Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB2 Brian Dowling, Helen and Paul, Dean and the rest of the Big Brother 2 housemates from 2001.

Old 30-07-2006, 11:05 AM #1

Default Favourite memories of BB2

Perhaps we could just share a memory of a truly wonderful TV series. Let's just pretend, if you like that BB3 didn't happen. Let's all be POSITIVE. Now go on, sit down think back to 2001, and share a favourite memory from BB2.

Best Wishes

Chris
chrisking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 11:25 AM #2

There is alot of funny moments in BB2 that i love.

But there is one that sticks out in my head the most now - And that during the Dance Task. And brain Shoyts out 'Salsa' and Elizabeth thinks its big brother and jumps and Ruyms towards and stage while the housemates start laughing at her. I found it very funny lol
Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 11:47 AM #3

For me there were loads of moments.
BB2 was one on it's own and since then it's gone downhill for me.
The practical jokes with Brian were the funniest thing I've seen on BB,putting stones in his pillowcase and throwing rice at him in the dark made me laugh so muchBrian shouting Dean they're on me thinking he had crawlies on him
Also the playground task when Brian fell off the space hopper and everyone was rolling on the floor laughing.
Some of the times with Helen and Brian were brilliant aswell
For me though BB2 will always be special because of Helen and Paul they were brilliant together.I'm sure if they sat and watched the tapes back they'd see how special it all was
Although BB2 had odd arguments for me the thing that set it apart was the singing,laughter and jokes that we seem to have lost in the recent BB's
rachb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 11:49 AM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by rachb
For me there were loads of moments.
BB2 was one on it's own and since then it's gone downhill for me.
The practical jokes with Brian were the funniest thing I've seen on BB,putting stones in his pillowcase and throwing rice at him in the dark made me laugh so muchBrian shouting Dean they're on me thinking he had crawlies on him
Some of the times with Helen and Brian were brilliant aswell
For me though BB2 will always be special because of Helen and Paul they were brilliant together.I'm sure if they sat and watched the tapes back they'd see how special it all was
OMG! The rice! How did i forget that! By far the funniest moment! It was brillant!
Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 11:51 AM #5

Quote:
OMG! The rice! How did i forget that! By far the funniest moment! It was brillant!
and the shaving foam in Paul's bed and Brian pretending it wasn't him and then getting out of bed covered in it
there were so many funny bits
Old 30-07-2006, 06:24 PM #6

For me there has not been a BB to match BB2. It had everything - fantastic selection of housemates - the others have tried to copy since. I think in a way the mixed bedroom has been a mistake - the single sex bedrooms led to such things as the rice throwing, teasing Brian about how scared he was about the men behind the mirror, the conversations that would never have taken place if they hadnt been separate. We even had the 'mad' one who couldnt cope - who could forget Penny when she lost it. We had the boring mother and father in Elizabeth (in that pink jumper) and Dean and we had the bitchy Narinder, plus Amma and her farting. All repeated since.

The singing accompanied by Dean's guitar was something else. Never knew so many people could sing so out of tune together. Remember their version of Old McDonald Had a Farm.

Brian and Josh on their dinner date with Josh winding him up. Poor Brian he didnt know what to do with himself. Oh I could go on and on. Even the arguments were funny in their way. I'll always remember Stuart's wink to Paul when he was 'making up' with Penny. That gesture was worth a thousand words.

We may have had 'isms' since, but Helen was the first - I like blinking I do, is there chicken in chick peas, can you eat cock plus of course the OHHHHH MYYYYYY GODDDDDDD.

But for me of course it has to be Paul and Helen. How many nights did I sit in front of the tv by myself with tears of joy running down my face. Too many to mention. But the whole of the last day they spent together in the house summed up the relationship they had there. No 'romance' in the house has come near this. Although Chantelle and Preston pretty close.

