Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 19-02-2007, 05:12 PM #76

Quote:
Baloney!!!!
How rude.
chilledbootz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 05:16 PM #77
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by GRiT
Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
Just realised I haven't posted my thoughts on this.

Preston did the right thing, he has integrity and I'd like to think my future bf/husband would do the same if someone was clearly taking the pi** outta me on live television. Preston knew there was no point sticking up for Chantelle because the hosts would just continue with the mocking.
Obviously never mind the buzzcocks is there to take the mick out of their guests in a humorous way - but it was Preston that signed up to the show - not Chantelle. She should have been left well alone.
Baloney!!!!
Cos I'd purposefully post "baloney". Clearly it's not baloney in my opinion otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 06:20 PM #78

It was FUNNY!! If I was Chantelle I wouldn't have been in the least bit offended! (Does anyone even know if she was offended by the way?) I would however have cringed with embarassment when Preston walked out.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 06:21 PM #79
Team Flack

Team Flack

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
It was FUNNY!! If I was Chantelle I wouldn't have been in the least bit offended! (Does anyone even know if she was offended by the way?) I would however have cringed with embarassment when Preston walked out.
Chantelle actually said in her 'New' column that she wasn't happy about Simon taking the p*** and she was very proud of Preston for sticking up for her.
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 06:32 PM #80

Okay, well thanks for posting - I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked if Chantelle was offended; I did genuinely wonder, because I hadn't heard. So she was offended then - I'm surprised. I've always thought that Preston has had a sense of humour bypass, but I thought Chantelle might have taken it in the spirit it was meant. I honestly would not have been offended personally.
Old 19-02-2007, 06:39 PM #81

The day after the show was recorded Preston was on the radio and they asked him what she thought about him walking off. He laughed and said she thought it was funny and sweet.

I expect on reflection........ once he told her what happened and the texts came in from the panelists she may have realised that it was clearly a deliberate attempt to belittle her on national tv.

Of course she was proud of her husband. Who wouldn't be?
Old 19-02-2007, 06:56 PM #82

Judging from this bit of an interview with Bill Bailey, I doubt he sent any text in support of Preston:

In 2002, he replaced Irish comic Sean Hughes as a team captain in BBC2's pop quiz Never Mind the Buzzcocks. The other week, the show offered him the chance to do a po-mo critique of celebrity fatuousness. It happened like this. Preston, the troubled crooner from ska revivalists the Ordinary Boys, was on Bailey's team. "He'd been on before and seemed quite nice but in the intervening period he'd gone on Celebrity Big Brother and met his wife Chantelle." You mean the ordinary girl who wasn't a celebrity but now is and was ordinary but now isn't? Bailey looks at me and rolls his eyes by way of affirmation. "Anyway, Simon [Amstell, the host] started teasing him by reading out chunks from her autobiography, Living the Dream, which, God bless her, isn't Thomas Pynchon. In terms of slaggings-off it was a one on the Richter scale - really gentle. And then Preston said of the autobiography, 'I haven't read it.' Which was an ungallant thing to say.

"He got the hump because we had the audacity or temerity to have a go at him. He ripped the mic off, said, 'Out of order' and stood up to leave. I managed to say that he thought he'd been voted off. That got a big laugh and he growled even more and left. He'd just been on a reality show, for God's sake! Any friend could have told him, 'Expect to get it with both barrels.' But he didn't."

Then Bailey had a brainwave. He walked into the audience and grabbed someone who looked like Preston. "He was smartly turned out with a quiff. So I said, 'You'll do.' And he was great. He was a really good sport. His family were there, laughing and loving it." The one-time ordinary boy replaced by the genuine article - nice touch.
Old 19-02-2007, 07:01 PM #83

Meanwhile, Preston himself had this to say:

"(Amstell's) got no charm. He's very bitter because he went on 'Popworld', he thought that he was going to have this Ant and Dec-massive career, and he's just doing some little budget indie show on late at night."

Well - it's no surprise that he doesn't like Simon Amstell. However, what on earth is he on about calling Buzzcocks some little budget indie show? It's a massively popular show that's run for about 8 years? (Probably more I think tbh.) And Preston was happy enough to agree to appear on it.
Old 19-02-2007, 07:12 PM #84

Ooh I wish I could find the interview now but Preston said everyone was really nice afterwards and someone sent him a text.I'll try and dig out the link it's somewhere I'm sure.
rachb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 07:22 PM #85

Quote:
Anyway, Simon [Amstell, the host] started teasing him by reading out chunks from her autobiography, Living the Dream, which, God bless her, isn't Thomas Pynchon.
What the hell did they expect from her book anyway? It's a book aimed at teenage girls, who voted for her whilst she was on CBB.

