Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here 2012 Discuss series 12 of ITV's jungle reality, shown November 2012, which was won by Charlie Brooks.

Old 27-11-2012, 09:13 AM #1

Lightbulb Nadine Dorries told to 'rebuild bridges' in the Commons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20506136

Quote:
On Tuesday morning, Conservative MP Nadine Dorries will meet her Chief Whip Sir George Young.

She will explain why she went off to Australia to take part in a reality TV show that involved her eating grubs. He will explain why he suspended her from the parliamentary party as a result.

But the fate of Ms Dorries will not lie in the hands of the elegant baronet brought out of retirement to replace Andrew Mitchell.

No, the question of Ms Dorries' future as a Conservative at Westminster will depend on a single slip of paper.

I am told that if any Conservative MP wishes to take an hour or day or two away from Parliament, they have to fill out a form. It is issued by the whips' office and is entitled "application for authorised absence".

MPs say how long they want to be away and tick a box to explain why.

The five options are: government front bench work, constituency engagement, parliamentary activity, campaigning activity and personal/other.

There is a blank space to fill in the precise details.

The document is then signed and handed in to the pairing whip and either accepted or rejected.

If the slip of paper is accepted, the MP is then "slipped" and allowed out.

The information is then typed into the whips' office computer so that at any time they know where MPs are and what kind of vote they can turn out.

The point is this:

1.It does not matter whether or not Andrew Mitchell gave some kind of oral permission to Ms Dorries to take some time away, and accounts of who said what to whom are disputed. The bottom line is that this is not a matter for the chief whip. It is an issue that is dealt with by the pairing whip.

2.Either Ms Dorries has her "slip" or she does not. If she has it, she is home free. If she does not, then it would be surprising for her to be welcomed back into the Tory parliamentary fold. The precedent would be poor for discipline as Conservative MPs would ask why they should follow the rules if others do not and get away with it.

In other words, there is a system. Labour have a similar one.

There would be chaos without one. The whips would never remember who had said what to whom about who could be where.

In the old days, a slip of paper authorising absence was known as a chit.

If Nadine Dorries does not have a chit, she will be in it up to her neck.
the mind boggles .....

Last edited by Omah; 28-11-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 10:46 AM #2

Yes Back in England Now
away to tell her story.

Last edited by arista; 27-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 12:10 AM #3

Default Nadine Dorries slams MP who took time off for open heart surgery

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-steve-1459845

Quote:
I'm A Celebrity Tory Nadine Dorries today attacked a fellow MP for taking time off for open heart surgery.

Ms Dorries slammed Steve McCabe’s attendance record shortly after she returned from Australia where she took part in I’m A Celebrity.

The Tory backbencher first took to Twitter to attack Mr McCabe, the MP for Birmingham Selly Oak, on Monday.

“Labour MP Steve McCabe who reported me to Standards Commissioner for time in jungle during half term has attendance record of just 63% !!” she wrote.

Mr McCabe, who worked from his sick bed, replied: “Imagine equating time off for open heart surgery with a paid for holiday on a reality TV show.

"Says all we need to know.”

But Ms Dorries, who was first to be dumped out of the jungle, refused to back down even after Mr McCabe pointed out he had been seriously ill.

Shameless Ms Dorries hit back: “I think with your 63% attendance record, you should be quiet. Obviously been taking a few holidays of your own!”

Today Mr McCabe, who has now fully recovered, said: “The facts speak for themselves – she’s known as Mad Nad”.
Dorries the diplomat .....
Old 28-11-2012, 12:18 AM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Oh the jungle drums are signalling, discredit...discredit....
Sorry Nadine, seems your card is marked best start packing.
Old 28-11-2012, 12:18 AM #5

Lightbulb Nadine Dorries told to 'rebuild bridges' in the Commons

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2DTYI4Fct

Quote:
Nadine Dorries will not be reinstated as a Tory MP unless she apologises for taking part in I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here, it emerged today.

The Mid Bedfordshire MP was summoned to a meeting with Conservative Chief Whip Sir George Young where she was expected to explain her decision to abandon Parliament for the Australian jungle.

She has been told to ‘rebuild bridges’ with angry colleagues, but party insiders say there is little prospect of her returning to the Conservative benches any time soon.

After the 15-minute chat, Ms Dorries said she was confident of having the Tory whip restored, and claimed being an MP was not a job but a 'life choice.

David Cameron is understood to be backing Sir George in insisting that if she fails to show any remorse for taking part in the reality TV she will not have the party whip restored.
No bridge, no whip .....

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
chit, dorries, fate, nadine, rests