Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-12-2013, 05:54 PM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Twitter Aids row: 'Insensitive' PR woman apologises...

PR executive who sparked a row after "carelessly" tweeting about Aids in Africa as she headed to the continent has apologised for her insensitivity, saying she is "ashamed".

American Justine Sacco was sacked over the message from her Twitter account that read: "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get Aids. Just kidding. I'm white!"

The tweet, reportedly sent as she boarded a plane from London to South Africa, quickly spread on the microblogging site, with social media users expressing their disgust.

The controversy apparently erupted while Ms Sacco was on the plane with no internet access and she started trending.

Her account has now been deleted.

Ms Sacco, who was fired from her job at internet giant InterActive Corp, which owns popular websites like Match.com, Dictionary.com, and Vimeo, has released a statement.

It read: "Words cannot express how sorry I am, and how necessary it is for me to apologise to the people of South Africa, who I have offended due to a needless and careless tweet.

"There is an Aids crisis taking place in this country, that we read about in America, but do not live with or face on a continuous basis.

"Unfortunately, it is terribly easy to be cavalier about an epidemic that one has never witnessed firsthand.

"For being insensitive to this crisis - which does not discriminate by race, gender or sexual orientation, but which terrifies us all uniformly - and to the millions of people living with the virus, I am ashamed.

"This is my father's country, and I was born here. I cherish my ties to South Africa and my frequent visits, but I am in anguish knowing that my remarks have caused pain to so many people here; my family, friends and fellow South Africans.

"I am very sorry for the pain I caused."

InterActive Corp issued a statement on Saturday distancing itself from the tweet and saying the employee was fired.

"There is no excuse for the hateful statements that have been made and we condemn them unequivocally," it said.

"We hope, however, that time and action, and the forgiving human spirit, will not result in the wholesale condemnation of an individual who we have otherwise known to be a decent person at core."
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 05:59 PM #2
Z

Z

That's the kind of stuff most comedians tweet on a daily basis and it's clearly taken as a joke because everyone knows they're comedians. Maybe she wasn't joking but if I read that I wouldn't be bothered by it in the slightest, I'd take that as a joke.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 06:12 PM #3
Banned

Banned

It's a bit stupid for someone who works in PR to post something like that. You'd think they would know better.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 06:19 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Ridiculous reaction to a completely harmless tweet, but she should have expected it.
Samuel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aids, apologises, insensitive, pr, row, twitter, woman