Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

(Misc) Miscellaneous chat about Big Brother contestants from different series appearing together.

Old 17-03-2002, 12:06 PM #1

Default BBDS IDENTIFIED - No Surprise Says SUN! not...

No the Sun didn't BUT I DID!

I'm sure we all recognise that sinking feeling when BB1 finished. Some commentators hypothisised that there was a stange effect on those fans who had watched Big Brother. Don't we know it ....... look at us all! I'm certainly not the only one who has had pangs when the BB website was shutdown, verging on anger and frustration that we can no longer watch the Housemates 24/7. This extends to wanting to buy the furniture and regalia etc. on an ongoing basis.

On "another" forum I have witnessed quite aggressive exchanges over things we never intended, I don't suppose, a forum to encompass. I suspect this is because we quite literally cannot wait for it to start. Its killing me!!!!

One commentator, quite rightly I think, put this all down to a subliminal desire to bond with what can almost be called an extension of our own family. How true!

The excitement I felt with the impending BB2 was palpable. Thats how I justified buying a laptop especially to watch BB2 as I felt a bit sad watching the screen late at night in my little office at home. At least I was then able to do 'other less important things' whilst keeping an eye on the 'children'. And its all happening again!

This then IS what I identify as "Big Brother Deprivation Syndrome" or BBDS for short.

Oh and if you take this seriously, BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.........the nice young men in their clean white coats are coming to take you away ho ho ha ha to the funny farm ...................
splodge0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-03-2002, 08:49 PM #2

Lots of people reading......no comments. I was serious you know.:colo ur::colour :
:c olour::col our:
Old 17-03-2002, 08:52 PM #3
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

We always gets lots of readers on the board!

You like this smiley dont you!

LOL

Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-03-2002, 09:34 PM #4

Yep Mark, there's something about it that makes me pmsl !!! You can add some more anytime you feel like it..........
: spin2::s pin2::sp in2:
:c olour::col our:
Old 17-03-2002, 10:02 PM #5

I love them all Mark and any new ones would be lovley
Maggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2002, 09:25 AM #6
Administrator

Administrator

Give us a chance, splodge!

Some of us who are of more 'mature' years need a bit of time to cogitate over our responses - we just can't be rushed!

Strangely, I didn't have a sinking feeling when BB1 finished. I did watch it, but not religiously, and although I was pleased when Craig won, that for me was the end of my involvement with the housemates. I wasn't really interested in what they did after Big Brother.

I did look forward with eager anticipation to BB2 and, boy, I wasn't disappointed. I immediately became engrossed in the characters and couldn't bear to miss tuning in to see what they were all up to. Perhaps the E4 coverage helped us to get to know the BB2 housemates a lot better. In any event, I had a genuine interest in following up what the housemates were doing once the programme had finished - and we were left high and dry by the official site, weren't we?

So ........ onto BB3. Part of me thinks it couldn't possibly be as good as BB2 but, then again, you never know! Time will tell!!

As for the men in white coats coming to take me away - they wouldn't dare do that to a Forum Administrator .............. would they?
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2002, 12:43 PM #7

I never really watched BB1. I saw a couple of programs but it never really grabbed me at all.

BB2 was a different matter completely and right from the very start I got hooked. I think that, for me, it definitely was mainly the E4 converage that caught me and I'm not sure whether I'd have got into it half as much if there had only been the Channel Four shows.

When you have E4 coverage on all day you're living it with them and I think this is also why it was so difficult to 'leave it behind' when BB2 finished. The housemates had been so much a part of our daily lives for 9 weeks that it seemed odd not having them around, just as if a very good friend had suddenly moved away.

I think I am definitely a BBDS sufferer, but I hope that our little board here helps to provide some sort of treatment for those similarly afflicted in the run up to BB3.

Quote:
As for the men in white coats coming to take me away - they wouldn't dare do that to a Forum Administrator
Let's stick together Kaz, just in case!!

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2002, 06:37 PM #8

I was wandering around like a lost soul until I found TBB and TIBB. I would like to say a HUGE thankyou to all the absolutely wonderful people on this site for the help I have received in making my recovery from BBDS and, especially, to 2 very special people (they know who they are).
Mairi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2002, 10:32 AM #9

How very true all that is, and I didn't even want to watch BB2!

I became absolutely enthralled with all of it, and especially, of course, with the 'love thang'. As the series progressed, I started work earlier to get home in time to see a little E4 each afternoon, and when the series ended I was floundering, 'totally!' -so anxious about what would happen, and eager to hear any news at all. Although newspapers scoffed at the need for helplines, I couldn't ridicule them because deep down I knew I wasn't that far away from needing one myself!

This was no problem at first, we were on information and disinformation overload. It was everywhere you looked. At work each morning, I would saunter to the newsagents in the hospital entrance and rifle the tabloids and magazines for information. I was frustrated when it started to tail off, but there were at least the few tapes I had kept to watch.