Those were the days when the housemates worked together, played together, argued together, suffered together (when they lost their tasks which really meant something then), played together and made this the best BB ever.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 06:31 PM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):

Everything Rach BB and aaron said the rice throwing the playgroumd task Paddy "He looks like a gay dog" the dinner dates the arguments the birthday partys Narinder/Brian Helens helenisms, theres too many to count
BigSister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 06:41 PM #8

aaw BS how could we forget Paddy the gay dog
The other thing where I think they are going wrong is the format.
What's with them having their sheets washed
and all the alcohol they get these days,they used to have to really earn their food budget and if they failed then they failed none of this weekly party thing.They used to pray for someone to have a birthday to give them a party.
Old 30-07-2006, 06:52 PM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

and another thing I dont know if its me but the birthdays are going smaller too in BB2 there was Helen Bubble Dean and Elizabeth
Old 30-07-2006, 07:23 PM #10

I think you're right about the first two big brother series being special. It was more about the team effort. BB3 of course deliberately set about driving the housemates apart. No singing, no tasks, no joy. It was miserable, wasn't it. I can't help thinking that BB4 would have been alright if they hadn't have got rid of Anoushka in the first week. I reckon she would have a brought a lot of fun to the house.

BB2 is a wealth of happy memories isn't it? It's always nice to be reminded of something so positive
Old 30-07-2006, 07:45 PM #11
Legendary Senior Member

Legendary Senior Member

I enjoyed the dinner date and all the nights spent in the den, but also the moment H&P admitted they fancied each other.
cc100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 08:16 PM #12

Viewers who have only seen recent BB's really don't know what treasures they missed from the earlier ones. We were entertained 24/7, spoilt with having a choice of 4 screens and being able to choose which housemate we wanted the cameras to follow that day. So in a way what you saw was what you got then. The house worked much more as a unit, as food wasn't as freely available as it is now most meals were taken together, and the housemates never seemed to complain about what they were given, even though at times they were very hungry.

Another factor that made BB2 so memorable was the tasks.....

Week 1 - Keep a fire burning continuously from Sunday to Thursday with two housemates in attendance at all times.

Remember Brian breaking the axe and being so shocked. Helen fast asleep in the deckchair, mouth wide open.

Week 2 - Learn first aid skills and treat casualties at the scene of a meteor crash.

Brian showing his expertise and taking control of teaching them all the numerous elements they needed to pass the task. At the end of the week the housemates were woken in the early hours of the morning with the scenario of a meteor having landed in the garden. Various casualties were laid out on the ground with injuries relating to first aid skills that had be learned during the week. I remember Big Brother saying that housemates should get up, get dressed, and go to the garden and Helen saying "Get Dressed??? As in clothes???" Bless her!!

Week 3 - Know your fellow housemates - Housemates had to memorize 15 facts about each of the housemates.

Week 4 - Dance Task - Each housemate has to reach the podium in 20 seconds, with a partner to perform to their style of music. Occasionally, all housemates will be called to perform a conga, they must assemble in 30 seconds.
I don't think there is anyone who didn't love this task..well maybe apart from Dean that is!!

Week 5 - World Record Attempts - Building the highest sugar cube tower. Eating sweetcorn. Blowing the biggest bubblegum bubble. Eating dry crackers.

Week 6 - Teach an old dog new tricks - Teaching Paddy, a bichon frise eight tricks on command.

To set the scene Dean and Brian were both bored with the task of training Paddy the dog. Each morning Paddy had to be collected from the diary room.

Week 7 - Drum kit task - Disassemble a drum kit take it over 3 obstacles and re assemble in a time limit.

Week 8 - Playground task - involved learning Double Dutch skipping, pogo-ing , hula-hooping, and racing on a spacehopper.
I just loved this task. It really showed how close the housemates were. It was lovely to see them all cheering Helen along to complete the pogo-stick even when they knew they had failed the task, and carrying her around like champion. The Paul and Helen sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G aww!! As Rach said Brian falling from the space-hopper, and his "Blow the *******ing whistle!" to BB when he completed the Double-Dutch skipping!! Such lovely memories.

Week 9 - Knowing you, Knowing me - A different task each day -
Day 1 learning about a fellow housemates childhood. Remember Geard...rhymes with 'turd'!!
Day 2 Making clay heads. I cried with laughing watching this- in fact I still do every time I watch it.
Day 3 To learn a fellow housemates skill. Elizabeth /air cabin crew. Helen/Play Guitar. Brian/Flamenco. Dean/Hairdressing. Who can forget Dean in Helen's Classy (Crappy) Cuts uniform
Day 5 Questions on each other's politics and morality. Teasing Helen she had got one question wrong, then her finding out and pointing to them saying in her loudest voice" I hate you!! I hate you!! I hate you!!

