Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-09-2014, 05:10 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Minnesota Vikings player Adrian Peterson indicted for giving his son a 'whooping'....

..I'm not sure if this will be of interest to anyone but I noticed it because I recalled the name and remember there being a thread a while ago because his ex wife's boyfriend at the time, physically abused another son of his which resulted in the child's death..which is why I was stunned that he would do something like this..I just can't understand how any parent could think this is in any way 'the right way' or an acceptable way or that it 'teaches' anything..and the fact that it was something he himself experienced as a form of 'discipline' as a child and is doing it to his children just really to me proves that 'violence only breeds more violence' and nothing more than that/it teaches no lessons other than that...anyway, the story.....

Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted for reckless or negligent injury to a child for allegedly beating one of his sons as punishment, and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

The 2012 NFL MVP reportedly admitted to police that he did give his son a 'whooping' last May with a switch - a term he used to describe a leafless tree branch - while the boy was visiting him in Houston.

Peterson, 29, who was in Minnesota training with his team ahead of a game this Sunday, was deactivated from the roster after his indictment by a Texas grand jury went public, ESPN reported

During the incident, Peterson’s son had pushed another one of his children off of a motorbike video game, according to new details from CBS Houston. As punishment, Peterson grabbed the branch, removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly.

According to doctors, the beating resulted in numerous injuries to the boy, including cuts and bruises on his back, buttocks, legs and scrotum.

Peterson then allegedly texted the boy's mother about the incident, saying that one wound in particular would make her 'mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch,' according to CBS.

In further text messages, the football star said he 'felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting i (sic) thigh' and that he “got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!'

He also texted the boy's mother: 'Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.'

The child offered police a different version of events, telling them Peterson hit him on the face and that he feared further punishment for talking to the authorities about what happened

He said that he had been hit by a belt and that 'there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.'

The boy also said that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down and told his mother that his dad 'likes belts and switches' and 'has a whooping room.'

Peterson's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, confirmed the indictment to Fox 26 in Houston, which originally broke the story.

Hardin said Peterson is cooperating fully with investigators.The Montgomery County Sheriff's Department also confirmed the indictment and said it issued a warrant for Peterson's arrest on Friday.

'Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son,' according to Hardin's statement.

'He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced as a child growing up in east Texas. Adrian has never hidden from what happened. He has cooperated fully with authorities and voluntarily testified before the grand jury for several hours.'

The statement adds that Peterson 'deeply regrets the unintentional injury'.

In fact, Peterson didn't think there was anything wrong with his actions when he was interviewed by police, telling them he only used 'whoopings' or spankings as a last result.

When asked if some of the marks on the boy's body were from an extension cord, he said 'Oh, no, I’d never hit my child with an extension cord. I remember how it feels to get whooped with an extension cord. I’d never do that', CBS reported.

After Peterson's four-year-old boy returned home to Minnesota, his mother took him to a doctor, who found a number of lacerations on this thighs, bruise-like marks on his lower back and buttocks and cuts on his hand

A police report obtained by a radio affiliate of CBS said the boy told the doctor that Peterson had hit him with a branch from a tree.

A doctor describes some of the marks as open wounds and called it 'child abuse'. Another agreed and called the cuts 'extensive'.

Peterson told investigators when they questioned him that he regarded the incident as a normal spanking and not excessive

A grand jury held in the summer had declined to charge him. A new one was impaneled in Montgomery County, Texas, and decided to pursue the indictment.

In a statement, the Vikings said it was deactivating Peterson for this Sunday's home game against the New England Patriots.

Peterson had plenty of fans and detractors on Twitter.

Some thought what he did was nothing out of the ordinary.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...boyfriend.html

Last edited by Ammi; 14-09-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
adrian, giving, indicted, minnesota, peterson, player, son, vikings, whooping