I was a bit concerned that I, as a so- called sane, rational and reasonably intelligent person, was so obsessed with the BB2 'two'. When, in September, I went on holiday. I was actually relieved that there would be no way I could reinforce the obsession.

I thought, great, this will cure me. It was the break with it all I needed. Whilst touring the classical sites of Greece, I was transfixed by the wonder of it all, and it did help a lot. It was so distant, and I was surrounded by things that really WERE amazing, absolutely unbelievable and triple cool. I was 'totally' in my little element.

During the tour (not during the war, as Uncle Albert would say!), OH and I became friendly with a lovely couple, and he thought it would be hilarious to regale them with details of my Helen and Paul fixation. This backfired somewhat, because they had both been completely fascinated by it themselves, and we subsequently talked for hours and hours about it, amongst the Corinthian columns, in the crumbling Parthenon, and on the majestic slopes of Mount Olympus.

I passed through Lion Gate, scaled the hills to Agamemmnon's palace, and basked in the heat and the profound sense of timelessness around me. I was acutely aware in that moment of my own mortality, and my complete insignificance in time and space. It didn't matter, in fact is was strangely comforting. I had acheived another of my life's ambitions just to be there, and I felt privileged.

I closed my eyes, and enjoyed the moment, eventually becaming vaguely aware of my new friend sitting down beside me.

'This is wonderful isn't it?' I remarked.
'Mmmm, yes, fantastic', she replied. 'I was wondering though, do you think that Helen did the right thing, taking that risk, throwing caution completely to the wind?'

I opened my eyes and mentally trawled through my limited knowledge of the woman behind the face that launched a thousand ships, Troy, Paris, and all of that, and said, 'Well, maybe not, not if she had considered the enormous repercussions, the conflict, the bloodshed......'. Only then did I realise by the puzzled look on her face that she was referring to our own very contemporary, domestic menage a trois!

I have to admit that the situation did then encroach increasingly into my ancient reverie. I even contemplated asking the oracle at Delphi for a forecast, but I got a grip of myself and put it down to the altitude, the heat, and the effects of toiling up the mountain!

After our return home, information soon fizzled out, and in desperation I had a little look on the internet and found TBB, and a few other sites. Perhaps it would have been better if I hadn't, because I would have been 'cured' long ago. My long period at home has compunded it and as you all know, I have spent far, far too long on the net, too long writing daft stories, and too long watching a growing library of videos.

At some time in the future I will shudder with embarassment about this I imagine, but at this moment, I have no regrets whatsoever.

I am almost completely back to normal - well, normal for me, and I have enjoyed talking to everyone so very much. Without any doubt the best thing about it all has been making some wonderful friends, and even meeting some of them. I am sure we will stay in touch for a long time to come.

I suppose I should be grateful that a whole new BB is coming along, because it needs to, but I really don't want the characters to supplant the inmates of BB2. I fear they will, almost immediately, as they supplanted Craig, Darren and co. last year.

One thing I do know however, is that they will have to be something really special to put 'falling in love on national TV' into the shade. I don't think that's going to happen again, and even if it did, we'd be so suspicious about it all. The characters wouldn't have that mixture of naivety, sillyness, and helplessness to fight the developing sexual tension and natural chemistry between them.

The sites have been great, and I hope they still will be. I've lost heart with one of them, tired of the need to defend characters who are still being treated as if they were arch villians, when they were just confused and overwhelmed and living on their wits against all the odds.

I love this site because it has developed into something which is lively and fun, and there is a real participation by the team in charge.

Let's hope it stays this way when the new series starts, when alliances are formed, and when rivalry and jealousy rears it's ugly head again.

Meanwhile dear reader, I must admit to you, that the wonderful karaoke queen, the purveyor of taping skills par excellence, the fortunate wife of velvet voiced Lionel Richie soundalike that is DISCOLADY has dispatched to me yet another collection of as yet unseen gems.

What joy I felt this very morn when I heard the reassuringly substantial thud of the jiffy envelope hitting the hall carpet!

God is in his heaven, all's right with the world, and I'm going down to watch Big Brother!

Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2002, 01:47 PM #10

R O B, I hav'nt missed BB 2 yet , then again I see them everyday

, What WILL I DO, WHEN I FINISH THE TAPING
HELP
Maggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2002, 04:04 PM #11

Simple.......Don't STOP............lol:c olour:
:c olour::lov e:
Old 19-03-2002, 07:23 PM #12

I'm really looking forward to BB3, it's been miserable without Big Brother on the tv ( with only the gorgeous Will to satisfy me!!!!!)

But I get a horrible feeling that BB3 won't live up to BB2, how could it?

Like ROB said, what could surpass two people falling in love on national tv?

I suppose we might get what Josh promised this time round, but is that what we really want? We loved the romance of Helen and Paul, the sweet way they interacted in the house. We don't want to see rumpy pumpy under the bed clothes, we want the mystery!!!!!
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2002, 07:29 PM #13
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

I said that BB2 would never be as good as BB1 ...... It seems I was wrong!

Roll on BB3

Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bbds, identified, sun, surprise