Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 16-04-2015, 04:32 PM #351
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Still 3 weeks to go and again this election is being ruined by all the talk of deals and coalitions.
In any election the supposition should be all parties are there to win it,so just ask them about their policies and their visions for the UK.

All this who will you go with, is really annoying,to me anyway. Of course root out the really important policies they parties will fight for the mos but spending interview after interview, hour after hour, day after day harping on about doing a deal with this ,that one or no one, really becomes tedious.

It is like the trident issue with the SNP, Greens and Plaid Cymru.okay they will vote against it, in parliament, the Conservatives will renew all 4,the Lib Dems likely 3, Labour certainly 3 but also 4 if the official guidance is that it is necessary to do so.
UKIP behind renewal too.

So where is the issue,all those votes to renew it and leaving still the SNP,Plaid Cymru and the Greens totally free to vote against as to their conscience.
It is a waste of time even raising the issue,let alone discussing it,yet there it is in every interview.
In the past I would have completely agreed with you, but when its more than a 50/50 chance of parties working together after the election, I think its important to see who could form alliances as it could affect voting.

If Clegg had been quizzed more before the last election, it may have been obvious that he would sell his granny for a seat at the table, and the lib dems may not have received the seats to allow a coalition
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 04:33 PM #352
You know my methods

You know my methods

deals and coalitions IS this election
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 04:44 PM #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
It doesn't surprise me with the pathetic Sun, it is so desperate to try to get the Conservatives an overall majority this time, that it has to really dig deeper into the very bottom of its gutter for its reporting.

How this is considered by anyone to be a serious newspaper is beyond me completely.
Completely agree....all the newspapers this time are terribly biased one way or another it seems.
Old 16-04-2015, 04:48 PM #354
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default Primary school pupil leaves Labour shadow minister lost for words in classroom

Old 16-04-2015, 04:50 PM #355
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
In the past I would have completely agreed with you, but when its more than a 50/50 chance of parties working together after the election, I think its important to see who could form alliances as it could affect voting.

If Clegg had been quizzed more before the last election, it may have been obvious that he would sell his granny for a seat at the table, and the lib dems may not have received the seats to allow a coalition
I can agree with that,however we are not being told the detail of their policies anyway so that is another issue.

I am pretty clear already that the Conservatives will do a deal with UKIP and/or the Lib Dems.
The Lib Dems say they won't have any workign arrangement with UKIP however I think if it got them into sahred govt' again for 5 years they would.

It is pretty clear, the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Greens would not supprt a Conservative govt; in any form whatsoever and in the SNP's case, they would only support a Labour led min gov't or a possible Labour/Lib Dem coalition.

That is all we need to know,in my view and I have learned all that in the last 2 weeks.
No one is saying what are the red lines that would stop them supporting a party in govt; anyway, all they are saying, as with the SNP on trident, the Greens on austerity and UKIP as to an EUY referendum, that they are things they would either support or not support but wouldn't close the door on other means of supporting whatever main party could form a govt:

The interviewers, presenters and programme makers still go on and on and get no answers,in my view they will never get real answers to that questioning,so ask questions of greater detail as to policy.
Such as exactly where will the 12 billion of cuts to welfare be made from the Conservatives.
Also when,will it likely be in 3 to 5 years that Labour plans to clear the deficit or will it be over a longer period.
We all possibly already know from 2010, that likely all Lib Dem policies could be thrown out again in coalitions deals.

The parties are being let off the hook as to policy at present and I really hope tonights opposition debate programme isn't taken up again by who will do a deal with who, rather than policy matters in greater detail.

Canvassing in the streets and on the doorstep, I am finding voters just more and more confused with the 'who will do a deal with who' scenario's.
Sadly for politics, more and more of the voters and likely voters, just being even more turned off by it all too.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 05:03 PM #356
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default Express owner Richard Desmond gives UKIP Ł1m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32340976

Richard Desmond, whose publishing company owns the Daily and Sunday Express, has donated Ł1m to UKIP.

Mr Desmond said UKIP was "not run by elitists" and was a party for "good, ordinary British people".

UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the money would help "significantly" in its fight "against the big battalions".

Old 16-04-2015, 05:07 PM #357
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Completely agree....all the newspapers this time are terribly biased one way or another it seems.
You are right AnnieK.
I would never take any notice of any of them,I do read the Independent but that is far as it goes for me and I make my own mind up on issues,I take no notice of the media.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:03 PM #358
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Funniest front page for me was the Guardian having the massive headline: "The day the polls turned" saying they'd all swung in favour of Labour. A couple of days later the Guardian's own poll gave the Tories a six point lead
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:06 PM #359

This bitch going on about the valleys already.

*turns over*
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:58 PM #360

The poor old monster raving loony party are losing their loony's as loony's become kippers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32339415
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:18 PM #361
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Ken Clarke Tory MP no. 1
Old 16-04-2015, 10:30 PM #362

Scary and funny in equal amounts.

Last edited by billy123; 16-04-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 16-04-2015, 10:31 PM #363
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Wow....
Old 16-04-2015, 10:32 PM #364
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

And that is why, however respectable a manifesto they try and conjure up, they will never be more than the loony right wing fringe
Old 16-04-2015, 10:35 PM #365
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
Scary and funny in equal amounts.

Deary ****ing me
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 12:27 AM #366

for the pro eu people, 80 percent of your pensions will go to the eastern countries, so which party will make a referendum to leave, so be careful who you vote for.
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 12:37 AM #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire View Post
for the pro eu people, 80 percent of your pensions will go to the eastern countries, so which party will make a referendum to leave, so be careful who you vote for.
You dont half talk some guff The 80% funded pension argument is an American concern and nothing to do with the UK or the EU and is also widely ridiculed as a great bunch of rot.

http://www.actuary.org/files/Pension%20Funding.pdf
http://stump.marypat.org/article/152...-hall-of-shame

Last edited by billy123; 17-04-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 17-04-2015, 12:42 AM #368
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire View Post
Its actually the reverse that's true. Its the incoming immigrants that are funding the pensions paid out currently. That continual influx is needed every year to be able to fund it. Also, many will return to their country of origin before drawing a pension themselves, so its pretty much win win. Something Nigel has failed to mention so far

Last edited by bitontheslide; 17-04-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 17-04-2015, 01:42 AM #369
User banned

User banned

mercy me Leanne wood is the worst welsh rep ive seen.....they used to send down proper politicians in the 70s 80s 90s...now we get this token politicians whos not even an mp...with something to say from Kinnock to Michael foot or jim Griffiths , jim Callaghan, even tarzan Heseltine was a Welshman and for all his faults he was a serious heavyweight...and lets not even talk about proper legends like Lloyd George and neu bevan..even the original founder of the labour party, keir hardie was based in the valleys for decades...this Leanne wood was pathetic...her pandering to the welsh voters who frankly think shes a joke anyway and are NOT the least bit nationalistic (patriotic not nationalistic) most folks in mid wales here would get rid of the welsh assembly tomorrow....all wood does is feigning offence at every other line...demanding miliband stops the cutbacks...yes shes going to pluck the money from the magic tree in the valleys??? if her party actually had a plan to reopen some coal mines they might have a chance of actually making some money???...miliband was of course pathetically weak in response........farage was right to question the audience who only ever cheered when the 3 oddballs from the nationalist and hippy parties demanded spending for all and an end to austerity? farage mentioned the actual facts and figures and they either stayed silent or booed? crackers

Last edited by the truth; 17-04-2015 at 01:44 AM.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 04:14 AM #370
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
mercy me Leanne wood is the worst welsh rep ive seen.....they used to send down proper politicians in the 70s 80s 90s...now we get this token politicians whos not even an mp...with something to say from Kinnock to Michael foot or jim Griffiths , jim Callaghan, even tarzan Heseltine was a Welshman and for all his faults he was a serious heavyweight...and lets not even talk about proper legends like Lloyd George and neu bevan..even the original founder of the labour party, keir hardie was based in the valleys for decades...this Leanne wood was pathetic...her pandering to the welsh voters who frankly think shes a joke anyway and are NOT the least bit nationalistic (patriotic not nationalistic) most folks in mid wales here would get rid of the welsh assembly tomorrow....all wood does is feigning offence at every other line...demanding miliband stops the cutbacks...yes shes going to pluck the money from the magic tree in the valleys??? if her party actually had a plan to reopen some coal mines they might have a chance of actually making some money???...miliband was of course pathetically weak in response........farage was right to question the audience who only ever cheered when the 3 oddballs from the nationalist and hippy parties demanded spending for all and an end to austerity? farage mentioned the actual facts and figures and they either stayed silent or booed? crackers

It was one of the most bias audiences I've ever seen on a political programme. They said it had been a specially picked cross section, but i think it was a cross section that represented the opposition leaders. There were no tories in the audience, and I would guess that at least 75% of the audience were left wing, reflecting the political leanings of the leaders. Poor, totally bias debate
Old 17-04-2015, 07:15 AM #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
It was one of the most bias audiences I've ever seen on a political programme. They said it had been a specially picked cross section, but i think it was a cross section that represented the opposition leaders. There were no tories in the audience, and I would guess that at least 75% of the audience were left wing, reflecting the political leanings of the leaders. Poor, totally bias debate
I agree and have already said as much. Total B.S. as a fair, impartial, and meaningful program.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 08:35 AM #372
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Good news for Cameron this morning:

Quote:
The head of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, has endorsed the UK government's economic strategy.

Speaking at an IMF meeting in Washington she said: "It's obvious what's happening in the UK has worked."

Ms Lagarde played down differences between the IMF calculation of the future deficit and the more optimistic one provided by the Office for Budget Responsibility.

She said the figures were virtually the same, but just calculated differently.

George Osborne was sharing a panel with Ms Lagarde and German finance minister Wolfgang Schaeuble when she made the remarks.

"Generally in any election year, the teams that provide the hypotheticals on which future deficits are forecast, err on the side of caution and assume that whatever is announced is not necessarily or inevitably going to happen," she said.

Ms Lagarde added that the UK authorities had managed to provide the right balance of spending cuts and revenue raising.

"It's clearly also delivering results, because when we look at the comparative growth rates delivered by various countries in Europe, it's obvious that what's happening in the UK has actually worked," she said.

The IMF had predicted that the UK will have a deficit of Ł7bn in 2019-20, while the OBR expects there to be a surplus of Ł7bn.

Despite the large figures, the difference is just 0.6% of GDP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32346214
Old 17-04-2015, 09:09 AM #373
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Good news for Cameron this morning:
yes the elite Old Pals Act is working as normal I see

Old 17-04-2015, 10:55 AM #374

Yes the IMF back our PM
as France is in a mess

Come back Capt Remy

Last edited by arista; 17-04-2015 at 10:56 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 12:46 PM #375
You know my methods

You know my methods

Ruth Cadbury, Labour parliamentary candidate for Brentford and Isleworth really showing the electorate just how clued up she is

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2015, discussion, election, general, tibb