Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM #1
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Default Ben Drew (AKA Plan B) Cast In Sweeney Remake

Ben Drew has been cast in Vertigo Films' upcoming remake of The Sweeney.

The project, to be directed by Nick Love (The Firm), will see Drew (Plan B) play George Carter alongside Winstone's Jack Reagan.

Based on the popular '70s ITV show starring John Thaw and Dennis Waterman, The Sweeney centres on detectives in the London Flying Squad. Love and Trainspotting writer John Hodge's script brings the action into the present day.

Love said of Drew's casting: "I'm very excited about Ben playing Carter - he brings an intelligence and sensitivity that is crucial for The Sweeney. Ben is also one of the most promising and multi-talented young performers around. For me, Ray and Ben are the ultimate casting for a character driven action thriller set in London today."

Drew admitted that winning the part is a "dream come true" as Winstone is one of his "favourite British actors of all time".

Winstone added: "I cant wait to work with Nick Love on The Sweeney, it was an inspired casting to have Ben Drew as George Carter, I'm a huge fan of his."

Drew, who scooped the 'British Male Solo Artist' Brit award at this year's ceremony, has appeared in the movies Adulthood, Harry Brown and 4.3.2.1.. He is currently working on his directorial debut Ill Manors.

A Sweeney film had been in the works as recently as last year with Winstone, Michael Fassbender and Ashley Walters among the cast, but the project fell apart due to financial issues.

Production on The Sweeney will commence this Autumn.

Source: DS

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aka, ben, cast, drew, plan, remake, sweeney