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

This Liverpool thing is just a joke now....if it doesn't get sorted soon I can se NESV walking away from the deal. Peter Lim has already removed his bid so if this falls through they could be screwed. RBS could also still recall the loan, and I wouldn't blame them tbh with all this nonsense going on.

Liverpool are set to return to the High Court on Thursday to try and resolve the future of the ownership of the club.

The proposed £300million deal with New England Sports Ventures (NESV) was delayed on Wednesday after the club's current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett gained an injunction in a Texas court to stop the sale of the Anfield outfit.

Earlier on Wednesday a takeover looked to be on the horizon after the High Court in London ruled Hicks and Gillett could not prevent a change of ownership.

Now Liverpool's board are returning to the High Court at 2pm as they look to remove the restraining order obtained and they intend to complete the sale to NESV.
Confident

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton remains confident the takeover of the club will go through despite the last-ditch attempts to block the sale.

The whole process took another step closer on Wednesday evening when NESV supremo John W Henry, who also controls the Boston Red Sox, then arrived in London for talks with Liverpool's board

However, Hicks and Gillett have challenged the sale by obtaining a temporary restraining order to prevent the deal going through.

The American have described the prospective deal with NESV as an 'epic swindle' and are seeking $1.6billion (more than £1billion) damages against The Royal Bank of Scotland, Liverpool board members and NESV.

Keep the faith

Despite the latest twist in the saga, Broughton is optimistic that the sale will go through after accusing Hicks and Gillett of 'trying every trick in the book'.

"They are trying every trick in the book, but keep the faith," Broughton told Sky Sports News HD.

"We will keep trying. I haven't heard anything [this morning] I haven't had time."

Asked if he remained confident of doing the deal with NESV, Broughton added: "I always remain confident."

Henry is believed to be prepared to wait for the order to be lifted to conclude the takeover.

Mill Financial

Meanwhile, Hicks remains in control of his share of the club and has not sold out to Mill Financial.

Reports earlier in the day suggested the hedge fund, a branch of Washington-based Springfield Financial, had acquired the Texan's 50 per cent share having already taken ownership of his fellow co-owner Gillett's half.

However, a UK-based spokesman for Tom Hicks said Mill Financial had not acquired Hicks' stake.

♥♥♥

Old 14-10-2010, 03:11 PM #1585
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

This Liverpool thing is just a joke now....if it doesn't get sorted soon I can se NESV walking away from the deal. Peter Lim has already removed his bid so if this falls through they could be screwed. RBS could also still recall the loan, and I wouldn't blame them tbh with all this nonsense going on.

Liverpool are set to return to the High Court on Thursday to try and resolve the future of the ownership of the club.

The proposed £300million deal with New England Sports Ventures (NESV) was delayed on Wednesday after the club's current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett gained an injunction in a Texas court to stop the sale of the Anfield outfit.

Earlier on Wednesday a takeover looked to be on the horizon after the High Court in London ruled Hicks and Gillett could not prevent a change of ownership.

Now Liverpool's board are returning to the High Court at 2pm as they look to remove the restraining order obtained and they intend to complete the sale to NESV.
Confident

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton remains confident the takeover of the club will go through despite the last-ditch attempts to block the sale.

The whole process took another step closer on Wednesday evening when NESV supremo John W Henry, who also controls the Boston Red Sox, then arrived in London for talks with Liverpool's board

However, Hicks and Gillett have challenged the sale by obtaining a temporary restraining order to prevent the deal going through.

The American have described the prospective deal with NESV as an 'epic swindle' and are seeking $1.6billion (more than £1billion) damages against The Royal Bank of Scotland, Liverpool board members and NESV.

Keep the faith

Despite the latest twist in the saga, Broughton is optimistic that the sale will go through after accusing Hicks and Gillett of 'trying every trick in the book'.

"They are trying every trick in the book, but keep the faith," Broughton told Sky Sports News HD.

"We will keep trying. I haven't heard anything [this morning] I haven't had time."

Asked if he remained confident of doing the deal with NESV, Broughton added: "I always remain confident."

Henry is believed to be prepared to wait for the order to be lifted to conclude the takeover.

Mill Financial

Meanwhile, Hicks remains in control of his share of the club and has not sold out to Mill Financial.

Reports earlier in the day suggested the hedge fund, a branch of Washington-based Springfield Financial, had acquired the Texan's 50 per cent share having already taken ownership of his fellow co-owner Gillett's half.

However, a UK-based spokesman for Tom Hicks said Mill Financial had not acquired Hicks' stake.

