Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 PM #326

Favourites (more):
BB10: Bea
BB7: Lea

Favourites (more):

It's not better than the first because Billy isn't in it
Daniel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 PM #327
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_ View Post
It's not better than the first because Billy isn't in it
Speaking of Billy. His mum is hilarious in the 2nd one. Brilliant character.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM #328
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

Gonna write mine while I watch I Know What U Did.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:48 PM #329
-

-

Scream 2 (1997)
8/10

I used to be quite meh about this sequel, however having re-watched it for the first time in a couple of years last week, I've actually come to my senses about this film. It's a very good sequel and is definitely on par with the first film. The film basically takes place two years after the first film and two students are murdered whilst watching the sneak-preview of the new Stab film (which is based on what happened in Woodsboro in the first film). After that, a new streak of copy-cat killings begin taking place and Sidney finds herself at mercy to ghostface once again. The killers in this film are really good. I loved the character of Micky and Mrs Loomis/Debbie Salt. Great cast too, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jada Pinkett <3

Also a shout-out to Gale Weathers and her red streaks Gale's character in this film is enough to make Scream 2 brilliant. By far my favourite Gail Weathers.

Last edited by Jason.; 04-10-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 PM #330
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Unpopular opinion but I can't stand slasher movies
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 PM #331
Namaste

Namaste

I'm looking forward to Scream 2, better than the first imo.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:51 PM #332
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

Scream 2

Rewatched it today after years, so my opinion I had when I was 13 changed a lot. I'm probably gonna get a lot of heat for this, yet it's my personal taste. This is the weakest entry out of the 4. I'll talk about Scream 3 when we get to it.

Is anyone else really bothered by this opening scene? The only thing running through my mind was the Scary Movie parody. (the gloryhole, heh.) Will Smith's ex wife is annoying as hell, her death couldn't come soon enough. We get our remaining 4 survivors back, Randy being my favorite. For such a big character his death was rather disappointing. It's like seeing Gale getting her throat slit without a fight. But if one of the survivors had to get the chop, i wouldn't be crying over Dewy dying in that one scene and not coming back. The new meat isn't as memorable. Sid's new boyfriend was just there, but her friend was cool, I liked that whole cop car scene. They really underused Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Now for the killers... my god they're the worst of the Ghostfaces. Loomis had such a great motivation to do what she did, but she just sucks as a killer. Having a minion doing all the dirty work is weak. Mickey's reveal was just dull. My least favorite final act for sure.

Overall it feels rushed, seeing that it was released under a year after the original and went through rewrites totally makes sense. Like Wes didn't want to do another but the studio was on their knees begging. It does have some good moments. I just wish they spent more time with the script. I don't love it, I don't hate it. Yet it kept my attention.

5/10
Sorry'boutit

Old 04-10-2015, 08:51 PM #333
Simba Wiv Ya Friggin ‘Air

Location: You Chanelle from Wikkfield, wherever the **** you’re from

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: A'Whora
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Favourites (more):

I'll be watching this after the bachelor launch finishes
Daniel-X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:58 PM #334
-

-

Randy is overrated, IMO.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:36 PM #335
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

I love Randy

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM #336
Namaste

Namaste

Scream 2:
9/10

I honestly think Scream 2 is better than the original (which I especially enjoy saying about a film that included a whole scene dedicated to discussing how horror sequels are crap). Making a sequel to a movie as highly-regarded as Scream was a massive risk, but I think it paid off and then some. I love how they weren't afraid of overriding the original movie's happy ending for the few survivors by offing one of them in this one (and not just any, but the one who served as a sort of surrogate for the audience themselves). Randy's mid-movie murder was a bold move, and one I'm glad they made (as much as I loved Randy).

I also think the mystery element of Scream 2 surpassed that of the original. I found the reveals of Mickey and Debbie Salt (and then the subsequent reveal of her true identity) to be much more satisfying than the reveals of Billy and Stu. Mickey was kind of a Stu-esque character, but a more reigned back version so his reveal as a psychopath still works as a swerve I find.

Of course, the main reveal is that of apparent comic relief character Debbie Salt (who I loved throughout the whole movie by the way ) not only being the mastermind behind the slayings, but the mother of Billy Loomis. Even though I've seen this movie a good few times and know it's coming, I always absolutely love the scene of her reveal and the drastic change from the persona she's been using throughout the film and her true psychotic nature. Also, giving the new killer a real link to the original murders, rather than it just being a random copycat, was a great angle.

