Notices

The X Factor 2010 [S7] Series 7 of ITV's music reality show, The X Factor, won by Matt Cardle. Runner up was Rebecca Ferguson. Third was One Direction.

Old 14-11-2010, 04:37 AM #51

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
As for your comments about me not appreciating the difference between a Tom Jones and an Aretha Franklin performance - that's extremely condescending, presumptuous and offensive - as are your comments about Oriental people.
It's your comments about 'oriental people' (a racist term now) but that shows me you are that type who puts people into categories. For you the Thai, Japanese are all: "Those orientals".

You do that same thing with Mary but its called 'Ageism'. "Those Old style'" songs.
Like the 'Orientals' all 'look the same to you' it is the same way with Marys 'old kind'.
The songs all 'sound the same to you'.

I'm not necessarily saying you are a racist (or always a racist) or always an Ageist,
but,
you have that 'mentality' and you go around pre-judging (prejudice) from your own viewpoint as if it were the superior and informed one. 'Ethnocentric' but for music.

Sorry, truth hurts sometimes.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 05:52 AM #52
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElProximo View Post
It's your comments about 'oriental people' (a racist term now) but that shows me you are that type who puts people into categories. For you the Thai, Japanese are all: "Those orientals".

You do that same thing with Mary but its called 'Ageism'. "Those Old style'" songs.
Like the 'Orientals' all 'look the same to you' it is the same way with Marys 'old kind'.
The songs all 'sound the same to you'.

I'm not necessarily saying you are a racist (or always a racist) or always an Ageist,
but,
you have that 'mentality' and you go around pre-judging (prejudice) from your own viewpoint as if it were the superior and informed one. 'Ethnocentric' but for music.

Sorry, truth hurts sometimes.
I've no idea how you've come to that conclusion, I've never been accused of being racist or ageist before, nor do I feel I've done anything to justify that label. The songs do not sound the same to me; the performances are visually the same to me - that has always been my point. I really don't understand where you're coming from, you're wrong.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 05:56 AM #53
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

WAT.
no WAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 09:48 AM #54

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
...I've never been accused of being racist or ageist before, nor do I feel I've done anything to justify that label.
It is the mentality. When you say 'Those Orientals' as if they were all just some same style and look the same to you.

With Mary you have that mentality "Oh.. those are all the same kind of song and she looks the same each time".

We all have this issue 'naturally' (so to speak) and for example how you see all the Japanese, Thai as 'Orientals' is something called 'race recognition' and is so common it is used in courtrooms and police witnessing procedure to gauge accuracy.
I may have the same 'race grouping' problem as you except I travel often and although British Caucasian - I can distinguish Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Thai and so on.
VERY different peoples.

Anyways,
with music I am faced with the similar problem as your racism and for example is the boy band.
Because that music is 'foreign' to my experience it 'appears' to me they sing and dance the same exact thing every week.
Same song.
Same dances.
It all looks and sounds the same and the same as 100 other boy bands. Couldn't tell you a difference.

The difference is that I am aware of this and I take responsibility and consider the 'other view'.
You don't.
You just assume your 'vision' is the correct one.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:41 AM #55
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie

Quote:
It is the mentality. When you say 'Those Orientals' as if they were all just some same style and look the same to you.

With Mary you have that mentality "Oh.. those are all the same kind of song and she looks the same each time".

We all have this issue 'naturally' (so to speak) and for example how you see all the Japanese, Thai as 'Orientals' is something called 'race recognition' and is so common it is used in courtrooms and police witnessing procedure to gauge accuracy.
I may have the same 'race grouping' problem as you except I travel often and although British Caucasian - I can distinguish Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Thai and so on.
VERY different peoples.

Anyways,
with music I am faced with the similar problem as your racism and for example is the boy band.
Because that music is 'foreign' to my experience it 'appears' to me they sing and dance the same exact thing every week.
Same song.
Same dances.
It all looks and sounds the same and the same as 100 other boy bands. Couldn't tell you a difference.