The passages Simon Amstell read out of her book were clearly alluding to the fact she has a lack of class and she has a shallow nature.

Yeah laugh along Preston. It's only a bit of teasing at your wife's expense

Nasty men!
Old 19-02-2007, 07:27 PM #86

Quote:
Originally posted by rachb
Ooh I wish I could find the interview now but Preston said everyone was really nice afterwards and someone sent him a text.I'll try and dig out the link it's somewhere I'm sure.
Yeah I heard that too. It was on Radio 1. Cant remember if he said Phil or Bill texted him. But I know he said they were nice.

I also remember him saying he was really protective of his family. I remember when he was on CBB there were newspaper stories about how he used to take his sister to school and make her food, because his Dad wasn't around much and his elder brother was at Uni
Old 19-02-2007, 07:31 PM #87

It was probably Phil - apparently they have been friends for some time prior to the show. But Phil's reaction on the show strongly indicated that he thought Preston was daft for walking off.

Anyway....I've had fun on this thread, but I'm going to bow out now. I hope I haven't offended anyone with anything I've said - some of the things have come out a bit harsher than they sounded in my head! Just because I have a different opinion to some of you doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinion.
Old 19-02-2007, 07:36 PM #88

Quote:
Just because I have a different opinion to some of you doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinion.

In an ideal world this is what every forum member would say
Old 19-02-2007, 08:24 PM #89

Quote:
Originally posted by chilledbootz
Quote:
Yeah I heard that too. It was on Radio 1. Cant remember if he said Phil or Bill texted him. But I know he said they were nice.

I also remember him saying he was really protective of his family. I remember when he was on CBB there were newspaper stories about how he used to take his sister to school and make her food, because his Dad wasn't around much and his elder brother was at Uni
Thanks Chilled I thought I was going insane for a minute.
He said the same sort of thing a few days later on gmtv saying that he was protective of his family and she was more important than his career.
I'm sure we'll all be in agreement that he should never do this tv show again
Old 19-02-2007, 09:08 PM #90
Team Flack

Team Flack

Quote:

I'm sure we'll all be in agreement that he should never do this tv show again
Now that we'll all argee on! Preston in general should stay away from anything that will mock Chantelle. He is just so protective You guys remember on Live Nominations Night he was like 'I just feel like I have look after you and I don't know why' Or do I just watch too many Prestelle videos
Old 20-02-2007, 12:13 AM #91
Team Flack

Team Flack

^^^I'm just watching Prestelle stuff atm and I felt like posting! When Preston and George had to nominate on Day 14 Preston choose Maggot purely because he thought he was taking the mickey outta Chantelle earlier that day. So Preston has always been protective of her and stood up fpr her even when they weren't even a couple!

*gets back to watching*
Old 22-02-2007, 10:35 AM #92
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
Quote:
Originally posted by GRiT

Baloney!!!!
Cos I'd purposefully post "baloney". Clearly it's not baloney in my opinion otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
I posted "baloney" because I was in a hurry and would not have access to the forum for a couple of days.

I agree with Ruth. He should not have done the show if he was going to be so sensitive. He objected to every comment that made even the ones directed at him and his band. OK, I agree that it was chivalrous but he’s made himself look a bigger prat than the panel could ever have done.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 10:55 AM #93

The thing is - Chantelle has managed to spin her BB experience into a career lasting a year, despite having no discernible talent, and not much intelligence. I don't mean that as an insult to her - it's just the way it is. A lot of the reason that people liked her in the first place was because she is - can I say endearingly thick? - or scatty, ditzy, flaky if you prefer. It's exactly that image that made people warm to her, and she has played on that image. So why should Preston get all offended when someone points out the truth in the way she presents herself? That image has made her a lot of money that she could never have earned in a regular job. Preston and Chantelle ought to be thankful that people are still commenting about her at all!

If Chantelle is happy to present herself in that way, I don't really see why Preston would be annoyed when someone makes it clear that they think of her in that way.

Loved Buzzcocks last night by the way - Simon was still having a laugh about it!
Old 22-02-2007, 12:28 PM #94

excellent Buzzcocks again last night .. loads of references to last week.. Simon ripped into Midge Ure throughout the show ..Midge took it all in good humour. Shame Preston could'nt do the same. And they had the kiddie from "Skins" on .. good episode.
bonnie43uk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 05:01 PM #95

Quote:
If Chantelle is happy to present herself in that way, I don't really see why Preston would be annoyed when someone makes it clear that they think of her in that way.
I think the point is that Chantelle wasn't there to defend herself. And Preston went on the show, not her.

Obviously i'm a Preston fan but I watched the show last night without being in anyway biased.

