Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 26-02-2002, 09:11 PM #1

Default Will Young gay?

I have heard various rumours that Will is gay.

I don't know whether to belive it or not! He never talks about a significant other, male or female. he might just be a good lad, you never know!

If he is gay though, and the papers find out about it, they'll crucify him! Any excuse they can find to try and knock him down now would be enough for them!

Whatever, I still adore him
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-02-2002, 09:28 PM #2

I don't think it matters if Will is gay, it's not done Brian any harm, it's nobody's busisness any way
But your probaley right about the media it's a good job he was the best singer, or they'd be saying he did'nt say anything, so he would'nt lose any young girl votes he might get.
I hope they don't start on about him being gay or not l
Maggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-02-2002, 11:32 PM #3

probably......................
blinkinlovely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2002, 08:55 AM #4

If I had to categorise Will, it would be under 'Lovely Guy', followed by several 'Bless him's'!

I actually think even the press must see that he is first and foremost a genuine, straightforward person who is enormously popular, and they may be boxing clever for once.

It's absolutely irrelevant. He's talented, almost unbearably cute, and EVERYBODY'S mother would love him. Whatever his private life may or may not be, I am sure he is a gentleman who would treat any partner with kindness and courtesy.

An embittered 'kiss and tell' is therefore unlikely unless it's totally fabricated.

Megastars don't need labels!

Go Will!
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2002, 12:47 PM #5

Will is a lovely person that's all that should matter, and if he is gay...so what... good for him I say!!!?
Honey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2002, 01:25 PM #6
Administrator

Administrator

Very eloquently expressed reply as usual, ROB, with which I am in total agreement. However, I have just a very short answer to the original question:

What difference does it make?

Will has mentioned sharing a flat with a female friend, and the friend who went with him to Cuba was also female. Does that prove anything one way or the other?

As we know from past BB experience, rumours will now start to surface in all the unsavoury tabloids about the Pop Idol contestants. Just look at the most recent one about Gareth and Jordan!!!
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2002, 01:46 PM #7

I heard something along those lines ages ago, but it wasn't based on any actual evidence from his love life. It all revolved around his politeness, dress sense, and mannerisms. There is a slight air of campness (for want of a better word) about him, which is often linked to sexuality, but also very common in the posh (again for want of a better word). He could of course be both, but we know he is posh, so I'd attribute it to that unless told otherwise. I didn't really give it much thought, and don't plan to now either.

Even if Will is outed as being gay, or it just gets waved about by some of the press, I don't think it will have any significant impact on his popularity. After all, some of the press tried to use the posh, over privileged angle against him, but people didn't care because they liked him for the right reasons.

BTW one of the reasons Boy George slammed Pop Idol and its contestants is that he believes you can't be a proper pop-star unless you've strugled in the gutter and suffered before you make it big. As far as I can tell, the music business would rather you were gay than a nice middle-class lad.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 10:08 AM #8

This is from the News of the World today.

-------------------------------------------------

WHERE THERE'S A WILL

Pop Idol Will has never hid the truth about being gay and was determined not to live a lie now he's famous

I feel it's about time my fans knew the truth

POP Idol winner Will Young has fame, fortune, adulation—and the courage of a lion.

And last night, after hearing the news that his first record—the fastest selling debut single in history — had sold an astonishing 1.4 million copies, he opened up that brave heart to announce: "I feel it's time to tell my fans I'm gay."

In an amazingly frank exclusive interview with the News of the World he insisted: "It's totally no big deal, just part of who I am.

"For me it's normal and nothing to be ashamed about.

I'm gay and I'm comfortable with that.

"I really don't know what the fuss is about. I always try to be honest with myself and truthful with everyone.

"I'm sure this will not come as a surprise to many people, although I've aways been discreet and I'm not a campaigner when it comes to my sexuality."

Many of the biggest names in showbiz and public life are homosexual and feel forced to live a lie.

But last night Will — the former politics student who endeared himself to all Britain with his talent, guts and the widest of wide grins—won total support from friends and colleagues for his honesty.

"Some other media pressure has led me to talk about my private life," he told us. "I always try and be honest and true to myself and not to take life too seriously.

