Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM #1
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Default Dapper Laughs' tour/book cancelled.

Quote:
The company that owns most of the venues where Dapper Laughs’ gigs were going to be held has confirmed that the tour has been cancelled, in the face of widespread criticism.

Dapper Laughs’ 11-date “Full-Length Tour” schedule for February next year has been cancelled.

Academy Music Group, owner of the O2 chain of venues, told BuzzFeed News in an emailed statement: “Please be advised Dapper Laughs ‘Full Length Tour’ has been cancelled. Return to point of purchase for a refund.”

The SeeTickets website on Tuesday afternoon showed that the dates had been cancelled and a representative of Nottingham Rock City confirmed that the date scheduled to take place there on 27 February is off.

The Christmas Party gig at Shepherd’s Bush on 12 December is also listed on SeeTickets as cancelled.

Earlier today, before the decision to cancel had been taken, the company told us it was “in discussions” with the tour promoter over the content of his act.

Earlier today, before the decision to cancel had been taken, the company told us it was "in discussions" with the tour promoter over the content of his act.

AMG told BuzzFeed News in an emailed statement this afternoon, before the cancellation:

"As a major UK venue operator we regularly host events of varying styles and content in music and comedy. In light of the cancellation of the second series of the Dapper Laughs ITV2 show and significant criticism, Dapper Laughs (Daniel O’Reilly) has himself apologised for any offence caused by his material, and we are aware that Dapper Laughs’ brand of comedy may not be to everyone’s taste.
We are in discussions with the promoter of the tour, who book the venues for these live events, to carefully consider what content is suitable. It is our responsibility to seriously acknowledge any criticism and complaints received for the impact upon our venues and customers by sharing such information with all parties involved who entered into this tour in good faith, and are together proactively working towards a solution to address all comments and concerns."

It also emerged on Tuesday that a book publisher has distanced itself from a forthcoming book from Dapper Laughs.

The Bookseller reports that Hodder & Stoughton is not publishing the book, despite inadvertantly posting a listing on its website yesterday.

The publisher says it made an offer for the book but couldn’t agree terms, The Bookseller said.

In any case, the Amazon listing for Dapper Laughs Little Black Book survives and is apparently coming out on 12 February next year.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith...een-called-off
Power to the people!

Spoiler:

zakman440 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:20 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Ha2, good.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:23 PM #3
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Any career he had has been destroyed quicker than his poxy vines
Drew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 PM #4
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

This is now a glorified witch-hunt and is completely pathetic. I avoided these threads cause I wasn't really bothered too much with what was happening but it's just ridiculous now.

I get why people don't find his brand of humour funny and I certainly don't class myself as a fan, I liked his Vines but haven't much enjoyed any of his recent work including the TV show, but this talk of him being a misogynist is laughable. The man effectively plays a character of a 'lad' obsessed with women, he is no more sexist or misogynistic than Leigh Francis is. Having seen the show in question it does nothing but portray a perfectly recognisable concept that anyone who has ever visited a pub, bar or club is familiar with. I don't see men (or women for that matter) being called sexist for trying to 'pull' on a night out. This is something that has been happening for generations, and just because it appears on TV it's oh so awful? It's certainly not a good show by any means and he should have stuck to what he was good at - Vines - but misogynistic it is not, and this is coming from someone that considers themselves a feminist.

As for the 'rape' joke that was reported the other day, whilst admittedly near the knuckle, having read the comment in context I don't see the issue? He essentially said 'oh yeah she wants it' but used the word rape instead (I realise someone will jump on this saying 'yes the word rape!!!!' but it's effectively the same statement). If you pay for a ticket to go and see man whose humour revolves around sexual jokes about women, then you get what you pay for. It's no different to paying to see Frankie Boyle and then complaining when he tells you he could watch you being raped and not feel a flicker of emotion - which for the record he did actually tell one audience member on one of his DVD's. It is comedy, jokes, they aren't real statements. Frankie has been criticised for years but I don't see his tours being cancelled?

This witch-hunt is completely bizarre, he is only a man trying to make a living. People gave him the platform by sharing and liking his Vines in the first place and now presumably the same people have joined this campaign to see everything he's built up come crashing down with the help of the media. But then I guess that's showbiz for you.

The only good thing I have taken from this strange and irritating 180 he's experiencing is that at least people seem to care about the way we as a society treat women, even if directing this justifiable anger at a comedian, a character is totally misplaced.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 PM #5
Wanderer

Favourites (more):
BB16: Chloe
CBB15: Cami Li
Wanderer

Favourites (more):
BB16: Chloe
CBB15: Cami Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
This is now a glorified witch-hunt and is completely pathetic. I avoided these threads cause I wasn't really bothered too much with what was happening but it's just ridiculous now.

I get why people don't find his brand of humour funny and I certainly don't class myself as a fan, I liked his Vines but haven't much enjoyed any of his recent work including the TV show, but this talk of him being a misogynist is laughable. The man effectively plays a character of a 'lad' obsessed with women, he is no more sexist or misogynistic than Leigh Francis is. Having seen the show in question it does nothing but portray a perfectly recognisable concept that anyone who has ever visited a pub, bar or club is familiar with. I don't see men (or women for that matter) being called sexist for trying to 'pull' on a night out. This is something that has been happening for generations, and just because it appears on TV it's oh so awful? It's certainly not a good show by any means and he should have stuck to what he was good at - Vines - but misogynistic it is not, and this is coming from someone that considers themselves a feminist.

As for the 'rape' joke that was reported the other day, whilst admittedly near the knuckle, having read the comment in context I don't see the issue? He essentially said 'oh yeah she wants it' but used the word rape instead (I realise someone will jump on this saying 'yes the word rape!!!!' but it's effectively the same statement). If you pay for a ticket to go and see man whose humour revolves around sexual jokes about women, then you get what you pay for. It's no different to paying to see Frankie Boyle and then complaining when he tells you he could watch you being raped and not feel a flicker of emotion - which for the record he did actually tell one audience member on one of his DVD's. It is comedy, jokes, they aren't real statements. Frankie has been criticised for years but I don't see his tours being cancelled?

This witch-hunt is completely bizarre, he is only a man trying to make a living. People gave him the platform by sharing and liking his Vines in the first place and now presumably the same people have joined this campaign to see everything he's built up come crashing down with the help of the media. But then I guess that's showbiz for you.

The only good thing I have taken from this strange and irritating 180 he's experiencing is that at least people seem to care about the way we as a society treat women, even if directing this justifiable anger at a comedian, a character is totally misplaced.
It was the way he acted towards an innocent woman on Twitter that got people angry, not any of this stuff. He showed himself to be a tw@ and ordered his fans abuse a woman who said nor did anything offensive or out of order towards him.
Creggle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:03 PM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Hes a **** of the highest order and the lowest form of scum, he should lose his 'career' based on that alone, people like him don't deserve a public platform that teaches young men how to be sexist, misogynistic assholes.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 PM #7
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post

You can't allow people to get away with saying things like that, it is damaging.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote