Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB16 Big Brother 16 aka Big Brother: Timebomb started 12th May 2015, and was won by Chloe Wilburn. Discuss the housemates and show in this forum.

Old 13-05-2015, 06:49 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Housemate's physical appearance...

..I wasn't sure what to give this as a thread title or how to start it but just on a 'first impressions' type thing and something that I find quite interesting...

...with Simon for instance, he's made a thing of 'Mr Showbiz' as a big part of who he is/highlighted it, type thing.. and yeah I can see that's annoying so has had lots of negative comments and judgements for it, which I totally understand ..much the same as with, sometimes it might be a female housemate who would say...I have slept with 4 men in one night and love sex I do, something she's highlighted about herself in her VT etc so then inevitable she would get things like...'slag/slut..'/judgements etc and a lot of people agreeing with those judgements because I guess with saying what she has then she's left herself open to them..I don't agree with them but isn't that what happens and I understand why and often many people agreeing....but with Jack and calling himself 'Pieface' and making his love for eating a big part of who he is/highlighting it...if that then leads to his weight or eating being referred to in a negative way, anyone saying anything becomes.....oh, you are shallow and horrid etc..why should that even be a thing...but isn't it all the same thing/that they've highlighted something about themselves that may attract negativity...?...and none is either 'better or worse' than the other..they're all judgements/first impressions type thing that the housemate has kind of 'promoted' themselves....

...I hope that made sense because I'm tired and it's early, but thoughts..?...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 06:53 AM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

I get what you mean Ammi, I said the same thing about Jack to my Mother earlier.

If you highlight something about yourself then expect your detractors to use it against you, I'm not saying it's right, but it's how Reality Show fans work.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:01 AM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I get what you mean Ammi, I said the same thing about Jack to my Mother earlier.

If you highlight something about yourself then expect your detractors to use it against you, I'm not saying it's right, but it's how Reality Show fans work.
..yeah, it's a bit like Becky and 'chicken nuggets', Mock/whether it be right or wrong, it will understandably attract comments but why would then they be any worse ..(if it's something that housemate had kind of made a thing of themselves as being a big part of who they were..)...than something like 'Mr Showbiz' which is fine or seems fine to attract negative comments ..or a housemate making a 'thing' about their sex life/male of female actually...
Old 13-05-2015, 07:03 AM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..yeah, it's a bit like Becky and 'chicken nuggets', Mock/whether it be right or wrong, it will understandably attract comments but why would then they be any worse ..(if it's something that housemate had kind of made a thing of themselves as being a big part of who they were..)...than something like 'Mr Showbiz' which is fine or seems fine to attract negative comments ..or a housemate making a 'thing' about their sex life/male of female actually...
I don't really get it either tbh Ammi.

Is it maybe because it's seen as more personal to go for someones physical appearance?

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:09 AM #5

From a psychological point of view. People are more likely to point out their own faults, to lessen the blow of others' opinion.

So with that it mind I don't understand why any person, gets their back up over jibes that they themselves promote.
SaffyrBleu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:18 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I don't really get it either tbh Ammi.

Is it maybe because it's seen as more personal to go for someones physical appearance?
...hmmmm, but is it any more of a 'judgement' if it's something that a housemate is saying about themselves, highlighting in themselves which will then be picked up on because as you say, isn't that the way of it...it could be a huge insecurity with him and not something that he likes about himself at all and just stuff he says as a defence type thing...but then Simon could also have insecurities and his way is the Mr Showbiz way and the OTT irritating type way and what he 'hides' behind..or maybe people highlight their sex lives because they have insecurities with that ....I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it but they all seem quite similar..no better/no worse type thing...
Old 13-05-2015, 08:42 AM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Hmm...I think maybe it's because it was'nt how Simon looked that was the problem,It was how he was acting and so obviously desperate for attention and fame.He was acting like a complete idiot.He did'nt need to act like that.It was his TV persona in a desperate attention hungry bid to get fame.
Jack seems like a nice lad who just has a weight problem.You can see it all the time and he does'nt need to highlight it,He more than likely has heard every fat jibe going and has accepted it and makes a joke of it before everyone else does.He's not acted like an idiot yet,Although there's still time yet
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:52 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballPaul View Post
Hmm...I think maybe it's because it was'nt how Simon looked that was the problem,It was how he was acting and so obviously desperate for attention and fame.He was acting like a complete idiot.He did'nt need to act like that.It was his TV persona in a desperate attention hungry bid to get fame.
Jack seems like a nice lad who just has a weight problem.You can see it all the time and he does'nt need to highlight it,He more than likely has heard every fat jibe going and has accepted it and makes a joke of it before everyone else does.He's not acted like an idiot yet,Although there's still time yet
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:20 AM #9
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballPaul View Post
..yeah I get that Paul and maybe 'irritating' is different but then we don't know either if his 'persona' is something that he uses because of any taunts, jibes etc that he may have had with his sexuality when he was younger, you know his defence thing as well..I guess a better one would be ..(and I'm only saying females in particular because I think that if they make their sex lives something about themselves then they are often judged more harshly in terms of...slag/slut/*****.. etc..and things that are often said..)...it's something I personally hate but also understand in a way because it's something they've particularly highlighted themselves and left themselves open....but with Jack and his weight, it's more...no, that makes you a horrid person to refer to it when it's what he has referred to himself in describing himself ..and you can't go there, stop.....but is it not a very similar and much the same thing...
Old 13-05-2015, 11:00 AM #10

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

I think the difference between the things you mentioned Ammi are that when someone like Jack says somethimg self depreciating that it is a defence to say it himself and first. Whereas when someone speaks about sexual behaviour or conquests it is more that it is something they feel promotes them and is a boaast about themselves though others may not view it as classy. Simon with his flamboyance and catchphrases was very self promoting to the point that it irritated.

I think its the self promotion motive that people find distasteful.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 13-05-2015 at 11:03 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
appearance, housemate, physical