♥♥♥

Old 14-10-2010, 03:17 PM #1586

It's possible that this adversity will produce a bunker mentality and actually be good for the team.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:18 PM #1587
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

I don't think so, several of the players have spoken out already about the detrimental effect it's having on morale etc within the team. Added to that fact that Torres doesn't really want to be there and it's not looking good tbh.

♥♥♥

Old 14-10-2010, 03:31 PM #1588
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
Did you hear Rooney telling the press he hasn't been injured at all and has no idea why he was left out of the United squad that faced Everton and played in Europe? You don't do things like that when Ferguson is your boss and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's sold at this stage, which is something I wouldn't have been able to contemplate prior to the Word Cup.
No I don't think Fergie will sell Rooney, however who knows as he has sold big name players before. Rooney being dropped from that match was for his own good, he needs to get his form back and sort out his private life!.

Champions 2013! #20
Old 14-10-2010, 03:39 PM #1589
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan1991 View Post
No I don't think Fergie will sell Rooney, however who knows as he has sold big name players before. Rooney being dropped from that match was for his own good, he needs to get his form back and sort out his private life!.
He's sold players for speaking out of turn before. It honestly wouldn't surprise me, especially if Rooney's form doesn't pick up.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:40 PM #1590
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

Rooney is nothing but a douche, sorry but he is.

He shouldn't even be in the England team and I wouldn't be surprised if his career goes into freefall tbh.

♥♥♥

Old 14-10-2010, 03:42 PM #1591

Bit soon to be panicking, they're only 5 points off 4th place. I'd love to see them implode though, it's only human nature to watch car crashes. Why would a billionaire buy Man City or QPR or Cardiff when the most illustrious club could be had? Liverpol won't be short of suitors, no matter what.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:45 PM #1592
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

I'm torn, because from a Merseyside football perspective, it would be awful to see one of the teams implode, Liverpool is such a proud footballing city with the greatest history in the game BUT...a lot of the supporters have such a glorified sense of self importance and arrogance that part of me can't help but have a little chuckle at their expense.

♥♥♥

Old 14-10-2010, 04:13 PM #1593
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
He's sold players for speaking out of turn before. It honestly wouldn't surprise me, especially if Rooney's form doesn't pick up.
I know that he has behaved like an idiot recently but can't see Fergie selling Wayne at all, it will all soon blow over...

Champions 2013! #20
Old 14-10-2010, 04:16 PM #1594

When you hear that NESV have only 40m to spend in the transfer window, it's not a lot. These prospective new owners are no Roman Abramaviches, and if that's the best they can do, Liverpool might be staring into a sustained spell of mid-table mediocrity, which is lingering death for a club like theirs.
Old 14-10-2010, 04:17 PM #1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan1991 View Post
I know that he has behaved like an idiot recently but can't see Fergie selling Wayne at all, it will all soon blow over...
I agree with Setanta. I think the whole affair is fishy.
Old 15-10-2010, 03:04 PM #1596
MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

MissKittyFantastico

Favourites:

You have got to be kidding me, Fellani injured now as well

David Moyes is without two key midfielders for the visit of Liverpool.

Marouane Fellaini and Steven Pienaar are both out but Phil Jagielka's hamstring injury isn't as bad as first thought.

The England defender is still likely to miss this Sunday's clash though.

Pienaar has a groin problem which he picked up ahead of the Birmingham game while Fellaini injured his hamstring on international duty with Belgium and is likely to be out for at least a month.

Everton are also without Victor Anichebe and Jack Rodwell for the derby clash, while the game is also likely to have come too soon for Louis Saha.

Moyes said of Fellaini's injury: "It's a very big blow because he is an important player for us. It's very disappointinng and a big blow."

And on Jagielka he added: "At the moment he is not going to be because he has got the hamstring injury he got with England.

"He's not as bad as we first thought but whether it comes to quick for him, that is the way it's looking at this present time."

Our luck going into derbys is just awful. For ****s sake.

♥♥♥

Old 15-10-2010, 07:42 PM #1597

One thing for sure is that an incredible amount of money is needed to rebuild that Liverpool side.
Old 15-10-2010, 07:52 PM #1598
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc09 View Post
One thing for sure is that an incredible amount of money is needed to rebuild that Liverpool side.
Definetly, however how long before fans lose patience with the new owners?..

Champions 2013! #20
Old 15-10-2010, 07:55 PM #1599

They shouldn't throw the 'Yanks out' banners away just yet.....
Old 15-10-2010, 08:49 PM #1600
TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

TIBB's RED DEVIL!!!

Favourites:

Looking forward to the buzz of footie Saturday again.

Champions 2013! #20
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic