Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Do you think footballers wages are too much?
Yes 26 78.79%
Yes
26 78.79%
No 7 21.21%
No
7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM #26
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Golf wages are the most outrageous.
This. Tennis players are paid too much too.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM #27
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
You have great taste in characters Drew.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM #28
jackc1806

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi
jackc1806

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

Of course they are but they are that high for a reason. Clubs make billions from TV money, sponsorships ect and that money is spread towards the players. They only get paid loads because their employers make loads
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM #29

Favourites:
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Favourites:
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Man City's entire gate isn't enough to pay the team. Sheikh Mansoor has to make up the difference from his own pocket.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM #30

Favourites (more):
BBUSA15: Nick
BBCanada: Emmett

Favourites (more):
BBUSA15: Nick
BBCanada: Emmett

Not just football plays. It's all sports. As a kid I played hockey, baseball and football. Hundreds and hundreds attended some of my games. My team won and I got a pat on the back and told to keep it up and our team might win and get a trophy on display.

It appalls me that the amount of money they make is so high. I have never gone to a game as a result. I've never watched a show on television. I don't want even a cent of my money or a second of my time to be directly responsible for them earning money. These people earn more a year than surgeons do in a decade probably.

I'm very bitter like that.

I think people should not be paid like that for play football. I don't think playing a sport is something that justifies that kind of money. I believe pay should be related to the importance of the job. Doctors, teachers, engineers, people like these and not people such as singers, actors, pro sports players, and hosts.
NickUhasRocks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM #31

Probably yes, but given the demand and it being a highly skilled job for the players that earn the really big money, I'd argue no, and footballers careers compared to your average profession is way way shorter so they 'need' to make the money while they can if that makes sense. Quite a few of them struggle afterwards

Footballers wages are also heavily taxed too, which doesn't show up when people talk about how much they earn. and of course that means they're paying alot in taxes which is good for the economy also

I don't think it's as outrageous as other sports like Golf, tennis etc, where you can win ALOT for one tournament, at least football has settled wages and you do alot more to 'win' at your sport

Footballers also do alot more work physically nearly every day than what popstars/movie stars would do

Last edited by King Gizzard; 03-09-2013 at 12:48 AM.
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 AM #32

Found this from a while ago, Tevez's leaked payslip, utterly ridiculous wages yes, but he also payed 3m in taxes

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 AM #33

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):

Tennis stars wages are a bit absurd as well...

I am sure I heard some useless bint who got a double bagel still went home with like $30,000.. bloody ridiculous.

I might take it up and just hit it at the net and walk away with a bit of cash every tournament.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Ah I didn't see Girth's comment at the top of the page!
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 AM #35

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Probably yes, but given the demand and it being a highly skilled job for the players that earn the really big money, I'd argue no, and footballers careers compared to your average profession is way way shorter so they 'need' to make the money while they can if that makes sense. Quite a few of them struggle afterwards

Footballers wages are also heavily taxed too, which doesn't show up when people talk about how much they earn. and of course that means they're paying alot in taxes which is good for the economy also

I don't think it's as outrageous as other sports like Golf, tennis etc, where you can win ALOT for one tournament, at least football has settled wages

Footballers also do alot more work physically nearly every day than what popstars/movie stars would do
^

It's always footballers wages that get debated...
Samuel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:56 AM #36

The worst comment is "all they do is kick a ball about on grass"....yeah? You go do it and be rich then

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 AM #37

Kick a ball on grass, train everyday, media spotlight, mandatory community/charity work
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 AM #38

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

in Tennis you only ever make a big profit when your in the top 150-100 players in the World, Most Qualifiers for Grand Slam events have to spend their own money buying their gear and the challenger events they play in hardly cover the cost of travel, equipment, etc to play in them, you can't really make a living of tennis alone unless your qualifying for grand slams regularly

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 AM #39
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..if you're a football fan you would probably say no and if you're not you would probably say yes...it's interesting though that with other people in 'entertainment' like say movie stars/music artists etc, people don't tend to say 'they earn too much money'..they more say they're overrated...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:07 AM #40

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

Definitely, and tennis
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 AM #41
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

its nice work if you can get it!
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 AM #42

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
in Tennis you only ever make a big profit when your in the top 150-100 players in the World, Most Qualifiers for Grand Slam events have to spend their own money buying their gear and the challenger events they play in hardly cover the cost of travel, equipment, etc to play in them, you can't really make a living of tennis alone unless your qualifying for grand slams regularly
Yeah true, it's tough when you start off because your winnings usually go towards travel and your 'team'. That's why so many players take on family when training and travelling because it somewhat cuts costs a bit. But when you do start to find form and win it can be a right little money earner
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 AM #43

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Found this from a while ago, Tevez's leaked payslip, utterly ridiculous wages yes, but he also payed 3m in taxes

What's the 24.00 FA fine? Lol
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 AM #44
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..maybe they should have a 'goal quota' ..if they don't score so many goals in a season, they're salary is cut...

..OT..with the transfer thing..I understand footballers are sold etc...but some are given away for free and even to teams abroad...?...that's a bit of a rejection for them...
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 AM #45

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Wayne Rooney needs every penny he earns, good plastic surgery costs a fortune... Lol
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 AM #46
Z

Z

The difference between footballers, and say actors and pop stars, is that with actors and pop stars - they only earn mega bucks if people like what they are selling. If radio snubs music or cinema snubs film; people don't get to hear it/see it; or if it gets released and people just plain don't care, their careers are ended. Footballers get signed for several year long contracts on insane wages and it doesn't matter if they play like utter crap or get injured and never play a game; they're still earning insane money regardless, and if the club wants to get rid of them they have to pay them off. In other words, it doesn't matter whether the people paying to go see them are pleased with the end product or not, they still get this secure, obscene wage.

I think footballers get the worst of it because they tend to be the flashiest with their money... other athletes tend to be more low profile even if you know they get paid a lot. It's the whole culture that's evolved around football and its wages. WAGS have added to that tension - women who seek out footballers just to be known as their girlfriend and sponge off that lifestyle - it adds to this overall impression that footballers earn too much for doing too little. Tennis is like a pay and play system - they don't get paid for doing training; they get paid for how well they do. I don't know about other sports but I do know about tennis, so it's not fair to lump that in with football.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 AM #47
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
The difference between footballers, and say actors and pop stars, is that with actors and pop stars - they only earn mega bucks if people like what they are selling. If radio snubs music or cinema snubs film; people don't get to hear it/see it; or if it gets released and people just plain don't care, their careers are ended. Footballers get signed for several year long contracts on insane wages and it doesn't matter if they play like utter crap or get injured and never play a game; they're still earning insane money regardless, and if the club wants to get rid of them they have to pay them off. In other words, it doesn't matter whether the people paying to go see them are pleased with the end product or not, they still get this secure, obscene wage.

I think footballers get the worst of it because they tend to be the flashiest with their money... other athletes tend to be more low profile even if you know they get paid a lot. It's the whole culture that's evolved around football and its wages. WAGS have added to that tension - women who seek out footballers just to be known as their girlfriend and sponge off that lifestyle - it adds to this overall impression that footballers earn too much for doing too little. Tennis is like a pay and play system - they don't get paid for doing training; they get paid for how well they do. I don't know about other sports but I do know about tennis, so it's not fair to lump that in with football.

..yeah I guess all of that makes sense...'back in the day' movie stars would have been signed under contracts although I guess what they do is more 'predictable' in that a footballer can go through a period of not playing well or suffer an injury which prevents him playing..?...music artists were under contract as well, wasn't that part of why George Michael didn't perform for a long time because of a dispute with his record label, he wasn't allowed to..?...I'm not sure how it all works now though..has downloading music changed it all..?...(I still but cds..quant..)...

...hmmm, I'm not sure footballers get the worst of it because they're 'flashy' or because of WAGS...I think what they do/buy is much more scrutinised than others and maybe it's because football is so popular or because the British media do have a bit of a reputation for 'building up' and then 'knocking down'...

..I read something yesterday I think it was about an American cop who was attacked by a group of guys after a rugby match there..and that wasn't really big news but would it have been the same if it was after a football match..?...hmmmmm....

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
football, players, wages