I know that the original ending was different but was re-written due to a script leak (Mrs Loomis was still the main killer but her accomplices were Derek and Hallie instead of Mickey). While Hallie being in on it would have been really cool (and I honestly wish they kept that in), I'm glad they didn't go down that route with Derek. The original already had the apparent red herring boyfriend be the killer, the sequel needed to do something different so I'm glad they did in the end.

What I want at the end of a whodunit story is to feel satisfied with the answers I got, and Scream 2 absolutely satisfied me. It also delivered in the slasher department. To be honest, as far as mystery slashers go, it's pretty close to perfect.

Rankings:
1. Scream 2 (9/10)
2. Scream (8/10)
3. Friday the 13th (7/10)
4. House of Wax (6.5/10)

Last edited by Lostie!; 05-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:23 PM #337
Banned

Banned

Scream 2

Scream 2 is an enjoyable sequel if a little bit overlong. Unlike most slashers out there, the characters are not just walking talking soon to be corpses but well realised characters that you can root for. The core cast is as entertaining as ever and the satire hasn't lost it's touch after 18 years either. Although it's not as good as the original I still think that Scream 2 is a genre classic in it's own right.

8/10

Scores
Scream 2 - 8/10
House of Wax - 5/10
Friday the 13th - 3/10
Scream - 9/10
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:43 PM #338
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Scream 2

Ranking - 9/10

Another great Scream movie, I still prefer the 1st one but this movie was just as enjoyable. The opening scene was great where we saw Phil Stevens get stabbed in ear and Maureen getting stabbed several times in-front of others. The characters was amazing the only unlike-able one was Cotton Weary. I found it amazing when we were told that the killer was following the pattern from the 1st one... Maureen,Steven and Cici(Casey). I was gutted when we saw Randy get stabbed because he is one of my favourite characters. Mickey being the killer was obvious but I rather him than another boyfriend. He's my favourite ghost face from the franchise and having a female villain was great because it shows females can be killers. Dewey and Gail are so cute together. I can re-watch this movie so may times.

Rankings
1.Scream (1996) - 9/10
2.Scream 2 - 9/10
3.Friday The 13th(1980) - 8/10
4.House Of Wax - 3/10

Spoiler:

Last edited by LukeB; 05-10-2015 at 02:59 PM.
LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:59 PM #339
-

-

Debbie Salt is hilar <3
Old 05-10-2015, 05:47 PM #340

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Night four - Scream 2

Usually I tend to think that horror movie sequels are often worse than the original but this was a really enjoyable sequel to the scream franchise. It opened well with a lot of tense built around Maureen's death scene and also it kept the jovial tone it had in its first instalment. The dark comedy is a great part of scream and I think that's why I enjoy it so much because the comedy isn't deliberate and doesn't make the movie loose it's tone of horror. I do prefer the opening to Scream 1 but that's only because it's probably my favourite opening to any horror movie but this one still holds strong I think. I liked the nostalgic feel taking you back to the first one with the movie 'Stab' and the scene of Casey's death.

Tying in with the dark comedy theme I liked seeing Randy return again for the sequel. I think he's a great character for comedic value and I really enjoyed his heated discussion between his peers about movie sequels. It was a great device for breaking the fourth wall as Randy was used also in the first movie. It's a shame that Randy met his fate I think as he is my favourite male character in the franchise but I guess that Dewey is needed for his love story with Gale. I was also shipping Randy and Sydney so it's a shame that they never got together as I think they would've made a great on screen couple and one I definitely would've rooted for.

My two joint favourite scenes in the film have to be Gale's chase scene in the theatre department and Cici's death. The build up to Cici's death was amazing and suspenseful. Her death was aesthetically pleasing also as it wasn't anticlimactic and didn't just see her stabbed by ghost face but her being thrown over her balcony for me made her death scene much more memorable and one I won't forget. Sarah Michelle Gellar also played the role of Cici brilliantly but I love Sarah M-G in everything she's in to be honest. I loved Gale's chase scene in the theatre department because it was really filled full of suspense and just watching her narrowly miss her fate at the hands of ghost face several times left me on the edge of my seat.

One criticism I do have is that the characters I couldn't connect with as much as I could in the first movie. Rose McGowan played Tatum amazingly in the best friend role but I felt that the girl who played Halle was just very average and I have no real opinion on her. I much preferred the friend group as a whole in the first movie and found them really developed but I couldn't tell you much about the friend group in this movie apart from whether or not they played a role as a good guy or a bad guy.