"My family and friends have known ever since I have. They've always been there for me. And my management have been fantastic. I had a long conversation with the boss Simon Fuller last night and told him about my decision to come out publicly.

"He was totally relaxed and supportive and left it up to me to decide when, or if, I wanted to talk about it. Now is that time.

"But I don't wish to talk about it any further—and I hope people will respect that. My private life is my private life." A Pop Iol source told us: "Will's had lots of speculation about his private life. He is gay but is very discreet and not some gay rights fanatic.

"He's only ever had two close relationships and is now really too busy to have a partner. He's totally focused on his career at the moment.

He wanted to come out in the News of the World because that's where this all began when saw the entry form in the paper.

"He's just happy that it's out and he can carry on working."

It is a bold move, for the pop record industry is still firmly targeted at selling to young female fans.

And business experts predict a £5million pay packet for Will in his first year alone. Will himself is well aware of his appeal.

In one early round of the 20-week TV talent contest he laughed off a jibe from Mr Nasty panellist Simon Cowell and hit back: "I get fan mail from six-year-old girls to 65-year-old aunties. It's amazing!"

And the nice guy from Hungerford, Berkshire, went on to win the big one—bagging an astonishing 4.6 million phone votes, 53.1 per cent of all those cast, plus a lucrative deal with record company BMG and 19

When his first record, the double A-side Anything Is Possible/Evergreen, was released on February 25 he notched up more than a million sales in one week and went straight into the chart at Number 1.

It even eclipsed the massive first week success of Band Aid's historic Do They Know It's Christmas? release in 1984.

But instant glory has not gone to his head.

Even when Will first walked off the Pop Idol stage after learning he'd beaten his rival, hot favourite Gareth Gates, it was the News of the World he saluted for printing the contest entry coupon that clinched him fame and fortune. "I wouldn't be here without you," he said.

Millions watched that final with Will and Gareth going head-to-head.

Both sang their hearts out with Evergreen and Anything Is Possible—the songs that have now made Will top of the pops.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would sell this many," admitted Will. "It's unbelievable."

On Wednesday Will and the rest of the Pop Idol stars hit the road, kicking off a nationwide tour at Wembley Arena.

And it's already a massive sell-out. "I can't wait to get back on stage and start performing again," said Will.

"I'm really looking forward to being out there with the fans. I'm determined to give them a great show.

"I just love being up there on stage—that's when I'm happiest!"

Will has always yearned to be singing star. Even at university in Exeter he won over fans with a role in the stage musical Oklahoma!

And last week Will vowed to get in shape for the big round-Britain trek by quitting the booze after a series of heavy celebration sessions.

"I just can't drink any more for a while," he confessed. "I've overdone it, especially after filming my video in Cuba. I went on a huge bender there, and I've been on a few more since."

But Will has one of the best organisations in the business to advise and support him.

He has pop svengali Simon Fuller—the man who created the Spice Girls—along with Nicki Chapman who co-manages the star. On the PR side he relies on the great team at Henry's House where Julian Henry and Charlotte Hickson have masterminded his media coverage along with BMG's Simon Cowell, Nigel Sweeney and Sonny Takhar.

A close friend said: "Will's over the moon about the success but he doesn't let it go to his head.

"He knows that it's easy to get carried away and he wants to be in this business for a long time. And believe me he will be."

-------------------------------------------------

To read the article online CLICK HERE.

To read a similar article in the Sunday Mirror CLICK HERE.

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:21 PM #9
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

I think deep down I always knew he was gay but it is no big deal if he is or isnt. I have a lot of respect for him coming out cause the media can be horrible in situations like this. I still love him just as much as I did before!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 12:35 PM #10

That's exactly what I feel as well wildchild.

Well done to Will for having the courage to say now. I don't think it will make a huge difference to how most people view him and I do think that by admitting to it so early on in his career is a good move and a very brave thing to do on his part.

Good on you Will. We all still think you're great.

Old 10-03-2002, 07:40 PM #11

I think he's definitely done this at the right time, beat the papers to their scoop!

It doesn't matter a jot whether he likes men or women!

But I'm glad he's come out now and not waited for the papers to try and destroy him.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:29 PM #12
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Some of the talk on the Channel 4 Reach forum is that his career is down the pan because he has been outed, and that if it was known beforehand he would not have won pop idol.

That argument about his success on Pop Idol is hard to guage because of what happened on BB2, the only homosexual to win a Big Brother.

There will be a lot of broken hearts tonight...
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:34 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks
There will be a lot of broken hearts tonight...

I disagree, Will was inaccessible before and now he's just more inaccessible!

Doesn't stop me dreaming though
Old 10-03-2002, 09:40 PM #14

I like Will, and voted for him each week, because he has a lovely personality, he's charming, personable, polite and, above all, is a great singer.

Nothing has changed.
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:47 PM #15

Well said Susie.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:58 PM #16
Administrator

Administrator

Ditto, LEE.

I agree totally, susieq.

Even since the final 50 I have voted for Will on the basis of his fantastic singing voice and his endearing personality.

I couldn't care less if he'd announced that he was from Mars. I'm just glad that he has had the chance to make the announcement himself and gained the respect of people for doing this, rather than the taboids digging around for proof so that they could hit us with a tacky 'exclusive' outing.

Well done, Will - you're still a superstar in my eyes.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 08:45 AM #17

I refer back to my earlier posting. I just look at Will and he makes me feel better, more cheerful and optimistic, and then, he opens his mouth to sing, and it just gets better!

Can't wait for his album, some sweet soul classics given the Will Young treatment. Let's just concentrate on what matters, and listen to the boy flying high! I love to see the expression on his face when he goes off into his own inimitable interpretations of the numbers he has covered. He builds up slowly, keeps you waiting a few moments, and then, off he goes! Sublime! Fantastic! Who could ask for more?
Old 11-03-2002, 04:35 PM #18
WILDCHILD2K1

WILDCHILD2K1

I am so angry!! I was just watching 'Richard and Judy' (love it) and there was a huge debate going on between three men, one of whom believes Wills career is now down the pan and two of who believe he will be just as successful. This man was saying the next single will counter every thing, if it sells less, it will prove that Will is not as popular now he is gay - obviously it will sell less cause that single has been bought out of a phonomanan (cant spell it!) How shallow can you get? I think society has changed so much and girls can get over that and just recognise that he has a fab voice.
Makes me so mad!!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 05:29 PM #19

I saw a bit of R&J. The men were Max Clifford, the publicist, who siad it will make a little bit of difference, and might have been the edge between him winning and losing pop idol, Someone Boyd, from Heat, who thought he would be fine and no-one would mind in the least (I think), and A N Other ? who.

The phone vote result was pretty convincing. 82% thought it would make no difference at all!
Old 11-03-2002, 10:41 PM #20

Quote:
The phone vote result was pretty convincing. 82% thought it would make no difference at all!
Good - I'm so glad the great British public has used their common sense. This guy is a great singer, and people bought his music because of his voice. At least the majority of people agree with that and will, hopefully, continue to support Will and buy his music.

To paraphrase a line from a favourite film of mine "Alright Britain, I'm proud of you!"
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:33 AM #21

I adore Brian and I have always known he is gay as we all have, it makes no difference to me whatsoever! I think if a person appeals to you then that's it..they appeal to you full stop. If people are now going to dislike or go off Will just because he has chosen to come out to everyone, then they must be quite shallow. Will is talented, with a unique singing voice, personality and overall charm. No one asked him straight out and why should they, but what I am trying to say is that he didn't make a conscious effort to hide anything either. Will appeals to a wide audience and I am sure that being gay will not make the slightest difference to them supporting him and his future career. People like Brian have done so much for gay people, he is well liked and has made it more acceptable to be open about who he is since proving that being gay doesn't stop people voting in their millions to make him the most popular person in a game show! I just hope that in the future as new stars are made that they are brave enough to say that they are gay in the beginning. After all I am sure that most people are intellingent enough to say...'Ok, so that person is gay...cool...now do I like their music, acting, tv presenting or whatever and the person they come across as....yes!...well that is all that matters.
Oh and by the way I say all the above as a Gareth fan. I just think that Will deserves support!

Honey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
gay, young