Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 16-09-2011, 01:04 PM #151

Favourites (more):
UBB: JohnMc
BB11: John James

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
Hi Tmi !!

That's fine...if there is some psychological reason for the addiction. But that is not the case for all fat/obese people.

Those who are fat / obsese get that way, not through addiction: but down to eating too much of the wrong things, and not enough exercise.

Pretending that being fat and obese people get that way due to only an addiction is complete denial of the truth: MOST fat people are fat due consuming more calories than they burn.

We've (you and I) have had this convo many times over and I know it's one that we end up agreeing to disagree.

To Vladimir - excellent job and well done indeed. You did something about it and all credit to you for that.
Mid it is a vicious circle I suppose, I have weight issues I have no excuse. Then on the other hand I cant understand alcoholics or drug users addiction, I think maybe if you have had demons with whatever vice you will have empathy with, if you havent had an addiction of sorts it perhaps harder to empthaise if that make sense, I understand your arguement though, that is what called debate willing to listen to the otherside of the of the arguement. I do apologise for the spelling mistakes.
tmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 02:03 PM #152
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
Mid it is a vicious circle I suppose, I have weight issues I have no excuse. Then on the other hand I cant understand alcoholics or drug users addiction, I think maybe if you have had demons with whatever vice you will have empathy with, if you havent had an addiction of sorts it perhaps harder to empthaise if that make sense, I understand your arguement though, that is what called debate willing to listen to the otherside of the of the arguement. I do apologise for the spelling mistakes.
Both you and I know the reason for any weight issues you have - and as far as I recall and understood= the reasons were not due to you having no excuse but other reasons which I will not mention here as it is very personal to you.

If the reasons are not of an addictive nature - that's a different ball game altogether - falling into the medical category.

You say that weight gain can be an addiction, but cannot afford that same reasoning or sympathy that you apply to food addiction to those with other addictions?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You also said:-

Quote:
As for Frank Skinner didnt he have his own addiction demons, pot and kettle spring to mind.
Again, he was speaking about fat people who consume more calories than they burn up, who have no real desire to give a damn - not people with addictions. What that has to do with your reference above, is beyond me.

The majority of overweight people are overweight because they eat too much / eat the wrong things and exercise too little.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 10:22 PM #153

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
Both you and I know the reason for any weight issues you have - and as far as I recall and understood= the reasons were not due to you having no excuse but other reasons which I will not mention here as it is very personal to you.

If the reasons are not of an addictive nature - that's a different ball game altogether - falling into the medical category.

You say that weight gain can be an addiction, but cannot afford that same reasoning or sympathy that you apply to food addiction to those with other addictions?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You also said:-

Again, he was speaking about fat people who consume more calories than they burn up, who have no real desire to give a damn - not people with addictions. What that has to do with your reference above, is beyond me.

The majority of overweight people are overweight because they eat too much / eat the wrong things and exercise too little.
I suppose I cant argue with the latter of your statement. I will just say the same story has before a woman had gastric band and she lost a shed load of weight but then because she was an addict she took up drinking and became a alcoholic. I think the reason behind addictions should be cured. Most people turn to food as a comfort, a bit like someone sucking they thumb, (what do you say to them cut of your thumb). My rule is if I dont want to eat crap dont buy it ,end of. I suppose everyone has some downfall, whether it be smoking, drinking , eating, they all can be cured with the right amount of will power and attainment, have you give up the fags Mid Little story I will share, a woman standing outside a hospital on the phone to a relative, she said ' yes they told me I had a bad asmatha attack and needed to give up the fags, ( she was smoking one at the time) but I told them I cant.' There is no such word has cant , is dont want to more like. A bit like a person who over indulges they know its wrong but cant, (in other words wont) stop doing it. I think I will take my leave now before I get thrown out. I know Im doing a u turn on my own arguement, just thought if people like having a cake two many or a fag too many is not they cant but wont stop it. People have choices and they choice to overeat yet some who do overeat have an addiction from some emotional or physical problems. Hey Mid I cant blame my medial problems on my eating it is my fault I like junk food. I have adjusted my bad habits and only allow to happen occasionally rather than a frequent occasion.

Last edited by tmi; 17-09-2011 at 10:37 PM.
tmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fat, frank, joke, people, skinner