There were also various mini tasks - including making a 'Soap Opera' featuring all the housemates,
the 'hats' task, crushing grapes to make wine, cheese tasting, plus numerous Birthdays, all which relieved the boredom in the house. The group were also very inventive having their own Three Mills Tennis Tournament, and making a variety of games like kerplunk and archery to pass time. And of course entertaining themselves by seeing how many was it snakes and ladders pieces would fit on a face???

I could go on and on... 'bliss', but I will let someone else take up the mantle.
BDGA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 08:39 PM #13

Thanks for that BDGA. And not only those major tasks - there were the mini tasks such as the Soap Opera task. I loved that one.
As has been said the housemates are spoilt now - alcohol and tobacco on request. Poor BB2 had to rely on cider if they could get it.
Old 30-07-2006, 09:09 PM #14

Oh that reminded me of one I forgot BDGA Thanks.I loved the clay heads when Helen nearly wet herself laughing at Dean and his head
Old 30-07-2006, 10:33 PM #15

BDGA, thanls for putting 100% into your response, BYLCS!! The Pogo stick, how Helen suffered to acheive that task .. at least 25 mins over the limit, but bless her, she did it, and they carried her round on their shoulders afterwards. I think that's when Paul really feel for her.

Paul and Helen, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!

Brian with the axe handle in his hand - the very epitome of the naughty boy that you couldn't really scold!

I really watch every BB on the back of the last really honest and innocent BB - BB2. BB1 was a phenomenom. We all thought the concept was scary, ghastly, watching people go to the loo etc, but it was great fun.

BB2, people went on because they though it would be fun. I do think one or two played to the cameras, but not in a sinister way, they just were exhibitionists..

After that everyone knew why they were on. The person who sussed that out most quickly was Ms Goody. Pretended to be thick, (she is and always has been VERY shrewd - or should I say, Maciavellian!) and made a career out of being Jade Goody.

BB2 however was the Zenith. They went on to have fun. Bubble went on to make money, but the public sussed him out.

My happiest moment from that series was, it won't surprise you to know, when Paul turned to Helen after HOURS of not succumbing to her charms lying in the dark by her side as she rambled on, held out his arms to her and said 'Come here'. It was such a tender moment - he had overcome every qualm he had about not wrecking her relationship and just wanting to hold her. When he did he said, to himself more than anyone else. 'If it feels right, then it's right'.

Wonderful moment.

There are moments of that innocence which I see with Glyn, because he is such an uncontrived ingenue, and with Pete because he is, without doubt one of the sweetest and most genuine guys I have ever seen.

Who else could make us forget the twitches, tics and explosions of 'W*****s' and just see the bloke?

He would have fitted into BB2 very well, as would Glyn, with his Welsh naievity - alongside that other Welsh innocent.

Such sweet and happy memories.
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 10:40 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Oh yeah the clay making task that was so funny
1 moment that my mum laughed out loud was 1 morning before going to work she put live streaming on and brian was in chicken coop and they kept pecking at him and he kept jumping out and shooing them away
Another 1 was Blackmagic ala Josh which Spiral/Michael used this year but it wasnt as good
Old 31-07-2006, 08:16 AM #17

Thanks for that BGDA. It brought back lots of happy memories. It was glorious wasn't it? Just one long 2 month holiday that we all didn't want to end. Such fun, such innocence. You're right ROB,It was never the same after that because the housemates were aware of the potential for being a success of the back of the series. Plus the fact that in BB3 they weren't given anything to do. They weren't allowed to sing for copyright reasons. Where was the fun in watching that? It was just so miserable to watch, wasn't it? Some people love BB3 but I think it was a shame that the producers decided to emphasise conflict instead of teambuilding.