I liked the fact that Wes Craven didn't go down the route of making the boyfriend the killer again. About forty minutes into the film I was convinced they were going to go down the same route but I'm glad they didn't as it would just feel like they'd ran out of ideas. I think Mrs Loomis' motive as to being the killer was realistic and pleasing to the viewer. The actress who played her also played the role of a sociopathic 'woman scorned' killer really well and I loved the final showdown between Sydney and Mrs Loomis in the theatre with the theatre equipment cascading from the ceiling. Another point I liked about the killings was that they were copy cat killings and I think it was clever of Craven to add those details in.

Cotton Weary was a nice addition to the cast and I liked the subplot of him wanting to clear his name. For a short while I initially thought that maybe he had killed Sydney's mum but I'm glad he didn't because I liked his character being a protagonist. Although I couldn't really connect with him and did find him somewhat annoying.

Overall - 9/10

This simply scores one point lower than the original because I find the supporting cast a lot harder to connect with.

Overall scores:

Scream - 10/10
Friday the 13th - 2/10
House of wax - 8/10
Scream 2 - 9/10

Last edited by Daniel-X; 05-10-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:43 PM #341

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I will watch Scream 2 and IKWYD tonight, forgot hons
Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM #342

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Monday 5th October - I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

Four teens are in great danger one year after their car hits a stranger whose body they dump in the sea. Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddy Prinze Jr.

Reviewers please get your reviews in before 8PM tomorrow night!

Reviewers: Reviewers: Cal, Daniel_, armand,kay, Daniel-X, Tom, Lostie!, Xtopher, LukeB, Dezzy, Dollface, Moosething, Will1999, Jason, Fat.Rat, Amy Jade
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM #343
-

-

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
7/10

One of the many (not really) post-Scream slasher flicks to grace our screens in the late 90's, some may say this is a rip-off of Scream or Tesco Scream or whatever. And yes, it pretty much is. But that doesn't stop it being quite an enjoyable slasher flick on its own. The plot of this one is four teenagers hit a stranger whilst driving in a car and they dump his body in the sea and make a pact to never mention what they just did again or to never tell anyone and keep it a secret from everyone they know including the police. Fast forward a year later and the four friends have parted their own ways until they each begin to get notes reading "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and begin to get picked off one by one by a fisherman with a hook for hands.

Pretty much your typical slasher film - teenagers, killer, body-count. Being a massive slasher fan myself, of course I'm going to enjoy it. It's got nothing on Scream, ofc. But it's still a fun, enjoyable film that shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's got a good cast - Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillipe, Freddie Prinze Jr, Johnny Galecki. The killer is very creepy, imo. A fisherman with a slicker and a hook for hands. Quite original and something a bit different from the usual knife that's mainly used as a weapon in these sort of films. Plus, there's a brilliant chase scene with Sarah Michelle Gellar (far better than her Scream 2 one) which I just love and is worth watching just for that alone.

Last edited by Jason.; 05-10-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:31 AM #344

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Night five - I Know What You Did Last Summer

I think this movie has all the right ingredients to be something really special. But it sort of both works and doesn't work for me. The opening to the film is brilliant and I like films (especially horror films) that don't take forever to get going. It had a really great start and was only around fifteen minutes in when the hit and run took place. I found this to be one of the most interesting scenes as we got to see a little more about the characters and were beginning to scratch the surface with them. The scene were the group dumped the body in the docks was chilling when the supposedly dead fisherman opened his eyes and it really made me jump. There were actually many chilling and eerie moments in the movie such as Max's body in the boot with the crabs crawling out his mouth and the actual idea behind the killer.

However, I do think that for the next thirty/forty minutes or so the film gets incredibly boring. We find the poison pen letter to Julie with the movies title written on it then we see the group mainly speculate for a good three quarters of an hour as to what could be happening. Not much happens at all apart from Max's thirty second death scene in that huge chunk of the film. It gets a little tedious for my liking but I did like the scene between Julie, Helen and David Egan's sister Liz. I felt really empathetic towards her character and I liked the friendship duo of Helen and Julie.

