Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB 1 - 5 Celebrity Big Brother series 1 to 5 from 2001-2008.

Old 18-01-2007, 12:12 PM #1

Default \"Goody not Racist\"- Says Spokesperson

Big Brother Row: 'Goody's Not A Racist'
Thursday January 18, 01:00 PM

Jade Goody's spokeswoman has insisted the Celebrity Big Brother contestant's behaviour is not racist after another blazing row on the show. Complaints have now reached 30,000, including 3,000 to channel 4, after accusations that an Indian actress Shilpa Shetty was suffering bigoted abuse.
During last night's episode, Goody launched a foul-mouthed tirade against the Bollywood star.

But Jade's spokeswoman said: "I have not heard Jade say anything that could be interpreted as a racist

Advertisement

remark.
"I am not denying the fact that it appears Jade dislikes Shilpa, but I don't believe her race is the reason."

Complaints have flooded in since Jade Goody, her mother Jackiey Budden and boyfriend Jack Tweed; model Danielle Lloyd and former S Club singer Jo O'Meara allegedly began bullying the 31-year-old Indian star.

Goody had told the actress: "You need a day in the slums. (Swearing) go in your community and go to all those people who look up to you and be real. You (swearing) fake."

Lloyd later said Shetty should "(Swearing) off home", adding: "She can't even speak English properly."

After the argument, an upset Shilpa complained for the first time that she was the victim of racist bullying.

Channel 4 continues to insist there has been "no overt racial abuse or racist behaviour" on the show.

Meanwhile, the broadcaster is enjoying a large jump in viewing figures, with 5.7 million people watching it last night - it slumped to 2.7 million on January 13.

Chancellor Gordon Brown insisted Britain and India are not divided over the race row, after protesters in the sub continent burned effigies of the show's organisers.

He said: "India and Britain are bound by shared values that support fairness and tolerance. We are against any form of racism or intolerance."
Leona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:16 PM #2

Well, Its true. She isnt.
The only slightly raceist comment i have heard made was from Danielle.
I agree with the spokesperson - "I am not denying the fact that it appears Jade dislikes Shilpa, but I don't believe her race is the reason."
Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:35 PM #3

Jade 'go back to the slums' Goody.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:37 PM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by James
You're taking out of context. She got annoyed (to say the least) at Shilpa attitude in thinking that she's "above" others and therefore meant that she should see what life is really like when you don't have 20 servants or whatever.
Edwin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:38 PM #5

It may not be racist - but it is definitely inexcusable. I think Jade would probably have hit Shilpa last night if Jermaine had not intervened.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:40 PM #6

Favourites:
BB12: Anton
X Factor 2011: The Risk

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
It may not be racist - but it is definitely inexcusable. I think Jade would probably have hit Shilpa last night if Jermaine had not intervened.
Yeah i agree, Jade looked like she wanted to hit her i don't think it's racism but it's bullying which is just as bad IMO.
Jay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:46 PM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Quote:
Yeah i agree, Jade looked like she wanted to hit her i don't think it's racism but it's bullying which is just as bad IMO.
Yes I agree.. well kind of. They were both arguing and Shilpa gave as good as she could but Jade went too far.
Old 18-01-2007, 12:51 PM #8
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
Quote:
You're taking out of context. She got annoyed (to say the least) at Shilpa attitude in thinking that she's "above" others and therefore meant that she should see what life is really like when you don't have 20 servants or whatever.
But the comment has no relevance. Jade never lived in a slum like she loves to pretend. Shilpa never lived in a palace like Jade loves to pretend.

Jade is just concocting an image to try and preach working class values to Shilpa but Shilpa knows far more about true moral values than Jade ever will. Its pathetic.
The_Hitman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:51 PM #9
Banned

Banned

Oh yeah comon, and your all binge drinking white brits, trying to keep your race above the rest.

Im white and iv heard how racism is so natural, in pubs and in the offices

Imagine if it was Jermain instead of Shilpa. Shes different Colour, class and culture. AND so were the black people when they came to britain.
rex3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:53 PM #10

The girl who took Danielles miss world crown, and Derek Laud was just on ITV news, Derek doesn't believe it's racism atall,he basically said, people who have suffered racism, know that what's going on in the house at the moment, is just a clash of personalities, not racism.. But the Miss World winner insisted that she though it was. she said " I trhought we'd got past all that"
Nowhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:54 PM #11

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Quote:
Yes I agree.. well kind of. They were both arguing and Shilpa gave as good as she could but Jade went too far.
The argument last night was stupid though over oxo cubes, but Jade went abit over the top i think, im glad Shilpa stuck up for herself though after whats gone on.
Jay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:54 PM #12
Banned

Banned

Oh yeah every one breathes a sigh of relief becuase he said it
Old 18-01-2007, 12:57 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Nowhere
The girl who took Danielles miss world crown, and Derek Laud was just on ITV news, Derek doesn't believe it's racism atall,he basically said, people who have suffered racism, know that what's going on in the house at the moment, is just a clash of personalities, not racism.. But the Miss World winner insisted that she though it was. she said " I trhought we'd got past all that"
She's ignorant then. Maybe there isn't racism in the places she goes to, but there is certainly still racism alive in Britain today.