One other thing. It's been mentioned about Stuart's winking. I've sometimes wondered whether people have misunderstood him. When he hugged Penny and gave Paul the wink could it have been a sign to Paul that he shouldn't worry because things were patched up. Paul seemed very confused. Take the fire task. In the programme the psychologists say that he winked at Narinder whilst Amma was talking. They suggest that he was trying to imply that Amma's talk was boring. However, could it be that he was checking that the fire was still burning and winking to Narinder to assure her that it was still burning. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? If there's one lesson I've taken from watching the first 2 Big Brothers it's that people gestures and signals can be interpreted in a number of different ways. The producers obviously picked up on this and edited the programme sometimes to put the housemates in a bad light. Do you remember when Paul left the house? He deliberately didn't look at Helen. He said later that if he had he would have broken down in tears. At the time the press said it showed that he didn't really care for her. Interesting isn't it?
Old 31-07-2006, 12:44 PM #18

Reading through all these brings back so many memories. You are right ROB I think Glyn and Pete would have fitted well into BB2. Though what Helen would have made of having two Welsh people in the house is something else, she had enough trouble realising she was the only person from Wales there.

Also do you remember them playing Ibble Dibble. Brian was completely hopeless at it and it didnt bother him one little bit. His face was completely covered in charcoal marks and Helen said he looked like her Dalmation dog. It ended with Paul chasing Helen around the room to 'mark' her, though that really wasnt the reason at all.

What a series it was!!!!!

I think it was the last series when (apart from Bubble) people didnt enter for the money and fame. They may have wanted it when they left eg Narinder but I dont think it was the no. 1 reason for going in.
Old 31-07-2006, 04:29 PM #19

Yes. The majority of them went in for the experience except Bubble. But even here there was a difference to subsequent series. Right from the start, Bubble was open about his desire to win Big Brother and acquire the Ł70,000 prize. He was honest and upfront about it. His motive was that he wanted to provide his daughter with a good education. I can't say I particularly liked Bubble in the series. He always seemed so full of himself. However, at the end of the day, I think he was an honourable man. I sincerely hope that everything has worked out for him and his daughter. It's funny what you said about Jade, ROB. Isn't life always like that? You'd love to see Helen on the screen more often but you end up getting Jade! Keep those memories flooding in, this is truly wonderful.
Old 31-07-2006, 04:41 PM #20

Just thought of something else. What if you'd put Glyn and Pete in Big Brother 4, wouldn't that have livened things up enormously? It seems to me that the producers got exactly the right formula and casting for the first 2 series. This may be something to do with the original producer Conrad Green(offhand I think that's what his name was). I don't think he was involved in subsequent series. You can certainly tell the difference. Of the subsequent series I liked BB4 in patches. Obviously not a great deal happened but it did have its moments of charm and innocence. BB5 was quite enjoyable as well. I can't say I've really bothered the last 2 series. The housemates didn't seem, to me, to be having much fun. Perhaps I'll give BB7 another try at some point. Of course the other big difference between the first 2 series and all subsequent series is the format. To me half an hour seemed just right, with the occasional extended programme. It was like watching a really good sitcom. I feel that an hour stretches everything a bit. What do you reckon?
Old 01-08-2006, 01:28 PM #21
Senior Moment Member

Favourites:
CBB 11: Claire Richards
UBB: Brian

Senior Moment Member

Favourites:
CBB 11: Claire Richards
UBB: Brian

I've not really enjoyed any series since BB2. I don't think they've ever had the right mix of people since then and the housemates are getting worse and worse.

The audience seem to be getting younger and seem to be demanding diva type strops, over the top bitching and fights all the time. If they don't get them it seems that present series isn't worth watching.

To some extent I feel sorry for the present housemates. They seem to think they have made their fortunes when in fact only the girls who take their tops off will make any money at all.

Gone are the glory days of BB2.
dizzy bint is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:44 PM #22

Yes, I think you're absolutely right, Dizzy. The subsequent series just do not compare. BB1 and BB2 were very intense viewing experiences. You really wanted to see what would happen next and your were desperate for any news about the housemates. I think it's also fair to say that the housemates were with a few exceptions treated better by the media. It wasn't uncommon to see a housemate on the cover of a magazine or a newspaper. Nowadays it seems that the housemates are generally treated with contempt by people; which is a shame really. I think what's happened is that a lot of the novelty and the innocence has gone from Big Brother. The glory days of BB1 and BB2 are long gone.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 AM #23
Banned

Banned

the tramp wandering in
The_Hitman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bb2, favourite, memories