The difference is that I am aware of this and I take responsibility and consider the 'other view'.
You don't.
both Harry and Liam are really good singers
fruit_cake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 11:11 AM #56
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

No way! Ruth Lorenzo has been the best in the 'overs'. She was amazing!

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 02:53 PM #57
Z

Z

Quote:

VERY different peoples.

Anyways,
Same song.
Same dances.

You don't.
But it was you who generalised in the first place; not me! I can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai people because I have friends from those various backgrounds; they do not "all look the same to me." For whatever reason, you've decided that I'm racist and ageist without any apparent evidence and I'm not sure why you're continuing to throw this at me? You are extremely patronising if you think that I'm truly that ignorant; you don't know me at all. I am not an assuming person; I am very considerate when it comes to other people - and I cannot believe I'm trying to prove to someone that I'm not racist because he/she thinks I am, based entirely on me thinking that Mary Byrne isn't the best over 25/28 contestant that has been on the X Factor?! This is madness. I am not racist. I am not ageist. I've given my reasons for why I think Mary is not the best, the main reason being that she is a predictable performer. That is not a comment on her singing ability, nor is it a comment on anything other than why I think she is a predictable performer.
Old 14-11-2010, 05:59 PM #58

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

I don't really think it matters if they're predictable. She is still capable of performances which make your hairs stand on end (admittedly she hasn't done one for a while) but they're all predictable performers. We all know what they're going to do and whether they'll be any good or not when we see the song list

They all have their genres. Mary sings old ballads and theres nothing wrong with that, thats her comfort zone just like Rebecca's comfort zone is new soulful ballads but noone criticises her for that.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 12:26 AM #59

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I am not racist. I am not ageist. I've given my reasons for why I think Mary is not the best, the main reason being that she is a predictable performer. That is not a comment on her singing ability, nor is it a comment on anything other than why I think she is a predictable performer.
It is something of a 'non-complaint'.
Divers predictably stand at the top of the diving board to jump off.
Race Car drivers typically sit in their seats while steering to win.
President Obama predictably stands at a podium or in one spot to speak.

So yeah, I guess it is predictable Mary will stand before the microphone. Okay. I guess you are right about that.
She had the unique arm waving thing but I see she has some camera angles last weekend.
Strange sort of 'non-criticism criticism' you have here.

Again, not saying you are always a racist or fully a racist. I was just pointing out the similar 'ethnocentric' mentality you have with Mary and her age group.
But sure.. I bet you will tell me 'some of my best friends are in their 50s'. that is what ageists always say hehe
Old 15-11-2010, 12:29 AM #60
Z

Z

Quote:
It is something of a 'non-complaint'.
Divers predictably stand at the top of the diving board to jump off.
Race Car drivers typically sit in their seats while steering to win.
President Obama predictably stands at a podium or in one spot to speak.

So yeah, I guess it is predictable Mary will stand before the microphone. Okay. I guess you are right about that.
She had the unique arm waving thing but I see she has some camera angles last weekend.
Strange sort of 'non-criticism criticism' you have here.

Again, not saying you are always a racist or fully a racist. I was just pointing out the similar 'ethnocentric' mentality you have with Mary and her age group.
But sure.. I bet you will tell me 'some of my best friends are in their 50s'. that is what ageists always say hehe
I'm nineteen years old.

Well I'm glad you're not saying I am a racist; I'm still a bit perplexed as to where that comparison came from, but I can assure you I'm not racist - if anything I spend too much time obsessing over being politically correct .
Old 15-11-2010, 01:49 AM #61

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm nineteen years old.

Well I'm glad you're not saying I am a racist; I'm still a bit perplexed as to where that comparison came from, but I can assure you I'm not racist - if anything I spend too much time obsessing over being politically correct .
I'm not sure if you are a racist or not but referring to people as 'those orientals' and obsessing about being PC are definitely 'warning flags' someone is a racist. But hey.. you have to live with yourself.
Old 15-11-2010, 02:18 AM #62
Z

Z

Whatever dude, I know that I'm not - that's all that matters.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
25 or 28, mary, Mary Byrne