Overall my favourite character in the film by far was Helen. I think she would have made a brilliant final girl type character and would've defied your typical final girl. I feel Julie is way too much of your typical final girl. Julie annoyed me on more than a couple of occasions but I did think Jennifer Love Hewitt portrayed her well but I just couldn't really warm to her character. I found Helen much more charismatic and her sister and fathers repulsive treatment of her made me like her even more as I felt so much sympathy towards her character. Helen's chase scene for me was also the most enjoyable part of the film and once again Sarah Michelle Gellar showed off her outstanding talent. I loved the tense build up and then the final kill at the end when it seems like she has finally gotten away from the killer </3

Onto the final scene. Even though I warmed to Julie a lot more in this scene, I did think that it was sort of crap. It just wasn't that good to be honest we just saw the killer chase Julie for a good fifteen minutes. I know I have expressed my love for cage scenes in the past and I do LOVE chase scenes but I did want to see the killers motive explained a bit more. He just basically said he didn't like that they murdered someone and that was about it. There was no communication or motive or reasoning and it just left me thinking 'Why?'. The final final scene with Julie in the changing rooms was great though with the fisherman bursting through the mirror. It left the mind to wonder what would happen with such an ambiguous ending.

Overall - 6/10

A good film but the tedious chunk in the middle and the messy final scene bring it down loads

Overall scores:

Scream - 10/10
Scream 2 - 9/10
House Of Wax - 8/10
I Know What You Did Last Summer - 6/10
Friday the 13th - 2/10

Last edited by Daniel-X; 06-10-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:56 AM #345
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

To me it's not one of the effective slashers out there. It's still a good time even if you don't give a crap about the story. Sarah is hands down the highlight of the film. The chase between her and the fisherman makes me so nostalgic. Also Ryan in this film was an early crush. Overall I don't have much to say about this time.

6/10
Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 AM #346
-

-

I forgot to mention it in my review, but I'm not really a fan of the final scene/showdown with Julie and the killer at all. It lacked suspense and it felt more like an action movie with her being stranded on the boat and running away from him and Ray trying to save her. It was quite a let down. I much prefer I Still Know's ending.

Also, I find that chunk where they're speculating quite interesting actually. You get to see more of the characters and there's that mystery sort of vibe to it that I really enjoy in these kind of films. I do agree though that it is quite a slow film. The deaths/chase scenes don't really begin till the last 20-30 minutes of the film.

Last edited by Jason.; 06-10-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 PM #347

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

7/10

I like this film - it's very suspenseful and entertaining. Standout character/actress is most certainly Sarah Michelle Gellar - brilliant performance and an excellent part in the movie - I enjoyed all her scenes and her chase scene is just amazing - easily the best aspect of the film It's also a little devastating that she's so close to surviving when the fisherman gets her</3 Julie and Ray are also entertaining but I wish Helen had been the lead - and I guess the other characters (Barry, Elsa and Max) provided us with some death scenes to keep the slasher element of the film there. The twist was okay - the film having us believe the killer was David Egan and then it turning out to be Ben Willis - and the showdown on the boat was quite the payoff for the film which sometimes had tedious points in it. However, I don't think there's actually much to the film and we've seen it all before in my honest opinion - plus sometimes it can get quite boring so I'm going to award it a 7/10. Helen
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:58 PM #348
Banned

Banned

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Like how Friday the 13th was created to be nothing more of a cash grab to ride on the coattails of Halloween, IKWYDLS's only reason for existing was to make cash off the fact that Scream had rejuvenated the slasher genre and it shows. The premise is interesting but the execution is sloppy and boring and the film itself suffers from identity issues and the ending is a complete wash. Trash.

2/10

Scores
I Know What You Did Last Summer - 2/10
Scream 2 - 8/10
House of Wax - 5/10
Friday the 13th - 3/10
Scream - 9/10

Last edited by Tom4784; 06-10-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:06 PM #349

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Scream 2

I love this film, I LOVE the killer reveal and Debora is an icon, just like her son. This film also contains possibly the most tense scene in the entire franchise with the car case and ghostface trying to open the door. It shook me to the tooth enamel. I disagree with others and don't think it's as good as the first, but it's still great and worth a watch.

8/10
Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM #350

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I know what you did last summer

For the most part I actually enjoy this film, the scene where they run the guy over is really tense an interesting imo, as others have said it gets a bit dull but the I c o n i c chase with Helen makes up for it, shame she actually dies though. The climax is decent enough but I don't really like who the killer turns out to be. Overall, a decent film

7/10

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
countdown, halloween, information, inside, tibb