Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

International Big Brother Big Brother around the world!

Old 10-03-2002, 12:26 PM #1
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

Default Parky calls Big Brother a \'freak show\'

Take a look at this, I got it from Ananova:
Parkinson labels Big Brother a 'freak show'

Michael Parkinson has labelled Celebrity Big Brother a "freak show" and said the famous housemates deserved everything they got.

The interviewer took a swipe at the likes of Vanessa Feltz and Anthea Turner for agreeing to take part in the reality TV show.

He is hosting BBC1's 2001 TV Moments next week and the episode where Feltz opened her heart to fellow housemate Jack Dee has been nominated.

Feltz, with a failed marriage and faltering TV career behind her, broke down in tears in front of the cameras.

"I must hand it to Jack Dee, his interview technique was brilliant, but on the whole, I don't like shows like Big Brother and you won't find me within 30,000 miles of one," Parkinson told What's On TV magazine.

"They're freak shows and people who agree to go on them deserve everything they get. Yes, one or two of the people who did Celebrity Big Brother genuinely wanted to raise money for charity, but some of them had another agenda.

"I think shows like that go beyond entertainment as they don't respect people's privacy."

Parkinson, who has previously criticised TV bosses for giving chat shows to the likes of Ian Wright and Melinda Messenger, added: "I don't like the way celebrity has invaded every area of TV.

"I'm disappointed with the way celebrities do the jobs that were once done by people like Alan Whicker and David Attenborough. Perhaps my views are a bit old fashioned - but there you go, that's how I feel."

Continuing in a less than complimentary vein, Parkinson said that actress June Brown - who plays EastEnders' Dot Cotton - is "a strange creature, like something out of a hobbit film".

Story filed: 01:29 Sunday 10th March 2002

What do you make of it? I think Parkinson is going a bit over the top here. Its only a bit of entertainment and people who go on there do it out of their own choice, no-one forces them to intrude their privacy.

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:46 PM #2

I like Michael Parkinson and have a lot of respect for him as an interviewer and chatshow host. He has been around in the industry for a very long time and is very well liked.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if I'm completely honest, I would have probably said that BB sounded rubbish before I started watching it, and it is definitely not the sort of show I would have expected to watch, let alone get so addicted to, a year or so ago.

It is however far more than a freak show and I think Parky has fallen into the trap that I myself have fallen into before of judging a show without really watching it, and that's a shame.

As much as I like BB I must admit that the celebrity one held very little interest for me at all and I probably agree with him that the majority of celebs that were on it were there purely to further their careers and may not have been fans of the show at all.

I agree with you wildchild that everyone who goes on the show does it out of choice and are therefore allowing us to invade their privacy, but I also think that this is exactly what Parkinson meant when he said that the people who go on them deserve everything they get.

I'll reserve my final judgement until I watch the show next week. The article doesn't say exactly when it is to be shown, does anyone know?

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:42 PM #3

He said at the end of his Saturday night show that he was hosting the 2001 highlights show next week instead of his usual show, so I presume it's on at the same time (around 10.20pm, I think).
peachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, calls, freak, parky, show