The whole atmosphere of the show seemed strained to me. Midge Ure didn't really take Amstell's comments in good humour. Midge called him a wanker if I recall correctly?.
The guy from Skins said he wanted to go home as well. And that whole set up piece about trying to make the bloke out of the Magic Numbers 'hard' was completely unfunny.

The constant references to Preston walking out are incredibly tedious as well. Amstell's gonna live off this for weeks.
Or should I say his scriptwriters will
Old 22-02-2007, 05:16 PM #96

I just thought how scripted last nights show was more so than ever.He may aswell sit with the papers infront of him and read from them.
He also said them in such a way that IMO was in a nasty tone not a comedy one.
As for Chantelle well she may have made a career but if some people didn't want to watch/read about her then she wouldn't still be around.
I can think of so much worse than Chantelle that I've used all my wishes on disappearing -Jade! but someone out there must have liked her to keep her around for so long.Chantelle at least doesn't sell stories of drugs and sex to continue her 15 minutes.
I thought the looks Midge was throwing Simon last night were far worse than Preston's last week.
Old 22-02-2007, 06:56 PM #97

Yeah, but we're not talking about Midge Ure! The point I'm making (I'm sure I remember saying I was leaving this thread - I can't help myself!) is that the image that Simon was portraying of Chantelle was the exact same image that Chantelle has used herself over the past year, to somehow stretch her career out to this long. She plays the whole endearingly stupid routine (maybe it's really her, maybe not), and it has done well for her - Preston - who has himself referred to her as a "dizzy blonde" got offended when someone else alluded to her being endearingly stupid. So it's okay to use that image when it suits them, but not when someone else wants to make a bit if fun of it?

Personally I'm sick of all these celebrities who suddenly become rich and famous and adored, despite the fact that they actually don't DO anything. What is it about Chantelle that makes people want to read about her, or have an interest in her? I'm not being rude, it's a serious question. What does she actually do? Don't get me wrong - she seems a nice enough girl, and in a way I can hardly blame her for taking all the opportunities that she has been given - it is after all probably a dream come true - but I do miss the days when people were celebrities because they were actually good at something.

The thing is - she is incredibly lucky to be where she is, considering what she does. Preston can also thank his lucky stars - if he had never got together with Chantelle, I doubt his career would be doing so well. The Ordinary Boys record company was dropping them before he appeared on BB. It's his relationship with Chantelle, not his 'music' that has kept him in the public eye.

The lad from Skins said that he wanted to go home because he couldn't get either of his questions in the intro round - that was all. As for Midge Ure - well, it did seem to me that he was going along with Simon's humour, but maybe I was wrong about that.
Old 22-02-2007, 07:04 PM #98

hi Ruth, i agree with you.
celebrity has no respect for itself.
just a talentless bunch of jerks,making money by being stupid.
secrets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 07:58 PM #99

Quote:

Personally I'm sick of all these celebrities who suddenly become rich and famous and adored, despite the fact that they actually don't DO anything. What is it about Chantelle that makes people want to read about her, or have an interest in her? I'm not being rude, it's a serious question. What does she actually do? Don't get me wrong - she seems a nice enough girl, and in a way I can hardly blame her for taking all the opportunities that she has been given - it is after all probably a dream come true - but I do miss the days when people were celebrities because they were actually good at something.

But surely this very forum exists primarily to continue to talk about these people.At least that's how it started it's life
So we really are responsible for todays 'celebrity'.We pick these people as winners and the public buy the magazines full of them.
I've watched BB from the start and only a few have really interested me afterwards.But I know from experience on here that for some it doesn't just end when the show does.It's like we've spent time getting to know them and we're inetersted in them and so go on to read about what they go onto next (if anything)
Lots of people have views on old time celebrities that have 'skills' and deserve the title but how many of them would we have hand selected given the choice.
Some of them annoy the hell out of me that's for sure.
The way I see it is if you don't agree with these people having the status then just turn away and don't look at them.
Old 23-02-2007, 07:57 AM #100

And that's a fair comment Rach. The thing is, although I enjoy watching these people on BB, I never buy magazines or books about them afterwards! I'm not knocking people who do - who am I to say who you or anyone else should or shouldn't be interested in? - but I just cannot see the fascination with people such as Chantelle, Jade, Nadia, etc. They entertained us for a few weeks on BB - great! But what have they done to deserve a continued career in the public eye? It's not their fault. I just think it's a sad indictment on the state of 'celebrity' today when there is genuine talent out there that can't get a break, and then we have people who become celebrities for an apparent reason.

As for how many bona fide celebs people would have hand picked, given the choice - my belief is that if they are good at their chosen profession, fair enough. For example, there's certain bands and singers whose music I don't like. But I can appreciate that they are good at what they do - it's just not my cup of tea. Would I send them to obscurity if I had chance? No.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
buzzcocks, mind