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Hitman
But the comment has no relevance. Jade never lived in a slum like she loves to pretend. Shilpa never lived in a palace like Jade loves to pretend.

Jade is just concocting an image to try and preach working class values to Shilpa but Shilpa knows far more about true moral values than Jade ever will. Its pathetic.
She never said she lived in a slum. She meant that she doesn't know what the "real world" is like.

Of it's open to interpretation, but people will obviously put their pseudo-racism spin on it anytime.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:01 PM #14

Quote:
Originally posted by rex3
Oh yeah comon, and your all binge drinking white brits, trying to keep your race above the rest.
Dont stereotype please, we're not all like that. In your journey to make people understand why you believe, that it is racism in the house, you're actually making quite racist statements yourself. You can give your opinion, without being derogitory about other people.

On a side note, Carphone Warehouse are pulling their sponsership, not sure if they're going to wait until this series finishes, or right away.
Nowhere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:03 PM #15
Banned

Banned

Quote:

She never said she lived in a slum. She meant that she doesn't know what the "real world" is like.

Of it's open to interpretation, but people will obviously put their pseudo-racism spin on it anytime.
So now you want to choose what Jade means by the things she says. Why dont you just make up whatever you want.

Jade brought up the term 'slums', because Jade likes to give off this image that she is 'from the slums' and she has paid her dues and is an utter triumph in life.

You go on to claim Jade was merely telling Shilpa to understand what the 'real world' is like, so, ill just leave you to weigh up........hard working, understanding, world wide superstar....or.....ignorant reality tv star.
The_Hitman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:04 PM #16

I've previously described it as 'cultural ignorance'.

But I think the word 'slums' reminded me of the awful things Jackiey said and also with Danielle's 'F off back home' now.

I don't know. Someone said if this had all happened in football or another sport we would definitely describe it as racism. In fact there was an incident the other day where a South African cricketer was heard calling Pakistani fans 'animals who should be in a zoo' and was charged with racism, and you think back to how Shilpa has been compared to animals. It just seems suspicious.

Maybe these people in BB just don't heard the words that they say or consider the consequences of saying them because they are ignorant. But I don't know.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:07 PM #17

Quote:

But I think the word 'slums' reminded me of the awful things Jackiey said and also with Danielle's 'F off back home' now.

I don't know. Someone said if this had all happened in football or another sport we would definitely describe it as racism. In fact there was an incident the other day where a South African cricketer was heard calling Pakistani fans 'animals who should be in a zoo' and was charged with racism, and you think back to how Shilpa has been compared to animals. It just seems suspicious.

Maybe these people in BB just don't heard the words that they say or consider the consequences of saying them because they are ignorant. But I don't know.
Wahey! Spot on James!
Ella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:07 PM #18

Quote:
So now you want to choose what Jade means by the things she says. Why dont you just make up whatever you want.
It was clear what she meant.

Quote:
Jade brought up the term 'slums', because Jade likes to give off this image that she is 'from the slums' and she has paid her dues and is an utter triumph in life.
No, she brought up 'slums' because many of her fans live in one of the poorest countries in the world, India/

Quote:
You go on to claim Jade was merely telling Shilpa to understand what the 'real world' is like, so, ill just leave you to weigh up........hard working, understanding, world wide superstar....or.....ignorant reality tv star.
Did I ever actually say that Jade's opinions mirrored my own opinions? No. I'm merely trying to make a fair argument, people will make their favoured housemate look good, and their least favourite look bad. I'm just showing that she didn't necessarily mean it in a racist way.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:12 PM #19
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Thats like saying men are cleverer than woman. and not get called a sexist, rather get called an ignorant.

i dont see how that works. saying its ignorance rather than racism, is just giving a lee-way to rasism. rather making us forget about the effects or rasism.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:16 PM #20

Quote:
Originally posted by rex3
Thats like saying men are cleverer than woman. and not get called a sexist, rather get called an ignorant.

i dont see how that works. saying its ignorance rather than racism, is just giving a lee-way to rasism.
It's racism. And racism is ignorance. If you ask me, ignorance is the root of all evil.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:35 PM #21

I think Jade just took it way over the top.. Shilpa didn't raise her voice and Jade was charging towards Shilpa.. I don't understand why big brother never interviened, if Jermaine didn't stop it Jade would of hit her.. nevertheless she still verbally bullies Shilpa.
DiamondDogTags is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:39 PM #22
Banned

Banned

can you imagine the conversations that spokewoman has had of shilpa, in the pub

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
goody not racist, spokesperson